PDA

View Full Version : Why so little credit for Elena B??

auntie janie
Aug 29th, 2002, 12:03 PM
Hey, I saw a lot of that match and Elena was playing at a very high level. Her strong play was what really troubled Dokic, and knocked the fight out of her mentally-stretched opponent. Yet the media focusses on Jelena's bad play and unknown offcourt problems, and not Elena's great play.

Don't believe this is unfair? Then substitute the name "Anna K" for Elena B. and think what the media would be saying right now. There would be a deafening uproar about Anna's excellent play, huge, important win, and great chances to win the title -- and very little if anything noted about Jelena's lack of fight.

But the great thing is, facts remain the same, however they are reported. Elena Bovina is now coming into her own, just as Daniela Hantuchova has been doing this year. She has a great game and she is learning not to crumble when the end is in sight against the top guns. Pretty soon she will get her due.

Just not quite yet. :(

BritneySpearsIsHot
Aug 29th, 2002, 12:08 PM
There is credit, i gave her some so on another thread, there is so many.

Elena played well, Jelena may have turned up but her head was elsewhere, it was a bit of both Elena playing well, Jelena not, simple. A number 4 in the world shouldn't have rolled over so easily

auntie janie
Aug 29th, 2002, 12:39 PM
I agree that Jelena did give up, but like Hingis vs Myskina last week, it was not until the middle of the final set that she stopped trying. I agree that she is a better player than that and should have fought to the bitter end, like Nicolas Kiefer.

Nonetheless it was Elena's strong tennis -- keeping Jelena on her heels, never backing down -- that frustrated Jelena, who I admit is mentally fragile right now.

Now Elena needs to keep going, not celebrate this one victory; if she does, then the credit will finally come.

BritneySpearsIsHot
Aug 29th, 2002, 12:43 PM
She looks a potential star, hope she goes far in this tournament, she deserves it after this win

auntie janie
Aug 29th, 2002, 12:55 PM
:kiss:

King Aaron
Aug 29th, 2002, 12:58 PM
yeah, and she has been pushing Lindsay in her matches against her. all the Credit to Elena!!

Greenout
Aug 29th, 2002, 01:00 PM
I always felt Bovina was playing under her level.
She's is lumped in my mind with Dementieva, Myskina,
Bedanova,Iroda and Lina.
They're all very talented and should be right
in the top 16.

I only watched bit Jelena vs Elena, so I can't
comment on Bovina's improvement. The last time I
saw Bovina- she was spraying the balls everywhere
and playing waaay to quickly. I suppose it was the
other way around yesterday. Good For Elena.

P.S Take of the flapped cap.

Jakeev
Aug 29th, 2002, 01:01 PM
Gosh I am probably gonna get slammed but I totally disagree about how "well" Bovina was competing.

For a tall girl I did not feel her game was that impressive. She might have the game but she seemed to lumber around the court. I did not find her shots that penatrative at all.

But they did not have to be either.

Dokic definitely had a bad day and more than likely should have handled the taller Russian.

Greenout
Aug 29th, 2002, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the insights Jakeev. The Bovina
on court movement reminds me of a combo of
the best and worst of Venus and Lindsay.

Was she playing really fast? No time even for
breathing between service games? lol.

Slow down kid.

*I swear Bovina is around 6 Feet 3 inches tall.
She is taller than Venus and Davenport.

ptkten
Aug 29th, 2002, 01:10 PM
What does Anna have to do with this? Anna is NOT given credit for her good tournaments or her wins, only her losses are remembered by the press

Anyway, I agree that Elena should be given credit for her win, I was very impressed how she stayed calm throughout the whole match and out hit Dokic.

Beat
Aug 29th, 2002, 01:14 PM
bovina gets a lot of credit FROM ME, that's for sure ;) !!

Ryan
Aug 29th, 2002, 01:58 PM
I did not find her shots that penatrative at all.

Were we watching the same match? Maybe Jelena didn't "try" as much as other players, but Bovina was smacking balls down the line, forcing Jelena into errors. And some of those winners she hit any other top 10 player would have had trouble getting to.(cpet venus or serena:p). Elena played a great match, but Jelena played awful.

bubble
Aug 29th, 2002, 02:03 PM
The USO website made Bovina the player of the day. :)

Monica_Rules
Aug 29th, 2002, 02:04 PM
I agree with Ryan Elena was wacking those backhand and forehadn down the lines so hard.

I think what you are refering to is in long baseline rallies Elenas forehand tended to loop higher and higher over the net but this was when Dokic was on the attack.

Elena serve is a good weapon i hope she keeps building on it.She was also amazing at the net today i never knew a russian teeanger was so good at the net.

auntie janie
Aug 29th, 2002, 02:41 PM
Green
no, I did not think Elena was rushing today.

Bubble,
thanks for telling us about that Player of the Day thing!! Now two of my young faves, Bartoli and Bovina, have won that honor!

ptkten,
are you forgetting that Anna was named by more than one journo as a darkhorse for the US Open title after reaching match point against a clearly exhausted Dokic, and beating the likes of Conchita and Alexandra? Please. Yes, when Anna loses badly, she gets bad publicity. But when she wins, the wins are overblown in the media too. If she had advanced to beat Dokic the press would have gone berserk.

the cat
Aug 29th, 2002, 02:47 PM
Well said LJ (Lady Jane)! It was Bovina's play that cause Dokic's dismay! :eek:

vlado
Aug 29th, 2002, 02:55 PM
Honestly, Bovina served very well, and was constantly on the attack, she didn't gave Jelena much of a chance to play her baseline rallies. So she definitely won it more than Jelena lost it. At the same time, though, Jelena wasn't playing her best, she made some very silly mistakes at a number of crucial points in the match and couldn't find any rhythm in her game which she is so depending on. But as I said that was at least to a part because Bovina was the one attacking most of the time, and successfully too. And she did herself give Bovina full credit for her win :)

TheBoiledEgg
Aug 29th, 2002, 02:59 PM
Elena's great play made it look like Jelena played bad
she was outhit and totally outplayed

Jelena did do some stupid shots at times but that was the pressure Elena B was putting on her.

Freefall
Aug 29th, 2002, 03:06 PM
I like Elena B. very much & I agree that she's doing what Daniela is. Getting better all the time & growing into her true potential. Elena B. is just not as close to the top 10 as Daniela ATM. But I'm sure she'll get there :)

express
Aug 29th, 2002, 03:09 PM
i agree that Elena played well but Dokic was so clearly tanking that match that it is hard to give Elena full credit.