PDA

View Full Version : Is Monica a Serb or Hungarian?

PamShriver
Aug 29th, 2002, 01:59 PM
Not to spark controversy or anything I was just curious as to whether Seles was Serbian or Hungarian? Monica has always been hesitant to discuss her background and where she grew up (especially since the conflicts in the early '90's) but I was just wondering what the deal was. Were both of her parents from Hungary and moved to Serbia? Or was only her father? Just curious.

vlado
Aug 29th, 2002, 02:29 PM
She is Hungarian, born and raised in Yugoslavia/Serbia, and I think one of her parents was from Hungary and the other from Serbia, I'm not sure which one was from where, but both her parents were in any case ethnic Hungarians...

MartinaI
Aug 29th, 2002, 04:07 PM
Monica grew up in Novi Sad, which is in the Serbian part of Yugoslavia.

Justin
Aug 29th, 2002, 04:24 PM
Monica is a Serb but is ethnically Hungarian. She lived in Novi Sad but went to school in Hungary.

PamShriver
Aug 29th, 2002, 04:33 PM
Is Novi Sad that close to Hungary? How did she manage to go to school in a different country? It would seem that during the time she was growing up (Iron Curtain) it would've been difficult to just hop over the border for school.

wave
Aug 29th, 2002, 04:44 PM
Why is that so important? She left Yougoslavia before the war started. Even before she travelled through the world. She was (is?) not a political person as far as I know of. She never tried to interfere with politics, she never wanted to influence other peoples votes. (Just the opposite to a well known younger Jougoslavian player...)

So get over it.

PamShriver
Aug 29th, 2002, 04:47 PM
Calm down wave, as I said at the beginning of the thread I was just curious as to her ethnicity and background. She has never discussed it much publicly and I was just curious. My question had nothing to do with politics. I was just curious about her background. Sheeesh! Ultimately, Seles is an American so politics or nationalism have nothing to do with my question.

gmt
Aug 29th, 2002, 04:53 PM
Novi Sad is the capital city of a region called Voivodina. This region is part of Serbia. It used to enjoy some degree of autonomy, the main reason being that it was (and still is, to some degree) the most ethnically diverse part of former Yugoslavia. Among others, there were many ethnic Croats and Hungarians in Voivodina. Quite a few left Serbia during Milosevic's rule. In particular, many Voivodinian Hungarians settled in Budapest and other cities in Hungary during that period.

If you watched closely the flags waved during the days that ended Milosevic's rule, you might have noticed a blue-yellow-green one. This belongs to a small autonomist Voivodinian group. But, of course, not all Voivodinians (not even all non-Serbs) want autonomy or independence for their province, maybe not even a majority. I suppose that their main wish was to be free to live all together in peace, and hopefully it is the case nowadays (I couldn't tell).

wave
Aug 29th, 2002, 05:14 PM
Hi Pam!

I'm not angry at you at all. I surf along the board because there are no matches played right now (I hate rain) and I'm wondering about many of the threads like:

- Would we have this thread if we had matches going on?
- What has politics to do with tennis and with this board?

Please understand, I don't think that what Jelena and/or her father did was a good thing, but that should not lead to investigate all political/ethnic backgrounds. We have a enough threads on racial problems, we don't need them on ethnical problems...

irma
Aug 29th, 2002, 05:17 PM
the media always tried to get her into the conflict but she always said it wasn't my war so I think she saw herself as Hungarian!

mishar
Aug 29th, 2002, 05:42 PM
Although she said during the American intervention in the Balkan conflict that it was painful to her to see Serbia bombed.. but she has always (wisely) refused to comment on all political matters.

Rollo
Aug 29th, 2002, 06:24 PM
GMT's explanation was spot on:)

The only thing I would add is this:Hungary used to be 3 times larger than it's present size.

The Seles family used to (and still does?) speak to each other primarily in Hungarian. Monica's brother has a typical Hungarian name:Zoltan. Cool sounding name:cool:

Dado
Aug 29th, 2002, 09:18 PM
Karolj was an Hungarian. Ester is a katolic yugoslav. Monica was in a hungarian school. But I know she loves Yugoslavia more then Hungary. But we love her too!!!!!

mboyle
Aug 29th, 2002, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by wave
Why is that so important? She left Yougoslavia before the war started. Even before she travelled through the world. She was (is?) not a political person as far as I know of. She never tried to interfere with politics, she never wanted to influence other peoples votes. (Just the opposite to a well known younger Jougoslavian player...)

So get over it.

Monica moved to the US because she was offered a scholarship to the Boletteri Academy.