PDA

View Full Version : I felt sorry for Jennifer Capriati

treufreund
Aug 30th, 2002, 04:57 PM
Jennifer played a great first round match and suddenly she is confronted with rude and hurtful comments from her chief rivals' father.

USA just show a video clip of Jennifer's comments and the clip really brought Jennifer's quotes to life. Jennifer appeared deeply hurt, not so much angry, but rather offended and even sad. I think it hurts her how the press handles these types of situations. To top it of the NY Times has written an unnecessarily harsh article just because Jennifer, who is busy training, was not up to snuff on the Title IX issue. I had figured that Jennifer's comments were said in anger but after seeing those quotes I felt really sorry for Jenn. I know there are a lot of Jenn haters but what they did to Jenn is unfair. :sad:

veryborednow
Aug 30th, 2002, 05:04 PM
I said somewhere else it's amazing the U turn done by the press regarding the Williams' and Jen. Would you have thought this, this time last year?

I'm not seeing why Jen should be expected to know what Title IX is, she's never been to college, and went to a sports school.

I hope this doesn't affect her concentration ... They seem to be doing everything in their power to do so.

brunof
Aug 30th, 2002, 05:12 PM
God, I love Jennifer Capriati for the Champion she is...

I think of myself as brilliant, although I do not know what Title 9 is...Sorry...

LONG LIVE JENNIFER CAPRIATI! :)

QUEENLINDSAY
Aug 30th, 2002, 05:15 PM
FORGET ABOUT THEM JENNIFER!!!!!!!!

JUST Concentrate on your Tennis and they would all shut up!!!!

express
Aug 30th, 2002, 05:16 PM
she's clearly no longer the media darling she once was. that's what you get for cuursing off Billie Jean King. no sympathy here, sorry.

mishar
Aug 30th, 2002, 05:18 PM
Oh give me a break. Sure the press has been unfair but..

Jennifer has had a charmed life. When she was 13, she was a millionaire even before she played a match, on the cover of magazines, America's sweetheart, etc... Live by the sword, die by the sword. Criticism comes with being on top, Venus and Serena certainly have had their share, Martina and Monica also, its tough but the price you pay for the fame and money and opportunities.

I don't think anyone was harshing on Jennifer because she was not able to articulate as well as Lindsay the current debate about changing Title IX. Lindsay didn't go to college either, but she is obviously a totally different priority.

But I think mary Carillo (and others) were shocked that Jen had never even heard of Title IX which is the single most important bit of legislation in the history of women's sports. Jennifer is 26, not 16. She's had her successes. She should be a little more respectful towards the movement that allows her to enjoy such fame and fortune.

brunof
Aug 30th, 2002, 05:21 PM
It is highly unlikely we know the life Jennifer has lead. Do we know what is going on in her head?

mishar
Aug 30th, 2002, 05:21 PM
And obviously Jennifer is still playing great tennis, and that's what she's going to focus on.

And she has her fans too, which she certainly deserves, who like her feisty style.

But express is right. When you call BJK a "fucking d*ke" as JC is reputed to have said you lose media sympathy. It's just karma.

Couver
Aug 30th, 2002, 05:22 PM
Well the whole issue with title IX I feel is unfair. I mean not many of us know all those details. So chewing her out for that is awful.

As for what she said regarding a chief rivals father. Well all I can do is laugh. Jennifer enjoys commenting on her chief rivals, and usually it's nothing good. Since her rivals take the higher road, I'm glad they have someone to sling mud with Jennifer.

mishar
Aug 30th, 2002, 05:28 PM
WEll the WTA did send out a pamphlet just last month about TItle IX to all its players.
Anyway, is she a child? No one ever talked to her about title IX.

Her ignorance is not a crime. As griffin said on the other thread, it's probably true of many athletes today who live in a little self-absorbed bubble. It's just a sad contrast to someone like Lindsay.

Serena y Monica
Aug 30th, 2002, 06:04 PM
Yes...Poor poor Jennifer. How rude of Richard to suggest she stop cursing like a sailor and listen to her parents...the nerve, the audacity. I'm guessing It doesn't strike you that there should be no need for him to say stop cursing on court...can't help but shake my head...unbelievable.

She's stupid as expressed by her "Ums" and "you knows", not to mention "it's like" how about the stupidy involved in saying someone is ignorant to say you should stop using profanity...which I've always been to is a sure sign of stupidity. The title 9 bs just highlights the level of said stupidy.

The profanity laced tirades and the snipping at opponents demonstrates the classlessness...at least Richad knows knows he has no class.

Gonzo Hates Me!
Aug 30th, 2002, 06:05 PM
Yeah, I definitely didn't know what Title IX is-- I still don't really, lol!

Nimi
Aug 30th, 2002, 06:08 PM
Ok, i am stupid, i remember myself saying "You know" once...

idiot...

veryborednow
Aug 30th, 2002, 06:11 PM
aaaaaaaannnnnd it's turned into a bashing thread. oh joy.

Maybe Lindsay who's been SO busy playing tennis this year *ahem* had time to read the pamphlet .. hmm?

Why does mishar not sensor the fucking and only the dyke? I hope loads of posters now hate you for cursing ... snore.

Question to mishar - where was that reported?

Im fascinated that there seems to be more coverage on sites about this Title IX than the war against Iraq... overreacting?

Serena y Monica
Aug 30th, 2002, 06:34 PM
niminator

I'm agreeing Jennifer is an idiot. That should be obviuos by now.

I too may be an idiot...after all once you realize someone is an idiot the level of idiocy shouldn't really matter...but damned I can't help but marvel at the infinite nature of Jenns. "It's like" totally amazing...I'm like so sure it could be vaster than the universe...you know;)

mn73
Aug 30th, 2002, 06:48 PM
Yeah, right, cos I read all pamphlets that come from head office at my work!!! :)

AmonRa777
Aug 30th, 2002, 06:49 PM
Jennifer has been the teflon darling of the media for far too long...Let us never forget all the sour grapes and tasteless comments she has made about others..

The comments Richard made should have offended no one...he spoke the absolute truth...it is Jennifers fault someone had to speak out about her boorish behavior publicly..

Jennifer is a self absorbed arrogant jerk and is simply reaping her sown harvest!!!

Nimi
Aug 30th, 2002, 06:55 PM
Go away junior member.

Serena y Monica, at least we agree about you being an idiot :)

Btw, all the Serena fans who call Jenn a sour loser... LMAO!

Serena y Monica
Aug 30th, 2002, 06:59 PM
Birds generally come home to roost.

Mark Newman anyone in America who's taken a Jr high Civics class should now what title iv is...Oh but I forgot...Jennifer was like totally busy toking out and shoplifting, there was like you know...um no time to do civics home-work...Duh! You know.

Jericho
Aug 30th, 2002, 07:15 PM
I find this amusing now that the media starts to hate on jen now people feel sorry for her, boo hoo, same thing happened to venus and serena last year, they got no synmpathy, so why should capriati...

JCFan
Aug 30th, 2002, 07:26 PM
mishar, explain where that bit of info was "reported." No need to start another rumor like that unless you have some kind of evidence.

And I think if everyone were to be honest on this board, half the people saying they know all about title IX probably don't have a clue. Not one word of it in any of my classes from elementary through college. So Jen not knowing doesn't surprise me at all. And listening to Venus talking, she was pretty good at BSing her way through that. Notice it was thoroughly explained to her before she had any comments.

treufreund
Aug 30th, 2002, 08:03 PM
Poor Jenny! Basher, haters, detractors, doubters and naysayers not welcome in this thread! I will unleash Stefano on you!

Serena y Monica
Aug 30th, 2002, 08:08 PM
JCFan

You are the one bsing your way through this. I am older but just to make sure I asked my son if he know what title IV was and he did. To him it's why some schools can't have mens wrestling teams. I explained to him that sorry as both a football player and wrestler he should know it more likely football or should I say the number of players they carry that effects other mens sports.

Oh and I suppose you don't know what civil rights are either or how about sufferage...um...Roe v Wade? No? Then explain to me please what you learned in civics.

If someone asked you what you'd say to the President re: changes he's trying to make on a particular issue and you didn't know what the changes were would you say " Um I've like no idea what title IV is or I'm not familiar with the policies and as I'm not I can't comment? Oh yeah you'd take the Jenn route and say well like um I'm sorry but just a bit clueless, I didn't go over civil rights issues in social studies in my school....um, back to tennis.

Rollo
Aug 30th, 2002, 08:14 PM
This is a first-SerenayMonica thinks anyone who doesn't know what title 9 is must be an idiot. Since Venus didn't know either
she's an idiot too:eek:

All props are due to Davenport for knowing, but she's the exception, not the rule. When Davenport graduated from high school(a real school, not correspondence) she showed her diploma to the rest of the girls in the locker room cause they had never seen one!:)

The press has declared open season on Jennifer. It's probably a bit of karmic justice. After all, last year she could do no wrong. A lot of criticism directred her way may be justified. This is not.

As for the WTA putting out a pamphlet-get real. :rolleyes:
Do we all open every piece of junk mail we get daily? How many bulletins and pamhlets does the WTA put out? And if you're not American(over 70% of the WTA at last count) why should you care about title 9?

Bella
Aug 30th, 2002, 08:15 PM
Mishar's delivery is manipulative. ".....When you call BJK ....." presents it as a fact before he drops in the "is reputed to have said" and then uses it as a fact, again, to explain why she's getting what she deserves.

The effect is to sell it. How many times do you think others will quote it now?

Like other's have asked: Where's the source?

earthcrystal
Aug 30th, 2002, 08:19 PM
Sorry Treu, you don't get to start a thread and state an opinion and then "banish" differing ones. :p

I think it's pathetic for an AMERICAN SPORTSWOMAN who is filthy rich BECAUSE OF Title IX not to know what the hell it is! "Jenn focuses on tennis", "she doesn't have time to read a pamphlet", "she never went to college"....blah, blah, blah ad nauseum. There is no excuse. None. Period.

As for the people here who don't know what Title IX is, (as if that somehow excuses Jenn) I would suspect that most of them are a)quite young; b)not from the states; or c)people who spend way too much time reading message boards and not enough time reading newspapers.

nysaga
Aug 30th, 2002, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Serena y Monica
niminator

I'm agreeing Jennifer is an idiot. That should be obviuos by now.

That "idiot" is a multi-millionaire living the good life and your smart@ss is stuck on this messageboard day and night ;) :p

Who's the idiot now? lol

Serena y Monica
Aug 30th, 2002, 08:25 PM
Rollo

Venus may be an idiot...but an idiot about Bushes agenda not title IV least not that I could tell by listening to her response.

It's aboot time Jennifers chickens found their way back to her farm. She's a mean petty classless stupid human being.

Oh and Niminator who cares if Jenn is a sore loser...I hope she doesn't like losing any more than Serena does...but when Serena starts frothing at the mouth with profane tirades, flips off the fans who pay to see her or calls BJK a f'ing dyke ( and yes I know for a fact or I should say that's what Shaunessy says she said to Billy in front of the entire team)...then I'll say the same things about her that I say about Jennifer.

roots
Aug 30th, 2002, 08:32 PM
Serena y Monica: Boy you do get worked up don't you. Some pretty strong statements in your posts. I think you are way out of line with your latest "addition":

It's aboot time Jennifers chickens found their way back to her farm. She's a mean petty classless stupid human being.

Honestly, you are pathetic. Venus did not know either anything about Title IX. She said:"It's the first time she had neard about it and would have to be more informed on the matter before making an intelligent comment". I have to give it to the girl that she is very eloquant, more than Jenn. But, she too didn't have a clue about title IX. Go the the US Open site and listen to Venus' interview from yesterday, that's exactly what she said.

veryborednow
Aug 30th, 2002, 08:34 PM
She's a mean petty classless stupid human being.

She's right. I don't have class. What do I need class for? I'd rather have no class and have money than having class and no money - Richard Williams

Take a clue from your guru.

Serena y Monica
Aug 30th, 2002, 08:37 PM
Actually Nysaga the same person is still an idiot. Just a rich idiot, the world is full of them.

By the way I'm not hurting for funds. Doing rather well. Though I must confess I was smart enough to marry and divorce a rich idiot, who left me a multi millionaire...not as multi as Jennifer of course but multi all the same;). Guess that's why I can sit on this board day and night, and wax on about the level of her idiocy and exchange witty reparte with the likes of you.

roots
Aug 30th, 2002, 08:43 PM
Serena y Monica, I forgot to add FUCK OFF!

Serena y Monica
Aug 30th, 2002, 08:45 PM
And what was she responding to Roots...the questioner saying that Bush was trying to change title IV? Okay. She then went on to speak about the purpose of title IV and why it would be sad to lose it. Yeah that sounds like she didn't know anything about it.

And yeah.. I probably am pathetic but I'm not mean spirited I'd never call anyone a f'ing dyke, I'm very well informed about the world I live in. And though I don't really work...I do volunteer many hours to local charities here in AZ...some of us have to be pathetic that way;).

roots
Aug 30th, 2002, 08:52 PM
Nice little volunteer story Mother Teresa!

Funny how you're able to turn around Venus' words to fit the image you want of her. She didn't have a clue either, plain and simple! Get off Capriati's back!

Kiki
Aug 30th, 2002, 09:02 PM
You said it earthcrystal. There is no excuse for Jennifer's ignorance. She should of known about Title IX.

BrianII
Aug 30th, 2002, 09:09 PM
Venus was completely aware of what title IX was ...she didn't know what bushes intentions towards it were.

Iconoclast
Aug 30th, 2002, 09:10 PM
The Roman numeral 'V' is the equivalent of 5, not 10. So much for stupidity.

Serena y Monica
Aug 30th, 2002, 09:11 PM
Roots

I'm sorry that you're backing a big friggin loser. But you see Venus comments one way I see them another...unfortunately for Jenny fans...there's only one way to view "yeah, like I've no idea what title IV is"..."back to tennis" ;)

Mother Teresa I ain't...mind you I am being modest. But why be upset with me...I'm just stating an opinion...Jenny's words speak for themselves...like, you know.

Oh and I'm not saying there's really anything wrong with one say like or even you know...as long as what comes after it has just a bit of substance...I mean really wasn't that the point of Clueless...no not Capriatti(though she is) the movie. :).

c2
Aug 30th, 2002, 10:19 PM
quote..

"I think it's pathetic for an AMERICAN SPORTSWOMAN who is filthy rich BECAUSE OF Title IX not to know what the hell it is! "Jenn focuses on tennis", "she doesn't have time to read a pamphlet", "she never went to college"....blah, blah, blah ad nauseum. There is no excuse. None. Period."

I beg to differ...Jenn is not rich because of Title 9... the decision was made around 10 years ago and affected COLLEGE athletics only. Jenn did not go to college, and her career as a prodigy was already well launched by that time.

Bella
Aug 30th, 2002, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by earthcrystal
I think it's pathetic for an AMERICAN SPORTSWOMAN who is filthy rich BECAUSE OF Title IX not to know what the hell it is! There is no excuse. None. Period.

.....As for the people here who don't know what Title IX is.....who spend way too much time reading message boards and not enough time reading newspapers.

Tennis developed outside of public schools. It developed privately. Jen didn't make a dime because of Title IX. Is there an excuse for your ignorance? Unlike you, she didn't claim to know about something she was unfamiliar with.

Bella
Aug 30th, 2002, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Serena y Monica ......or calls BJK a f'ing dyke ( and yes I know for a fact or I should say that's what Shaunessy says she said to Billy in front of the entire team)

So, you are quoting Meghann Shaughnessy as the source, is that correct?

Where did you get that information? Just saying that she is the source without a reference to a credible place you got that information about Meghann is not providing a source. Right now, two of you are passing this information on. Are you Mishar's source?

Meesh
Aug 30th, 2002, 11:28 PM
Title IV didn't effect Jennifer at all! The media probably wished Anna K. was American so they could ask her the same question and then "hang her" w/ her response! This just goes to show how the media can totally turn on you. We've seen this with other players. Probably the reason Lindsay knew about Title IV was that her mother and/or sister was involved in volleyball in College (i forget if it was the mom or sis). Her mom now is the Prez of the Sourthern Cal. Volleyball Association.
Cut Jenn some slack!

Serena y Monica
Aug 31st, 2002, 12:01 AM
I can't speak for Mishar I can tell you I know people who know her and play at the same club she practices at...and word around the club is that she said after their last fight Jennifer called BJK a f@cking dyke. The direct quote as I heard it was "why the f am I even listening to a fing dyke"

magassi
Aug 31st, 2002, 12:10 AM
Treufreund, why did you even bother to post this thread here? There are very few people who like Jennifer on this board, and a ton of other HATERS who will fabricate, take out of context, down right lie, and post heresay to hurt Jennifer. I think you would have been better to post this is Jen's Den...

earthcrystal
Aug 31st, 2002, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by Bella

Tennis developed outside of public schools. It developed privately. Jen didn't make a dime because of Title IX. Is there an excuse for your ignorance? Unlike you, she didn't claim to know about something she was unfamiliar with.

Unlike me, she doesn't have enough brain cells to form an opinion. You have no call to attack me personally, so btw, go fuck yourself. I am not now, nor have I ever been, a jock. I don't make a living from sports. So sue me for not realizing that tennis developed outside the system. I do know enough about the issue to know that Jenn sure as hell should know more than I do.

To quote Serena y Monica: I'm sorry that you're backing a big friggin loser.

But that's your problem. Thankfully, I support a player that can speak to this issue and doesn't run around cursing out/denegrating the pioneer of her sport with homophobic slurs. Ergo, I won't waste anymore of my valuable time discussing the innumerable shortcomings of this mental midget or sparring with sheep-like fans of your ilk, when I could be something far more productive.

Serena y Monica
Aug 31st, 2002, 01:12 AM
Btw EC

You're not that far off. Tennis did develope outside of Universities but if not for Title IV and the struggles that women in general went through to put women's athletics and womens rights in general to the forefront imagine what Womens tennis would be. Also think of it this way. The reason tennis was elitist was because it was played primarily in country clubs amongst the wealthy. Lots of women came from not so wealthy backgrounds,(BJK mother used to sew her outfits) their first access to excellent coaching was in college...Billie was on the front lines pushing for title IV because without oppurtunity there could never be equality, without equality there would be no 900,000.00 purses for Capriati...no endorsement deals, so you see she has benefited from title IV as has every woman in America, whether athlete or not.

Kart
Aug 31st, 2002, 01:35 AM
I feel a bit sorry for JenCap after reading this thread ... she doesn't get off lightly :eek:.

Playa
Aug 31st, 2002, 01:39 AM
Venus said she needed to educate herself on the legislation Bush is proposing, not on Title 9 itself,

And true... please why don't you feel sorry for Hingis, I mean look at her..

Leave Jen fans and Williams fans ALONE !!

Serena y Monica
Aug 31st, 2002, 02:01 AM
Iconoclast...

Thank you for educating me. Don't know why I keep typing V instead of X...but thank you for correcting me...back to the issue which was not mistakes (though again I thank you for pointing mine out) but understand the legislation and what it has done for women...;)

Couver
Aug 31st, 2002, 02:26 AM
Wow!! This got out of hand really fast. I'm sure Jennifer is sorry and she will not be taken unawares like this again. Yes she made a mistake but give the girl a break...I mean we have all made mistakes.

I actually only cared about Jen VS Richard LOL. I find it funny that Jennifer got mad at him. She always comments on Venus & Serena. So if she's willing to get into the girls business, why can't their father get into hers?

Bella
Aug 31st, 2002, 02:48 AM
I can't speak for Mishar I can tell you I know people who know her and play at the same club she practices at...and word around the club is that she said after their last fight Jennifer called BJK a f@cking dyke. The direct quote as I heard it was "why the f am I even listening to a fing dyke"

You said it came from Meghann Shaughnessy after the fight and was said in front of the team. That would be the Fed Cup Team, right? These people you know who play at the same club as Jennifer are playing and practicing with Meghann? Did they say Meghann is telling people this?

The "word around the club" source. :rolleyes:

Bella
Aug 31st, 2002, 03:02 AM
Billie was on the front lines pushing for title IV because without oppurtunity there could never be equality, without equality there would be no 900,000.00 purses for Capriati...no endorsement deals, so you see she has benefited from title IV as has every woman in America, whether athlete or not.

Does it get any weaker? There is no chain there.

That's as weak as Earth Crystal's explanation that (as of now, apparently) the qualifier for whether someone should be criticized for not knowing about Title IX is if they make their living from professional sports. And, apparently, she is now stating that Jen made a homophobic smear against Billie Jean King. I wonder if her source is Mishar or Serena y Monica. (Serena y Monica the poster, not the two players.)

Williams Rulez
Aug 31st, 2002, 03:39 AM
Some people will just twist Venus' words to make her look as misinformed as Jennifer... :rolleyes:

And what has Venus gotta do with this thread anyway?

Rocketta
Aug 31st, 2002, 04:18 AM
this thread is a totally riot!

I do think you'll are being too hard on Jenn, she really doesn't have much formal eduction. I'm not saying that as a slam but as a reason why she could be soo out of the loop. Which she apparently made clear. I almost feel sorry for her because if nothing else she still does not know how to handle tough questions. You would think that someone with her past history with the media would be a little more media savy. I say almost because I can't feel too sorry for someone who has more money than me.

Serena y Monica---Can you adopt me? :D LOL I'm tired of being poor. :(

treufreund
Aug 31st, 2002, 07:03 AM
The reason I started this thread is because I saw Jenn's reaction when asked about Richard's comments. I think Jenn has been ABUSED, yes that's right, ABUSED by the press for so long. This is a girl who cried and begged to stop being tortured by the press and they have started up on her again.

Sure she may have made some mistakes recently but the press has presented a one-sided view of things and Jenn can't get her side of the story out there. they always have the last word on her. The look of sadness on Jennifer's face when asked that type of question after performing in front of America on Arthur Ashe stadium was one of true hurt and my heart ached for this girl.

I think she is misunderstood and some people on this board who claim to be progressive, empathic people seem to want to demonize her and see her suffer. I don't care what anyone says, for me, she has been done wrong in so many ways. When people see her losing it on court they go in the attack mode but we all know that she is a girl trying to fight a lot of demons and I hate to see people jump on someone in pain.

Some of you are so consumed with hate for her that you cannot even ALLOW yourselves to feel sorry for her or imagine how you would feel in her circumstances. Where is Jennifer's forum to really defend herself? She tries to answer question simply and honestly.

Also why do the people who attack seem to forget that it was Jennifer Capriati who reached out to Corina Morariu and even mentioned her in her French Open victory speech. And what Jennifer's touching dedication to one of her fans who was dying of a terminal illness. Jennifer visited him in the hospital several times and does charity events. It was Jennifer who sent a letter of condolence to martina hingis when she was injured and it was jennifer who was classy enough to admit in front of the world that martina should have won the finals of Australia. So people can go on and on about her bad side but what about all the good? Funny how they forget that.

Larrybid
Aug 31st, 2002, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by treufreund
The reason I started this thread is because I saw Jenn's reaction when asked about Richard's comments. I think Jenn has been ABUSED, yes that's right, ABUSED by the press for so long. This is a girl who cried and begged to stop being tortured by the press and they have started up on her again.

Please Tre, you say Jen was "hurt" when asked about Richards comments? Well let me ask you this..Did Jenny care about anybody's feelings being hurt when Jenny mouthed off about how the sisters playing schedule was the key to thier getting to the top of the rankings? DID YOU CARE ABOUT ANYBODIES FEELINGS BRING HURT? Does Jenny care about the feelings of people put off by her cursing into a live mike when she's mad about something on court, or cussin'out her Fed Cup Captain? It seems to me she's totally oblivious to feelings of the targets of her angry tirades..why should you ask us to care about hers? I expect a thouthful reply.

Look, do I think the press was a little harsh about this Title 9 flap...yeah. But, it'll be over tommorow and I think she got off easy after the embassment with the Fed Cup. Additionally, the press never called her on her goofy response to Richard Williams, given her seeming inability to resist taking public shots at other players.

I think the press has gotten tired of her act (its easier for them to turn on her when she hasn't won anything recently). I also think that there are consequenses for not knowing how to deal with the press (which is part of her job), after having been in the game 10 years! I will feel sorry for her when she sez she's sorry for the foul stuff she's done or said, without caring how anybody feels about it.

Serena y Monica
Aug 31st, 2002, 05:33 PM
Bella

I'm kinda beginning to understand why you like Jennifer...I'm guessing you are identifying.

I'm not sure but perhaps you've heard of civil rights...well it was that movement which lead to title IX. Both pieces of legislation made it against the law to discriminate against women (are you following so far). Title IX gave women (nay make that demanded that women have equal access to sports as men) the right to be able to compete in colleges...therebye opening minds and creating sporting programs for young girls. This led to a change in public perception of women in sports. Without these changes women athlete's could not enjoy public support. Public support and parents buying sporting goods for their daughters translates to endorsements (following still, I mean I'm really trying to make this simple enough for even Jennifer to grasp). Corporations and sponsors being made to realize that equality was the issue not whether women were as strong fast or played more or less than men has lead to women getting equal (in some arenas and closer in others) pay. This is what has allowed women to make the kind of money in sports that they are...Now let's see, I think title IX has been law for 30 years and yet we know that women are still fighting to be seen as equal and more importantly treated as such by sponsors tournaments and even in the corporate world.

Of course I'm no rocket scientist but surely even you and Jennifer can see how this might be an important issue to all women.

Oh and yes, the gossip is that it came from Meaghan;)