PDA

View Full Version : That was a hell of a match Seles and Schwartz put on!

CoryAnnAvants#1
Aug 30th, 2002, 02:19 AM
That was by far the best womens match of the tournament so far IMO. They both played at an extremely high level those last two sets. Schwartz was disguising her groundies incredibly well and her serve was giving Monica fits. Monica was also hitting some incredible angles and moving better than she has in recent months. They came up with incredible points when they were moving eachother from side to side repeatedly and hitting great shots on the run. Schwartz was 2 points from the match but Monca's grit ultimately won her the match. After watching Hingis play Zanetti, (I took my own personal bathroom break to puke after witnessing that low quality match) it's clear that Monica should advance to the quarters. Yoon-Jeong is a consistent baseliner, but does not have much to hurt Monica in round 3. Anyway, this was a great showing by Monica and Barbara. Schwartz will be top 25 very soon if she can continue to play like that.

selesadmirer
Aug 30th, 2002, 02:27 AM
go monica

CJ07
Aug 30th, 2002, 02:47 AM
her grunts were a copy of monicas

evadafan
Aug 30th, 2002, 03:12 AM
Best match of the tournament so far???? OF COURSE!!!! This was probably the best match on the women's tour since the Aussie Open final!!!

Richie77
Aug 30th, 2002, 03:15 AM
I caught the tail end of the match, but even that part was high-quality.

Go Monica! If she keeps playing like that, she could be dangerous.
Good effort Barbara...she really gets up to play the top players. I agree, she could easily be a Top 25 player.

Mark43
Aug 30th, 2002, 03:20 AM
Wasn't Babs a top 25 player a few years back?

Kudos to Miss Monica for a gutsy, exciting performance!

tennisvideos
Aug 30th, 2002, 09:32 AM
That was a great match. Very courageous performance by Monica, she was just two points from defeat in the 2nd set and was still hitting out as bravely as she did at her peak.

Go Monica!!!

Beat
Aug 30th, 2002, 10:17 AM
her highest singels rank was no. 40 (sometime at the end of 1999 - a long time ago...)

Mattographer
Aug 30th, 2002, 10:20 AM
I agree!! :D I expect Monica will beat Martina in the fourth round!! :D

Go Monica!! :D

Monica_Rules
Aug 30th, 2002, 11:32 AM
Martina is just putting the ball in court and nothing else she seems to be hitting so many misshits.Monica should take the match easy!

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Aug 30th, 2002, 01:09 PM
Schwartz is awesome.....injuries keep her from moving up.

Well done Monica! :)

anton
Aug 30th, 2002, 01:56 PM
i saw this match on usa and it was really good. too bad dokic seems to have pushed hingis down to #9 and then drop out and so monica will play hingis too soon :(

Irish
Aug 30th, 2002, 05:57 PM
IMO, this was the best match of the year since the Aussie Open final. I am glad I have it on tape now. :) Schwartz's "Oh-I!" was interesting and kept up with Monica's grunts. I was cheering for Monica but was very impressed with Babsi's game. Both made some outstanding shots.

Go Monica!!!! :bounce:

Jem
Aug 30th, 2002, 08:43 PM
It was a fun match to watch; It was even better to see Monica come back and post the win!

Iconoclast
Aug 30th, 2002, 08:59 PM
Fitting way to avenge the Fed Cup debacle. But Schwartz certainly came close in that second set.

If this Austrian Babsi stops losing to Laura Granville, she might make a move towards the Top 50.

Kart
Aug 30th, 2002, 11:08 PM
Nice to see Monica made it.

A match against Martina will not be easy though - of course I want Monica to win, but it's all mental between those two. On form I would imagine you'd favour Monica, but still it's certainly a match that worries me.