PDA

View Full Version : I wish these women would step it up.

TexasTech Guy
Aug 30th, 2002, 06:47 PM
What is the key to getting women to play on the williams level.

I would say bulk up like Serena, but then you look at Venus and shes totally skinny. So whats the key? I think its 50/50

50- Speed you have to be able to run a hell of alot of balls back and the other 50 would just have to be natural talent.

Lindsay for example has that natural talent but not the speed!

nysaga
Aug 30th, 2002, 06:53 PM
u need to get yourself a man so you wouldn't be worrying so much about how other ladies are doing..lol

how do you know they aren't try their best?

Monica_Rules
Aug 30th, 2002, 07:08 PM
I think a good serve is something you need.

The good thing is the new bread of players

Hantuchova,Bovina,Foretz do have big serves when they can be bothered using it!

Volcana
Aug 30th, 2002, 07:08 PM
Hantuchova runs fast enough, hits hard enough, has a big enough serve. Now, how strong is she mentally? How much stronger can she get mentally? Against top five players, a mental lapse become a service break very qucikly.

Jem
Aug 30th, 2002, 08:16 PM
Face it,

Venus and Serena are playing a level above the rest of the field at the moment. Capriati has the ground game to challenge them, but her serve can't do the job -- and she's mentally flaky against Venus and Serena.

Davenport hits the cleanest ball in the game, but her movement hurts and her head drops at the wrong times.

Mauresmo has the talent, but lacks the belief in herself and is a head case all her own.

Hingis -- she's a mere shadow of the player she used to be. I watched her match against Serra-Zanetti and was appalled. If I was her, I'd have spent the summer retooling my game and making some necessary changes. She has to mprove that serve and get to the net to revitalize her career.

As for the rest, Dokic, Clijsters, Henin, Seles, Hantuchova -- they'll get a few wins here and there, but there's a wide gulf between where they are and the top of the game.

Rollo
Aug 30th, 2002, 08:26 PM
Well put Jem.

Technically I'd say what's needed is a good spin second serve.
No woman has ever been able to hold serve like a man. They all get broken a lot, including Serena and Venus.

As of now Serena has the best second serve. Head and shoulders above the rest.

Mentally it'll take some bitchy(my words) arrogance. The "I want to be expect to be #1" attitude is key. The only one with that on the horizon other than Capriati is Hantuchova. Unlike Jennifer, Daniela has the whole package in her arsenal. Does she have what it takes mentally? I don't know that, but I hope it's fun finding out!

harloo
Aug 30th, 2002, 08:31 PM
Jem, I think you are right.

It still amazes me how Lindsay lost all that weight, and still moves the same. I thought she would be faster, but it's still like she was when she left. She has no problems with beating everyone else, but when the Williams make her move she hits alot of errors. I would say that's the big difference between her are the sisters.

disposablehero
Nov 12th, 2002, 06:06 AM
Your wish is granted.

Jem, the "Rest OF The Field" isn't so bad, apparently. :D

earthcrystal
Nov 12th, 2002, 06:26 AM
I'm just gonna keep following you around for grins and giggles. ;)

"Topaz"
Nov 12th, 2002, 11:12 AM
I wish these women would step it up.

Some have done it this week. It's also obvious that it's not easy and may not be sustainable.

Raisin
Nov 12th, 2002, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by TennisPower
I wish these women would step it up.

Some have done it this week. It's also obvious that it's not easy and may not be sustainable.

No doubt about that, but will they do on it consistently or will it be once in a blue moon:D