PDA

View Full Version : Jelena Dokic: ''I quit for 4 weeks last year''

OZTENNIS
Jan 28th, 2009, 04:24 AM
BORN-again star Jelena Dokic has revealed she quit tennis for four weeks last year.
Speaking to a small group of journalists in Melbourne today, just 16 hours after her giant-killing run at the Australian Open came to an end, Dokic spoke candidly about a range of issues, including:
* Her tempestuous relationship with her coach.
* How close she was to retirement.
* Her reconciliation with her mother.
* Why she won't be speaking to her father any time soon.
* Her goal of returning to a top-10 ranking.
Dokic said she decided to retire from tennis mid-way through last year when she was over-weight and depressed.

"At one stage I made the decision," Dokic said. "And about four weeks later I changed my mind."
Dokic, who fell to Russia's Dinara Safina 6-4 4-6 6-4 last night, said one of the secrets to her success at this tournament was her fiery relationship with her coach, Borna Bikic.
"He's very stubborn, as well, like me. In a way, it's a good mix," Dokic said.
"Sometimes we blow up against eahc other, but we have the right combination.
"We yell, trust me."
The 24-year-old said there was no chance of reconciliation with her father, Damir, but she was now in daily contact with her mother Liliana.

See tomorrow's Herald Sun for the full story behind Dokic's extraordinary comeback..

kittyking
Jan 28th, 2009, 04:31 AM
BORN-again star Jelena Dokic has revealed she quit tennis for four weeks last year.
Speaking to a small group of journalists in Melbourne today, just 16 hours after her giant-killing run at the Australian Open came to an end, Dokic spoke candidly about a range of issues, including:
* Her tempestuous relationship with her coach.
* How close she was to retirement.
* Her reconciliation with her mother.
* Why she won't be speaking to her father any time soon.
* Her goal of returning to a top-10 ranking.
Dokic said she decided to retire from tennis mid-way through last year when she was over-weight and depressed.

"At one stage I made the decision," Dokic said. "And about four weeks later I changed my mind."
Dokic, who fell to Russia's Dinara Safina 6-4 4-6 6-4 last night, said one of the secrets to her success at this tournament was her fiery relationship with her coach, Borna Bikic.
"He's very stubborn, as well, like me. In a way, it's a good mix," Dokic said.
"Sometimes we blow up against eahc other, but we have the right combination.
"We yell, trust me."
The 24-year-old said there was no chance of reconciliation with her father, Damir, but she was now in daily contact with her mother Liliana.

See tomorrow's Herald Sun for the full story behind Dokic's extraordinary comeback..

Bonus points for her honesty there, she seems to yell ALOT!

It's such a shame that she lost last night, I can just imagine the photos of her sitting in a horse carage, dressed like a fairy (yes with wings!) holding the Australian Open trophy :angel:

vutt
Jan 28th, 2009, 06:23 AM
I bet Borna believes that achieving QF at GS this week is result of his great work...

Philip
Jan 28th, 2009, 10:14 AM
I bet Borna believes that achieving QF at GS this week is result of his great work...
As her coach... he does take some credit, no? :shrug:

Just Do It
Jan 28th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Well, she had a solid first part of the year, and she still decided to retire for 4 weeks ?

vutt
Jan 28th, 2009, 11:30 AM
As her coach... he does take some credit, no? :shrug:

some, well, maybe. Historically with other players his coaching skills have proven to be medicore.

[edit] on second thought - forget it, it's probably me just having bad day :p

cosmic
Jan 28th, 2009, 11:49 AM
I'd like to see his CV...

cn ireland
Jan 28th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Well, she had a solid first part of the year, and she still decided to retire for 4 weeks ?

Well in another article it states that she decided to quit in mid-2007 which would make more sense.

She also said that she enjoyed watching Henin when she was off and found her inspiring.

Henin was my least favourite player but if she has contributed in any way to Jelena's comeback, i'm thankful;)!