PDA

View Full Version : Tennis Channel Open ???

Shooter
Feb 9th, 2009, 10:34 PM
What happened to this event which used to be held the week before Indian Wells? It was on the ATP and ITF calendars. I attended last year. It was a fun event. The women's challenger draw seemed pretty strong to me. I actually thought it would be upgraded to a WTA Tier IV event this year. Just goes to show what I know about tennis !!!

USTennisfan
Feb 10th, 2009, 12:44 AM
It was a men's ATP event, with an ITF add on. The Men's event was lost to South Africa. The USTA was upset that they didn't bid the event out, since they wanted to move it to Florida (Saddlebrook was the rumor), and the ATP did a closed sale to widen and satisfy South African Airlines, a major ATP sponsor. That's what killed the Womens event also.

CrossCourt~Rally
Feb 10th, 2009, 01:24 AM
It was a men's ATP event, with an ITF add on. The Men's event was lost to South Africa. The USTA was upset that they didn't bid the event out, since they wanted to move it to Florida (Saddlebrook was the rumor), and the ATP did a closed sale to widen and satisfy South African Airlines, a major ATP sponsor. That's what killed the Womens event also.

Thanks for the info. Hopefully we can get some sort of lead up to Miami and Indian Wells in the near future . :bounce: