PDA

View Full Version : Jennifer - The purest ball striker?

DEETHELICK
Aug 29th, 2002, 10:58 PM
On today's commentary, Burgin said Jennifer was the purest striker of the ball in the women's game.

I totally agree, each and every shot was hit so solidly and you could 'hear' the purity. She really hits the ball so well.

Who do you think is the purest hitter?

Berlin_Calling
Aug 29th, 2002, 11:03 PM
I think Mary Pierce is a great ballstriker. She hits very cleanly. ;) Of course, Im biased.

veryborednow
Aug 29th, 2002, 11:08 PM
Jen and also Lindsay

disposablehero
Aug 29th, 2002, 11:26 PM
Monica, by very far. Legendary Men's players call her the best ballstriker in history.

Dawn Marie
Aug 29th, 2002, 11:35 PM
When players are in their grooves on the court and play their best, I think Seles, Pierce are tops. People forget about Pierce, but really she hits the ball so smoothy when she is playing her best. Seles also, she hits the ball so cleanly when she is playing her best. Lindsay is great too, but If Seles or Pierce were playing their best against Jenn and Lindsay, I would bet that MP and MS, would look cleaner of the 4.

Cybelle Darkholme
Aug 30th, 2002, 12:20 AM
Monica
Lindsay
Jen
mary

magassi
Aug 30th, 2002, 01:26 AM
I think Lindsay and Jennifer are the "cleanest"/"purest" strikers of the ball. They seem to hit the ball in the middle of the racquet everytime -- "sweet spot." I have been watching tennis for years now, and I have never read or heard any expert or commentator refer to Monica's ball striking as "clean" or "pure." Sorry, must disagree with that...

J_Migoe
Aug 30th, 2002, 01:55 AM
Yeah, Jennifer seems to strike the ball so well...so purely. She's the best in this area.

GrandSlammed
Aug 30th, 2002, 03:43 AM
It use to be Capriati... until Lindsay Davenport came along. Lindsay Davenport is the best striker of the ball, according to B.J. King. Navratilova, Shriver and M.J. Fernandez have also chosen Davenport.

1. Davenport
2. Capriati - Pierce

Monica@53
Aug 30th, 2002, 03:51 AM
I think Monica is a clean striker of the ball but not as clean as Mary and Lindsay and Jennifer. I would say Lindsay is the cleanest striker of the ball overall (ie from both sides), plus she plays the ball deep more consistently than the other two.

AmonRa777
Aug 30th, 2002, 04:03 AM
If you are talking about, striking balls that are in your zone...Monica is easily the best...Hantuchova strikes is good when she gets to it..

If you are talking about moving sideline to sideline...I would say Jennifer and Venus..

If you are talking about moving foward, i would say Venus and Serena..

Lindsey and Monica strike a good ball...but only if they can reach it comfortably...Jennifer, the Sisters and Daniella can go side to side and really whack it...Jennifer can be overpowered on the backhand side, so surely that is not a pure stroke...

People are mistaking a flatball for a purely struck ball, but that is not always the case...there are a lot of great ball strikers that hit with a little more spin...ala Justin Henin and Sugiyama

If you are gonna make these generalization, dispense with the superficial non-sense and be analytical....If Jennifer was such a pure ball striker she wouldn't have so many unforced errors... Lindsey does strike it very well...that how she almost gets away with her turtle like speed....

Best all around has to be Monica...how else can you explain 9 grand slam titles with her limited mobility

bobcat
Aug 30th, 2002, 04:07 AM
In the early 90's Monica was actually one of the faster players on the tour. It's only in the last 5 years or so that she's been so slow.

Larrybid
Aug 30th, 2002, 04:50 AM
Originally posted by magassi
I have been watching tennis for years now, and I have never read or heard any expert or commentator refer to Monica's ball striking as "clean" or "pure." Sorry, must disagree with that...

You must have missed Seles' match today because John McEnroe said Seles was one of the best all time ball strikers...when she gets to the ball. I would agree.

DiZZiA
Aug 30th, 2002, 05:57 AM
I feel sorry for the tennis balls when I was watching a match between Jen & Monica... They both are very pure and strong ball strikers!!!

Williams Rulez
Aug 30th, 2002, 12:59 PM
Lindsay is tops, and Mary is second. Jennifer is a very close 3rd.

Nimi
Aug 30th, 2002, 01:37 PM
I dont think Seles right now is the best at this. At her prime maybe. Mary is up there only at her very best.
Jenn & Lindsay are the best in that area

Tatiana Panova
Aug 30th, 2002, 07:49 PM
Mary is probably the cleanest striker of the ball - she hits right in the middle and has superb timing. She hits off forehand and backhand very cleanly.

Second has to be Lindsay - but she does hit with a lot more spin than Mary and so is not quite as clean.

Definitely Jen off that forehand, but I don't think her backhand is as clean as Marys and Lindsays.

I also think Venus strikes a very clean ball off her backhand, and Serena off her forehand.

QUEENLINDSAY
Aug 30th, 2002, 08:05 PM
For me it should be in this order:

Overall Strokes:
1. Lindsay
2. Monica
3. Jennifer
4. Venus( this is only as of late)

Backhand:
1. Lindsay
2. Venus
3. Monica

Forehand:
1. Jeniffer
2. Lindsay
3. Monica

Kiki
Aug 30th, 2002, 08:19 PM
I'd say Monica and Lindsay look cleaner than everybody else when their striking the ball.

Kart
Aug 31st, 2002, 12:43 AM
I'm always impressed at how little JenCap's groundstrokes break down, even under pressure. Part of it is footwork and speed without doubt but she certainly seems to consistently hit the ball cleanly. Whether she's the best ever I don't know but she's pretty damn good :cool:.

harloo
Aug 31st, 2002, 02:15 AM
Purest stricker of the ball is Lindsay flat out. Mary also. Jennifer doesn't cut it IMO.

TS
Aug 31st, 2002, 02:18 AM
I think Jennifer is up there. People in here arent giving her enough credit.

Williams Rulez
Aug 31st, 2002, 02:41 AM
Yeah, up there in the top 3... ;)

And yes, I do agree that Venus has a very very clean backhand, but her forehand, that's something else...

CC
Aug 31st, 2002, 02:50 AM
Lindsay
Jennifer
Daniela

bello
Aug 31st, 2002, 03:06 AM
Definately Jennifer, Linds and Monica, probably Jenn the most these days. Also, im suprised noone has mentioned Serena??

-Sonic-
Aug 31st, 2002, 12:05 PM
I'd also have to go for Lindsay.

Weevee
Aug 31st, 2002, 12:25 PM
"Purest striker of the ball" What does this mean? Is it a good thing? Does it help you to win or does it help you to lose? Is it something that commentators say when they can't find anything intelligent to say?
Are their some shots that can never be "pure shots"?

DEETHELICK
Aug 31st, 2002, 04:25 PM
Pure striker means hitting the ball cleanly.

The groundstrokes and any other shot are hit from the centre of the racket 99% of the time. The feel for the ball is always so good.

Hitting a clean ball is definitely beneficial for the player. Look how few hit the ball so cleanly.

SerenasMelons
Aug 31st, 2002, 05:35 PM
maybe Jen strikes the ball so "pure" or "cleanly" because she hits it so flat. Does that make a difference or not? Spin or no spin?

DEETHELICK
Aug 31st, 2002, 10:46 PM
I'm assuming nope, as even if you hit with spin, hitting it consistently from the middle of the racket ensures a clean stroke.

Jennifer is technically faultless too, and admittedly hits both BH and FH well.

Lindsay also hits the ball cleanly when she gets to the ball. Ditto for Monica and Mary. Jen is quick enough around the court to get to every ball with early preparation and smack the ball cleanly.