PDA

View Full Version : My Qualies report- Day 1

HOS
Jan 15th, 2009, 04:02 AM
Ok, so I ran down at from work in the Mleb CBD lunch and watched an hour or so of action....
I was hanging to see Alexandra and Stephy Foretz But couldn’t wait any longer….
Lets talk fashion to start with….I love Lacoste and had great expectations of the Ball Kiddies and lines people……lets just say, no good. Really ugly plain orange tops,….still better than bogan crap from the last few years

Wondered around and saw Eleni D and Bovina….some great rallies, both showed glimpses of there Top 20 days…I don’t want to sound unpatriotic & I really agree with the WC’s for the Main Draw and Qualy Draw but the results overall from the Aussie girls haven’t been great this summer and today was no different, so I really hope Tennis Oz think about giving Eleni and/or Elena a doubles wc- not sure if they get along and would play with each other but they could give Elena a wildcard with like Dokic for example- she and Eleni have played a bit together in there day….I dunno, just a thought and would save another embarrassing and waste of a wc 60 61 loss to these juniors in the doubles MD (they prob loose like that in the juniors as well) and it be good to support these guys who still have big followings, have played well in Aust & who have had a bit of bad luck with injuries in the last few years.
Walked over to see Putchkova cracking it about 1 line call, um it was the 4 th game and she was up 3-1!  She doesn’t look as big as I thought.
Started to watch Car Gullickson (who I love- great to see her back) against cabeza- whjo I hadn’t seen before. Cabeza is light on her feet- plays a bit like anne Kremer- and whilst her shots are very Spanish they are not full on top spin- plays a bit between Marrero and Ms Foretz. She is a full on counterpuncher and seemed scared of the net. Frustrated as Car not playing great at this time so I moved on. (I sat next to Suarez Navarro- supporting her country woman) and near Shennay Perry- rooting for Car. (she was also watching Elena and Eleni) Man, Shennay has come a long way (with no Lead up tournaments) to miss out on qualifying draw buy maybe 5-10 players (I didn’t see any other qualy alts) It made me think, The WTA mustn’t tell players were they are on the alt list.???I came back to this match and saw a bit of the 2nd set, Car was playing much better, being aggressive, still hitting a few wild forehands but coming to the net- she is a great volleyer. Think she was also annoyed that she was doing all the attacking and Cabeza in her words was hitting ‘crap shots’. Cabeza was also taking a lot of time between points- it pissed Car right off and she looked at the umpire a few times and finally said something to her about it. At the next change of ends the umpire did speak to Cabeza, presumably about the time  Car looks a bit fitter form 2 years ago but without sounding nasty is still a bit heavier…probably the unfitest player I saw today.
Watched Georgie Stoop and Alexa Glatch…have read a lot about both players- both being ‘big hopes’ for their countries respectively. Stood behind Me South, her brother (taking snaps of Brit gril) and another player who ended up being Sarah Borwell. Katie O Brien sat opposite side of the court. Whilst they supported Georgie- they didn’t stop talking- South thinks she is pretty funny and was letting the f -bombs rip. Some older lady came up and said hi to Sarah (that made me click as to who it was) and this old banger just went on and on about the meal she had last week in blah land with her black ‘puddin’ blah blah-she also had bought Sarah some writs bands- pink and had them embroided for her…..they talked so much and so loudly that Georgie looed over at them when she was up match point and gutter mouth said “sarah” as in shut up. The new UK darling, Laura Robson- talk, statuesque, pretty girl also watched on. McHale watched for Glatch.
Okay, the match.
Both Stoop and Glatch are pretty impressive and have hard hitting games. Both are pretty tall. Glatch looks like Sophie Ferguson a bit, had the bad arse Michael Bolton 80’s hair, an Alicia Molik forehand , good slice and double hander but seems a bit passive or laxadazal…I dunno. You could have walked passed and thought she didn’t care- which I am sure she did. She should be able to get to the Top 100 for sure though- provided she wants too. No reason why Stoop can’t get into double figures too. NMot a bad mover and good serve. She saved 3 set points in the 2nd set- down 0-40 actually. Could have easily been a 1st or 2nd round main draw match,
Kind of watching the match was Yvonne Meusburger. Yvonne was hanging with Babsi Rittner. Thankfully ‘Vonny has grown her hair a bit. She left Ritnner on the adjourning court watching Woerle(solid- abbreviated whippy forehand though) and Zec Peskirik.(also a solid baseliner)They also stopped and watched Eleni and Elena on the way over.
Making a lot of noise on Court 13 was Jugic Salkic and Lisjak. A lot of Bosnians there- actually, a pretty good crowd period. Not sure if the Balkan players have issues but a lot of anger and emotion in the match, kind of directed at each other. Lisjak is a strong tall lady. She hits her serve really hard- and in the 2nd set when she was down set point she actually hit a 2nd serve harder than the first. The crowd were like- wow. Jugic S also had a powerful game. Not a lot of margin of error- pretty entertaining match.
Stoped for a few games to see Weinerova and Hrdinova. Eva, like Liskjak, sure is tall. Weinerova is pretty slight- great mover- another power player vs retriver. Eva making a few too many mistakes from what I saw.
Watched Lapushenkova and Klascka for a game- Rittner and Vonny watched a bit. Klaska almost plays’ a bit like my of my older fav’s Aniiko Kapros. Shorter, a little heavier and funny little pop serve.
Walked passed Hradecka and Ivanova. Klara Zakopalova and another Czche player (who I have seen before but can’t put a face-name together at the moment) also watching on. Klara has pretty bad regrowth btw! Lucie seemed a bit strong for the few points I saw.
Unfortunately, I had to go back to work and this was all I saw. As I walked out I saw Elena Baltacha walking to her court for her match- she looks pretty fit.
Also walking in the grounds as I was walking out was lucky in luf Aggy Szavay and her ‘man’ Holding hands and kissing as they walked. Very cute. Her ‘man’ fried had gone a bit heavy on the aftershave though!  Pong Su!
Really sad I missed Alex and Steph, also would have like to see another fav Olivia Sanchez and was keen to see JOzami, Dentoni Sevastova and Palkina as I haven’t watched them before. Lets hope they win (well Corina or Palkina will win) and I can escape from work for an hours or so tomorrow and watch some more action.
Hope everyone else who went today had a good time too.

CooCooCachoo
Jan 15th, 2009, 08:46 AM
:haha: Glatch does have crazy hair :cuckoo:

Expected that Carly wasn't playing her best with that scoreline against Cabeza Candela.

Thanks anyway :wavey:

Europe rocks
Jan 15th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Nice report, glad to hear Georgie seemed to be playing well :) Hope you had a great day

HOS
Jan 15th, 2009, 08:59 PM
i think it was Cetkovska with Klara

Wiggly
Jan 15th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Why Perry came to Australia for one tournament and didn't made the cup?
What a waste of money.

AAT
Jan 16th, 2009, 01:44 AM
great report!
i hope you will be able to see jozami/king/kostanic/so you could write in here your opinion about them

Tripp
Jan 16th, 2009, 01:45 AM
Let us know if you catch Palkina vs Jozami :p

PamShriver
Jan 16th, 2009, 01:59 AM
Mel the Gutter Mouth! Too Funny!

CrossCourt~Rally
Jan 16th, 2009, 02:07 AM
Why Perry came to Australia for one tournament and didn't made the cup?
What a waste of money.

Maybe she'll make the doubles tourney ???

Anyways, thanks for the write up! It was very entertaining :D:bounce:.