PDA

View Full Version : What kind of forehand do you have?

2ace2
Aug 30th, 2002, 10:30 PM
I used to have an eastern forehand, but just recently I've changed it to a semi-western, because I think you've got more possibilities with it. But I didn't expect it to be so effective! The shots that I hit with a semi-western forehand have a perfect length and a difficult bounce. I'm also really amazed about the speed you can generate with such a grip! I'm really glad I've changed it!
:D

Lubidani
Aug 30th, 2002, 10:49 PM
I use Semi-Western with an open stance forehand ;)

Mark43
Aug 30th, 2002, 11:23 PM
I modeled my forehand after Bjorn Borg when I was 10, then Hana Mandlikova around 15 and from then on Steffi Graf.

Of course my forehand has never even remotely resembled any of the above mentioned, 'cept in my wild on court imagination. It's probably more Tracy Austin than anything.

Berlin_Calling
Aug 31st, 2002, 12:46 AM
I use a Western Forehand, its my favorite shot :)

JonBcn
Aug 31st, 2002, 02:35 AM
I have a fairly normal forehead, thankyou for asking ;)

Couver
Aug 31st, 2002, 02:37 AM
I have a Western Forehand.. but it's like my worst side. I make so, so, so many errors on that side LOL.

SM
Aug 31st, 2002, 03:08 AM
i dont know just hit..lol..yesterday i played from 11am-6.30pm :o with some friends inc. someone from this board who i wont embaress...anyway i found i hit it flat and deep at first, by the end of the day it started to be topspin and midcourt...by the end i was barely able to swing it ;)!

AjdeNate!
Aug 31st, 2002, 03:12 AM
2 handed forehand, as if there's anyother type to use.... ;)

mboyle
Aug 31st, 2002, 03:15 AM
I have a semi as well. I love my forehand, but my backhand, which used to be my best shot, is now a major weakness. Oh well! Sometimes it is on fire and is still my best shot, but usually it can make some wild errors. My backhand volley however, is pretty good.

GoDominique
Aug 31st, 2002, 03:16 AM
A bad one.

Williams Rulez
Aug 31st, 2002, 03:40 AM
Semi-western... closed stance most of the time

Sam L
Aug 31st, 2002, 03:53 AM
I know what an open stance and closed stance are, and I always hit open stance. But I'm not sure about the grips :confused:

Can somebody explain?

kournikovafan13
Aug 31st, 2002, 05:55 AM
I have something between a semi-western and a western. I don't like it though, its my weaker wing:(

jel-x
Aug 31st, 2002, 06:00 AM
I've got an eastern forehand but I tend to hit with WAY too much topspin. So I'm trying out the semi-western.

LucasArg
Aug 31st, 2002, 06:36 AM
eastern forehand too:wavey:

2ace2
Aug 31st, 2002, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by jel-x
I've got an eastern forehand but I tend to hit with WAY too much topspin. So I'm trying out the semi-western.
hehe, I did the same thing! :D

I've got the information I needed to change from this site, it's very useful!
http://www.mysportsguru.com/CDA/CDA_Homepage/CDA_Sport_Homepage/1,1749,1-1012,00.asp
in the main menu, choose take a lesson. All stances, forehands, backhands, serves... are mentioned there!
:D

Sam L
Sep 1st, 2002, 09:48 AM
Thanks to that website I just realised I have a semi-western forehand! :D

Thanks Bart! :wavey:

2ace2
Sep 1st, 2002, 11:52 AM
:kiss:

matthias
Sep 1st, 2002, 11:59 AM
good question, i donīt know. :confused:

but she is okay :D

Monica_Rules
Sep 1st, 2002, 12:28 PM
I have a semi western forehand very similar to Andy Roddicks but according to my friend when i come to net i change to a normal forehand and flaten it out!

Although my backhand is much more consistant and can hit great shots when my forehand is on i hit amazing shits hit very hard.But thats rare!

Come-on-kim
Sep 1st, 2002, 12:41 PM
semi-western

Verve
Sep 1st, 2002, 05:29 PM
I've got a Full Western forehand. I'd like to switch to a semi-western, but you've got this IMO stiff swing when you play with a semi-western grip. I enjoy the big swing on the western forehand a lot more! Any 'swing-tips' for a semi-western forehand? (not only where your contact-zone's supposed to be, but also on which height you start your swing, or ain't that important?)

coler85
Sep 2nd, 2002, 12:20 AM
i hit a very very flat, open stance forehand

Oasiatic
Sep 2nd, 2002, 02:00 AM
I'd like to think I have a forehand similar to Lindsay Davenport's. Well it starts out that way and then by the end of the match its some crappy shot that barely clears the net.

joaco
Sep 2nd, 2002, 02:21 AM
I used to hit shots with huge loads of topspins. Now I changed it to a semi-western grip, whereas I hit most of my shots pretty flat and strong. When I'm hitting a forehand while running I like to end the follow-through just as Pete Sampras or Lindsay Davenport, on top of my head, it's one of my best shots...

Sam L
Sep 2nd, 2002, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by joaco
When I'm hitting a forehand while running I like to end the follow-through just as Pete Sampras or Lindsay Davenport, on top of my head, it's one of my best shots...

I love doing that too, but I thought that creates a lot of topspin? :confused:

oggie
Sep 2nd, 2002, 05:06 AM
I just too changed my forehand grip from eastern to semi-western, but I'm not really sure which is better. Sometimes with semi-western I just tottaly mis-hit the ball, other times I hit it well with much more topspin. Does Lindsay by the way use the eastern grip, because that is what it looked like to me?

CoryAnnAvants#1
Sep 2nd, 2002, 05:21 AM
I have an eastern forehand, but it becomes more western as the match goes on for some reason, especially if I'm losing. If it's a tight match, I start hitting off my back foot way too much, which I'm trying to work out. I've seen videotape of that and it's a miracle I don't fall flat on my ass.