PDA

View Full Version : Elke

~|Naomi|~
Aug 30th, 2002, 01:54 AM
This was posted about Elke in the junior forum:

She lost 6-4 in the third in the QF

Elke Clijsters - Maria Kirilenko

Elke doesn’t look much like Kim, she is longer and leaner and has long straight hair. Very nice figure, if I may say so. Wore a powder blue halter top or t-back or whatever and white skirt and a blue cap. Doesn’t play like Kim either. Not much power except the occasional big forehand return. Likes to go to net. Doesn’t seem to have Kim’s personality either -- she’s a racket-tosser and screamer and seems more excitable. She let out this WHOOP when she won the middle set.

Kirilenko is a skinny little Russian thing, 15yo, who has probably been hitting balls 10 hours a day since she was six months old. Has had great jr results already and was 2nd seed. I don’t think she’s seen games like Elke’s much, and seemed at a loss because she was not getting much pace and was having to deal with a good volleyer. Made a lot of errors, but you can see she has good strokes.

Kirilenko won 6-4 in the third, on a spectacular running passing shot. Clijsters had her chances and couldn’t convert in the match, and she was mad -- she did a violent cross-court forehand racket toss after shaking hands.
==============================================

I thought you made be interested,

KaseyL
Sep 4th, 2002, 01:51 PM
Elke lost her 1st round girls' match against Sunitha Rao 6-2, 6-2 at the US Open juniors yesterday.

She wil play girls' doubles with Kirsten Flipkens, another promising Belgian player in juniors.

KaseyL
Sep 4th, 2002, 01:57 PM
This is still about Elke, but dates from Montréal. It's an entertaining interview!

Interview with Elke Clijsters, Montreal, August 26, 2002

Q:What made you decide to come to Montreal this year?
Elke: These are my last two junior tournaments probably. I wanted to play the US Open, a Grand Slam, and I came here to prepare.

Q: Have you been to Montreal before?
Elke: Never.

Q: How do you like it?
Elke: It's nice. I like the weather.

Q: Being from Belgium, do you speak French?
Elke: No, just a little. I'm Flemish, I speak a little French.

Q: Do you speak any other languages?
Elke: English, Flemish and French. German I understand but I don't speak it.

Q: It's an interesting question. We find that a lot of players from Europe speak several different languages.
Elke: You only speak English?

Q: I'm not a language person. I have enough trouble with English. Are you playing mostly professional now?
Elke: I will. After this one I am going to Tokyo and Germany. These are two women's tournaments. I've got a wild card for both tournaments. Maybe next year I'll play grand slams only in juniors but I don't know yet. I'll see what my coach says.

Q: Are you going to miss juniors?
Elke: Oh yes, I love the juniors. It's always fun with the boys and girls together. I love that.

Q: You seem to have a very outgoing personality, and you seem to get along with all the other players.
Elke: (giggle). I don't know why. I just talk to everybody.

Q: How long have you been playing juniors?
Elke: started about 3 years ago. I played a few tournaments. I had a wild card. Before Australia I was around 400 in the rankings. I had to play qualies there and I made it to the quarterfinals. It helped my ranking which is about 30 something now.

Q: Are you a natural at tennis or do you have to work at it?
Elke: Every one says I have natural talent but I'm not talented at all. I have to work hard at it.

Q: Where do you see yourself ten years from now?
Elke: With a family, with a little baby.....

Q: OK 5 years from now?
Elke: Everybody seems to ask me that question. I really don't know, I wish I knew but.....I just don't know. I can see for next year. If I am injured or don't like tennis anymore I will stop, go to school, go out with my friends.

Q: You don't feel that you have to play?
Elke: No. I am playing for myself. I want to be good, and I hope in five years I will be a top player and play grand slams.

Q: Do you play in the shadow of your sister? Is that a problem for you?
Elke: Well, I'm just playing. I started playing when she was playing. But I'm just playing now because I like it. It's more difficult because she is my sister and everybody compares me with her. They say things like 'when are you coming to TV' and 'when are you going to play the big tournaments'.

Q: It must be a lot of pressure for you.
Elke: I had a lot of pressure, in the beginning when Kim was starting to be good. When I was around 15 I felt the pressure and played terrible, but now I have my own life and it doesn't bother me anymore, not at all.

Q: There seems to be a lot of camaraderie among the players. Do you build up friendships that last?
Elke: It's fun playing in the juniors. When you get older you play the 10,000, 15,000 and they are all women, that's why I like the juniors ... it's a mixture. You have fun with the guys.

Q: You didn't go to the US Open last year?
Elke: No.

Q: Well, It's a great way to finish off your junior career. We noticed a lot of players are staying away this year. Do you think it was because of 9/11?
Elke: No. I think lots of players are having problems with their visa's. I think that is why they are not coming, not because they are scared or anything.

Q: Any other tennis players at home apart from you and Kim?
Elke: Just us two in my family. We have a lot of good players from Belgium. Steve Darcis, he's very good and Kirsten Flipkens, she has a good ranking and she is so talented.

Q: How does everybody treat you at home. Are you a celebrity?
Elke: In Belgium, in the city where I live, they all know me because my dad and my sister and they know me a little bit. When I go to the city shopping you can see people looking, but it is nothing big.

Q: Is tennis one of the big sports in Belgium?
Elke: Yes, tennis and soccer also.

Q: Have you developed a lot of close friendships from players in other countries?
Elke: Yes, I have friends from all over. We email a lot. I get along with a lot of players now because we see each other at tournaments but I don't know if we will still have contact a few years from now.

Q: Will you still show an interest for the players your developed friendships with in the juniors?
Elke: Yes, like if I see them on TV and they have a good win. I will probably e-mail them and let them know I watched or tell them congratulations. Yes...I will.

END

Cilla
Sep 4th, 2002, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by KaseyL

Dosen't she sound uncannily similar to another person we know and love......;)

Come-on-kim
Sep 4th, 2002, 09:37 PM

Oups, the journalists forgot to mention that :

With a family, with a little baby and with Axel

KaseyL
Sep 4th, 2002, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Come-on-kim

;)

Peridotpixie
Sep 5th, 2002, 03:57 AM
Erm...who? Is Axel a person?

Come-on-kim
Sep 5th, 2002, 08:41 AM
Axel is me LOL

And I really love Elke, she's fantastic and beautiful

Come-on-kim
Sep 5th, 2002, 08:42 AM
Axel is me LOL

and I really love Elke Clijsters, she's fantastic and beautiful!!!

Brαm
Sep 6th, 2002, 11:36 AM

Hahahahaha!! That's so funny Axel!!
In your dreams :p :p :p :p :p

Lei would scare you away hehe! ;)

Come-on-kim
Sep 7th, 2002, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by bram_born84

Hahahahaha!! That's so funny Axel!!
In your dreams :p :p :p :p :p

Lei would scare you away hehe! ;)

No no, I'll be a very good son-in-law!!! and a very good husband!!! and a very good lover!!!!:drool: ;) :lick:

Brαm
Sep 7th, 2002, 11:32 AM
Sure you will :p ;)

You'll be a great husband & son-in-law...

Not sure about the "lover" part though!!! :o :p ;)

Cilla
Sep 7th, 2002, 12:36 PM

LMAO! ;) :p

Come-on-kim
Sep 7th, 2002, 01:16 PM

I'm sure of it!!!!

I'm inventive!!! I'll be Elke's Rocco Siffredi :bounce: :bounce: :drool: :drool: :lick: :lick:

KaseyL
Sep 9th, 2002, 10:08 PM
Request of Lleykimmy1:

pic of Elke winning the doubles (juniors) at the US Open on Sunday:

Lleykimmy1
Sep 11th, 2002, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the picture of Elke at the US Open !!!!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Bigkimfan
Sep 12th, 2002, 03:07 PM
thanks!!!

:bounce: :bounce: Good luck Kim!!!:bounce: :bounce:

KaseyL
Sep 13th, 2002, 11:02 AM
You're welcome!

More new pics of Elke (from Canada):

KaseyL
Sep 13th, 2002, 11:02 AM
second one from Montréal:

KaseyL
Sep 13th, 2002, 11:03 AM
a last one:

Cilla
Sep 13th, 2002, 11:35 AM
Thnx 4 the new pics of Elke Ingrid! :D But one question. Why does Elke have brown tape over her sponsors logo on her cap :confused:

KaseyL
Sep 13th, 2002, 11:41 AM
No clue, Cilla!

Maybe some tournament rule... maybe that the tournament sponsor didn't want any other advertising? Just a wild guess.

Nina_rus
Sep 13th, 2002, 02:46 PM
it's probably because the logo was too big

Mazza
Sep 13th, 2002, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the interviews and piccies of Elke! :D

KaseyL
Sep 23rd, 2002, 08:19 PM
Elke plays Anca Barna in the first round in Leipzig tomorrow (2nd match, first starts at 2 PM).
Good luck Elke!

ßcoene
Sep 24th, 2002, 12:13 PM
Good luck Elke against Barna.

It would be great if she wins, I really hope she will, go Elke :bounce:

KaseyL
Sep 24th, 2002, 03:02 PM
Elke lost 4-6, 2-6.
:sad:

Cilla
Sep 24th, 2002, 04:18 PM
:sad: Elke :sad:

KaseyL
Sep 24th, 2002, 09:11 PM
Pic of Elke during her first round match today:

KaseyL
Sep 24th, 2002, 09:12 PM
Pic of Elke off-court today:

KaseyL
Sep 25th, 2002, 09:09 AM
Here is a little bit of news re Elke at Leipzig.

This is what she said yesterday after losing to Anca Barna in 75 minutes:

Source: German journalist Mr Enigk (Leipzig newspaper) re Leipzig tournament, Sep 25, 2002:

(translated and summarized by Ingrid)

Kim cheered and applauded for every point Elke made during the match. Dad Leo Clijsters was also there to give the thumbs up. Elke said in delight: ‘It’s nice that the family is supporting me! Of course, Kim is my example. She has more experience and is more athletic. Although she doesn’t criticise my tennis game, only my behaviour though.’ A doubles pairing isn’t planned yet. ‘Maybe later, sometime..., adds Elke.’

King Aaron
Sep 25th, 2002, 10:55 AM
Thanks Kasey!

KaseyL
Sep 26th, 2002, 10:30 AM
More Elke pics from Leipzig.

These two are taken at the players' party.

KaseyL
Sep 26th, 2002, 10:31 AM
and the close-up:

Cilla
Sep 26th, 2002, 11:00 AM
Elke looks so pretty there :D

Brαm
Oct 1st, 2002, 08:03 PM
omg! elke looks so beautiful in that last pic :eek: :D ;)

tarah
Oct 4th, 2002, 06:22 PM
I met Elke at Leipzig and she is so nice!!!!!

billybizar
Oct 4th, 2002, 08:04 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not sure about the "lover" part though!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sure of it!!!!

I'm inventive!!! I'll be Elke's Rocco Siffredi

Umm, Rocco can be at times too inventive imo. Make sure Elke is still physically able to play tennis after your "lover" efforts, Come-on-Kim.
:o ;)

Come-on-kim
Oct 5th, 2002, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by billybizar
quote:
Not sure about the "lover" part though!!!

I'm sure of it!!!!

I'm inventive!!! I'll be Elke's Rocco Siffredi

Umm, Rocco can be at times too inventive imo. Make sure Elke is still physically able to play tennis after your "lover" efforts, Come-on-Kim.
:o ;)

No problem, she's full of energy ;)

eclijsters
Oct 12th, 2002, 08:54 PM
When and where is Elke´s next tournament?

Frau Antje
Oct 12th, 2002, 09:06 PM
she told me she is playing Luxemburg and then going to Australia

~|Naomi|~
Oct 12th, 2002, 11:48 PM
She is probably going to australia because there are a lot of challengers here before christmas. It would be a great opportunity for her.

~|Naomi|~
Oct 20th, 2002, 05:54 AM
New photo of Elke from Luxembourg qualifying

Kim_for_number_1
Oct 20th, 2002, 09:54 AM
:sad: too bad she lost :sad:
when will she have her breakthrough? kim had already won a tourney at her age :sad: c'mon elke, you can do it!!!!! next year's your year :cool: :bounce:

Lleykimmy1
Oct 20th, 2002, 09:57 AM
Who did she lost against ?? Was it already the second round of the qualifications or unfortunately only the first one ??

GO ELKE, I'M SURE NEXT YEAR YOU WILL BECOME A GREAT PLAYER ON THE WTA TOUR !!!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

~|Naomi|~
Oct 20th, 2002, 10:17 AM
Elke lost to Lubmora Bacheva in the first round qualies 4-6 3-6:(

~|Naomi|~
Oct 26th, 2002, 02:07 AM
Elke is comitted to playing the 10K event in Stockholm, she is the last automatic entrant into the field.

Good Luck in Stockholm Elke:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Frau Antje
Oct 29th, 2002, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by kim&lleytonrule
Elke lost to Lubmora Bacheva in the first round qualies 4-6 3-6:(

I've seen the match. It wasn't that bad. For me she played really good (and I have seen her playing some matches before)

Lleykimmy1
Oct 29th, 2002, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Frau Antje

I've seen the match. It wasn't that bad. For me she played really good (and I have seen her playing some matches before)

Do you think that she'll be able to play as well as Kim do? It would be great to have the Clijster's sisters instead of the Williams's sisters on the top of women's tennis.

~|Naomi|~
Oct 30th, 2002, 02:28 AM
Elke won her first match in stockholm 7-6 6-4 against a swedish qualifier and is also playing doubles with a polish girl they are the third seeds:)

Cilla
Oct 30th, 2002, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by kim&lleytonrule
Elke won her first match in stockholm 7-6 6-4 against a swedish qualifier and is also playing doubles with a polish girl they are the third seeds:)

:bounce: :bounce: Go Elke! :bounce: :bounce:

Brαm
Oct 30th, 2002, 09:27 AM
What tournaments is Elke playing after this one? Is she going to Oz (like kim&lleytonrule said) or is she staying in Europe? :confused:

Let's hope she'll do well in Stockholm, she needs a few wins... Yesterday's win was just her 3rd pro win this year I think...

Elleke
Oct 30th, 2002, 05:12 PM
she won she's now in the quarters :) she won against nicole remis(6) 6-4 7-6 (3)

Elleke
Oct 30th, 2002, 06:12 PM
elke also won in doubles 6-0 6-0 :o

Lleyki
Oct 30th, 2002, 07:26 PM
OMG Elke is on a roll :bounce:

:o @ 6-0 6-0

thats the spirit Elke :D

Frau Antje
Oct 30th, 2002, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Lleykimmy1

Do you think that she'll be able to play as well as Kim do? It would be great to have the Clijster's sisters instead of the Williams's sisters on the top of women's tennis.

I don't think she will be as strong as Kim is. But I hope her to become a great doubles player at least

Cilla
Oct 31st, 2002, 02:31 PM
Double Bagel :p

Go Elke! :bounce:

Elleke
Oct 31st, 2002, 03:29 PM
and.. she won today against (4) balaci , 6-3 4-6 6-3 :) and in doubles with marta again 6-0 6-0 :o

Lleyki
Oct 31st, 2002, 04:09 PM
Go Elke :bounce:

Cilla
Nov 1st, 2002, 01:00 PM
Double Double Bagel! :eek: :eek:

:p

Keep it up Elke! :D :bounce: :D

Elleke
Nov 1st, 2002, 03:48 PM
she lost 3-6 7-5 0-6 against the first seeded marta .. but anywayz good luck to marta and elke in doubles :):bounce:

caseyl45
Nov 1st, 2002, 05:56 PM
Too bad she lost in the singles. Does anybody know what Elke's ranking will be next week? Will she move up or did she have a lot to defend at this tournament?

Lleyki
Nov 1st, 2002, 06:00 PM
Elke/Marta won 6-3 7-5 :bounce:

Elke
Nov 1st, 2002, 06:38 PM
OMG! They lost a couple of games!;)

Verve
Nov 1st, 2002, 06:57 PM
casseyl45,

Elke will move up about 120 places, from #779 to about #660:):):)

Hopefully the next weeks will bring some other good results, coz Elke really needs to crack that top-500. She can do it!!!:)

Good luck girl!!!:D;)

Verve
Nov 1st, 2002, 07:02 PM
Correction: Elke will move up to #670, not #660, coz she had half a point to defend;)

Now her point total is 13.25:)

Lleyki
Nov 1st, 2002, 07:17 PM
Way to go Elke :bounce:

Does anyone know what her next tourney will be?

Lleyki
Nov 2nd, 2002, 04:55 PM
Elke and Marta won the doubles final 6-1 6-1 :bounce:

Congrats girls :D

Brαm
Nov 2nd, 2002, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Lleyki
Way to go Elke :bounce:

Does anyone know what her next tourney will be?

I read on the VTV website that Elke is leaving for Australia at the end of next week, where she will play some $25k challengers :D

~|Naomi|~
Nov 2nd, 2002, 10:05 PM
I don't know if Elke is playing at these but the challenger events in Australia are:

South Australian circuit:
Port Pirie Nov 10-17
Nuriootpa Nov 17-24
Mount Gambier N0v 24- dec 1

All 25K events

Then Victoria Circuit
bendigo Feb 23- Mar2

Warrnambool Mar2-9
Benalla Mar9-16
Yarrawonga Mar16-23
Masters Mar25-30
All 10K

------
So elke will probably play the South Australian circuit and then return to Belgium for christmas and maybe come back in March.

Lleykimmy1
Nov 2nd, 2002, 10:31 PM
Do you know if she goes there alone, other if her mother or her father goes with her in Australia ?

GO ELKE, I HOPE YOU'LL PLAY WELL AND HAVE SOME GOOD RESULTS ! :wavey: :bounce: :wavey: :bounce: :wavey: :bounce:

~|Naomi|~
Nov 3rd, 2002, 04:22 AM
I don't know but I guess her coach will go:)

Lleyki
Nov 3rd, 2002, 08:43 AM
Thx :)

Good luck Elke :bounce:

caseyl45
Nov 4th, 2002, 03:35 AM
She'll be ranked in the 600s? Good -- it's always nice to see the younger players moving up. Hopefully Elke can keep it up. I've never seen her play, but I've heard good things about her, so hopefully she keeps heading in this direction. Where she's at in the rankings, it looks like it should be easy to move up if she keeps putting up good results in her tournaments. Does anyone know anything about her doubles ranking? That looks like it should be improving by quite a bit, too.

~|Naomi|~
Nov 6th, 2002, 12:15 AM
Elke is on the commitment list for the Port Pirie challenger she will have to play qualifying to get in the main draw. It is a 25K event held in South Australia. Don't know if anyone is interested but Jslyn is also playing wonder if they will play doubles together;)

Good luck Elke:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Belgium = Best
Nov 9th, 2002, 11:52 AM
Good luck in Australia, Elke!!!

Go Elke!!! :kiss: :bounce:

:wavey:

KaseyL
Nov 20th, 2002, 04:24 PM
Update re Elke's results:

she is playing in the Uncle Tobys Tour in Australia:

- She lost in the first round qualifying in Port Pirie ($ 25000) 4-6, 2-6 to Australian Lukaszewics.

- She was also beaten in the first round qualifying doubles with Australian partner Baker there.

- This week goes better: she now plays in Nuriootpa and is in the finals of the qualifiers, plays Russian Kirilenko for a place in the main draw.

- She also teamed up with Jaslyn Hewitt in doubles, but lost their first round qualifying there.

link singles qualifying draw Nuriootpa: http://www.tennisaustralia.com.au/tennisau/tennisau.nsf/891434f5e5a48cefca256b800018d1e4/d97ec31c9a1b820eca256c5c0003b6fc/$FILE/Nurioopta%202002%20sq.PDF

On another note, Elke has been nominated Promising Youngster in the annual sports laurels in Belgium today.

shannonannafan
Jan 19th, 2003, 05:29 PM
:sad: I looked at the singles draw and she wasn't there. Is she just playing doubles, or is she not playing at all. :sad:

Bigkimfan
Jan 19th, 2003, 05:43 PM
She is not playing at all!:(

shannonannafan
Jan 19th, 2003, 05:51 PM
That's not cool.:sad: Why!!!

Come-on-kim
Jan 19th, 2003, 06:16 PM
She's playing an ITF challenger in Great Britain!!

~|Naomi|~
Jan 20th, 2003, 12:16 AM
Yeah she is playing a 10K event in Hull Great Britain, it is on a hard indoor court

shannonannafan
Jan 20th, 2003, 03:14 AM
Do you think it's a good move to play the challenger instead of the junior Aus Open? Is it going to help her in the long run? I think her coach, family, and herself are trying to help her get into the best position, but it just seems weird that she is skipping what seems like one of the biggest junior tournements.:confused:

~|Naomi|~
Jan 20th, 2003, 03:17 AM
Elke is no longer playing junior events she is now going to play challenger events to try and lift her WTA ranking, she has turned professional now. So it is a good move for Elke to not play the junor Aussie Open, because the challenger event will be more beneficial to her:)

shannonannafan
Jan 20th, 2003, 04:02 AM
Oh, I feel stupid again. I dodn't know that Elke had stopped playing juniors. Oh well, good luck Elke. I can't wait until I see you and your big sis playing each other:D

Elizajoey
Jan 20th, 2003, 12:14 PM
I'm a bit confused....

I know she isn't playing Junior Oz Open but I'm pretty sure, she's still here in Australia....

I know she was in Australia still on the 12th because she was heading down to Melbourne...

And I'm pretty sure that she was in the crowd when Clijsters played Coetzer tonight

Sara

Come-on-kim
Jan 20th, 2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Elizajoey
I'm a bit confused....

I know she isn't playing Junior Oz Open but I'm pretty sure, she's still here in Australia....

I know she was in Australia still on the 12th because she was heading down to Melbourne...

And I'm pretty sure that she was in the crowd when Clijsters played Coetzer tonight

Sara

No, perhaps you saw Jaslyn, Lleyton's sister! Or perhaps was it Kirsten Flipkens!!

But, I'm pretty sure Elke is in europe, she has to play quallies of that 10 K event! She's seeded 4!

Lleyki
Jan 20th, 2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Elizajoey
I'm a bit confused....

Sara

Maybe it was Els, their mum?
They look so much like each other :eek: The only difference is that Elke looks younger lol

KaseyL
Jan 20th, 2003, 06:59 PM
But, I'm pretty sure Elke is in europe, she has to play quallies of that 10 K event! She's seeded 4!

Indeed, I really don't think Elke is in Australia. Kim said during an interview for Belgian media, when asked about Elke, that she hadn't seen Elke since a number of weeks as Kim was in Australia while Elke was back in Europe for some tournies.

Elke should be playing the tournament in Hull, UK, this week (according to the Flemish Tennis association).

Primula
Jan 20th, 2003, 07:06 PM
Mybe you saw Kirsten Flipkens?? This is a pic :

http://www.angelfire.com/clone/rfoto/rkopihtm/f1617r2.htm

Primula
Jan 20th, 2003, 07:10 PM
Or maybe you saw Jaslyn, Kim's future sister-in-law ?

[Mod message:

sorry, had to delete this, following Poe's request not to post ***************** stuff.

There are a number of pics of Jaslyn in this Lounge, in case someone wants to see how she looks like (or just visit *****************)

Ingrid ]

Fieke
Jan 20th, 2003, 08:18 PM
Elke is indeed playing a challenger in Hull and as I am studying there for a year, I took the opportunity to go to the quallies today.

A report and pictures can be found in The Belgian Babes Band:
http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?postid=1318469#post1318469

shannonannafan
Jan 20th, 2003, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the super cool report, keep them coming.:D

~|Naomi|~
Jan 22nd, 2003, 07:10 AM
Elke has to play the 4 seed Frederica Piedade POR in the first round of the main draw after qualifying. In doubles she is playing with Majstorovic against Balaci/Piedade

Good Luck Elke
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

~|Naomi|~
Jan 23rd, 2003, 09:34 AM
Elke won her match 6-1 6-3:bounce: :bounce:
She should be about 600 in the rankings now if she iwns her next match she should crack the top 600, small step but a very good one:)

Elizajoey
Jan 23rd, 2003, 10:27 AM
LOL @ my stupidity!!!

It was Els that I saw the other night on the TV...

Silly silly me!!!

It was from a distance!! I was out for dinner and the TV was as far away from me as humanly possible!!! Thats my excuse :D

I cant believe how much Elke and her mother look alike!!!!

And silly silly me again... Elke was never in Australia... That person who my friend saw at the airport with Kim was Els not Elke LOL!

Sara

~|Naomi|~
Feb 8th, 2003, 03:30 AM
Photo of ELke from Antwerp

Lleyki
Feb 8th, 2003, 01:19 PM
Elke plays Patty AGAIN :eek: :fiery:
C'mon Elke! Surprise us :bounce:

Lleykimmy1
Feb 8th, 2003, 04:45 PM
GO ELKE I KNOW THAT YOU CAN DO A GREAT RESULT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ¨

:wavey: :bounce: :worship: :wavey: :bounce: :worship: :wavey: :bounce: :worship:

Cilla
Feb 9th, 2003, 10:13 AM
C'mon Elke! :bounce: :bounce:

KaseyL
Feb 11th, 2003, 01:17 PM
Elke lost 6-2, 6-3 in her first round match in Antwerp today. Looks like Schnyder will be on schedule for a QF against Kim!

kit
Feb 11th, 2003, 02:14 PM
Poor Elke!!
I hope,Kim win her match!!Good Luck!!
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

KaseyL
Feb 11th, 2003, 06:37 PM
A little thing about Elke:

:eek: Elke has told the media today that she has received an appartment from Kim as gift. :cool: :cool: :cool:

She also said that they used to be like cat and dog in the past but now they do have a good understanding. She said that Kim is a "sweetheart of a sister". When Kim is at home, they go to the movies and go shopping together.

KaseyL
Feb 11th, 2003, 06:39 PM
Sorry, I don't have time to translate and put more up now as I want to follow part of Dokic's match right now, so here's the text of Elke's interview in Dutch:

Elke: "Toegegeven, ik heb vandaag een aantal wenkende kansen laten liggen. Mijn niveau was niet dat van de voorbije weken, maar het was toch weer een leuke ervaring. Ik speelde in Engeland twee 10.000 dollartornooien waar ik de halve finales haalde. Dat is hoopgevend. Ik weet dat ik het kan in het tennis. Hoever ik zal geraken, zal de toekomst uitwijzen."

"Het is niet altijd even makkelijk om Clijsters te heten. Iedereen spiegelt zich aan mijn zus. Anderzijds zijn er ook voordelen aan verbonden. Zo zit ik hier in Antwerpen in de eindtabel. Profspeelster worden is hoe dan ook het doel. Ik train nu met mijn neef Ruben Clijsters, die een tijdlang coach was in Boneput."

Een andere reden tot tevredenheid is het appartement dat Elke onlangs van Kim Cadeau kreeg. "Ze zijn het aan het bouwen in Opitter, maar voorlopig blijf ik nog wel thuis wonen. Ma kookt en doet de was, dat is handig." Intussen rijdt Elke nog steeds met de Seat die Kim twee jaar terug won in het tornooi van Luxemburg. "Kim is een schat van een zus. Vroeger waren we kat en hond, maar nu komen we heel goed overeen. Als ze thuis is, gaan we samen naar de film en winkelen we. En neen: ze betaalt niet alles!"

-------------------------------

Match finished (Go Ai :) ) so here I am...

"My sis gave me an appartment as a gift"

Translated by Ingrid

Elke: "I have to admit, I haven't used all opportunities today. My level wasn't the same like in the past weeks, however it was yet another nice experience though. I played two $ 10000 tournaments in England and could reach the semis there. That's promising. I know that I can make it in tennis. The future will tell how far I will get."

"It is not always easy to have Clijsters for a name. Everyone compares me to my sis. On the other hand there are also advantages that come with it. For example I am in the main draw here in Antwerp. To become a pro player is the target no matter what. I practise now with my cousin Ruben Clijsters, who has been a coach for a certain time at Boneput." [own note: =tennis club in their village]

Another reason to be satisfied is the appartment Elke recently received as a gift from Kim. "They are building a house in Opitter [own note: = the village of Elke and Kim], but for the time being I will continue living at home. Mom does the cooking and the washing, that is practical." :D

Meanwhile Elke is still driving the Seat won by Kim two years ago in the Luxembourg tournament. "Kim is a sweetheart of a sis. We used to be like cat and dog in the past, but now we do get along very well. When she is at home, we go to the movies and go shopping together. And no; she doesn't pay everything!"

END

~|Naomi|~
Feb 11th, 2003, 09:26 PM
"My sis gave me an appartment as a gift"

Do you think that Maybe Kim gave a n apartment to Elke for her 18th?

pcabenojar
Feb 12th, 2003, 04:03 AM
Here's a pic of Elke during her first round match from the WTA website. Looks like she's being sponsored by FILA.

pcabenojar
Feb 13th, 2003, 08:03 AM
Elke & Kirsten won their doubles match. They'll play Dokic & Bedanova in the QF. Good Luck Elke & Kirsten! :)

KaseyL
Feb 13th, 2003, 10:31 AM
Other pics of Elke and Kirsten in doubles yesterday:

KaseyL
Feb 13th, 2003, 10:32 AM
one more

KaseyL
Feb 13th, 2003, 10:34 AM
From the tourney's website:

Clijsters and Flipkens move on in doubles

Feb 12, 2003

Belgian Elke Clijsters and Kirsten Flipkens saw their places in the second round of the doubles secured after having bested Perebiynis and Gubacsi in three sets.

The Hungarian and the Ukranian managed to win the first set, but from then on the Belgian duo dominated the match and they won the next two sets.

Clijsters-Flipkens await top-seeded duo Dokic-Bedanova in the next round.

"To be honest, we hadn't expected this victory " Clijsters admits. " People shouldn't expect to much of us , because we're still young."

"In our next match, we'll take off as the underdog which is good. Every match is a new opportunity, so I'm glad we can spend another day here. I still enjoy playing tennis, and that's what it's all about!"

keta
Feb 13th, 2003, 10:45 AM
How old is Kristen?:o

:bounnce: Good luck for the best round girls!! :):D

KaseyL
Feb 13th, 2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by keta
How old is Kristen?:o

:bounnce: Good luck for the best round girls!! :):D

17 imo

keta
Feb 13th, 2003, 10:55 AM
Thankz Ingrid:) BOth Elke and Kristen and pretty!! :)

shannonannafan
Feb 13th, 2003, 03:00 PM
About the appartment as a gift. I think if Elke really wanted one, Kim eould get one for her. But, I don't see why because Kim was building a house and I think she said that Elke could stay there. I read it in a article. Plus in the article on this page it says that they are building a house together in Opitter. I think the appartment is actually Kim's house.

Lynnsha
Feb 13th, 2003, 03:11 PM
Congrats girls :bounce: Good luck for the next match
:bounce:

another pic of the match
http://www.sport.be/proximusdiamondgames/inbeeld/woensdag/images/foto1.jpg

duck
Feb 13th, 2003, 03:11 PM
I thought the 'they' referred to Kim and Lleyton building the house?

KaseyL
Feb 13th, 2003, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by duck
I thought the 'they' referred to Kim and Lleyton building the house?

Indeed!

Elke did receive an appartment from Kim (it's a new appartment in Opitter according to my info).

Cilla
Feb 13th, 2003, 10:24 PM
Good Luck Elke & Kirsten! :D

thalle
Feb 14th, 2003, 08:58 PM
Elke and Kirsten lost 6-3 6-4...:mad: :sad: :mad: :fiery: :(
It should've been Kim and Elke in the semis... Too bad...
Well, good luck to Kim in the single and doubles:o

Mazza
Feb 14th, 2003, 10:16 PM
:sad: for Elke and Kirsten.

KaseyL
Feb 15th, 2003, 12:08 AM
:sad: for the loss BUT

Elke and Kirsten are promising, and have had a great experience in this tournament, so I'm very happy for that, and they made Dokic-Bedanova work, but weren't just good enough at these points when it mattered.

Nevertheless, I wasn't bored a minute all match long: well done, the better pair won but the youngsters didn't had to leave the court ashamed of theirselves, on the contrary!

and :o at Elke swearing LOL! (even in German! :D )

~|Naomi|~
Feb 15th, 2003, 04:58 AM
According to my calculations Elke's doubles rank should go up to around 282 after Antwerp, because she made 51 points for the QF performance, however ofcourse I am not taking into consideration the performance of any of the players ranked around the 280-90 mark so 282 is not definite rank, but she should crack the top 300. Because she came into Antwerp with a doubles rank of 485 with 24 points, now she will have 75 points:bounce: :bounce:

Flipkens should go up to about the 330 or so mark.:)

Elke's singles rank shouldn't change as she gets 1 point for her 1st round loss, but it will just replace the point she had from last year. So she still should be around 502, but who knows someone might drop and she could crack top 500.

Flipkens should go up to around the 511 mark in singles:)

Fieke
Feb 15th, 2003, 02:19 PM
and :o at Elke swearing LOL! (even in German! :D )

Hehe, she seems to do that quite often :) When she was playing Anna-Lena Grönefeld (a German girl) in Hull two weeks ago, she shouted "Scheiße" at a certain point. I thought she was doing it on purpose because het opponent was German, but she told me she doesn't think about these things, that she just shouts whatever comes up in her head. By the way, in Hull she was told off by the umpire for shouting "Scheiße" :) He was friendly though, and said "You said a bad word, you shouldn't be doing that"
She's so much fun to watch :D

kit
Feb 15th, 2003, 06:50 PM
Hehe,that's very cute!!!:D :D :D :D
Did she really say "Scheiße"???

thalle
Feb 15th, 2003, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by kit
Hehe,that's very cute!!!:D :D :D :D
Did she really say "Scheiße"???

What does "Scheiße" means?

Frau Antje
Feb 15th, 2003, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by thalle
What does "Scheiße" means?
lol, it means "shit"

Frau Antje
Feb 15th, 2003, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Fieke

She's so much fun to watch :D
indeed, I saw her now some times playing and it was always something special and funny

babkonzerv
May 23rd, 2003, 02:21 PM
:wavey:

I found some pics of Elke, and i thought id share it with you guys :)

sanstamtam
May 23rd, 2003, 04:48 PM

thalle
May 23rd, 2003, 05:26 PM
Thanks Reka:kiss:

babkonzerv
May 26th, 2003, 11:04 AM
some more elke pics. though they are a bit similar to the previous ones. anyways we are interested in the, arent we? ;) :p

kit
May 26th, 2003, 08:24 PM
Thanks Reka!!!:kiss:

Ashie_87
Jun 1st, 2003, 09:21 AM
:eek: OMG! in the one with the trophy she looks so much like my friend! :eek: scary stuff...

~|Naomi|~
Jun 1st, 2003, 01:07 PM
Elke finished 2002 as the junior girls doubles number 1 didn't she? So she would be the junior doubles world champion for 2002?? Well last year during Roland Garros they had an awards ceremnoy to celebrate the world champs, including the juniors cause I remember Lleyton went. So are they having one of those this year and also if they are will Elke go? Does anyone know if Elke is in Paris to support Kim?

Aussie_Kim
Jun 2nd, 2003, 02:24 PM
What is Elke up to these days :confused:
I know she's not playing juniors anymore but is she playing challengers & stuff.
I hope she makes it. It would be nice to see her & Kim playing each other ;)

ßcoene
Aug 2nd, 2003, 11:41 PM
Why didn't Elke play the Belgian Championships?

Brαm
Aug 3rd, 2003, 09:03 AM
Because she was playing in Petange (WTA points, $$$) ;)

fan22
Aug 9th, 2003, 02:30 AM
Elke Pics from Toyota Princess Cup
Qualifying Sept 2002
http://www.ne.jp/asahi/tennis/addict/report/report2002/020914/p9140154.jpghttp://www.ne.jp/asahi/tennis/addict/report/report2002/020914/p9140119.jpg

http://www87.sakura.ne.jp/~dhbvg87/Gallery/photo210/020914-031.jpghttp://www87.sakura.ne.jp/~dhbvg87/Gallery/photo210/020914-019.jpg

http://www87.sakura.ne.jp/~dhbvg87/Gallery/photo210/020914-161.jpg

fan22
Aug 12th, 2003, 06:11 PM
I stumbled upon a pic of Elke from Wimby 2002 that I hadn't seen before:
Sunday, July 7, 2002
http://championships.wimbledon.org/images/pics/large/bh118_13.jpg
Elke Clijsters (L), Barbora Strycova (2nd L) and Ally Baker (2nd R),
and Anna-Lena Groenefeld (R) - 2002 Girls' Doubles Finalists
© Professional Sport

same pic:

fan22
Aug 14th, 2003, 06:57 PM
pic of Kim and Elke when they were younger

http://www.wtaworld.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13845

(Don't let FILA see :) )

~|Naomi|~
Aug 14th, 2003, 09:42 PM
Elke is in te QF in Kojkside :)

Lleykimmy1
Aug 15th, 2003, 06:18 AM
Elke is in te QF in Kojkside :)

That's great !

~|Naomi|~
Aug 17th, 2003, 11:12 AM
Elke and Kirsten Flipkens won the odubles title in Kokjside 10K :woohoo:

Elke is also into the singles final earlier in the tournament she beat Caroline Maes who is in the belgian fed cup team in 3sets, Kirsten lost the other semi :sad: But hopefully Elke can take revenge for her adn get her first title :bounce:

kit
Aug 17th, 2003, 08:19 PM
Congrats girls!!! :yeah:
And good luck Elke!!!! :kiss: :bounce:

eclijsters
Sep 4th, 2003, 10:07 AM
Does anybody know if Elke is playing the WTA tournament in Leipzig (22.09. - 28.09.2003)???

Come-on-kim
Sep 4th, 2003, 01:55 PM
Does anybody know if Elke is playing the WTA tournament in Leipzig (22.09. - 28.09.2003)???
no sorry! If she plays she'll get a WC

Aussie_Kim
Sep 7th, 2003, 02:17 AM
What was the result from the Kokjside singles final?

Sharapova's_Boy
Sep 17th, 2003, 11:09 PM
She lost the final in Kokjside :sad: :bigcry:

But the big news is that she has recieved a Main Draw Wildcard for Leipzig! :D :bounce:

Sharapova's_Boy
Sep 24th, 2003, 01:28 AM
Elke lost to Maria Vento-Kabchi in the 1st round of Leipzig :sad: :bigcry:

3-6 1-6 :(

~|Naomi|~
Sep 24th, 2003, 04:22 AM
Bad Luck for Elke :sad:

Does anyone have any pics? Or do you know if she will stay in Leipzig and support Kim?

kim4eva
Sep 24th, 2003, 09:27 AM
Elke :sad:

Fieke
Sep 24th, 2003, 03:31 PM
pic from the Leipzig site

Come-on-kim
Sep 24th, 2003, 03:36 PM
Thanks!!

Who is with her? BF? Coach?

Brαm
Sep 24th, 2003, 03:59 PM
That's Ruben Clijsters, I think.

Fieke
Sep 24th, 2003, 04:06 PM
Nope, that's definitely not Ruben (see my pics of Ruben in the Leipzig thread). I don't know whether it's her boyfriend or not, but it could just as well be a fan talking to her...

Come-on-kim
Sep 24th, 2003, 04:09 PM
Nope, that's definitely not Ruben (see my pics of Ruben in the Leipzig thread). I don't know whether it's her boyfriend or not, but it could just as well be a fan talking to her...
yeah but we need gossip :lol: ;)

~|Naomi|~
Sep 25th, 2003, 12:29 AM
Idon't think he'd be a fan sitting there with her, I say he is her boyfriend :p

Come-on-kim
Sep 25th, 2003, 08:09 AM
Idon't think he'd be a fan sitting there with her, I say he is her boyfriend :p
good :bounce:

kirstenfan
Oct 1st, 2003, 05:31 PM
The guy with her is her coach Dries Van buren (or something like that)

Aussie_Kim
Oct 4th, 2003, 12:27 PM
The guy with her is her coach Dries Van buren (or something like that)

Oww, they looked like a good couple. ( even though they aren't.) :(
But now I am confused. :confused: I thought Rueben was her coach??
Does she have two coaches OR is Dries replacing Rueben OR is one a fitness coach?

Come-on-kim
Oct 15th, 2003, 01:34 PM
Elke recieved a MD WC for Luxembourg and she'll play doubles with..... her sister there :p

Majo
Oct 15th, 2003, 01:51 PM
Elke recieved a MD WC for Luxembourg and she'll play doubles with..... her sister there :p

YAY!! :bounce: great! :bounce:

kim4eva
Oct 15th, 2003, 02:53 PM

Wonderful! :bounce:

Fieke
Oct 15th, 2003, 05:46 PM

OMG :bounce: *really wants to go now*

Gabra
Oct 15th, 2003, 08:49 PM
Australia vs Belgium in Hopman Cup, Elke and Kim in doubles, everything is just perfect :D

~|Naomi|~
Oct 16th, 2003, 01:55 PM
That is great news for Elke
Hope to get some pics of her and kim playing doubles together

kit
Oct 19th, 2003, 04:19 PM
Kim and Elke won't play doubles together!!! :sad:
Elke will play with L.Osterloh.

Gabra
Oct 19th, 2003, 04:31 PM
:sad: :mad:
I was so happy about this :fiery:

Fieke
Oct 19th, 2003, 04:32 PM
Elke and Lilia? That's a combo I didn't expect... I thought she'd play with Kirsten...

kit
Oct 19th, 2003, 04:35 PM
Kirsten will play with Claudine Schaul

Sharapova's_Boy
Oct 29th, 2003, 07:41 AM
Well Elke lost 1st round in Luxembourg...:bigcry: although posting a respectable scoreline against Tamarine.

Does anyone know where Elke will be playing next? Hopefully she decides to come back down to Australia for the South Australian $25K events :D

fan22
Nov 2nd, 2003, 12:35 AM
Just saw this pic...my french is NOT good, so I don;t really understand what the caption is saying...although perhaps it is saying that it is a pic from Feb. 2003??....
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/reuters_ids/20031028/i/1382973990.jpg
La numéro un mondiale Kim Clijsters ne disputera pas la phase finale de la Fed Cup de tennis avec la Belgique mais sa soeur cadette Elke (photo) sera de la partie. /Photo prise le 11 février 2003/REUTERS/Thierry Roge
• (Reuters - mardi 28 octobre 2003, 12h24)

Come-on-kim
Nov 2nd, 2003, 08:16 AM
Just saw this pic...my french is NOT good, so I don;t really understand what the caption is saying...although perhaps it is saying that it is a pic from Feb. 2003??....
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/reuters_ids/20031028/i/1382973990.jpg
La numéro un mondiale Kim Clijsters ne disputera pas la phase finale de la Fed Cup de tennis avec la Belgique mais sa soeur cadette Elke (photo) sera de la partie. /Photo prise le 11 février 2003/REUTERS/Thierry Roge
• (Reuters - mardi 28 octobre 2003, 12h24)
It just says that Kim won't play the Fed Cup final stage but that her sister will take part

Aussie_Kim
Nov 3rd, 2003, 06:05 AM
Oh I didn't know Elke was playing in the Fed Cup final?? WOW that would be a FANTASTIC opportunity! So is she playing doubles and if so who with? Or is she an 'orange girl' (not sure if you use that term but we do in Aus and its the juniors who watch on at the side and train with the team.)

Sharapova's_Boy
Nov 4th, 2003, 10:30 AM
Nah, Elke has been selected in the actual team, so she isn't an Orange girl.

She should be playing doubles though, most likely with Els. As Caroline and Kirsten would most likely get the singles nod ahead of Elke :sad:

But this should be a good learning experience for Elke :)