PDA

View Full Version : Capriati: 'What's Title IX?'

Infiniti2001
Aug 30th, 2002, 12:56 AM
NEW YORK (AP) - Ask Jennifer Capriati about Title IX, and she'd rather talk about tennis.
After her 6-4, 6-2 victory Thursday over Tina Pisnik at the U.S. Open, Capriati was asked the usual questions about her opponent, the match and her game.

Then someone threw a curveball.

``President Bush has been holding town meetings across the country about Title XI,'' the reporter said. ``He's considering changing this important legislation that's helped women get involved in sports. If you could say something to President Bush, what would you say?''

The 26-year-old Capriati's reply was a stunner.

``I have no idea what Title IX is,'' she said. ``Sorry.''

Donna LoPiano, executive director of the Women's Sports Foundation, wasn't shocked that Capriati knew nothing about the federal legislation mandating equal opportunity for women in college sports. The law marked its 30th anniversary last month.

``It doesn't surprise me,'' LoPiano said. ``So many of this generation of tennis players never played in college. They started young. They never played in the Title IX construct. They never ran into it.

``Any athletes who didn't come through the school system, I'd be shocked if they knew about Title IX. She's been totally sheltered from the issues for a long time.''

Chris De Maria, a spokesman for the WTA Tour, said players had been given a one-page handout on the history of Title IX and ``what it means to you as a tennis player,'' as part of a continuing distribution of information on current events or issues.

``Obviously, with the 30th anniversary, we felt it was something that could come up for discussion,'' De Maria said. ``With Title IX, you're dealing with young players who might not be aware of it.''

LoPiano thought that was the case with Capriati.

``They are all consumed with appearances, competitions and travel, and they've never focused on it,'' she said. ``Martina Navratilova and Chris Evert have served on our board. When they go beyond tennis and get involved, they all of a sudden come out of their cocoons.''

Capriati said she was aware of the role played by women's tennis pioneer Billie Jean King in the women's sports movement but that she had never had ``an in-depth'' conversation with King about the issue.

``They've done a lot of things to get us on board,'' Capriatti said. ``I know that and I definitely respect that. You know, they just started it and we're here to continue it.''

Lindsay Davenport - who, like Capriati, turned pro as a teen-ager - called Title IX a huge step to give women equality in collegiate sports. She also noted the recent controversy in which quota aspects of the legislation were blamed for cutbacks in men's sports.

``I don't like the (law) when it forces other men's sports in colleges to shut down because they don't have the money to keep programs going,'' Davenport said. ``I don't think that's what it's for.

``You definitely want women to get as many opportunities as they can in college sports. They probably could tweak the rule a little bit, but I think overall the idea was to promote women's sports. It's been great. In some areas maybe it could be changed a little.''

In June, education secretary Rod Paige told a Senate committee that a panel of sports professionals and educators will examine ways to improve Title IX.

The Commission on Opportunity in Athletics is being formed in the wake of a lawsuit that argues that the law helps women's sports at the expense of programs for men.

The 15-member commission will be headed by Cynthia Cooper, former WNBA player and coach, and Ted Leland, director of athletics at Stanford University. The commission will submit recommendations to Paige by Jan. 31.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

midora
Aug 30th, 2002, 01:13 AM
unfortunate indeed but I fear that she is not alone.

junkartist
Aug 30th, 2002, 01:28 AM
LMFAO!!!

J_Migoe
Aug 30th, 2002, 01:53 AM
She ain't no law student so nothing big if she know nothin' 'bout it!

magassi
Aug 30th, 2002, 02:08 AM
This is the first I've heard of this piece of legislation. Not surprised about it; it's Bush World and things are steadily declining...

TeeRexx
Aug 30th, 2002, 02:25 AM
Dammit, Infiniti2001, stop picking on poor Capriati.!
You apparently had a very good formal education, are well read and possess some class.

Jenn has no time to be weighed down by these useless skills and does not know what just about every female athlete in America is aware of about this issue.

Infiniti, stop badgering Jenn by expecting her to be a bright and classy athlete.
Let her be her own person. :)

Serena y Monica
Aug 30th, 2002, 02:54 AM
Ok ok...just shaking my friggin head again. Remembering that Mensa material she ain't.

Martian KC
Aug 30th, 2002, 02:55 AM
Maybe we should ask all the female tennis players than.:rolleyes:

CC
Aug 30th, 2002, 02:59 AM
Oh come on. The only reason I know about it is because they had a feature on it on TV.

I'd cut her some slack on this one.

Richie77
Aug 30th, 2002, 03:05 AM
Yeah, don't pick on her. I didn't know about Title IX until I got to college, which was only a few years ago.

Serena y Monica
Aug 30th, 2002, 03:08 AM
Y

She is a female athlete. If not for title 9 females would have little to no opportunity to be involved in athletics.

It's like Americans of African descent not know about the civil rights movement or women no knowing what sufferage is.

She is a bleeping idiot...but I think the press realizes this, it's like kicking a 3-legged dog.

JCFan
Aug 30th, 2002, 03:23 AM
Just heard about title IX as well through a TV show, and I am the same age as Capriati. I know she's in women's athletics, but she is definitely not one to care a whole lot about the details of something like that. Whether that's good or bad...I don't know. She's just trying to win some matches now. I hate when they ask these kinds of questions, especially knowing what kind of answer they will probably get.

Alley
Aug 30th, 2002, 03:29 AM
To be honest why would Jennifer Capriati be expected to know what it is. If she had ever been a college athlete that would be different, but title lX, has nothing to do with pro athletics, she has no reason to know or really care about it. Most WTA players probably have no idea what title lX is since it has been a non factor in there lives. I can almost assure you no foreign player has any idea what it is. I have to disagree that without title lX there would be no female athletics, title lX has done nothing for the majority of pro tennis players including Jennifer Capriati so why should she care about it.

CC
Aug 30th, 2002, 03:31 AM
Q. Obviously you chose not to go to college, but you and your mother have been close to sports development and sports issues over the years. President Bush is having a series of town hall meetings to discuss possible revisions on Title IX. If you could make any comments to the president about that, what would your thoughts be?

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Well, I mean, Title IX was a huge step I think all those years ago to try and give obviously women equality in collegiate sports. I think the idea behind it is a great one.
I don't like the sport when it forces other men's sports in colleges to shut down because they don't have the money to keep programs going. I don't think that's what it's for.
You know, you definitely want women to get as many opportunities as they can in college sports. But, you know, I know in tennis, I think men either three and a half or four and a half, I'm not sure on that, the women it's eight or nine. It's a huge discrepancy. Obviously, football, there's much more. They probably could tweak the rule a little bit, but I think overall the idea was to promote women's sports. It's been great. In some areas, maybe it could be changed a little.

Q. Have you had any discussions with the Leach family?

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Oh, many. I know all about it. CoachLeach is not a big fan of it. But I've defended the women as best I can. But he's tough (laughter).

Q. In a nutshell, without taking the next half hour, what does he say?

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I mean, it's frustrating to him when you run a men's collegiate team. Like I said, he only has three and a half or four and a half to work with. Guys are just dying to go to Stanford. Then like the women there get eight scholarships. They don't even play because only six singles players play. In that regard, he's not a big fan. But I think he's coming around in women's sports. He's becoming a bigger fan.

Q. Jennifer was just asked about Title IX. She hadn't heard of it. Some of us were a little surprised by that. Does that just talk about a tunnel vision some players get into? You've obviously been around the college game.

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I mean, a little bit surprising. But I don't think in her plan ever growing up, ever along her career path, did college ever really enter her focus. I don't know if that's the reason why or if she doesn't quite understand the movement that women's sports took all those years ago. I have no idea.

Q. Have you ever talked to Billie Jean about that?

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Yeah, many Fed Cups about that, as well.

Q. What's the most important thing you've gleaned from her?

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Billie is the most pro-women's sports believer that could possibly exist, tries to drill into our brains how important it is for women's equal rights, for women to have opportunities to play, how when she was growing up that women's sports didn't exist. It was really wrong for a woman to want to be an athlete or a little girl to want to be an athlete, and how lucky we are, especially in our sport, that we can make a living from it. All these other sports, she's going nuts, you can be a pro-women's basketball player, or soccer player, all these opportunities she didn't have growing up.
I have learned how lucky we are because of her and all the others in the '70s, we can make such a great living off this sport, how hopefully in another few years, my kids, other little girls, will want to be a pro athlete just like little boys.

Q. Do you think there's anything the WTA or players on tour can do to advance that in any way, or do you feel it's a matter of playing your game, do your best?

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Well, it's always a never-ending battle to try and grow it. Right now women's tennis is as hot as it can be. I think what can really help is when there's a group of players, more than just one or two, that other little girls can relate to, so you're not forced to choose between Steffi or Monica. Now you have one of the Williamses, Anna, myself, Monica, Jennifer. You can try and follow the path of a lot of different players.
But, I mean, the main thing is to always try and give back. It gets very tiring always playing tournaments. Certainly we don't always put forth our best effort. For the most part, I think the girls are pretty aware of the importance of 20 years from now what's going to happen to women's tennis, maybe not as focused as Billie Jean was in the '70s, but hopefully we'll get back to that kind of feeling, we need to keep growing it for other people, as well.

Q. The WTA gave me this and said that it's a form on Title IX. It says it was handed to all the tennis players a couple weeks ago. Did you see it?

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I have not received that yet, no. I'm sorry.

magassi
Aug 30th, 2002, 03:31 AM
Just another cheap shot at Jenn... cheaper by the dozen.

CC
Aug 30th, 2002, 03:37 AM
Venus said she just heard about it too.

disposablehero
Aug 30th, 2002, 03:45 AM
Yes, I am stunned, just stunned to discover that Jen has not in fact discussed these important issues with Billie Jean.

Serena y Monica
Aug 30th, 2002, 04:09 AM
I don't care who the female athlete is there is no excuse for them not understanding title nine.

As I've already stated it's no different than a woman not knowing about Roe v Wade or the sufferage movement. It's sad.

By the by if not for college athletics and title 9 women's tennis players would be still be played in private country clubs by a select few. There is no excuse for not understanding the issues that affect you and the world inwhich you live.

doublespartner
Aug 30th, 2002, 04:11 AM
I like JenCap but that is disappointing.

Alley
Aug 30th, 2002, 04:20 AM
By the by if not for college athletics and title 9 women's tennis players would be still be played in private country clubs by a select few. There is no excuse for not understanding the issues that affect you and the world inwhich you live.

I strongly disagree with this, professional womens tennis has nothing to thank title 9 for. How has title 9 done anything for pro women's tennis? Most of the players aren't even high school grads. I agree you need to know about the issues that affect you, but in no way does title 9 affect jen cap. It would be nice if she new about it but it's not surprising or in my opinion wrong of her to not know what it is. It has never been an issue in her life. For christ's sake she was pro at 13.

Cam'ron Giles
Aug 30th, 2002, 04:32 AM
Shamefull. Kind of like Barry Bonds not knowing the significance of Jackie Robinson...A Keynsian Economist not knowing the significance of John Maynard Keynes ( :rolleyes::)

mishar
Aug 30th, 2002, 05:16 AM
Compare Lindsay and Jennifer's interviews and you see the difference between them as people.

Dawn Marie
Aug 30th, 2002, 05:24 AM
A hell of a difference, what baffles me is that the older Jen gets the less intelligent she seems. Sure she can hit a ball, but dayum... Get with it Jen.

Amanda
Aug 30th, 2002, 05:41 AM
Total embarrassment t women's sports. As a female athlete, Jennifer really has no class.

JCFan
Aug 30th, 2002, 05:59 AM
What the hell does not knowing about title IX have to do with class?? And why no talk about the reaction Venus had? I don't think she knows anymore than Jen about it. She just wasn't quite at blunt with her answer.

gentenaire
Aug 30th, 2002, 06:09 AM
LMAO disposable!!

TeeRexx
Aug 30th, 2002, 06:42 AM
Poor Jenn.

Research does show that excessive marajuana use does destroy brain cells and can cause memory loss and learning difficulties.
Though this may not be Jenn's case at all.

The problem could be herdeitary.

darren cahill
Aug 30th, 2002, 10:11 AM
Knowing Jen, she probably thought it referred to yet, another final matchup with Venus vs Serena. She was probably counting in her head how many title matches it had been and didnt come up with that many. To be honest, thats what i thought it meant when i saw the topic listed and was thinking it was gonna refer to another final with venus and serena. Jen probably thinks every question is about them cause it is.

Aug 30th, 2002, 10:19 AM
I thought it had something to do with winning 9 titles too

veryborednow
Aug 30th, 2002, 10:24 AM
``I have no idea what Title IX is,'' she said. ``Sorry.''

Sounds like a perfect Bush answer to me - I just thought she was doing impressions...

Hulet
Aug 30th, 2002, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by veryborednow

Sounds like a perfect Bush answer to me - I just thought she was doing impressions...

LMAO

Lindsayfan
Aug 30th, 2002, 11:22 AM
can someone explains here (for helping not-american ppl to understand) what Title IX is?
thanks!

veryborednow
Aug 30th, 2002, 11:29 AM
Lindsayfan - there's an explanation in the other thread about this. Something to do with womens equal sporting rights in college. I think ...

Nimi
Aug 30th, 2002, 11:38 AM
My god i havent realised how much it sucks. I mean, i read those posts, & i just dont know why am i a member of WTAworld, i mean, this place is like a nest of absolute idiots.

TeeRexx
Aug 30th, 2002, 11:41 AM
quote by Niminator:
----
My god i havent realised how much it sucks. I mean, i read those posts, & i just dont know why am i a member of WTAworld, i mean, this place is like a nest of absolute idiots.
----

Nim - You are so right.
Just amazing that so many American posters were unaware of Title IX.
Yeah, that really sucks. :)

Greenout
Aug 30th, 2002, 11:47 AM
I know about the debate on funding in Universities
regarding their sport programs;but I never knew there
it's called TITLE IX.

I went to University in the late 80's, and I never heard of
TITLE IX. How in the world would Jenn know- Geez..I'm
older than her, read the newspapers etc... and it's new
to me.

I wish they would stop attacking tennis players on politics.
Does Tiger Woods know what TITLE IX is? Does Marion Jones?
Does Mia Hamm?

Nimi
Aug 30th, 2002, 11:50 AM
Yes Tee, that exactly. Go play with your cat or something.

leebee
Aug 30th, 2002, 12:54 PM
Capriati is my least favorite player, and I never thought I'd be defending her, but I've got to say I think it's unfair to call her stupid because she doesn't know about Title IX. There are probably so many people, places, events, trying to get her attention that she can't focus on everything. I think it was very honest of her to admit that she didn't know. Many people would have tried to bluff their way through the question.

griffin
Aug 30th, 2002, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by veryborednow

Not true - Bush would have Bushitted his was through, trying to pretend he had a clue (I can just hear him babbling about film titles and how they should be regulated) Remember how pleased he was to hear he'd been endoresed by Canada's "Prime Minister Poutine"?

As horrifying as it is that Jen doesn't know about Title IX, I knew women who played sports IN COLLEGE who didn't have a clue either :sad:

Aloysius
Aug 30th, 2002, 02:30 PM
We certainly are a judgmental bunch in here if we're chastising Jennifer for not knowing anything about Title 9. Should she swot to please the public? :rolleyes:

vw43
Aug 30th, 2002, 02:45 PM
I played college tennis and have never heard of Title 9. I am also classy and educated. I also realize that I don't know everything and can't be expected to know things that have never been introduced to me. I also have no problem with admitting when I have no clue about something. I would much rather admit that I am clueless and have someone fill me in and actually learn something than to bullshit my way through life. I also don't take the moral high ground or try and act condescending to those who don't know things that I do.

Maybe Jennifer will look into Title 9 and find out what it's all about now that it has been introduced to her. Maybe she will not. I think she's probably very focused on tennis at the moment as she is participating in the US OPEN.

Tee Rexx: You are so right..it probably is "herdeitary"..lmfao..:rolleyes:

griffin
Aug 30th, 2002, 02:58 PM
FYI, for those unfamiliar:

(cribbed from http://www.edc.org/WomensEquity/resource/title9/)

"No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance."
Title IX, 1972, Education Amendments

As applied to sports, it means schools that receive federal funds have to provide equal opportunity to female athletes. It was used to counter massive inequlities in college and high school athletics in the US.

To quote an Ellen Goodman column (http://www.postwritersgroup.com/archives/good0618.htm): Before the law, there were only 32,000 women on intercollegiate teams. Today, there are 150,000. Before the law, there were 300,000 girls on competitive high school teams. Now there are 2.78 million. As a new report from the National Women's Law Center shows, girls are still second-class (or second-locker-room) citizens in a lot of places. But that's still a whole lot of soccer moms, lacrosse dads and basketball daughters.

It's actually one of the weakest anti-discrimination statutes on the books - you don't have to prove you're in compliance with the law, just that you're trying, or that you're doing better at it than the last time someone complained.

eshell
Aug 30th, 2002, 03:16 PM
Thank you, Griffin!

I'm a college educated male and knew intimately about Title IX. I knew about it and it had no effect on me! (I didn't play intercollegiate or high school athletics)

With that said, we must cut Cappy some slack. She was raised to be a tennis player. She didn't go to high school (I don't think so anyway) or college and never was told that she would have to champion Title IX. Because of her circumstances, Title IX would have little effect on her UNLESS she eventually has a daughter who plays high school or college sports.

Now we can extrapolate about how the presence of more female athletes has produced more revenue and more women's professional leagues in the States but why would Cappy ponder such things???

Because of some of the laziness of Athletic Directors at many college campuses, Title IX is receiving a bum rap. In order to give equal access to women, many in charge have cut male sports at their schools including swim teams, wrestling, golf, tennis, etc.

Their reasoning??? Their budgets can't absorb adding more women's teams and maintaining the other 'non-revenue' sports.

The issues are much more complex. This is a brief synopsis colored by my views (of course).

griffin
Aug 30th, 2002, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by eshell

Because of some of the laziness of Athletic Directors at many college campuses, Title IX is receiving a bum rap. In order to give equal access to women, many in charge have cut male sports at their schools including swim teams, wrestling, golf, tennis, etc.

Their reasoning??? Their budgets can't absorb adding more women's teams and maintaining the other 'non-revenue' sports.

Not to get off topic and start a whole other argument, but I have to disagree - the biggest threat to the so-called "non-revenue" men's sports aren't women's sports, but the "revenue sport" ie football (which usually DOESN'T produce revenue) But who's going to pick on football? (perhaps that's a thread for another day ;))

eshell
Aug 30th, 2002, 03:28 PM
I agree with you, Griffin. You'll find no argument from me.

HOWEVER, the athletic directors always talk about the 'non-revenue' sports. I was paraphrasing what I read so often from so many ADs.

veryborednow
Aug 30th, 2002, 03:47 PM
I guess this is the most publicity Title IX has ever had

eshell
Aug 30th, 2002, 03:55 PM
It's getting so much publicity, VBN, because it may be dismantled after the Commission presents its findings.

griffin
Aug 30th, 2002, 04:11 PM
No problem eshell ;) I just didn't want people getting the wrong idea.

vw43
Aug 30th, 2002, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the update, Griffin. I am suprised I have never heard of this before now. I went to a large state school and we never really had any funding issues..there was women's lacrosse for chrissake...but I do see it's importance.

:)

Couver
Aug 30th, 2002, 04:34 PM
I agree perhaps she should have know what it was, but chewing her out like this is a little harsh. It's hard to keep track of so many government policies. And at least now it is brought to her attention, and perhaps in the future she won't make the same mistake.

I'm just glad the press handed her a different question. I'm so sick of them baiting Jennifer with V & S questions. And her falling for them so easily.

QUEENLINDSAY
Aug 30th, 2002, 05:24 PM
I studied here in Newyork and I heard about that Title IX already but I never give a shit with that for I am not an American Citizen and I dont think I need to know it for I know it does'nt affect me in anyway.

As for Jennifer Capritai, She should actually know this being a FED CUP player and a Professional player. But I wont call her stupid because she just does'nt care.

As for Lindsay, She really is one of the smartest player in the WTA. No Wonder she could be one the gratest commentator not only in tennis but as a whole in Women Sports.