PDA

View Full Version : New York crowd hates Hewitt?

Sam L
Aug 30th, 2002, 12:04 PM
Well quite understandably too.

In his 1st round match, virtually NO ONE turned up. His 2nd round match seemed pretty empty too and there was someone who was giving him trouble? He, as usual, provokes them by lapping it up when he wins a point with the "Come on"s and pointing his finger.

Anyway, I think there's going to quite an incident when he finally loses here. It's probably going to be worse than the "gardeners' nightmare" incident at Roland Garros earlier this year. I can't wait!

:wavey:

PS: I realise this is ATP stuff, but I don't have access to atpworld :eek:

Viva
Aug 30th, 2002, 12:09 PM
Yeah who cares. There are plenty of anti-Hewitt threads, why don't you go bash him there.

Jay
Aug 30th, 2002, 12:09 PM
yeah also the ATP orgainised one of those goodwill thingys for Leyton to hit some balls with some disabled kids.

Discounting the press, only 20 or so people bothered to watch :confused:

Sam L
Aug 30th, 2002, 12:15 PM
I'm not bashing him, I'm asking a question unless if you can't see the ?

Jay, thanks for that further example. And just goes to prove how unpopular he is over there.

There's got to be a reason for his unpopularity, and I wonder why... :rolleyes:

Mattographer
Aug 30th, 2002, 12:17 PM
I don't like him because his attitude...

irma
Aug 30th, 2002, 12:37 PM
during his second match andre and james both were playing so it was logical were the priorities were , only eurosport wasn't that smart :rolleyes:

Raisin
Aug 30th, 2002, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by irma
during his second match andre and james both were playing so it was logical were the priorities were , only eurosport wasn't that smart :rolleyes:

So true Irma

Aloysius
Aug 30th, 2002, 02:42 PM
Lleyton has a great attitude towards his sport and hard work. A lot of Australian kids, and kids around the world for that matter, could learn from his work ethic instead of giving up whenever the going gets tough. The whole incident last year was very one-eyed by the New York crowd, IMO. Unfortunately, some people see things only in black & white. And of course they would support one of their own. :rolleyes: That's what Lleyton alleged and he's right!

angele87
Aug 30th, 2002, 02:49 PM
What's the question? You don't wanna know if the New York crowd hates Hewitt because in your first post you obviously answered that question... so what exactly is this thread about?

ikke
Aug 30th, 2002, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by angele87
What's the question? You don't wanna know if the New York crowd hates Hewitt because in your first post you obviously answered that question... so what exactly is this thread about?

Good question Angela!!!

mishar
Aug 30th, 2002, 03:05 PM
I don't think the NY crowd hates him. Obviously they cheer for Blake and Roddick and Sampras because they're Americans. Hewitt hasn't inspired them, and of course he pissed people off with his comments last year about the linesman. But there were so many matches being played yesterday, and many people didn't show up because of the rain, so attendance at any one match was sparser.

tennisvideos
Aug 30th, 2002, 03:15 PM
There are just too many posters on these threads trying to stir up trouble and hatred.

Lleyton is not a bad kid. On the court he can come across as a tough customer at times, but off the court he has never done anything wrong - I think he comes across as a pretty decent guy. I think the big problem is the press. I don't think he is keen on them, esp after he has been given a rough time by them over the years (even by the Aussie journos). I don't blame him for being media shy. After all, he's a tennis player first and foremost. I think he might even be a little shy. Cut him some slack. How would some of you guys handle the spotlight and the press on your case all the time? Some people would like him hung for swearing or hitting some damn flowers on the side of the court...

In fact, we should cut all the players some slack. There is far too much negativity and hatred on these boards. How about some sunshine and happiness. After all, what you sow, so shall you reap.

Mercury Rising
Aug 30th, 2002, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by tennisvideos
There are just too many posters on these threads trying to stir up trouble and hatred.

Lleyton is not a bad kid. On the court he can come across as a tough customer at times, but off the court he has never done anything wrong - I think he comes across as a pretty decent guy. I think the big problem is the press. I don't think he is keen on them, esp after he has been given a rough time by them over the years (even by the Aussie journos). I don't blame him for being media shy. After all, he's a tennis player first and foremost. I think he might even be a little shy. Cut him some slack. How would some of you guys handle the spotlight and the press on your case all the time? Some people would like him hung for swearing or hitting some damn flowers on the side of the court...

In fact, we should cut all the players some slack. There is far too much negativity and hatred on these boards. How about some sunshine and happiness. After all, what you sow, so shall you reap.
Wow, one of the best posts I read in weeks over here. Much appreciated, and I totally agree.

Gandalf
Aug 30th, 2002, 04:22 PM
First, I have to say that I don't like Lleyton's attitude on court, and that I find his game pretty boring. However, I think that one of the reasons he's not popular in America is simply that he's not American, and he's a (fairly) dominant number 1. His attitude is not much different from Roddick, and Andy is idolosed...

Beige
Aug 30th, 2002, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Aloysius
Lleyton has a great attitude towards his sport and hard work. A lot of Australian kids, and kids around the world for that matter, could learn from his work ethic instead of giving up whenever the going gets tough. The whole incident last year was very one-eyed by the New York crowd, IMO. Unfortunately, some people see things only in black & white. And of course they would support one of their own. :rolleyes: That's what Lleyton alleged and he's right!

Aloysius, would you feel differently if James Blake and the linesman were both Asian?

Hewitt's not a racist but he let some narrow-minded, ignorant thinking come out of his mouth for the world to hear...and judge. And it's not just Lleyton. Let's be real here: other white players may have thought the same thing. Some are just smart enough to know you don't say crap like that out loud without suffering the consequences.