PDA

View Full Version : Why can't Tommy wear sleeveless??

JCFan
Aug 28th, 2002, 08:20 PM
I don't get why they didn't allow this. That's something I can understand Wimbledon doing, but at the US Open? Is this an actual rule in men's tennis? They can wear t-shirts, why not sleeveless? This is funny listening to Jim and Ted talking about fashion. LOL

evaz
Aug 28th, 2002, 08:35 PM
I agree. Just have a look at what some players on the WTA tour are wearing and there are no regulations.

eshell
Aug 28th, 2002, 08:51 PM
I'm not surprised. The men weren't allowed to wear shirts without collars until recently (within the last 2 years or so).

No big deal for me...I rather the attention be on the tennis. :)

angele87
Aug 28th, 2002, 09:29 PM
What happened with Tommy's shirt?

ChrisGermany
Aug 28th, 2002, 09:36 PM
He wore a kind of basketball shirt without "shoulders"

Mike Morrissey came on court before the first point and told him to change

He won in five sets, 7-5 in the fifth, by the way ;)

rhz
Aug 28th, 2002, 10:11 PM
i want to see!!

graf630
Aug 28th, 2002, 10:35 PM
Maybe they were afraid the women would be drooling all over the court after seeing that picture today!:eek:

I know I would have!!:drool: :drool: :drool::lick:

Ryan
Aug 28th, 2002, 10:53 PM
It's such a stupid rule, especially considering what Serena's wearing. It has no sleeves, and is missing most of its shorts.:eek:

brunof
Aug 28th, 2002, 10:56 PM
The ATP Tour needs some sex appeal. I am sure that JMG could draw a crowd with a sleevless shirt, and white socks...

-Sonic-
Aug 28th, 2002, 11:02 PM
i think shirtless shirts would be cool.

Eza
Aug 28th, 2002, 11:06 PM
.. because you can see his armpits:rolleyes: ;)

darren cahill
Aug 28th, 2002, 11:26 PM
I'd like to see Tommy wearing what Serena wears now. his ass would look so yummy! :drool: :drool: :drool: :p

Hingiswinsthis
Aug 29th, 2002, 01:09 AM
Tommy was wearing a muscle shirt. At first i didn't notice anything unitl Jim courier sais something about the sleeves. I can tell he's sour about this because he never had a chance to wear some!

MinskLynx
Aug 29th, 2002, 01:40 AM
Imagine a normal T-shirt. When you look at the shoulder, you can see a hemline where the sleeve is and body of shirt are seperate. Remove that sleeve. :rolleyes:

Hulet
Aug 29th, 2002, 01:56 AM
Tommy might get around this rule by copying what the cameroon team did when FIFA banned them from wearing a sleeveless jersey for the world cup: just add to the sleveless shirt a completely see-through sleeve - it satisfies the rule but, for all practical purposes, looks and feels like a sleeveless shirt.;)

Mark43
Aug 29th, 2002, 02:31 AM
where is the pic of this shirt? Tommy is so yummy!

Cassius
Aug 29th, 2002, 02:42 AM
The men have to have sleeves for the same reason the Cameroon football team had to in the World Cup I think.
FIFA, wouldn't let Cameroon go sleeveless, because FIFA wanted to put their logo on the shirt sleeve.
Do the ATP put their logo on the sleeves or on the chest?
The WTA however, let the women go sleeveless, because they put the WTA logo on the players brests, because that is where alot of attention gets drawn to.
Maybe, the ATP think that the watching women like to look at the mens bulging biceps, so they insist on having their logo on the arm?

harloo
Aug 29th, 2002, 02:48 AM
Originally posted by darren cahill
I'd like to see Tommy wearing what Serena wears now. his ass would look so yummy! :drool: :drool: :drool: :p

:eek: :eek: Dude you into cross dressers or something? Ewwwwww!!!!! What a horrible thought!!!!!!!!

monster
Aug 29th, 2002, 04:54 AM
Such a bad rule. Tommy always 'tucks' the sleeve up anyway. Playing in a 'tank top' or singlet is so much more comfortable than a sleeved shirt. Be great if anyone could post the 'naughty' top

franny
Aug 29th, 2002, 04:59 AM
i'd like to see them wear nothing, mmmmmmmm, marat...........did anyone see his briefs in his match the other day, yum

JCFan
Aug 29th, 2002, 05:25 AM
From this Yahoo article. http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20020829/ap_on_sp_te_ga_su/ten_us_open_36

It wasn't nearly as provocative as the zip-down, stop-at-the-thighs black Lycra outfit Williams is wearing. Or, for that matter, Anna Kournikova's midriff-revealing getup. Nonetheless, it caught the attention of chair umpire Norm Chryst. He alerted tournament referee Brian Earley, who turned on the TV, looked at Haas, and ruled the shirt had to go.

Earley cited Article III, Section C of the Grand Slam rulebook: "Every player shall dress and present himself for play in a professional manner. Clean and customarily acceptable tennis attire shall be worn as determined by each respective Grand Slam."

"I was given the job of making a determination on the spot. I decided it wasn't 'customarily acceptable,' " Earley said. "It's a gut reaction."

Haas — who said sleeves annoy him — had polo shirts with him and wore those for the 3-hour, 23-minute match.

"On the women's tour, you see Serena and all those other ladies wearing tight stuff," Haas said. "It's something new, brings something else to the game."

Right now, men's tennis could use a bit of that if it's going to compete with a women's game that has more intriguing story lines and more-marketed personalities. The WTA Tour isn't shy about letting sex appeal help sell its product.

Or, as Earley put it: "Women's attire has gone all over the place."

"There's no question we've been hearing a lot of not-so-flattering things about the men's game, compared to the ladies'. Maybe it's an effort to do some different things," Sampras said. "That's not the way to do it, in my opinion."

Told what happened to Haas, Williams said: "You're kidding!"

Earley noted Williams' outfit was approved for the Open a month ago. Early wouldn't say whether Haas' shirt might have passed muster had it been submitted ahead of time — nor whether Haas will be allowed to wear it for his second-round match.

----------
I like that Tommy was trying to shake things up a bit. I hope he tries to wear it again sometime. Sampras, figures, didn't like it. Not everyone could pull that kind of shirt off though. I don't think Pete could, or someone with skinny little arms like Guga. But it'd be fun to see something different on the guys.

Mitzi
Aug 29th, 2002, 09:44 AM
If the men wore sleevless shirts like the one Tommy Haas wanted to wear- I'm sure that men's tennis would be more popular...

-Sonic-
Aug 29th, 2002, 09:47 AM
"Maybe it's an effort to do some different things," Sampras said. "That's not the way to do it, in my opinion."

sampras is such a loser.

guess turning into a complete piece of cardboard with a bald patch is the way huh, 'pistol'? eeek, mind the drooling masses.

irma
Aug 29th, 2002, 09:54 AM
it's simple men can have fun and we women don't :mad:

Beat
Aug 29th, 2002, 10:11 AM
sampras, what a bore you are... :rolleyes:

Williams Rulez
Aug 29th, 2002, 11:14 AM
Sampras... tsk tsk...

Benny
Aug 29th, 2002, 11:46 AM
it's simple men can have fun and we women don't

Men are the one's being exploited here. They have to wear a strict dress code and women don't.:rolleyes:

irma
Aug 29th, 2002, 11:48 AM
I am not talking about the players, I am talking about the fans :p

griffin
Aug 29th, 2002, 01:36 PM
What I want to know is, what goober called on the Great Big Heads to make a decision on this in the first place?

"Help, help! Unusual clothing item on court 1! Must discuss!"

minboy
Aug 29th, 2002, 01:40 PM
Tommy Haas is such an a**hole. IT seems like the only reason he plays tennis is to show his muscles. He always wear shirt that are one size too short for him.

CC
Aug 29th, 2002, 01:47 PM
Well I can't stand to see those big old frumpy shirts on Rusedski. Tommy and Andy wear their shirts a little shorter and closer, and I like 'em.

matthias
Aug 29th, 2002, 01:51 PM
ATP is so boring :rolleyes:

martinafan
Aug 29th, 2002, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by griffin
What I want to know is, what goober called on the Great Big Heads to make a decision on this in the first place?

"Help, help! Unusual clothing item on court 1! Must discuss!"

It's actually the umpires duty or requirement to check the players dress at the coin-toss, and if there is something that the player is wearing that they are not allowed to (like they have one more logo than is allowed, or if a logo is too large - yes, there are strict rules about the size and type of logos), then they have to make the player change into something appropriate.

And if you think that it is stupid and the umpire should let some things go, well in nearly all matches of this level, there are evaluators in the crowd evaluating the way the umpire and all linesman perform. Based on that evaluation, the linesman and umpires receive a grading, and certain tournaments require officials of certain gradings. Hence, to work at the best tournaments, you need a high grading, and if the umpire let Haas play with that shirt without atleast calling the referee, then he would have been in serious trouble and been given a VERY bad evaluation.

I know all this because I am a linesman with Tennis Umpires Australia, and i just did a course about umpiring, which went over this, and it was very detailed and strict about players clothes.

eshell
Aug 29th, 2002, 02:40 PM
And we must think sociologically...

Many more men would like to see women athletes objectified. The converse has not been true. AND if it is true, the women haven't had the power to objectify the men.

As more umpires, referrees, tournament directors, and sponsors have female leadership, the men's clothing will become sexier. Heck, this story may cause the ATP and other tournaments to rethink dress codes for the men and allow more 'skin'.

Aloysius
Aug 29th, 2002, 02:47 PM
Typical Pete. :rolleyes: Bitch! :p

mboyle
Aug 29th, 2002, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Sonic The Hedgehog
i think shirtless shirts would be cool.

That also could be allowed. If the men feel like playing shirtless will allow them to play better, or if playing in a tank top will allow them to play better, than let them do that to play better. Who really cares what they wear?

sorelbow
Aug 29th, 2002, 03:10 PM
of dress codes, i say: if the players dare wear them, let them. us fans can watch them!

matthias
Aug 29th, 2002, 04:10 PM
here is a photo

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/dpa/20020829/06/3268709967.jpg
i think this outfit is okay
and german Yahoo wrote he will try to get the permission to wear it next time.

Serena can wear a bathing suit, and tommy can´t wear sleeveless? :confused:

JCFan
Aug 29th, 2002, 04:34 PM
GREAT picture, thanks for that matthias. I hope he can wear it next match or next tournament.

magassi
Aug 29th, 2002, 07:40 PM
Figures boring, conservative, Rush Limbaugh-loving Pete would say something like that. He alone ushered in the worst era of men's tennis fashion: hoplessly long shorts, coupled with a baggy, short T-shirt. Hopefully, we won't be seeing Pete's clothes for too long.

Richie77
Aug 30th, 2002, 03:29 AM
What exactly is wrong with that shirt?
First, it looks good on him. Second, it looks better than what a lot of the other men are wearing. Third, it doesn't look unprofessional at all.

If anything, more of the men should be encouraged to wear those shirts...Safin, Gambill, Moya...the list goes on. :)

tennis4life
Aug 30th, 2002, 03:54 AM
"If anything, more of the men should be encouraged to wear those shirts...Safin, Gambill, Moya...the list goes on. "

I agree whole heartedly!!!!

t4l

go hingis
Aug 30th, 2002, 06:20 AM
I like what I see!

Maybe there worried some of the more unflattering players will wear them(joking)