PDA

View Full Version : This is what US Open radio said about Monica and ASV...

goseles
Aug 30th, 2002, 03:40 AM
Of course I have to be here at college with no cable :( and so I was listening to the radio broadcast and one of the commentators said he spoke to Gabriela Sabatini a couple days ago. I don't know if Gabriela spoke with Monica and ASV personally but the commentator stated that she said that ASV was kinda on the edge on whether to retire or not, but that Monica wants to stay out there and "they will have to drag her off the court to keep her from playing." Thought this might help with all that crap USA is saying about this being her last US Open!! (Of course this also came from a commentator's mouth but it at least sounds promising for Monica fans...)

Also, can anyone tell me how much of the Seles/Schwartz match they showed? I am so bummed I didn't get to see it from the reports, and thought they might include it in their "match of the day" show tonight. But if they only showed a bit of it then they probably wouldn't bother with it (unless the whole thing is on tape with parts not aired) I wonder if her match would stand a chance of being shown over Agassi's tough tussle :rolleyes: Anyway, if they show it I need to call my mom at home and have her tape it ;) Thanks, and CONGRATS MONICA ON A STUNNING COMEBACK!!!!!

disposablehero
Aug 30th, 2002, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by goseles
I don't know if Gabriela spoke with Monica and ASV personally but the commentator stated that she said that ASV was kinda on the edge on whether to retire or not, but that Monica wants to stay out there and "they will have to drag her off the court to keep her from playing."

Well, give them full credit for trying to drag her off the court for about 2 years now. They've certainly made the effort. But that damn ranking system and those direct entry cutoffs just haven't cooperated.

Monica@53
Aug 30th, 2002, 03:55 AM
They showed it on cable in Australia and I was so happy they showed it.... they started showing it just as Monica was starting to get out of the hole and from that point, she just started playing less safely and started hitting out more... up to that point, she was hitting too short and mainly away from the sidelines and that allowed Schwartz to get to the ball dictate and expose Monica's lack of movement with her own big groundies.

Something I noticed and the commentators noticed was that Monica was having trouble moving to her forehand but I thought it might have been lingering effects from her injury. I was very worried cos I didn't know what implications it would've had for her in that match.... but once she got into the tiebreak and esp the third set, she started hitting out, was more aggressive and hit the sidelines. I'm so proud of her and so happy she won!

bello
Aug 30th, 2002, 04:55 AM
Thats logical, Monica is a couple of years younger and still in the world's top 5 while Arantxa has had nothing this year but embarrasing defeats by lowly ranked players

Miranda
Aug 30th, 2002, 06:58 AM
keep going and playing, Monica and Sanchez!!!!!!!!!!!!!