PDA

View Full Version : QD Wildcards announced

HOS
Jan 14th, 2009, 12:22 AM
Wildcards went to: Monique Adamczak (Sydney, NSW), Sophie Ferguson (Sydney NSW), Emelyn Starr (Tamworth, NSW), Marija Mirkovic (Hillside, Vic), Shannon Golds (Gold Coast, Qld), Sally Peers (Melbourne, Vic), Anna Wishink (Hobart, Tas) and Brittany Sheed (Kalgoorlie, WA).

(from Tennis Oz site)

Pretty good choices, no real surprises, maybe Calderwood and Bai were unlucky? I think they couldn have been the only other possibilities, not sure who they could have replaced from the list though

Daniel K
Jan 14th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Nah perfect choices I'd say. Nice to see Shannon given a go for once.

petey_pan
Jan 14th, 2009, 12:49 AM
exactly who i wanted :) Great to see Shannon in there

Just Do It
Jan 14th, 2009, 01:04 AM
Sophie could win a match, but other girls have slim chanches of winning a set.

Babolatpro880
Jan 14th, 2009, 01:25 AM
Terrific. Maybe they'll like, release the draw sometime?

Duckman
Jan 14th, 2009, 01:41 AM
I think it's getting released Wednesday night Melbourne time

iGOAT
Jan 14th, 2009, 03:02 AM
All Aussies :o too much maybe? idk :unsure:

anthonyqld
Jan 14th, 2009, 05:02 AM
Pretty good choices, no real surprises, maybe [COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Calderwood and Bai were unlucky? I think they couldn have been the only other possibilities, not sure who they could have replaced from the list though

Calderwood? She's done didly squat. She shouldn't have been given a Sydney Q WC.

Ben.
Jan 14th, 2009, 06:50 AM
Nah perfect choices I'd say. Nice to see Shannon given a go for once.

Couldn't agree more :D

OZTENNIS
Jan 14th, 2009, 06:56 AM
All Aussies :o too much maybe? idk :unsure:
Well what were you expecting Ruajdnfja Jajajddkuvovoahnnvokova from Kazhakstan to be awarded a qualifying wildcard when she is ranked 1094857th in the world :rolleyes:
It's the Australian Open! With no reciprocal qualifying arrangements, why would they go to anyone BUT Australians :weirdo:

All good choices. No way Calderwood should have even been considered. Bai was a tad unlucky, but she has been injured and has been in average form, so rightly overlooked.

Daniel K
Jan 14th, 2009, 07:25 AM
Well what were you expecting Ruajdnfja Jajajddkuvovoahnnvokova from Kazhakstan to be awarded a qualifying wildcard when she is ranked 1094857th in the world :rolleyes:
It's the Australian Open! With no reciprocal qualifying arrangements, why would they go to anyone BUT Australians :weirdo:

All good choices. No way Calderwood should have even been considered. Bai was a tad unlucky, but she has been injured and has been in average form, so rightly overlooked.

:lol::lol: But yeah why would we give wildcards to non-Australians...?

vevenyin
Jan 14th, 2009, 12:44 PM
No Tiantian........

TS
Jan 14th, 2009, 12:54 PM
They got it right this year. Everyone here deserves a go.

Shannon Golds has been ignored over the years, so it's great to see her get some recognition. Alison Bai has received qualy WCs for the last two Opens and really hasn't shown much improvement so a good decision to leave her out. Tyra Calderwood has never played Open qualies before, but she is just not good enough quite frankly. The only other person in with a shot was Mia Vriens, but she's far too inexperienced at senior level.

iGOAT
Jan 15th, 2009, 12:58 AM

Yeah, but one or two talented juniors. All Aussies is ridiculous imo. How about people like Zhou, who's Asian or Vandeweghe who won the US Open?

Babolatpro880
Jan 15th, 2009, 05:35 AM
Yeah, but one or two talented juniors. All Aussies is ridiculous imo. How about people like Zhou, who's Asian or Vandeweghe who won the US Open?

Then Zhou should get a wildcard into Beijing and Vandeweghe should get one into the US Open.