PDA

View Full Version : Martina coming back this early was as stupid her actions verse graf in the FO final.

TennisSTUD
Aug 29th, 2002, 03:33 PM
I lover her to death but I think Martina, Melanie and her manager could have been a little smarter in her return and YES why didn't she gain upper body strength? DAMN YOU MARTINA!

:fiery:

RAA
Aug 29th, 2002, 04:13 PM
I said this earlier, I think that Martina is a player who gets in shape and improves her fitness by PLAYING. not by hitting the gym or spending 8 hours on the practice court.

as another poster pointed out in another thread, she has, I think, QF points to defend here, right? so, say she gets passed serra zanetti, then she has either Smashnova or coetzer, two players that she could certainly beat, neither being a power player. voila, she's in the round of 16. she could play seles there against whom she has a great overall record. okay, say she pulls it out against seles, she's in the QFs, probably against venus and she has defended her points and her rankings slide stops. If she loses to Seles, she loses some points, but not all.

Hingis may be a lot of things,but stupid is not one of them. She needs a high ranking to stay away from the top 5 early in tournaments. If she starts running into them early in tournaments, she's gonna be in big trouble.
hence, she comes back to play the open. Gets good match practice which gets her in better shape than what she would do at home. Gets some of her ranking points saved, and is good to go for the late fall season when, traditionally, Venus and Serena have not played so much. she continues to pick up points and is in a much better position come the Australian open in 2003.

one could say its a brilliant approach, actually..

express
Aug 29th, 2002, 04:17 PM
i think she needs to get match-fit and the only way to do that is by playing matches. i'm not so sure about singles AND doubles but i'm glad she's doing the right thing by playing. as long as eh is uninjured, playing is exactly what she needs to do.

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Aug 29th, 2002, 04:42 PM
how can you compare this to RG final 99?

marti is no dummy.. she is the only one who can feel how her body is. if she felt that she's ready to play again - then i support that decision. who are you judge her?

and are you sure that you're a true fan? DAMN YOU MARTINA! :fiery:

Legends
Aug 29th, 2002, 04:53 PM
what's the fuss all about
last time i checked Marti was still alive in USOPEN 2002

'wait for me to die before you bury me' please

now she'll probably go and confound all the 'so called' experts by winning the damn thing

Steffica Greles
Aug 29th, 2002, 05:12 PM
RAA: First of all it's SF points she has to defend....

I see what you mean to a very small degree; Hingis is a tennis player, not an athlete who hits a tennis ball - if you see what I mean? Hingis needs her ball control, not her fitness. Ironically, during the period when she was least fit - 1997&1998 - she was no.1 in the world and still winning majors.

But it is there that my agreement ends. In fact, I don't agree with you at all. I just see where you're coming from.

I think the very fact that Hingis is thinking about points and settling for semi-finals demonstrates the tatters that her career is now in. Steffi Graf would never have come back until she was completely ready. Seles still doesn't return from her intermmitent injuries until she is confident that her tennis is near where it should be. Recently, Davenport - another great player - decided to delay her comeback until her game and her movement had come together.

A Hingis serious about winning majors would not have come back even this year, in my opinion. Moreover, it is highly likely that she will suffer a recurrence of the foot injury within the next 6-9 months, as she hasn't given her body adequate restage.

Like Anna Kournikova, Martina is in denial. Martina may have elevated herself to a far higher mantle in the game's history than Anna, but she is still in the same position - her career is going nowhere from its current position. And yes, like Kournikova, her career is in serious danger - she is slipping back.

When Hingis stops denying there is a problem - as she has done in interviews for the past three years - she may have a chance of challenging the top players in majors once again. Until she does just that, I envisage nothing more than a continuous descent into the abyss of the has-beens.

It's not nice - ask Aranxta.

Larrybid
Aug 29th, 2002, 08:06 PM
Hingis didn't have to come back early to avoid a top 5 player in early rounds. Davenport benefited from a protected ranking which spared her that fate, Hingis would have benefited from same.

The choice was this: come back early becasue you'd rather avoid playing the top girls as long a possible and hopefully get some cheap points OR do the hard work in the gym necessary to be fit, strong and ready to challenge the top players when you return. Hingis made the lazy choice.

Zamboni
Aug 29th, 2002, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by RAA
Hingis may be a lot of things,but stupid is not one of them.

I love this one, and it's very true.

I would have preferred marti to come back later, but I suppose she knows what she's doing.

BrianII
Aug 29th, 2002, 09:25 PM
Why is there all this rush to judgement for martina ... this is her third tournament back and she is still in it so why not wait and see what happens ....maybe she wants to take a gradually approach to strength training ...play a little tennis (assess where she stands) take a some of weeks off and train targeting the specific areas ...comeback play some more tennis and repeat the procedure etc.....as long as coming back early doesn't cause her to be reinjured, if she's healthy why not play...I'm sure that when jennifer struggled to a 3 set first round victory over nagyova ,coming off a loss to Anna in an ealier tourn, at AO 2001 nobody actually thought she'd win the tournament....strange things do happen

supremeross
Aug 29th, 2002, 09:35 PM
While I am not a big fan of Martina, I would agree that she is no fool and knows what she's doing. Martina needed to come back to play the US Open because she has 376 points to defend. And I think she's looking ahead not to just the end of the year but also ahead to the next Australian Open. If she had decided not to play at the US Open she would have lost those 376 points and found herself in all likelihood out of the top 10 (2370 pt.) plus Daniela H. is right on the cusp of breaking into the top 10 and has virtually no points to defend from last years US OPEN. Imagine that Hingis out of the top 10 for the first time since what? 1996? 1995? Unheard of. Plus she wants to get back into the top 8 so that she doesn't have to meet the top players until the quarters at the Grand Slams, plus at the other tournaments she's no longer getting the first round byes. Hingis has some catching up to do and a lot of points to defend at the beginning of next year. I think she can make up some ground this fall, but I also think that Venus and Serena are committed to playing at least some tournaments this fall as well as Davenport, not to mention all the other players who are capable of beating Hingis right now. It's not like it was 2, 3 or 4 years ago where a finals appearance or championship were just expected from her, but now it's really turned into a struggle.

Williams Rulez
Aug 30th, 2002, 01:46 PM
Steffica Greles, you make rather harsh points, but I must agree with some of them... I think Martina still has that mental block, she needs to fix it, change her game plan, she is not going to beat power players consistently until she does something about it.

irma
Aug 30th, 2002, 01:53 PM
"Steffi Graf would never have come back until she was completely ready"

sorry for going of subject but I seem to remember something different :rolleyes: (and I know it was the docter who said she was ready while she wasn't), this is about feb97-mai 97 btw

irma
Aug 30th, 2002, 01:54 PM
when docters say is alright(and I guess that's the case with martina too) then people often listen!

Sam L
Aug 30th, 2002, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Legends
'wait for me to die before you bury me' please

That's the one thing you don't want. Trust me, I've had nightmares about it.