PDA

View Full Version : Mary Carillo .. just ripped into Jen.

Dawn Marie
Aug 30th, 2002, 05:10 AM
Her two picks of the tourney today and tonight were.

Steffie and Jaden

and

Jen's ignorance of Title 9. They even replayed her interview. Also MC said that even her 10 and 15 year old know what that means.

AjdeNate!
Aug 30th, 2002, 05:13 AM
Yes, she really wasn't holding back her feelings was she.

BK4ever
Aug 30th, 2002, 05:14 AM
are u watching a current show or a tape? Jen's dumb, we all know it.

AjdeNate!
Aug 30th, 2002, 05:16 AM
That's uncalled for...and it was the CBS Late Night At the Open Highlight Show.

Dawn Marie
Aug 30th, 2002, 05:19 AM
Seles she sure didn't hold back, but she had a point, I mean dayum, Jen cannot be that ignorant. Can she?

treufreund
Aug 30th, 2002, 05:22 AM
YOU GO MARY! So few of the ladies give a shit about women's issues. Sad!

At least she is not supporting right-wing ultranationalist war criminals. Even Mary did not touch that one.

I thought it was a bit of a cheap shot from Mary but she is right and it was pretty funny.

Btw, I just did a SEARCH on CNN.com about Bush and Article 9 and could not find any mention of it at all!!!!! I don't think the story is getting enough press for Jenn to even know about it but the WTA should be briefing its players on this stuff and ought to be looking out for women's rights. you would think the WTA would do this so their players would not fall victim to these questions and also to fight Bush and his cronies.

Why is that when Bush wrecks the environment, seeks to push back gender, racial and sexual minority rights, betrays our allies, sells out to big business and uses terrorism as a pretext to take away our privacy and constitutional rights there is almost NO CRITICISM?

And yet Clinton's sex life was newsworthy for two damn years.!

AjdeNate!
Aug 30th, 2002, 05:23 AM
Maybe she just didn't understand what the interviewer meant.... I guess. I'll give her a little bit of credit since we don't know what she heard/thought/meant/intrepreted the question.

Larrybid
Aug 30th, 2002, 05:25 AM
I almost feel bad for Jenny. We all know she's not very smart or apperently curious about whats going on in the world. But then I recall a Sportcenter piece embarassing major league Baseball players for their lack of knowledge of history. My local papers ripped into Frank Thomas for lacking knowledge of Jackie Robinson.

These sports folks get paid big bucks and one price of it is that the media is going to put a spotlight on some of the dopey stuff you say. But something don't quite feel right about it. Jenny's just too easy a target. Its like people making fun of the kids in the "little yellow bus". It seems a bit unfair.

treufreund
Aug 30th, 2002, 05:25 AM
Mary was right. She did not hold back on Lleyton last year when he was wrong. Now it's time to move on and just leave James and Lleyton the hell alone. Mary used to rip on Martina Hingis but now she is quite nice to her. This is what I like about Mary. She is honest but she also forgives and realizes when the press is being unfair to Martina, Lleyton or the Williams or whoever. Mary is smart and she knows what's going on. :) btw, Mary likes Jenn. She just did not care for that answer.

Once again, I agree with Dawn Marie. :eek: :eek: :o :)

PamShriver
Aug 30th, 2002, 05:27 AM
Kudos to Mary. Title 9 is a huge reason that a lot of these women are able to make such a rich and fulfilling living playing the sport that they love. Capriati is 26 years old for the love of Pete, playing a sport and has never heard of Title 9? That's just sickening. I'm sure that Jen isn't the only guilty party, but as one of the senior American players on the tour, you would think that she would have some sense of history. Contrary to what the selfish, self-serving, vapid athletes realize there was a world before them and there were a lot of woman who had to fight and (who NEVER made the money these women make) scrounge so that players like Jennifer and Venus and Monica can make so much money and have so much fame.

Mary Carillo is a brilliant, smart, and fantastic commentator, who cuts a lot of players a lot of slack (contrary to public opinion) and it would take a LOT to get her so worked up that she would feel the need to bring it up on air. Title 9 IS that important for women athletes and it just shows complete and utter disrespect to all the people that fought so hard to allow Jennifer and all the women of her generation and beyond the opportunity to pursue their dreams as athletes.

MARY CARILLO IS MY HERO-

By the by, I am not doing my 'Pam Shriver man crazy' bit right now. I am sincere.

Larrybid
Aug 30th, 2002, 05:29 AM
Trufreund, maybe you should have searched for "Title 9" not "Article 9", But I hear ya..

BK4ever
Aug 30th, 2002, 05:29 AM
treufreund agreeing with Dawn Marie...this day will go down in history :)

Amanda
Aug 30th, 2002, 05:31 AM
Mary was ruthless...and rightfully so. Jennifer came off like a big DUH! How embarrassing for women's sports.

treufreund
Aug 30th, 2002, 05:32 AM
Oops! But the point is that it's not getting enough coverage. Actually Dawn and I agree on quite a few things but we don't always admit it. LOL!

Dawn Marie
Aug 30th, 2002, 05:33 AM
Truefriend, this makes two in two days. Just what the hell is going on here? LOl

Pam Shriver, nice post.:)

Larrybird, nice post. :)

Bkever mark this day on your calender.. lol

treufreund
Aug 30th, 2002, 05:36 AM
Believe it or not Dawn I agree with quite a bit of what you post concerning all kinds of issues especially your perspectives on minority issues. Often I just try to give a different viewpoint as a GWM and my experiences. But there's no disputing that you make some great points. :)

Still don't like the Williams though, but do like Oracene and approve of various aspects of Venus and Serena's personalities. :)

Amanda
Aug 30th, 2002, 05:38 AM
As a professional in women's sports, Jennifer should feel humiliated. A total disgrace to women's sports. No, I am not stating this because it is against Jennifer. Any female athlete-professional or amature should be really po'd at Jennifer's ignorance. What a slap in the face to female athletes worldwide.

Cassius
Aug 30th, 2002, 05:42 AM
When/Where did Cap give this interview that you're all talking about?

AjdeNate!
Aug 30th, 2002, 05:45 AM
It was her post match interview today.

Cassius
Aug 30th, 2002, 05:49 AM
Is this the question that everyone is talking about:

'Q. President Bush has been holding town meetings or starting to hold town meetings across the country about Title IX. He's considering changing this important legislation that's helped women get involved in sports. If you could say something to President Bush, what would you say?
JENNIFER CAPRIATI: I have no idea what Title IX is, sorry.'

JCFan
Aug 30th, 2002, 05:51 AM
I agree with jp. Somebody needs to fill Jen in on this subject. She doesn't read the paper or watch the news most likely all that much. She is in fact quite busy. She's not gonna learn about it on her own. The WTA should have a hand in making sure their players know these sorts of things. BTW, Venus said in her interview that she'd need to be educated on the subject before answering the question. I really don't think she (or many of the other players) know a whole lot about Title IX. Lindsay, I'm not surprised does. Also, the college athletes like Raymond probably know a considerable amount more than the others.

Amanda
Aug 30th, 2002, 05:54 AM
Yeah right JCFan..This is about Jennifer and her ignorance. A real disgrace to all female athletes.

Dawn Marie
Aug 30th, 2002, 05:54 AM
Yes, but they showed it on TV, on CBS the recap show.

treufreund
Aug 30th, 2002, 05:56 AM
So really why was Jenn ripped into but not Venus? The NY Times appears to have a very strong pro-Williams/anti-Capriati slant I have noticed lately. Venus's answer was worded differently and Jenn just answered like a normal, honest girl with an honest "I don't know" . And I mentioned that earlier that the WTA is letting its player and women in general down in so many ways. :sad:

Cassius
Aug 30th, 2002, 05:58 AM
What's the big deal about her not knowing about this stuff?

gentenaire
Aug 30th, 2002, 05:59 AM
Could someone enlighten an ignorant European? What exactly is Title IX?

iluvtrent
Aug 30th, 2002, 06:03 AM
Venus said she needed to educate herself on the legislation Bush is proposing, not on Title IX itself, which in a nutshell mandates women be given equal access to athletics (ie training, scholarships, etc) at the college level as men :)

treufreund
Aug 30th, 2002, 06:14 AM
okay well then at least she APPEARS to know what it is but honestly Mary Carillo would have expected all of the players to know what it is and what changes may be taking place. Or at least the American players.

iluvtrent
Aug 30th, 2002, 06:18 AM
Not sure why Carillo is on her high horse about this. Seems kinda self-righteous to me :rolleyes:

JCFan
Aug 30th, 2002, 06:18 AM
Well maybe Mary Carillo should have held a mandatory seminar to inform these ladies about Title IX.

Sam L
Aug 30th, 2002, 06:20 AM
What the heck is Title IX anyway? :confused:

go hingis
Aug 30th, 2002, 06:23 AM
I have no idea what this thread is about, feel free to get stuck into me.

kiwifan
Aug 30th, 2002, 07:00 AM
Title IX basically provides that when the US govt. contributes $$$ to a college the college must not discriminate based on gender. In a controvesial decision, this was found to include athletic teams and scholarships. The problem is that in the US at even the most progressive Universities there is a female sport for every male sport (by numbers and $$$) except college football.

When you include college football in the totals, nearly every University is engaged in gender discrimination.

The problem with this is that college football is the golden goose at many universities (it makes the $$$ that pays for not only athletics but academic scholarships, new computers, cutting edge research, etc.)

It is "obvious" that more men play competive sports but it is also "obvious" that more women go to college and it is male/female ratio that determines discrimination.

Colleges want an exemption for football (and should get one in my opinion); Title IX advocates have the law on their side and enforcing that law leads to the increase in women's scholarships up to a point, and then the dismantling of mens sports programs that don't make $$$, like swimming, wrestling, tennis, etc.

Honest enforcement of Title IX will lead ultimately to future universities having a football team, a basketball team (because those are the ones that make $$$) and 25 different women's sports. Leaving all other male athletes out in the cold.

Women deserve equal rights and equal opportunity, but you have to feel sorry for men who want to play any sport other than football and basketball and need a scholarship to attend college.

I tried to present both sides here.

For the record, it is sad that JCap didn't know what it was (there were commercial free summits on ESPN all last year debating the virtues (increased sports participation that led to women's soccer, etc.) and problems (championship wrestling and swimming programs abandoned at major universities) as well as the history of Title IX. It's the single biggest issue in women's sports (and in non-revenue producing men's sports).

It's not international so, non-Americans shouldn't have heard of it, but Americans...

Monica@53
Aug 30th, 2002, 08:23 AM
Well let's give Jen some credit....... I'm sure she at least doesn't refer to Napoleon as "that dead dude" anymore ;)

TeeRexx
Aug 30th, 2002, 08:52 AM
After her next match, the media will ask Cappy who is burried in Grant's Tomb.

I hope that she does not give the same response that she did in her Title IX question.

Hulet
Aug 30th, 2002, 09:25 AM
I never heard of title 9 before today too. May be Jennifer wasn't a benificiary of this article/title. If that is the case, I understand why she doesn't know anything about it.

Kiwifan, is title 9 like affirmative action for women players in college sports? Is that a fair characterization? And why is Bush worried about it all of a sudden? I still don't understand. :confused:

eshell
Aug 30th, 2002, 03:39 PM
I'm a college educated male and knew intimately about Title IX. I knew about it and it had no effect on me! (I didn't play intercollegiate or high school athletics)

With that said, we must cut Cappy some slack. She was raised to be a tennis player. She didn't go to high school (I don't think so anyway) or college and never was told that she would have to champion Title IX. Because of her circumstances, Title IX would have little effect on her UNLESS she eventually has a daughter who plays high school or college sports.

Now we can extrapolate about how the presence of more female athletes has produced more revenue and more women's professional leagues in the States but why would Cappy ponder such things???

Because of some of the laziness of Athletic Directors at many college campuses, Title IX is receiving a bum rap. In order to give equal access to women, many in charge have cut male sports at their schools including swim teams, wrestling, golf, tennis, etc.

Their reasoning??? Their budgets can't absorb adding more women's teams and maintaining the other 'non-revenue' sports.

The issues are much more complex. This is a brief synopsis colored by my views (of course).

AND, Title IX affects high school athletics as well as college athletcis.

roots
Aug 30th, 2002, 03:52 PM
As a professional in women's sports, Jennifer should feel humiliated. A total disgrace to women's sports. No, I am not stating this because it is against Jennifer. Any female athlete-professional or amature should be really po'd at Jennifer's ignorance. What a slap in the face to female athletes worldwide.

Amanda! I think you take yourself way too seriously and trying to come off as being intelligent, I haven't read 1 constructive post today from you. Just 3 posts that were being negetive towards Jennifer. You are blowing this way out of proportion! Like many have pointed out, Jennifer again was put into this spot. I would have been surprised if she had knew what Title IX was. It has nothing to do with her intelligence, class or interest for general knowledge.

the cat
Aug 30th, 2002, 03:53 PM
Treu, how many men's College sports have been eliminated by Title 9?

Title 9 was a great success and very important for the advancement of women's College sports. But it came at the expense of some men's College sports. Those men's sports were eliminated, as were the dreams of those young men who planned on playing those sports! :mad: Where's the uproar over that? :confused:

As for Capriati and most other athletes. They live in their own little world. I'm sure some of them couldn't name the Vice President of the United States! :eek:

I appreciate women's sports. And I like that some women's sports have mass appeal. And Title 9 should stay intact. But should it be tweaked just a little bit to insure that so many men's College sports are eliminated in the future?

eshell
Aug 30th, 2002, 03:57 PM
The Cat, we must keep in mind that no women's sports caused the Athletic Directors to cut men's sports.

NONE

Athletic Directors have chosen which men's sports to cut and blame Title IX.

It's much more complicated than saying Title IX has caused many men's teams to get the axe on college campuses.

griffin
Aug 30th, 2002, 04:20 PM
I think Jen should be ashamed of herself for not knowing about Title IX.

I also think if they'd asked that question of any number of prominent American female athletes, they'd have come up empty, too (or if you asked many women on the tour about the women who founded it, many would blank). And that truly is a shame.

Serena y Monica
Aug 30th, 2002, 05:21 PM
kiwi

You did a great job of explaining title ix.

However, I disagree...I think football is the culprit. Their is no need to have as many players as most teams carry thereby robbing other men's teams from participating, not to mention the fiscal irrisponsibility of many athletic departments.

Cam'ron Giles
Aug 30th, 2002, 05:39 PM
Reporter: "Jen, tell me what you think about Title IX...
Jenn: What the f@ck? Like, are you trying to be funny? You know I only won one title this year...Ask one of the f'ing Williams girls...they have closer to nine titles than anyone else on the tour...Like, you can see how disrespectful your question is, just no class, like I could say things about you but I wont...:rolleyes:

Kiki
Aug 30th, 2002, 08:11 PM
LMAO! :D It's not like it couldn't happen.

Jem
Aug 30th, 2002, 08:37 PM
Title 9 has done so much for women sports in the U.S., but I don't find it shocking that Capriati doesn't know about it. In all honesty, it's only in recent years, even recent weeks, that it has generated so much attention. Davenport certainly seemed to understand it, but let's not forget that she has had the benefit of listening to a college coach talk about it -- Jennifer probably hasn't been in that kind of situation.

Does Title 9 need to be tweaked? Should football be removed from the calculations? It's a hard call, and I'm still in the process of deciding how I feel about the issue. Certainly, some men have suffered from it, and it's far too simple to blame all the problems on athletic directors. Let's face it -- football and men's basketball are about the only sports that generate real revenue in the U.S. You can't really blame the coaches of these sports to want to benefit from this largese (nor the players, too, but that's another topic for discussion). Theoretically, I like Title 9 the way it is, but in the real application, it seems to promote a bit of reverse discrimination against men. I especially have problems with schools that have programs for women -- tennis, swimming, diving, gymnastics, etc. -- but not an equivalent for men. More than that, I have a huge problem with the student fees that are tacked onto tuition costs to pay for these sports.

c2
Aug 30th, 2002, 09:08 PM
BK4ever, "Amanda", Larrybid- pretty darn judgemental of you. You are a great example why almost no one besides sista fans post in GM anymore. If Venus or Serena didn't know what Title 9 was I wouldn't blame them. Is every athlete supposed to know about a decision that was passed oh, about 10 years ago by the Supreme Court? Jenn was around 14 then, so were the sisters. Not very many people I know are totally aware of Supreme Court decisions a decade ago. :rolleyes:

But then that would deprive you of your favority hobby wouldn't it? (Bashing Jenn.) Grow up... junior high is just around the corner.

venusfan
Aug 30th, 2002, 10:33 PM
Does Jenn have an High School diploma? I was reading the papers this morning and saw what Jenn said about title nine and just could not beleive it.. is she that dumb or what? As a professional and a woman you would think she would know something about history.. I doubt she knows what Billi Jean King did back in the 70's or she knows how the Women Tour started.

Bella
Aug 30th, 2002, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by PamShriver
Kudos to Mary. Title 9 is a huge reason that a lot of these women are able to make such a rich and fulfilling living playing the sport that they love. Capriati is 26 years old for the love of Pete, playing a sport and has never heard of Title 9? That's just sickening. I'm sure that Jen isn't the only guilty party, but as one of the senior American players on the tour, you would think that she would have some sense of history. Contrary to what the selfish, self-serving, vapid athletes realize there was a world before them and there were a lot of woman who had to fight and (who NEVER made the money these women make) scrounge so that players like Jennifer and Venus and Monica can make so much money and have so much fame.

Mary Carillo is a brilliant, smart, and fantastic commentator, who cuts a lot of players a lot of slack (contrary to public opinion) and it would take a LOT to get her so worked up that she would feel the need to bring it up on air. Title 9 IS that important for women athletes and it just shows complete and utter disrespect to all the people that fought so hard to allow Jennifer and all the women of her generation and beyond the opportunity to pursue their dreams as athletes.

MARY CARILLO IS MY HERO-

By the by, I am not doing my 'Pam Shriver man crazy' bit right now. I am sincere.

You are sincerely full of bullshit. Title IX has absolutely zero to do with professional tennis and the money they make. The sport developed privately. The relatively few college players who play do not change anything in regards to the financial success of tennis. This is crass opportunism to attack. What's funny is it shows that you are ignorant of Title IX.

MARY CARILLO IS AN OPPORTUNIST, AS WELL.

Scott Storm
Aug 30th, 2002, 10:57 PM
I did not know what title9 was but I had heard of the legislation as I know three women from Ireland who went to the states on soccer scholarships and all three are terrible at the game!

In theory the legislation is right but in practice it has flaws.

Cashman
Aug 31st, 2002, 12:43 AM
Now it's perfectly clear why Billie Jean King and J.Cap. don't get along.

It took some time but I've gained respect for Mary Carillo. I didn't like it when she blasted players I like, but I now know she just calls it as she sees it and pulls no punches.

Great analysis of Title IX by kiwi.

The problem with Title IX is that a lot more women attend college today than in 1972 when Title IX was put into effect. But there are still a lot more men who participate in intercollegiate athletics. So the only way to comply with Title IX is to increase funding for women's teams even though they carry fewer athletes, or shut down the men's team. Men's football and basketball bring in money to universities, so it's the other men's sports like wrestling, lacrosse, and track and field that get the axe because they carry lots of male athletes and bring in little revenue to the school.

I think there should be a fairer way to enforce Title IX so that women get equal opportunity to compete without shutting down men's teams.

Kart
Aug 31st, 2002, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by venusfan
Does Jenn have an High School diploma? I was reading the papers this morning and saw what Jenn said about title nine and just could not beleive it.. is she that dumb or what? As a professional and a woman you would think she would know something about history.. I doubt she knows what Billi Jean King did back in the 70's or she knows how the Women Tour started.

Just because someone didn't go to high school or college doesn't mean they're not intelligent.

And clearly, you can have a high school diploma and still be that dumb :rolleyes:.

Terri77
Aug 31st, 2002, 01:53 AM
That was wrong of Mary. She should have educated Jenn about the history instead of embarassing her on television.

kiwifan
Aug 31st, 2002, 02:27 AM
Sorry, I just got home from work. But to answer the "affirmative action" question, it is, a little.
See most Americans see affrimative action as quotas that have to be satisfied, but thats not the whole truth. Real affirmative action are quotas that have to be satisfied by a business or organization that employs more than a specific number of people and has been found guilty of actual discrimination.
Many organizations have elected to add quotas voluntarily to put them beyond reproach, but I digress...

The difference here is that even the competitive "football" colleges with the "purest hearts and best intentions" would ultimately get slammed by Title IX if someone really wanted to go after them.

One thing that a lot of non-Americans may not know is that while in most of the world the path to professional sports and school are seperate; in the USA they are python-tight. If you don't give a damn about school but want to become a big time pro athlete, you have to go to school anyway.

Colleges make billions off the "free labor" of college athletes and this hypocrisy is ripe to crumble. Title IX could indirectly make this happen because if it isn't changed all non-revenue men's sports are going to have to organize under a new system independent of the colleges that have abandoned them (probably like the old club sports model).
Only an idiot would take the time to organize this system without at least taking a stab at stealing basketball too. Pay the 12 basketball players and let them play ball without having to go to school. TV will follow the star players and organizers can use the TV money to pay for wrestling, tennis, swimming, etc.
Trust me the colleges would really miss that $$$.

The above is quick theory as to why even the most "pro-equality" colleges might support changing Title IX. They have a lot to lose from a law that has the best of intentions.

bello
Aug 31st, 2002, 03:03 AM
WHATEVER!!!!!! Its a bit over the top really, Jenn is there to be a play tennis, its not her fault shye is good at it too, im sure a lot of other players probably didnt know before this incident either, but because theyre not at famous (due to their not as good ability), it is no big deal!

kiwifan
Aug 31st, 2002, 04:13 AM
Originally posted by Scott Storm
I did not know what title9 was but I had heard of the legislation as I know three women from Ireland who went to the states on soccer scholarships and all three are terrible at the game!

In theory the legislation is right but in practice it has flaws. :sad: :sad: :sad:

There is a feminist element that has always hated football (oh heck and men) and they will say it's football's fault.
Not true. Football was already in place and when it's time to cut sports for men, cost/benefit to the university, it's a no-brainer.
The proximate cause of the sports cut (if not/but for) is the enforcement of Title IX.

My undergrad college had no football and was in compliance with about 7 women's sports and 11 men's sports (field hockey and women's lacrosse had huge rosters). My grad school had three times as many women's sports as my college and was found not in compliance, it also had a football team. My second year there, we waived goodbye to wrestling, swimming, gymnastics and a couple other men's sports. No one blamed football because even at this Division I-A school, it's the only sport that "gives back" to the school. It's not just money, it's a rallying point for alumni who didn't even go to football games when they attended the school. Even I smile when I see the William and Mary did something good enough to make ESPN.

Now there is also a "meathead" element that doesn't give a crap about women's sports and thinks they are a big joke. Those people would (pre-Title IX) just say, "Women's soccer? Who cares? Let the pretty ones be cheerleaders and let the ugly ones stay home." Many of these meatheads were athletic directors and that is why women need Title IX.

Does football need 85 scholarships?

Do women need scholarships for mediocre athletes that are just there to fill in the spaces?

My solution is grant an exemption for football provided there are a minumum number of adequately funded women's sports (3 in the fall, 2 in the winter and 3 in the spring).
Adequate funding to me is at least partial scholarships for every starter and half of the back ups on every women's sport.
So Field Hockey, Soccer and something else in the fall - basketball and volleyball in the winter - track, tennis and something else in the spring.
Now women's and mens sports, other than football, must be equal so if there are more than 8 men's sports (and of course there will be probably 15-23) there will be the same or more women's sports.

Kiwifan for congress?:p :p :p

Okay how about Kiwifan as JCap's tutor?:angel: :angel: :angel:

Larrybid
Aug 31st, 2002, 07:52 AM
Kiwi, actually I think your solution is resonable. But frankly Title 9 gets a bum rap for the woes of men's athletic programs. The real problem is more complicated. While Football and Basketbal are , in theory , revenue producing sports, the reality is less than half of basektball programs make money and very few football programs are revenue-positive. But athletic directors and alumni beleive they COULD, so they make large "investments" in those programs...better training facilities, coaches and more scholarships. Well, a few years go by of keeping up with the Jones, and the Michigans and the ND's, and the programs have produced little but a big hole in the ahtletic department budget. When cuts have to be made schools can't cut football or basketball becasue of the alumni, and they can't cut womens sports because of Title 9. So non-revenue men's sports take the cuts.

Given this analysis, I would only exempt football from Title 9 enforcement only IF that sport is self- funding (ie. that it at least breaks even). If football doesn't make money, it would have take cuts along with all the other sports, or more likely, alumni would have to pony up the shortfall.

PamShriver
Aug 31st, 2002, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by Bella

You are sincerely full of bullshit. Title IX has absolutely zero to do with professional tennis and the money they make. The sport developed privately. The relatively few college players who play do not change anything in regards to the financial success of tennis. This is crass opportunism to attack. What's funny is it shows that you are ignorant of Title IX.

MARY CARILLO IS AN OPPORTUNIST, AS WELL.

Really, I am full of bullshit? Lovely sentiment by the way Bela. I am fully educated on the subject of Title 9 and just because it doesn't directly relate to the women's pro tour does not mean that it is not significant to the womans game, nor does it mean that Jennifer has any sort of excuse at 26 years of age of being ignorant of one of the most significant events in the history of women's sports whether or not it has anything directly to do with her or not.

Title 9 has given numerous opportunities to women in sports. You think that hasn't had an impact beyond the realm of the NCAA. From what I understand numerous women take up the sport in the hopes of getting a college scholarship, numerous women take up a lot of sports knowing that there is the potential to gain something out of it. Title 9 is a significant factor in that. Perhaps if we all lived in a vacuum, as it seems that Ms. Capriati has, it would be easy to poo-poo the significance of Title 9, but the reality is that it has helped women's sport significantly, more participation equals more opportunity and a higher profile for women's athletics at ever level. Just because Title 9 did not specifically state that every female tennis player should make $200,000 a year no matter what, does not mean that it has not made a significant impact on women's sports, ergo women's tennis. It is a groundbreaking act in the history of women's sports and it's absurd to excuse a 26 year old millionaire who makes her living by playing a sport for not knowing about it. It's called history and respect and understanding.