PDA

View Full Version : Bovina, Zvonareva, Safina and Kuznetsova have made this a good U.S. Open for me!

the cat
Aug 28th, 2002, 11:50 PM
And it would have been perfect if Kournikova and Dementieva had lived up to their end of the bargain! But they dropped the ball as usual! :mad: But the Russian teens Bovina, Zvonareva, Safina and Kuznetsova have saved the day for me at this years U.S. Open. They have a fire and determination that Kournikova and Dementieva are lacking. And Myskina is showing some guts, too, with 2 come from behind wins! :D

And Marat Safin's classic first round fifth set tie break win over Nicolas Kiefer is indeed a match to remember! :)

Udachi Russian tennis players! :bounce:

auntie janie
Aug 29th, 2002, 12:24 PM
I know! It's been great fun, hasn't it, especially after the other Slams were disappointing for the Russian players' fans. And there is a good chance that there is more to come. :)

the cat
Aug 29th, 2002, 12:30 PM
A good chance that there is more to come. What do you mean, Janie? At this years U.S. Open? Or in the future? :confused:

auntie janie
Aug 29th, 2002, 02:59 PM
More winning rounds this week and hopefully next week too. :)

I feel like the younger Russians are inspiring each other to greater heights. But for Anna and Elena D., the teenagers' success only brings more pressure -- how many Russians will soon pass them by? Anastasia is the same age as Anna and Elena, but she is not on a downward spiral like those two, so I think she is inspired rather than burdened by the wins of the youngsters.

the cat
Aug 29th, 2002, 03:11 PM
Janie, Myskina is very fragile physically and mentally! :eek: She has the best game of the over 20 Russian girls. But she's lacking something. And she is a delight to watch play! :D And those Olive Oyl arms of hers are actually getting a little muscle! :eek:

fresh2flash
Aug 29th, 2002, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by the cat
A good chance that there is more to come. What do you mean, Janie? At this years U.S. Open? Or in the future? :confused:

Cat, it`s like a tide where every other wave goes a little bit further than the previous. The first were Panova and Likhovtzeva. They didn`t achieve much, but they made the road easier for those who followed them - Kournikova, Dementieva, Myskina. These girls are already stars and they made the road wider for the next generation of girls who promisingly will be superstars. If you follow me :)

the cat
Aug 29th, 2002, 06:44 PM
Good point Freshy! :) But please don't overrate the next generation of Russian girls the way some people do! :eek: I think they are a fine group of prospects. But let's not go overboard.