PDA

View Full Version : Capriati enjoys role as main threat to Williams sisters

GogoGirl
Aug 29th, 2002, 07:51 PM
I thought Jen said she didn't like the role. I like her attitude. She is suppose to feel as if she can beat anybody - to include the Sisters.

http://www.dispatch.co.za/2002/08/29/sport/BTENNIS.HTM

Capriati enjoys role as main threat to Williams sisters

NEW YORK -- Australian Open champion Jennifer Capriati ripped Richard Williams for disrespectful remarks and said she likes being seen as the main threat to his top-ranked daughters meeting in another Grand Slam final.

Third seed Capriati beat American qualifier Bethanie Mattek 6-0, 6-0 in 44 minutes in a first-round US Open match here Tuesday, then cut loose on the father of world number one Serena Williams and her second-ranked sister Venus.

Told of Williams' remarks to Inside Tennis magazine that she should stop cursing on the court and listen to her father, Capriati lashed out.

"You can see how ignorant and disrespectful that sounds," Capriati said.

"And he gets away with it. It's too bad. It's no class.

''He should just concentrate on his daughters. I don't need his advice.

"I've never made perso-nal remarks. I could say things about them.

''But I'm not going to because I'm not going to lower myself to that."

Venus beat Serena in last year's US Open final, their first showdown for a Grand Slam title. But Serena beat Venus in the Wimbledon and French Open finals.

The Williams sisters have dominated with Capriati the biggest threat to the fourth all-Williams final in the past five Grand Slams.

"I think I like hearing that. It's a good thing to hear it," Capriati said.

"Maybe I'm not the only one.

"My goal is to win the tournament and try to play my best. My goal is not to disrupt a Williams final.

''That's taking away from the game and it's like they own the game and I'm trying to stop them from owning it.

"There are a lot of other things that made this game besides them."

The Williams sisters have made the outcomes more predictable, taking seven of the past 12 Slam crowns between them and the top two ranking spots, making an all-Williams final more likely as long as they stay in the top two spots.

"When we have both gotten there, it has been really sweet success for both of us," Venus Williams said.

Capriati hopes to sour the taste.

"People can talk all they want. I'm just concentrating on changing that," Capriati said.

"That's fine. Let them think what they want to think.

''It's better that way. I can go through the draw quietly the way I have been."

Serena Williams has beaten Capriati in their three meetings this year, including 3-6, 7-6 (7/2), 6-2 in the French Open semi-finals, a 6-2, 3-6, 7-5 Rome semi-final triumph and a 7-5, 7-6 (7/4) victory in the Miami final.

"It's hard with me. I have played Serena tough," Capriati said.

"I thought I could've won some of those matches."

Chanda Rubin, who beat Serena Williams in the Los Angeles quarter-finals earlier this month, sees the sisters getting tougher as rivals gang up against them.

"You sort of hear that. I think that's all fine and good," Rubin said.

"I look at that as a challenge as a player.

''You accept that challenge. We will have to see who steps up."

Jelena Dokic, the fifth seed, is among the players who have said the Williams sisters simply might be too tough for the rest of the field. But Rubin cites Capriati in saying the WTA's finest have not given up just yet.

"Jennifer has had some great matches with Serena," she said.

"It didn't seem like she was taking a step back or just conceding."

Venus' next foe is Australia's Alicia Molik, who has confidence she can dethrone the queen of Flushing Meadows.

"If she was unbeatable, she would have a clean record and I'm pretty sure she has one or two losses," Molik said.

"She is a great player. She is not going to lose the match. She doesn't have too many weak points.

"Anyone that is going to beat Venus needs to serve well, return well, hit bloody well off the ground. They also need to mix their game up. I need to make her think. If you can do all that, maybe you are giving yourself a good shot."

Aussie Nicole Pratt gives Capriati a solid chance against either Williams sister, but see the sisters as less vulnerable the deeper into the draw they go.

"They are beatable in the early rounds," Pratt said.

"As soon as they start to get their teeth into the tournament, that's when they start to do very well.

"Capriati is always in for a shot. There are a few girls out there who can give them a run in the first rounds. I think in the earlier rounds, they think they can just go out there and win based on who they are and how they are playing.

"But if they don't get knocked out in the first week, I would say put money on both of them getting through." -- Sapa-AFP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

midora
Aug 29th, 2002, 08:32 PM
''He should just concentrate on his daughters. I don't need his advice.

I am not going to comment on Capriati because how I feel about her ain't pretty but I will say that I think it is very interesting how the press likes to stir things up. If you look at the above quote, and see it as it was ORIGINALLY written, Jen said after "he should concentrate on his daughters" she said and he is doing a good job. Since the controversy heated up, they have dropped the part about good job or put ellipses(. . . ) in their stead. God forbid the press should concentrate on tennis.

Cybelle Darkholme
Aug 29th, 2002, 08:49 PM
Hmmm why doesn't she let her raket do the talking? She always comes off so bad when she responds to nonsense. Though it does make good copy, but its at her expense.

I just found this at tennisreporters.

Jennifer obviously sees the Williamses as her main rivals, saying that she enjoys hearing that she has the best chance to unseat the Williamses from their third Slam in a row.

“I like hearing it,” she said. “It‚s a good thing. Maybe I‚m not the only
one. Lindsay‚ back and playing well. But it‚s a lot of pressure to bear, too.
My goals to try and win the tournament. My goal is not to disrupt the
Williams final. That's taking away from the actual game and it‚s like they‚re
owning the game and trying to stop them from owning it. There‚s a lot of
other things that makes this game besides them.”

Okay is it me or just a few weeks ago didn't she say that she had stopped thinking of herself as the one to take out v and s? That she was just going to focus on her game? Looks like Richard Williams got her to throw a very good strategy out the window.

Cam'ron Giles
Aug 29th, 2002, 08:53 PM
What a sad state the women of the WTA world is in...Keep em talking Venus and Serena.

Volcana
Aug 29th, 2002, 11:05 PM
Of course Jenn like hearing people think she has a chance to beat Venus or Serena. The alternative is people saying she has NO chance. Having never beaten Venus, and losing the last three, four, fve in a row to Serena, and not having won a tournament since January, I'd say she has damn little chance.

I can't imagine how she could beat Veuns after all this time.

DEETHELICK
Aug 29th, 2002, 11:50 PM
I'm glad Jen mentioned Lindsay. At least she doesn't think of herself as the only person who can defeat them.

There are others, but I seriously think Jen and Lindsay are the only ones who can make serious damage.

You have to at least believe in yourself, and I'm glad Jen does that. If she didn't, the Williams would have already won half the battle.

Volcana, Jen would have to defeat Venus the way she knows how....playing tough and being much better prepared for Venus and her game (read: more prepared to have to play one extra ball). Assuming they both get there.

Venus will get a lot of balls back with power, Jen needs to be absolutely ready for that. Also Jennifer's serving and Venus' will be a key factor. Venus 2nd serves are decidedly shaky, whilst Jen's DFs are her achilles heel.

It would be very interesting to see this match!

Serena y Monica
Aug 29th, 2002, 11:57 PM
If Jenn believed in herself A. she would have beaten Serena just once this year. B. She'd save it for the court. C. She wouldn't talk shit then back up by pulling Lindsay into her little grudge match.

She is a silly child in woman's body. By the way...is Amelie in her 1/4...lol.

DEETHELICK
Aug 30th, 2002, 12:04 AM
Serena won because she was the better player on the day (and for most of this year in fact!).

She hasn't played Venus this year, and I think she is geared up to at least take it to them. So we'll see what happens on-court.

She isn't 'pulling' Lindsay into anything, she is actually showing respect that Lindsay is that good a player that she can seriously have an effect on the Williams domination.

Most commentators here see Lindsay and Jen as the biggest threats, all Jen is doing is re-iterating what most analysts are saying.

And as for Amelie, Jen knows exactly how to beat her. Its just a case of putting it into practice. If I remember, Jen beat her last year in the QFs.

Anyway, lets see how this 'silly woman' performs this year....okay??

bello
Aug 30th, 2002, 06:04 AM
I would love to know who Nicole Pratt sees beating Venus or Serena in first week?? Maybe Lucic, Safina, Molik?? They were very successful...