PDA

View Full Version : Bud Collins: Capriati won't even make the semis

TeeRexx
Aug 30th, 2002, 01:11 AM
from Bud Collins of MSNBC
-------
http://www.msnbc.com/news/801037.asp
-------

FLUSHING, N.Y., Aug. 29 ó Jennifer Capriati won the Australian Open in January, which would constitute a great season for almost every other player on tour. But if you take away that title, Capriatiís season has been anything but great and I donít feel it will significantly improve at the U.S. Open.

CAPRIATI DOESNíT SEEM to be the same player who won Down Under in the beginning of the year. In Australia she was very focused and her overall game was strong and consistent. Now, her confidence isnít where it needs to be, so while she can still breeze past the majority of players on the tour, sheís having problems against other elite players.

SERVING UP THE WRONG APPROACH

Nothing has let Capriati down more than her serve. The 26-year-old American is going for way too much on her first serves and when she misses, the top players get to tee off on her second serve. Thatís the reason sheís been double faulting more than usual lately.
Capriati simply needs to take a little off her first serve and put more spin on it. The top players on the womenís tour generally donít chip and charge to the net while returning serve, so this less aggressive first serve will be enough to get Capriati on the offensive and showcase her powerful groundstrokes.

TROUBLE LOOMS IN LATER ROUNDS

I expect Capriati to have no problem getting through the first four rounds since her game will most likely overwhelm the lesser-talented opponents sheíll face. But things could change in the quarterfinals. There Capriati potentially could meet either seventh-seeded Kim Clijsters of Belgium or No. 10 seed Amelie Mauresmo of France. Given the choice, thereís no doubt that Capriati would rather face Clijsters. She has beaten Clijsters in all three of their career matches, including in the semifinals of this yearís Australian Open.
Mauresmo looms as a tougher test. She has split her six career matches against Capriati and has won in straight sets the last two times theyíve played, the quarterfinals at Wimbledon and more recently the finals at Montreal. While I think itís more likely Capriati will face Mauresmo, either way I donít see her making the semifinals.
Capriatiís confidence seems to be so low at this point that either Clijsters or Mauresmo should be good enough to take her out. And thatís disappointing since much of the tennis world would love to see a matchup between Capriati and second-seeded Venus Williams in the semifinals.

SOME SPARKS OFF THE COURT

After Capriati routed American qualifier Bethanie Mattek in the first round on Tuesday, she was asked at her post-match press conference about the recent comments of Richard Williams, father of Venus and Serena. Papa Williams had said that Capriati should listen to her father, Stefano, more and not curse as much on the court. In response, Capriati basically told Williams to mind his own business.
I donít know all there is to know about this situation but I do agree with Williams on one point: Capriatiís language on the court has been very disappointing. She should put a stop to it right away. I think itís just part of her frustration coming out because of her inconsistent and disappointing play this season but itís time for it to end.
-------

Collins has called everything right on from her technique to her confidence to her lack of manners on the court.
Looks like that slam win at Oz, as a result of Hingis' heat exhaustion, was Cap's parting gift as the last slam title that she will ever possess.

TeeRexx
Aug 30th, 2002, 02:34 AM
I see another WILLIAMS/WILLIAMS GS final on the horizon. :)

Serena y Monica
Aug 30th, 2002, 02:46 AM
Yeah For you Bud. Finally one great tennis analyst who is willing to tell the truth.

toreador
Aug 30th, 2002, 02:51 AM
Don't you think that it's getting boring and boring every time you see the williams sisters in a final? I only enjoyed the Wimbledon final.

Martian KC
Aug 30th, 2002, 02:56 AM
Bud always had a thing for the williams anyways.:rolleyes: Not surprised!

RayDay
Aug 30th, 2002, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by KC
Bud always had a thing for the williams anyways.:rolleyes: Not surprised!

yeah

:mad:

magassi
Aug 30th, 2002, 03:28 AM
Oh give me a break, there's nothing in his "analysis" that we don't already know. Collins has always been somewhat of a turncoat anyway. He loves Jenn when she's winning (clinging to her like a cheap suit), and then when she's not winning, he picks her to lose. Whatever... we'll just have to see. I am curious why some Williams' fans are so obsessed with Jenn since she's always getting beaten anyway...

treufreund
Aug 30th, 2002, 03:44 AM
Bud Collins is full of malarky. He is very biased. And we know in favor of whom. Frankly he strikes me as the type who will ride the Williams bandwagon to be politically correct and to appear progressive with the hopes that he will have something to gain from it. But of all the players he is the most critical towards Kournikova. :fiery:

I do think he makes a lot of great points though about Cappy's serve and her confidence.

Becool
Aug 30th, 2002, 03:57 AM
Dear, then he was always right by guessing that both Williams would make finals :kiss:

Shane54
Aug 30th, 2002, 03:59 AM
Yes magassi, there are some non-Jenn fans who ARE OBSESSED. It seems as though all they do is live and breathe Jennifer all day even if it starting negative threads about her.

For someone who is in a slump and is "not as good as the sisters" she sure can "get their goat" You go girl Love ya Jennifer. Jennifer Cap all the way baaaaaaaabbbbbbbbyyyyyy!!!!

Tratree
Aug 30th, 2002, 04:05 AM
Well, Bud lost me after he went off on a venomous tirade on Jennifer in one of his stupid "I'm standing in the middle of the player's box" spots during a match at the French that left just about everyone speechless, including the commentators. I'm not the least bit surprised by his negative commentary on Capriati.

Serena y Monica
Aug 30th, 2002, 04:26 AM
Magassi

I can't answer for "Williams fans" but I can tell you what I've said all along. My dissapointment with Capriatti has everything to do with her behavior and nothing to do with who beats her or who she beats. I have never in my entire life cheered against an American...until Jennifer.

Serena y Monica
Aug 30th, 2002, 04:29 AM
Tratree it wasn't venomous it was the truth. Her stunt at Fed Cup was disgusting and shameful.

mishar
Aug 30th, 2002, 04:52 AM
Bud has always been a great commentator. Go Bud!

TeeRexx
Aug 30th, 2002, 06:34 AM
Bud is just calling them as he sees them.
And what he sees is apparently true.

harloo
Aug 30th, 2002, 07:23 AM
Bud is pretty much spot on in her analysis of her game even though it's no secret. lol.

As far as him commenting on Richard's statement, I guess it's his opinion but IMO is uncalled for. He should have a right to his opinion though.

Bud Collins is one of the most respected in the game, he was there before Jen and will be there after if he doesn't pass on. He really gave Capriati the highest praise, giving her compliments and everything until things changed for the worse at the FO when the Fed Cup scandal was brought up. Jen wen't ballistic, and banned him, and I don't think he is use to that happening to him since he's so respected. I think he now see's what Jen is about. She really doesn't care what you think or say about her and it doesn't matter who you are BJK(pioneer of the women's game) Bud Collins, she will say and do what she want's, when she want's without batting an eye. IMO, that's just who she is.
:) ;)

TeeRexx
Aug 31st, 2002, 06:17 AM
I wonder will Cappy get by Meghann?

AjdeNate!
Aug 31st, 2002, 06:26 AM
2000-06-26 Wimbledon Grass R64 Jennifer Capriati (USA) 7-6(1) 6-2
2000-11-06 Philadelphia Indoor Carpet R32 Jennifer Capriati (USA) 3-6 7-5 6-4
2001-05-28 Roland Garros Clay R16 Jennifer Capriati (USA) 7-5 6-1
2001-08-13 Toronto Hardcourt QF Jennifer Capriati (USA) 7-5 6-4
2002-07-29 San Diego Hardcourt R16 Jennifer Capriati (USA) 6-4 6-1

Jen's head to head looks pretty good against her.

anton
Aug 31st, 2002, 06:28 AM
I am picking Amelie to make the semis in Jennifer part of the draw too. But I would love to see Venus beat up on Jennifer.

AjdeNate!
Aug 31st, 2002, 06:32 AM
I think JCap will make the semis where she'll lose to the eventual champion, Monica Seles. ;) wink wink wink - don't bash me i'm being funny.

anton
Aug 31st, 2002, 06:36 AM
Seles are you bitter towards Jelena at all since she "lost" in the first round and Hingis got pushed to #9 and now Hingis will play Seles early. Seles could go out to Hingis. Hingis is playing well. I saw part of her match against Sara Zanetti.

TeeRexx
Aug 31st, 2002, 06:39 AM
If Momo and Cappy get through to the qtrs., Bud thinks that will be Cap's last match of the tourney.

Many other analyst think the same of Bud's prediction as well.

AjdeNate!
Aug 31st, 2002, 07:19 AM
I'm never bitter. Only bitter people can be bitter. The seeds were done fairly - rankings are earned. Jelena was 4, Lindsay deserves 4. If you wanna be the best, you gotta beat the best. I'm just glad for every match Monica plays - win or lose. I've had my fun with her being invincible and rarely losing (early 90s), I've had my 27 month exile time her as she was gone, I've had great fun watching her return, I've had great pride in watching her grow as an adult and becoming the truly wonderful person she's become, I've experienced her pain in losing a parent, I've taken pride in her overcoming adversity, I've enjoyed being able to see her play in person,..... all in all, I feel rewarded for every match she plays. It's all just gravy now. There's nothing for her to prove. She can do what she wants, and she chooses to keep playing high quality tennis, and I get to watch her. What more could I ask for?

AjdeNate!
Aug 31st, 2002, 07:21 AM
BTW, Dokic lost in R2.

anton
Aug 31st, 2002, 07:29 AM
ok. did you see the barbara schwartz match? I saw the last set and monica was really hitting some hard shots, but so was bs. the slice had monica on the defense, but ms would still hit a forcer and then the kill-type. Monica-Hingis should be good if it happens. On Monday probably.

AjdeNate!
Aug 31st, 2002, 07:32 AM
After that big ol post, all I get is an 'ok'! Pfft! ;)
Yes MS/MH should be good... Hope Monica can get the head to head to 5-16. God, that sounds just horrid.

anton
Aug 31st, 2002, 07:46 AM
Corina Morariu/Justin Gimelstob def.

Catherine Barclay/Thomas Shimada, 6-4, 6-1

Nannie De Villiers/Ellis Ferreira def.

Irina Selyutina/Sandon Stolle, 6-4, 7-5

Alexandra Stevenson/Jeff Tarango def.

Jessica Lehnhoff/Jeff Morrison, 6-3, 3-6, 7-6 (10-7)

mixed scores.

glad corina won. I think it took Monica a few tries to figure out Hingis' weaknesses. They were so well hidden, but they are now out in the open: weaker than normal serve, can be overpowered, somtimes reluctant to hit as hard as she needs to, may get tired during a match.

TeeRexx
Aug 31st, 2002, 03:43 PM
Bud seems very certain Cap won't possibly meet VENUS in a semi, but I would like to see that matchup once again.

She seems to really bring out some real good play in VENUS, but if that records gets to be 0:5 against the Goddess of Tennis, Cap will be mentally broken for quit a while whenever she plays the older Williams.

Sam L
Sep 1st, 2002, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by TeeRexx
Looks like that slam win at Oz, as a result of Hingis' heat exhaustion, was Cap's parting gift as the last slam title that she will ever possess.

I could not have put it any better :)

Cybelle Darkholme
Sep 1st, 2002, 02:16 AM
Question: why doesn't it get through to Jen supporters that "some" people don't like Jen not because of her tennis or who she beats or loses to but because of her BEHAVIOR.

Is that hard to understand that "some" people dislike her BEHAVIOR and therefore do not like her. Obviously you fans dont mind her behavior or if you do you forgive her. Great but don't expect other people to do it.

I can only speak for myself but before and up to the 2001 aussie open I cheered for Jen. Then she made some anti-venus comments. I gave her the benefit of the doubt. I cheered for her during the French 2001, except when she played serena, and after that she still had crap to say about Serena and venus. Sooo, that was it for me.

Since that time Jen has repeated put her foot in her mouth when it comes to her words and worse with her antics. That's her right, but I don't have to like it and seems like I am not alone in that regard.

Jen is the Tennis "bad girl" I'm not into that some people are. Each to their own.

In the meantime GO AMY FRAZIER GO MOMO GO KIM GO VENUS GO SERENA GO MARTINA GO JUSTINE!!!!!

toonyjung
Sep 1st, 2002, 02:24 AM
cybel !!!!!

i think you sheer jen in aus2001 and french2001

because you won't hingis win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you hate everyone who can challenge the williams

:o :o :o :o :o :o

TSequoia01
Sep 1st, 2002, 02:46 AM
I watched Jen against Shaughnessy tonight. She looked awfully good. But that game will not work against Venus. It is Capriati who will be on defense. The Williams' rivalry began with Jen and Serena. After she had defeated Serena a few times, she had stuff to say. Rather than taking her victories and just walk rubbing salt into Serena's wounds was just too tempting. Now those words are ringing in her ears, plus she got Venus involved dumping on Lil Sis. Well the rest is history. If Venus and Jen do meet in the semis, look for Venus to be really motivated. :cool:

Cybelle Darkholme
Sep 1st, 2002, 02:58 AM
Toony what are you talking about? I rooted for Jen because she was american and playing good tennis. I could have cared less about Martina.

Though now i Hope martina beats monica, sorry monica, but I want a martina venus semi.

TeeRexx
Sep 1st, 2002, 03:03 AM
I think that it would be quite funny for VENUS and cappy to play in the semis and for Ms. Manners to have a cursing tiraid during the match.

Volcana
Sep 1st, 2002, 03:27 AM
Since Mauresmo beat her the last two times (by chipping and charging, somethings might try) so if its Momo vs Jenn, well Mauresmo's nerves in a big spot? Its no shock whoever wins. If it was a semi, I'd take Capriati. If she can play in front of a half empty stadium, Mauresmo should win in straight sets.

TeeRexx
Sep 4th, 2002, 01:26 PM
This match against Mauresmo will make or break Capriati regardless of the win that she had in OZ, which many thoght should have been Mart's 6th and possible last GS title.

Bud thinks Cap has lost heart and can not win.
I think there is a slight chance of her getting to the semis.

griffin
Sep 4th, 2002, 01:44 PM
If Mr. Collins jinxes Momo, or inspires JCap to prove him wrong (imho, Mr. Sampras should give Mr. Rusedski a big wet kiss for lighting a fire under his ass), I will personally whack his little bald head with a rolled-up Boston Globe.

TeeRexx
Sep 4th, 2002, 01:49 PM
griff - Oh, such a violent person you are. LOL

griffin
Sep 4th, 2002, 01:54 PM
Nah, just superstitious.

Hulet
Sep 4th, 2002, 01:54 PM
If Mr. Collins jinxes Momo, or inspires JCap to prove him wrong (imho, Mr. Sampras should give Mr. Rusedski a big wet kiss for lighting a fire under his ass),...
I will personally kiss his little bald head.

Legends
Sep 4th, 2002, 03:02 PM
What i'ld like to know is how he is going to 'eat crow' if his predictions come untrue.:rolleyes:

how do these 'article writers' retract their statements?

whatever....

i'm superstitious too and have a load of respect for JC's talent. Bud Collins had better not jinx Venus with those 'light a fire up your arse' comments to her (Venus') competition.

it does strike me however, especially with such stories about Denise calling up journalists to complain about certain articles/banning certain journalists, that the capriati camp pay too much attention to the press, anyway.

if they have a 'damn you' attitude they might as well take it all the way, develop thicker skins and not react to put-downs or ' he said/she said' comments that the press keep putting forward.

vw43
Sep 4th, 2002, 03:56 PM
Yawn. Bud Collins is about as innovative as Tee Rexx is subtle. Jen has a lot to work on but as a fan I prefer to think positive and I would LOVE to see a Venus and Jen matchup.

Btw, has anyone checked out Bud's 80's wrestler pants...my, my, my...:o

TeeRexx
Sep 4th, 2002, 03:59 PM
vw43 - subtlety is my specialty. :)

earthcrystal
Sep 4th, 2002, 04:32 PM
I have a feeling this thread will take on new life in a couple of hours. ;)

Allez Amelie!

Barrie_Dude
Sep 4th, 2002, 05:20 PM
Normally, I agree with Bud, but this time:"GGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!:mad:

vw43
Sep 4th, 2002, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by TeeRexx
vw43 - subtlety is my specialty. :)

TeeRexx - oh dear, I thought ignorant hypocrisy was your specialty...my bad darling :kiss:

Informative
Sep 4th, 2002, 06:59 PM
Bud was right

roots
Sep 4th, 2002, 07:00 PM
Go fuck yourself!

Informative
Sep 4th, 2002, 07:01 PM
He was still right LOL

Gonzo Hates Me!
Sep 4th, 2002, 07:02 PM
Wuh!

Wow!

Cam'ron Giles
Sep 4th, 2002, 07:05 PM
Hehe, way to go bud...you sure know how to call them. Miss Manners was sent packing...

roots
Sep 4th, 2002, 07:05 PM
Maybe my words were a bit strong. How else should I take your prissy little comment. Don't say it wasn't to stir things up 'cause you wouldn't have come back to the thread and see if somebody had answered back!

Informative
Sep 4th, 2002, 07:07 PM
"Sticks and stones may break your bones but words will never hurt me"...LOL

earthcrystal
Sep 4th, 2002, 07:08 PM
Bud knows his stuff. :p

Dawn Marie
Sep 4th, 2002, 07:53 PM
INFORMATIVE you are making me laugh out loud.:D

I am glad Momo won because I like her style,(even though after the wimby she grated my nerve) I still respect her game, and her sweet personality. She beat Jen and I would rather see her in the semi then Jennifer. Momo deserved it more imho. She is good for tennis. I bet Yannick is happy.:)

Volcana
Sep 4th, 2002, 08:01 PM
Buuuuuuuuuudddddd

TeeRexx
Sep 4th, 2002, 08:11 PM
Boy, that damn Bud is a psychic!
Also, I am still very subtle as well. LOL

vw43, how ya doin', dahlin? :p

Hey, don't blame me, blame Bud! :)

vw43
Sep 4th, 2002, 08:30 PM
I'm doing well, thanks. My fave lost but I have enough class to deal with the disappointment without whining or making excuses. When my fave wins, I also have the grace not to try and rub it in...but then some posters have class and some, unfortunately, do not...and those that do not tend to get banned from messageboards...how frightful :cool:

mishar
Sep 4th, 2002, 09:00 PM
Bud is the best

frenchvee
Sep 4th, 2002, 09:39 PM
this second page is espcially funny
thanks everyone for a good laugh

TeeRexx
Sep 5th, 2002, 06:31 AM
You're welcome. :)

servenrichie
Sep 5th, 2002, 09:45 AM
Imagine Venus missing all this yummy quality points! I am really pissed! ;)

Congrats Amelie for a good match. When Capriati re-broke late in the second set, i kissed her goodbye. Good to see that she doesnt read all this quack commentaries, that stated she was not going to hold it up against Capriati mentally.

Once more congrats! Better luck next time Jenny!

Larrybid
Sep 5th, 2002, 05:42 PM
Bud will not be having any Crow, thank you. He is passing that serving plate to Greg Rusedski. Bon apetite Greg........