PDA

View Full Version : How Would You Play The Williams'?

CJ07
Aug 30th, 2002, 11:43 PM
I'd move them from side to side, use alot of lobs and drop shots (like Chanda did) and use a lot of slice and hit the ball deep to try and throw them off, what do you think?

AjdeNate!
Aug 31st, 2002, 01:19 AM
See Monica Seles - Australian Open 2002. ;)

It's a tough proposition, but firstly serve high % of first serves and make very errors. What Monica was able to do to Venus in Oz was keep her on or beyond the baseline. If the Williams' are inside the baseline they'll blow you off the court - but if you can keep them on/behind the baseline, you are controlling the point and can gain the offensive. Also, short sharp angles...this is dangerous as if their not short enough or sharp enough - you'll eat it. They are beatable, but it takes a clean, smart match.

Eza
Aug 31st, 2002, 01:30 AM
Hope that they are slightly off their game and a bit injured ( Venus Vs Monica @OZ this year). Or play a controlled aggressive match and mix up your game. I still think if Hingis gets fitter and match tough, she is their biggest threat alongside Lindsay.

disposablehero
Aug 31st, 2002, 01:31 AM
You mean me, personally? I'd go into their bags and cut all the strings. You mean for a WTA player? Gamble on their serve, and switch tactics frequently, so they can't adjust to you. Keep them behind the baseline, run them, and wrong-foot them.

Volcana
Aug 31st, 2002, 01:44 AM
Serena, I'd try to beat to the net. Let her pass me. Why stay onthe baseline and lose.

Venus, I would slice at her feet, force her to come to net and half-volley. Yeah she's has such a long reach she's hard to pass, but she's not as smooth as Serena at net. I could maybe get a few passes by her. Don't let her stay onthe baseline. She's too comfy back there.

TheBoiledEgg
Aug 31st, 2002, 01:46 AM
what you need is a female version of Fabrice Santoro ;)

Sam L
Aug 31st, 2002, 03:05 AM
I'd play my normal game, i.e. hit hard from the baseline, go for ridiculous angles and DTL shots ;)

I'd lose but so does many other stubborn players on the WTA ;)