PDA

View Full Version : Question about the needless serena threads in GM?

sammy01
Jan 18th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Ok this isn't anything against serena or her fans but she has a forum, so threads about serenas dogs, her adverts, serena jabs friend, her eating habits ect shouldn't these be in her player forum. it seriously cloggs up GM and stops any threads that might actualy have a tennis link to them, bar them having serena in them, get pushed down.

its starting to annoy me that many threads get moved about other players, yet we have threads about serena eating a hotdog in GM. im all for serena fans having chats and showing each other serena vids and stuff, but surely her forum is the place for this?

sammy01
Jan 18th, 2009, 08:08 PM
seems no mods have been arsed to reply to my question! :sad:

Avid Merrion
Jan 18th, 2009, 08:32 PM
you expect a reply in less than half an hour? :haha:

i believe the procedure is to report the thread or threads in question, not start yet another thread to complain about it :)

~CANUCK~
Jan 18th, 2009, 08:47 PM
I thought all those threads were moved already, and like Avid said, if you don't report them we won't find them. The mods don't sit in GM reloading the forum over and over waiting for something to do.

~CANUCK~
Jan 18th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Looking into it more. The threads you are talking about have been moved already by one of the mods. All that remains in GM are the re-directs to where the thread has been moved to. This was taken care of yesterday at some point.

Yasmine
Jan 18th, 2009, 08:56 PM
We are not here 24/7 and providing the so interesting threads in GM, noone can expect us to read every single one of them.

So indeed it is your responsibility to report them when you feel they're out of place. However it's not because you report a thread that the action you want taken will be.

In this case I moved a whole bunch of threads earlier today. There are still links in GM, but those should be temporary.

BARBIE
Jan 18th, 2009, 09:48 PM
you expect a reply in less than half an hour? :haha:

Uhm, I think there's a gap of more than 12 hrs between the thread-starter's first and second posts :) :unsure:

Avid Merrion
Jan 18th, 2009, 10:59 PM
:lol: oh well, what i said after that still stands :p

Kart
Jan 18th, 2009, 11:39 PM
seems no mods have been arsed to reply to my question! :sad:
Sorry, I got sidetracked because I went to see if Serena takes relish with her hotdog or not.

sammy01
Jan 19th, 2009, 12:02 AM
well part of my question is why the moderators don't seem to rule GM with a fair hand. its not a certain thread, although yesterday was just stupid, its how constantly stupid serena threads stay in gm and others get moved? i actualy had a post of mine deleted by a mod in a serena arrives at an airport thread, so mods obviously know these player forumesque threads constantly pop up in GM.

also i've never reported a whole thread before (didn't know you could) and i think mods saying they don't spend all their time in GM, i mean thats a lazy excuse, you only need look at a title like is serena bigger than bee to know it dosen't belong in GM.

Golovinjured.
Jan 19th, 2009, 12:53 AM
My serenawilliamsforum.com thread awoke the snoozing mods.
But seriously, wasn't the last moderator selection to make sure that GM, for the most part, is policed almost all the time? THEY ARE NEVAR ONLINE WHEN I'M ON, EVAR!

~CANUCK~
Jan 19th, 2009, 01:29 AM
well part of my question is why the moderators don't seem to rule GM with a fair hand. its not a certain thread, although yesterday was just stupid, its how constantly stupid serena threads stay in gm and others get moved? i actualy had a post of mine deleted by a mod in a serena arrives at an airport thread, so mods obviously know these player forumesque threads constantly pop up in GM.

also i've never reported a whole thread before (didn't know you could) and i think mods saying they don't spend all their time in GM, i mean thats a lazy excuse, you only need look at a title like is serena bigger than bee to know it dosen't belong in GM.

When you report a post all the GM mods get an email, that's how I know I need to come and have a look at what is going on. Like I said we don't sit here all day, we have lives that we like to live, but if I'm online and something gets reported I get the email right away and come over to TF to see what is going on.

~CANUCK~
Jan 19th, 2009, 01:31 AM
But seriously, wasn't the last moderator selection to make sure that GM, for the most part, is policed almost all the time? THEY ARE NEVAR ONLINE WHEN I'M ON, EVAR!
Maybe some of the mods/admins have themselves set to invisible anyways. You wouldn't know if they were on or not anyhow. I just recently switched myself back to visible as I had forgot that I had even had myself set to invisible in the first place.

sammy01
Jan 19th, 2009, 02:13 AM
^surely all mods should be set to visable so people can know which mods are online at which times, that makes sense to me?

Aaron.
Jan 19th, 2009, 06:19 AM
Question about the needless whining and complaining?

Yasmine
Jan 19th, 2009, 06:27 AM
No we don't know those, it just means they are reported. And a mail arrives in our forum instantly to let us know.

You don't report a thread, you report a post (usually the first post), the effect is the same.
And no it's not always a question of just reading the title of a thread (in some cases it is but not in most).

Kart
Jan 20th, 2009, 01:44 AM
The last selection was to add manpower to forums in need of extra moderation.

We did try to take into account the time zones in which posters were accessing the site to try to increase the cover for GM but none of them are obligated to be on-line all the time.

The moderators give up their spare time to deal with forum issues - often at to the detriment of their enjoyment of this board. I certainly don't begrudge them putting time aside to just post and share their thoughts like the rest of the board does.

Which is quite different from snoozing.

Golovinjured.
Jan 20th, 2009, 03:14 AM
Are you sassing me, Kart?

:confused:

Ciarán
Jan 20th, 2009, 10:50 AM
It is kind of a joke. I'm not blaming the mods, but to the fans who actually think people care :weirdo:

Kart
Jan 20th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Are you sassing me, Kart?

:confused:
Possibly.

Though I quoted you, what I wrote was more for general consumption rather than aimed at you specifically.

chuvack
Jan 23rd, 2009, 01:08 PM
I think that there is one standard for the Williams posters in Gen Messages, and another standard for everybody else. The website management probably believes that since the Williams bring a lot of posters to the board (debatable) that they can be allowed to post a lot of threads in GM that are only of interest to their fanbase, and allowing GM to function as essentially the Williams fan forum. And the Venus threads are actually worse than the Serena ones in my view, if you show Venus or the Venus fans in a negative light in the GM the mods will often take down the thread.

Kart
Jan 23rd, 2009, 01:40 PM
I think that there is one standard for the Williams posters in Gen Messages, and another standard for everybody else.
Do you have any evidence to back up this claim ?

Perhaps you could send it to me via private message to avoid derailing this thread.