PDA

View Full Version : Will Monica Seles or Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario win another grandslam?

CJ07
Aug 29th, 2002, 05:30 PM
I'd like to hear everyones thoughts I'd say yes for monica and arantxa can make one last QF or SF run at the French, but not win it.

anabel
Aug 29th, 2002, 05:33 PM
Arantxa in doubles, maybe, in singles sounds a joke, although i would love it.

Seles, qf semis, i think yes, a new title no...

TatiAnnahølic
Aug 29th, 2002, 05:34 PM
Can my grandmother join the Wta Tour?

Mitzi
Aug 29th, 2002, 05:37 PM
lol @ the question... No way!

selesrules
Aug 29th, 2002, 06:34 PM
Monica can still win slams. Look at the Australien Open, she almost made the final and she's still beating the top players (wins over Serena, Capriati & Hingis last year, and Venus this year, not to mention her serveral wins over Clijsters, Dokic, Henin, Hantuchova, etc.

As for Aranxta, she's having trouble winning one match so I have to say no.

CJ07
Aug 29th, 2002, 09:52 PM
Can my grandmother join the Wta Tour?
-------------------------------------

oh come on

CJ07
Aug 29th, 2002, 10:00 PM
I think whenever they decide to retire, the GS before they'll really push themselves to atleast get to the final like Martina Navratilova did in '94

Gallofa
Aug 29th, 2002, 10:05 PM
Arantxa is nowhere in the league of Monica, she has never been really, but it is unfortunately very clear at the moment. I wouldn't count Monica out of a RG title, if she's in top form, she's not too old. She needs to work on her conditioning I feel, I don't really follow Monica, but I think she really needs a little push in her training that will allow her to have the added energy for that 7th match. I mean, Conchita made the final of RG in 2000. I don't see why Monica can't be at the 2003 one :)

cochin
Aug 29th, 2002, 10:13 PM
monica is still a force to reckon with. She surely will win one last major tournament, cause she is still hungry for it. As for sanchez-No chace.

Monica@53
Aug 29th, 2002, 10:15 PM
I could see Sanchez winning a doubles Grand Slam title. Seles, it's hard to imagine her winning another big one but I do know that she has it in her if the body's right and the mind's right. Those two factors need to come into full force simultaneously and as a huge Seles fan, I really hope that they do.

Otherwise, I'm just happy to watch her play... she has nothing left to prove, she's done all she's needed to do.

Volcana
Aug 29th, 2002, 10:24 PM
ANYONE in a tournament CAN win it. You question is 'WILL" they, which calls for a prediction.

In both cases, the answer is no.

ASV, no way. Her form's been gone for years.

Monica is still good enough that she can beat anyone on the tour, IF that player is having a bad day. If she has to play Serena, Venus, Lindsay or Jenn and they have their normal days, forget it. And it would be 50-50 vs Henin, Clijsters or Mauresmo.

And she at a point in her career where she isn't improving.

The only players who can win ANOTHER GS title are the players who've already won one. That's a short list.

Monica Seles, Martina Hingis, Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario, Venus Williams, Serena Williams, Jennifer Capriati, Lindsay Davenport, Mary Pierce, Iva Majoli and Conchi.

WILL win another GS title
The only two players on that list defending a GS title AND who are still winning tournaments are Venus and Serena. To me, they are the ONLY two I'd risk saying will DEFINITELY win another GS title.

CLose but youhave to ask questions
Jenn won OZ this year, but hasn't won since.
Lindsay finished last year #1, and is a least back to top five level.

[Better than the rest, no threat to the best[/u]
Monica Seles

The draw would have to open up, but if it did...
Iva Majoli - see Charleston

[u]Waiting to see recovery from injury, but it looks doubtful
Martina Hingis
Mary Pierce

[u]too far gone from their GS winning form
Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario
Conchi.

CJ07
Aug 29th, 2002, 10:27 PM
I agree, but like i said i think that whenever she decides to go, she'll make one last run at the Australian or French open where she has the best chance. Everyone seems to forget that theres only 4 players in the top 10 that get in her way Venus, and Serena (who dont count because no1 can consistantly beat them) Lindsay and Martina. And shes beaten Martina once or twice this year already. Its just those two and sometimes 3 matches that get by her, I really think after the Australian she kicked herself because shes was sooo close shes 9-5 against JCap and shes beaten her 2-1 this year so that was her big chance, oh well.

mboyle
Aug 29th, 2002, 10:39 PM
Monica has a chance to win ONE more slam. I really think the Australian is her best chance. Not everyone is fresh there, and Monica has a great chance this off season to really work with MIke on Conditioning. She has the power, she can really protect her serve, and she has the mind, but will she have the fitness? As for it being a 50/50 vs. Henin, Momo, and Kim, Monica routinely beats those three on everything save grass. (Monica never EVER had a chance on grass because she can't volley for her life). I say it is 90/10 for Monica on those three, 60/40 vs. Jenny Cap, 40/60 vs. Marti, and a complete longshot vs. Linds, Vee, and Ree. As for Arantxa, it is a joke to even put her on the same par as Monica. Arantxa barely wins matches anymore, Monica has won two (granted small) titles this year, and reached a grand slam semi final.

DEETHELICK
Aug 29th, 2002, 10:42 PM
Monica has a better chance than Arantxa.

Arantxa is a legitimate contender in doubles, her singles form has dropped markedly since May 01 (at that time she was No. 8 in the world!!).

Monica can hold her own against the biggest of hitters. If Arantxa had a power game, I'd favour Arantxa over Monica as she has much more variety and 'feel' for the court.

But she doesn't, so I pick Monica!