PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me who likes Jen, Venus and Serena?

mn73
Aug 28th, 2002, 04:00 PM
This board is SO FULL OF HATE when any of those three names are mentioned, it makes me so sad and spoils my enjoyment of this board.

But I guess that is the way the people here like it - when Jen, Venus and Serena were saying nice things about each other throughout Wimbledon hardly anyone commented!

I like all three - and long may they all rule the Top 3!!!

:)

MLF
Aug 28th, 2002, 04:20 PM
No, you are not the only one. I like all three. I am a big fan of both Jen and Venus. Serena to a lesser extent but I like to see her win too though I would always support Jen or Venus if they were facing off against Serena. The people who trade in hatred on the board here need to get a grip on reality really. All three of these players entertain true tennis fans in their match ups. It's quite pathetic for people to dismiss and say nasty things about people they know absolutely nothing about in reality.

RAA
Aug 28th, 2002, 04:23 PM
I like all three too. Venus and Serena are my faves, but I do like jen cap. I don't really love her recent attitude on the court, but i do root for her in general, unless she is playing vs serena or venus of course. ;-)

nash
Aug 28th, 2002, 05:36 PM
Ditto, RAA

:)

Mark43
Aug 28th, 2002, 05:45 PM
JenCap is my absolute fav (since 1990) and I have always enjoyed Venus and Serena's matches as well. When Jen plays either one there are sure to be fireworks, but I am not sure why this board is so CRAZY nasty. It freaks me out a bit and I tend to not read those threads beyond a post or two.

vw43
Aug 28th, 2002, 08:00 PM
I like all three of them as well. Jen is my fave, then Serena followed by Venus. I enjoy watching all of them play. I can only name 2 or 3 that I don't enjoy watching. If you really enjoy tennis then I don't see how you could not enjoy these 3 players.

:wavey:

darren cahill
Aug 28th, 2002, 08:03 PM
I like all 3 as well. Jen being my very fave and Venus and Serena follow closely.:D

A4
Aug 28th, 2002, 10:41 PM
Me too. Top three favorites, with Jen being number three now, though she used to be number one for most of the nineties!

"Topaz"
Aug 29th, 2002, 01:57 AM
Beyond Vee and Rena, I like several other players, essentially those trying hard to play good tennis while projecting a decorous attitude and personality, eg, Seles, Kim, Davey, Justine, ...

Early in 2001, I used to like Jen, I should add ecstaticly; that was from Aussie-01 on. But my appreciation for her kept erodng after catching her from time to time with an unpleasant gesture here, a bad word there and an undue burst of temper further along. She turned me off completely when at the US Open-01 semifinal against Venus, second set, she stopped playing for a long minute while staring at Venus who could do nothing but wait, ready to serve. This scene still hits me whenever I watch it on tape.

But I realized Jen is an athlete like any other and tennis is just a sport. So, why should I begrudge a player whom I've never met, who doesn't know about me and probably wouldn't care less about me? We need to view things in proper perspective. These days, the B. J. King and thong controversies set aside, I focus on her tennis and make a point to notice every positive thing about her, even the slightest smile. If I don't manage that, I'll be the big loser as she plays highly enjoyable tennis.

Hulet
Aug 29th, 2002, 02:02 AM
I like all three too. My faves are in order: Venus, Serena, Jennifer, Monica, Jelena & Mary p.

Raisin
Aug 29th, 2002, 08:53 AM
I like all three of them in this order: Vee, Rena and Jenn:D

mn73
Aug 29th, 2002, 08:55 AM
For all the swearing on court and the bad attitude there is a get well message for Corina Morariu, inviting a cancer-sufferer to her Australian Open matches etc. I think the good things Jen do show more about her than getting frustrated and swearing in a tennis match.

Aylafr
Aug 29th, 2002, 09:24 AM
Really ? So things haven't much changed I see .... Plus ça change, moins ça change !

Me, my first fave is Chanda Rubin. I haven't been much annoyed about her, usually, people respect her. Does it come from the attitude ? She has never had the same behaviour that the sisters used to have, but well ... as one said, it is just a sport. Anyhow, I like Venus and Serena that come respectivelly 2 and 3. I like Jenn too, and despite some attitude I dislike .... I respect the girl and her ability to coime back at the top after all that has happened. Kudos, Jenn !

And after that, I have started rooting for Angelique Widjaja, but I think it's gonna take some time before she makes too much noise ... although, ahaha, she creamed Anna Kournikova with a 6-3, 6-1 or so .... buit is it a perf to cream Anna .... * slap * ooops, sorry, that wasn't nice and I apologize ... :)

Mark, I remember you from the WTA Webboard, and it was tough already. Two years have passed, things haven't changed, and I guess they will never. C'est la vie ! :)

Aug 29th, 2002, 09:26 AM
I like all of them, Jennifer in particular. She was playing in the first tennis match I ever watched. I'm also a Kim fan

tennnisfannn
Aug 29th, 2002, 09:32 AM
Great thread mark. So often the impression is you cannot like all players. I love venus, serena, martina and jen.

Sam L
Aug 29th, 2002, 09:36 AM
Firstly, it's only FUN when they say nasty things about each other.

Second, I only REALLY like Venus.

Serena is exciting and fun to watch, but not exactly my favourite. She's also really funny. Jenn is a good player and such a great fighter and uses 'colourful' language and creates controversies. Which is good.

So I don't really hate either of them. But I was just annoyed at Jenn for the Australian Open 2002 final because I don't think the best player won, although of course it's not her fault.

Williams Rulez
Aug 29th, 2002, 11:07 AM
I love Venus and Serena, but I don't hate Jennifer or anything, I like her tennis and her fight.