PDA

View Full Version : Australian Open 2009: AUSSE nirvANA

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Reckoner
Jan 20th, 2009, 11:45 PM
http://channelsurfing.net/watch-austrailian-open-3.html

Live stream just started. I'm getting anxious!

DAVAJ MKirilenko
Jan 21st, 2009, 01:23 AM
We can play Where is Ana?

http://www.itsnicethat.com/images/694.jpg

I guess you found her!

Dexter
Jan 21st, 2009, 01:51 AM
Ana beats a qualifier at last. :eek: 63 62 over Brianti... some signs of improvement, but only slight if at all.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jan 21st, 2009, 01:53 AM
:woohoo: idemo?? lol

DAVAJ MKirilenko
Jan 21st, 2009, 01:57 AM
So far it's not much different than last year. Bad match in round 1 and now a pretty good one in round 2. It's always hard to tell with Ana, but great that she can play a good match again. This should be really confident.

Balltoss was again bad, but except for that the serve was fine. FH was there again and she really tried to attack.
Maybe she didn't move well enough, but that's something for round 3.
I'm certainly pleased with her backhandslice. No errors with it, it keeps low and good length. Especially against Kleybanova it can help her a lot.

Just a good match and I'm really happy she was able to do it.
Keep it up Ana! :yeah:

jelenacg
Jan 21st, 2009, 02:00 AM
:bounce::bounce:
I definitely didn`t expect this,so much better
Forehand :bounce:
This girls looks a lot like Justine :eek::eek:
Ball toss so much better like I said everything is in her head

The Daviator
Jan 21st, 2009, 02:02 AM
Was quite pleased with that performance :D Of course she'll need to play even better to beat Kleybanova but she's going in the right direction.

jelenacg
Jan 21st, 2009, 02:17 AM
Like they say expect the worse hope for the best
Serve was so much better today except one game when she made 2 or 3 DF ,she had 6-7 bad ball tosses

Sectumsempra
Jan 21st, 2009, 02:26 AM
not a bad match :) it was closer than the score indicated....

DownTheLine21
Jan 21st, 2009, 03:25 AM
Was quite pleased with that performance :D Of course she'll need to play even better to beat Kleybanova but she's going in the right direction.

I'm so glad to hear this. I missed the match, but I'm going to watch it very shortly.

The Daviator
Jan 21st, 2009, 03:42 AM
Kleybanova in a 3rd set now, come on Stephanie :lol:

Dexter
Jan 21st, 2009, 04:47 AM
Klejbanowa it will be. A match of who hits harder first. :tape:

The Daviator
Jan 21st, 2009, 05:05 AM
I saw the match, and I'm worried :scared: Alisa hits a hard, consistent ball, Ana will need to strike first and strike well, only positive is Ana is much fitter and Alisa might wilt in the heat, especially if it's a tough, gruelling match, she looked pretty spent early in the 3rd today.

Dexter
Jan 21st, 2009, 05:09 AM
Alisa hasn't changed since I saw her in Kraków in November. People were joking about her here how can she be so fat playing tennis on a professional level? But she's not a bad mover, she's always hitting balls deep even when she's pushed to defence. Her serve is incredible too, she was hitting close to 200kmph in Kraków.

bruce goose
Jan 21st, 2009, 05:27 AM
Brianti is one of those players whom Henin,Graf or Serena could beat in straights even if one of those gals were afflicted with a severe case of diarrhea combined with projectile vomiting.I don't care,though;it's just great to see Ana winning:).The future is even more uncertain than usual now,so it's been easier for me to just take this one match at a time....This slows down the emotional roller coaster ride that Ana would otherwise take us all on:help:VAMONOS ANA!!:bounce:

Davodus
Jan 21st, 2009, 07:58 AM
i'm happy with her win
i thought she played a lot better than the 1st round, serve was better, more aggressive...it wasn't great, that's for sure, but it was better and that's what i like :)

Princeza
Jan 21st, 2009, 09:10 AM
Ok, so Federer took less time to win in 3sets than Ana in two :lol:
Didn't see the match, so glad to read she did better (hard not to).

Caro plays really well, if they both win their next matches, it will be :scared:

bad_angel_109
Jan 21st, 2009, 10:51 AM
i got snubbed by ana for an autograph yesterday :sobbing:

DownTheLine21
Jan 21st, 2009, 11:13 AM
LOL. I hope Dokic beats Wozniacki (and Ana beats Kleybanova), and we get a Ivanovic-Dokic 4R encounter.

Dexter
Jan 21st, 2009, 11:18 AM
All I hope for now is that she gets through Klejbanowa...

BuTtErFrEnA
Jan 21st, 2009, 01:05 PM
she looked better yesterday...the fh was working for the most part but it went off but i'm still pleased :dance: hopefully she gains some confidence

gaviotabr
Jan 21st, 2009, 01:17 PM
I just saw a bit of Ana's presser in ESPN. She was very cute, wearing a purple shirt. It was the following extract of her presser:

Q. Having lost the final last year, is that disappointment driving you this year?

ANA IVANOVIC: Yes. Last year's finals was very emotional for me. I remember I had trouble sleeping couple nights after that.

But, you know, it was still a great experience. Like I said, you know, this year coming I really think I can still improve and build up on my game, hopefully take a step further.

But, you know, still I don't want to be too much focused on the end result, just enjoy every single match.

She seemed calmly confident. I hope she really is like that.

gaviotabr
Jan 21st, 2009, 01:41 PM
Ok.. my thoughts on the match:

It was definitely much better than the first round. There is still a lot to improve.. Ana can put more pop and depth on her groundstrokes, and get her serve to work even better. But the improvement was clear. She was building points, she had a strategy IMO, which was really important for me. I guess she worked on that with Sven, since Brianti isn't with adidas. The forehand looked a lot better and she seemed more confident on it, as she ran around her backhand to hit a forehand multiple times, more than she had been doing lately. The net play was okay, some nice smashes. She also used the backhand slice. I think she should use this shot even more in the next match, as it can be very effective. The serve was also much better, even though the ball toss problems were still there.

Now, as I said, there is still a lot to improve. She did make progress with the toss, but there were times she was still throwing it wide or too in front of her. That game in the first set when she double faulted 3 times was all about the toss. Good thing is that she didn't double fault after that, and actually hit some nice aces. Ana should also try to get more first serves in, her percentage is still pretty low. I also feel like her groundstrokes still lack a bit of pop and depth, many landing around the service line. With Brianti that was ok, since she doesn't have the firepower to put away those balls, but with a hard hitter like Kleybanova, Ana can actually suffer. She did hit with more depth then against Goerges, which is a sign that she is going in the right direction. Ana can also improve her concentration. I think the medical time out in the third set disrupted her momentum, and she lost some focus. But the first point after that was the best forehand Ana hit in the match, a DTL that painted the line. I think what really got her out of her groove was that easy smash she hit at the net in the next point. She needs to learn not to get frustrated when something like this happen. She went on unforced error mode for a game and a half after that. That's also an important thing she needs to work on.. have less UEs.

With all that said, she played a controlled agressive match, which is good, and I hope Ana draws some confidence after such an improved performance, and can keep improving even more. She will definitely need it. The next match against Kleybanova should be very tough as Ana usually struggles with hard hitters. She needs to be focused and intense from the beginning to the end, serve better and hit her groundstrokes with more pop and depth.

gaviotabr
Jan 21st, 2009, 02:33 PM
Interesting article by Tracy Austin for The Age newspaper:

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24945063-16143,00.html

Dexter
Jan 21st, 2009, 02:44 PM
I agree with that, it was a better performance tactically wise and I don't care if the opponent allowed her to do so. She still needed for perform it on her own and she did. Came out with tactics, didn't just bash the ball (actually I fully agree that she lacked somefire in her groundstrokes), was patient enough with rallies and started to run around her FH nicely. A couple of totally unneccessary UEs too which was a sign of not fully restored confidence. But it should grow after a win like this one.
Klejbanowa will be a tough cookie and this is a good call that Ana should BH slice against her. I watched the match live her in Kraków in November when Kerber upset Klejbanowa (who was the top seed). 80% after Angie would use her slice (just for the sake of using it) Alisa would come up with an error or a crappy shot. Dropshotting her is also not a bad idea, as her movement forward looks suspect. The tactics of being patient like today won't work (or won't really bring the victory) and needs to attack more and rush the net with success.

jelenacg
Jan 21st, 2009, 03:17 PM
After reading all this i`m worried about Kleybanova
Ana doesn`t like that kind of players
I wasn`t really happy with her returns in her last match,she can do so much better
Very nice article by Tracy Austin and i agree this year is very important for Ana but i also know whole year is a very long period of time and you really can`t predict anything just look at JJ,Murray
They didnt do anything special until the end of the season when they had great results

SOA_MC
Jan 21st, 2009, 03:58 PM
Is a Kleybanova a ADIDAS player?

Dexter
Jan 21st, 2009, 04:16 PM
She's with Fila I think.

Dexter
Jan 21st, 2009, 04:26 PM
Or with Nike... but surely not Adidas.

gaviotabr
Jan 21st, 2009, 05:00 PM
Kleybanova is with Nike. I saw a bit of her match yesterday in ESPN. They were switching around at some point and showed 2 games of the 3rd set against Cohen Aloro. Kleybanova was sooo red, she was literally melting in the heat. But she was hitting ok, and Cohen Aloro couldn't move her around. Her movement is not so good, and the way she looked I don't think she could do much running.

DAVAJ MKirilenko
Jan 21st, 2009, 06:50 PM
It's so ugly to watch Alisa move. Somehow Ana should make some advantage of it.
Best tactic looks like to use a lot of slice. To keep the ball ver low which can cause problems for Alisa. But the court has a high bounce. Normally that's good for Ana, but Alisa likes it as well. The easiest way for Ana to beat her is to be very consistent and keep the rally going. It's not the sort of play Ana suits.
Maybe she should just pretend she plays Venus again and just attack. It worked really well here last year. I think that would be the best thing to do. Of course it will cause some more errors, but then at least she doesn't allow Alisa to attack and get any rhtym. I also think that Ana's isn't capable to outsmart her.
Though I still hope she uses the BH slice to defend her she can, but eventually it's better to try to attack from the start.

SOA_MC
Jan 21st, 2009, 09:33 PM
Did anyone happen to record it? The interview that is.

Late but http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=3843290

Dexter
Jan 22nd, 2009, 05:33 AM
Ana got a night match... on Hisense Arena. :rolleyes: It means I'm going to miss it. :banghead:

Princeza
Jan 22nd, 2009, 07:27 AM
Same time than Wozniacki vs.Dokic :(

gaviotabr
Jan 22nd, 2009, 11:08 AM
This is a bit off topic, but I'm totally shocked that Venus just lost in the 2nd round...:eek:

Back to Ana, so a night match. I don't know... I would prefer her to play Kleybanova during the day, when the heat and fitness could be a factor. I just hope Ana keeps improving and wins! C'mon Ana, don't give me heart attacks! :sobbing:

DownTheLine21
Jan 22nd, 2009, 01:24 PM
I'm pissed off that they scheduled Ana-Kleybanova and Dokic-Wozniacki at the same time.

gaviotabr
Jan 22nd, 2009, 04:37 PM
Uff.. I'm getting a bit nervous again.. :help::tape::scared:

I hope last match brought Ana some more confidence!

Play well and win Ana, please! :sobbing:

Dexter
Jan 22nd, 2009, 04:50 PM
I'm only nervous because there's no way I can stay at home at 9.30 :mad: I MUST be at uni at 8.00 and then I've got my thesis-seminary at 11.30. I think I'll try to find an Internet-cafe somewhere close and watch for 1,5h or so... and making a total full of myself living every point she plays with her on eyes of other people. :tape:

gaviotabr
Jan 22nd, 2009, 04:54 PM
I'm only nervous because there's no way I can stay at home at 9.30 :mad: I MUST be at uni at 8.00 and then I've got my thesis-seminary at 11.30. I think I'll try to find an Internet-cafe somewhere close and watch for 1,5h or so... and making a total full of myself living every point she plays with her on eyes of other people. :tape:

:lol:

I completely understand you Dexter! I'm on holidays right now, so I'll be home for the match.. but there were many matches that caught me at university, and I was either googling results in my phone in the middle of some class or embarassing myself at the uni's cyber cafe. :lol:

Dexter
Jan 22nd, 2009, 04:56 PM
As for Venus losing... mixed feelings here. We know how it feels better than well. I love upsets however and it's good for another youngster to have a breakthrough, hope she builds on it. She played magically to close this one out and we know how tough it is to finish a match off against a WS. Something Dulko couldn't do today.

Dexter
Jan 22nd, 2009, 04:59 PM

I completely understand you Dexter! I'm on holidays right now, so I'll be home for the match.. but there were many matches that caught me at university, and I was either googling results in my phone in the middle of some class or embarassing myself at the uni's cyber cafe. :lol:There's no way I go to our Internet classroom at uni! :tape: First they don't have Flash so the SB won't work... second even if the livestream would work, there's no way I make a fool of myself in front of people who know me! :tape: Even if most already know that I'm a tennis-freak. :tape:

gaviotabr
Jan 22nd, 2009, 05:09 PM
There's no way I go to our Internet classroom at uni! :tape: First they don't have Flash so the SB won't work... second even if the livestream would work, there's no way I make a fool of myself in front of people who know me! :tape: Even if most already know that I'm a tennis-freak. :tape:

Oh.. I wouldn't make a fool of myself in front of random people of my class either.. but my uni is huuuuge, we might just have about 5 or 6 cyber cafes spread out in 16 blocks of buildings.. :lol: So I would just go to one that was the opposite way of my building, and I'm sure nobody there knew me! :lol:

gaviotabr
Jan 22nd, 2009, 05:12 PM
As for Venus losing... mixed feelings here. We know how it feels better than well. I love upsets however and it's good for another youngster to have a breakthrough, hope she builds on it. She played magically to close this one out and we know how tough it is to finish a match off against a WS. Something Dulko couldn't do today.

I'm just still in shock. Venus was playing some great tennis up until now.. and although I don't think she played bad at all, she played bellow her recent level and she was not serving bombs like against Ana in Zurich. Carla Suarez Navarro was great though, such a clean and smooth one handed backhand. And incredibly strong mentally, as she held her nerves all the time.

I saw that endless game in the second set of Serena's match against Dulko, and though she did faulter a bit mentally.. I think Serena is much tougher to close out than Venus somehow.

Dexter
Jan 22nd, 2009, 05:17 PM
Well, my uni is 700 years old and is separated into thousands of building and in mine there are only 4 or 5 faculties, so that makes just 2 per floor... so pretty much most of us know each other, especially if you're on 4th year. :lol:

Off to bed now! :zzz: (at 6.15 pm :cuckoo:)

gaviotabr
Jan 22nd, 2009, 05:25 PM
Well, my uni is 700 years old and is separated into thousands of building and in mine there are only 4 or 5 faculties, so that makes just 2 per floor... so pretty much most of us know each other, especially if you're on 4th year. :lol:

Off to bed now! :zzz: (at 6.15 pm :cuckoo:)

Sleep tight Dexter!

bruce goose
Jan 22nd, 2009, 05:28 PM
I'm just still in shock. Venus was playing some great tennis up until now.. and although I don't think she played bad at all, she played bellow her recent level and she was not serving bombs like against Ana in Zurich. Carla Suarez Navarro was great though, such a clean and smooth one handed backhand. And incredibly strong mentally, as she held her nerves all the time.

I saw that endless game in the second set of Serena's match against Dulko, and though she did faulter a bit mentally.. I think Serena is much tougher to close out than Venus somehow.Yes,you're right;although Venus is very limber and athletic for her height,Serena is noticeably quicker when it comes to lateral movement so she can run balls down more easily when you're trying to put her away....Plus I'd dare to guess that Venus is more content with her previous accomplishments at this stage of her career.Serena has a little more fire in her as proven by her naysaying of JJ's #1 ranking.However,if Venus retired,then I doubt that Serena could stand to go too long on Tour w/o her.If Venus weren't around,Serena might shoot for one more Slam and then quit also

jelenacg
Jan 22nd, 2009, 05:30 PM
I was also watching Venus vs Carla and the whole time I was expecting Carla to choke and couldn`t believe how calm she was :worship::worship:
But she didn`t have anything to loose and Venus even she didn`t play bad this wasn`t near her best
It will be interesting to see how she will handle the pressure now bc everyone will expect her to past a few more rounds
As for Ana ,I`m also worried :tape: and not very happy about a night match
Dokic-Wozniacki match will be interesting,I expect Caro to win

gaviotabr
Jan 22nd, 2009, 06:46 PM
Yes,you're right;although Venus is very limber and athletic for her height,Serena is noticeably quicker when it comes to lateral movement so she can run balls down more easily when you're trying to put her away....Plus I'd dare to guess that Venus is more content with her previous accomplishments at this stage of her career.Serena has a little more fire in her as proven by her naysaying of JJ's #1 ranking.However,if Venus retired,then I doubt that Serena could stand to go too long on Tour w/o her.If Venus weren't around,Serena might shoot for one more Slam and then quit also

I also think Serena has more fire.. she has more of a "I'm the best and should never lose" attitude also, and that always helps in those kind of situations. I agree that Serena takes a lot of her drive and motivation to play from Venus being around for her.

gaviotabr
Jan 22nd, 2009, 06:49 PM
I was also watching Venus vs Carla and the whole time I was expecting Carla to choke and couldn`t believe how calm she was :worship::worship:
But she didn`t have anything to loose and Venus even she didn`t play bad this wasn`t near her best
It will be interesting to see how she will handle the pressure now bc everyone will expect her to past a few more rounds
As for Ana ,I`m also worried :tape: and not very happy about a night match
Dokic-Wozniacki match will be interesting,I expect Caro to win

I'm also worried.. Kleybanova is a hard hitter.. Ana has to be smart and use some variety (net play, slices) to avoid giving her rhythm. And serve well.. that's the big thing here. C'mon Ana, play well and win!

About Dokic-Caro.. I don't know.. Dokic is riding a wave of confidence, and will have massive support from the crowd. Caro should still beat her, but I'm not sure how she will handle the conditions.

I think Carla Suarez Navarro should reach at least the 4th round. Then against probably Penetta I have my doubts.

bruce goose
Jan 22nd, 2009, 07:10 PM
I also think Serena has more fire.. she has more of a "I'm the best and should never lose" attitude also, and that always helps in those kind of situations. I agree that Serena takes a lot of her drive and motivation to play from Venus being around for her.You've seen me draw some ON-court parallels between Ana and Serena before,but I wish that Ana had more of that fire,that dissatisfaction with losing.Ana doesn't LIKE to lose,of course,but she doesn't DISlike it nearly enough...at least not right now....The flip side is that Serena can be quite obnoxious sometimes;although it doesn't happen often,she's prone to making ridiculous excuses when she gets her ass kicked fair and square(as opposed to when she beats herself with errors),and there have been some highly questionable "injuries" that she only reported AFTER losses.She HAS gotten a bit better in this area,yet one of her old standbys is that her opponent 'played the match of her life' to win:rolleyes:.I'd rather that Ana didn't mimic THIS trait,though I doubt she will:angel:

DAVAJ MKirilenko
Jan 22nd, 2009, 10:42 PM
Damn, I can't watch her either. I'm off from work for a week, but I'm playing a chess tournament which crosses Ana's match.
I'm sure ES won't show the whole match, so I just have to call someone if Ana survived or not :help:

Cp6uja
Jan 22nd, 2009, 11:50 PM
William Hill WTA AO/09 Winner odds:
3.50 Serena Williams
4.50 Venus Williams
7.00 Jelena Jankovic
8.00 Ana Ivanovic
11.0 Dinara Safina
15.0 Elena Dementieva
...others...over 20
W.HILL ODDS is "corrected" in last two days:

3.75 Venus Williams
3.75 Serena Williams
7.50 Jelena Jankovic
9.00 Dinara Safina
11.0 Ana Ivanovic
13.0 Elena Dementieva
...others...over 20

^^^ Less pressure on Ana :p
I check again W.Hill "AO-Winner" odds now before 2nd round... and guess where i notice biggest changes :p

3.75 Venus Williams
4.00 Serena Williams
5.50 Jelena Jankovic
8.00 Elena Dementieva
10.0 Dinara Safina
13.0 Ana Ivanovic
17.0 Caroline Wozniacki
17.0 Vera Zvonareva
17.0 Victoria Azarenka
...others...over 20

Anci baby, find your Forehand and Serve again - and beat them all... against all odds :rocker2:

:tape: :help: :scared:It's interesting to follow how Ana's chances rise or down after every complete round.
Here is latest (before 3rd Round) W.Hill "Winner" ODDS:

3.25 Serena Williams
5.50 Elena Dementieva
5.50 Jelena Jankovic
10.0 Dinara Safina
11.0 Ana Ivanovic
15.0 Victoria Azarenka
17.0 Caroline Wozniacki
17.0 Vera Zvonareva
...others...over 20

SOA_MC
Jan 23rd, 2009, 12:04 AM
They only moved Ana up because Venus got knocked out

The betting agencys are anticipating money will be placed on Ana so they brought her odds in

MarieC
Jan 23rd, 2009, 12:37 AM
I'll get to see about the first 30 mins of Ana's match as I get ready for work. I'll have to sneak onto the computer at work to find out the result

gaviotabr
Jan 23rd, 2009, 12:43 AM
I'll get to see about the first 30 mins of Ana's match as I get ready for work. I'll have to sneak onto the computer at work to find out the result

Hopefully you can leave to work feeling confident about the match!

I'm going to sleep now so that I can wake up in time to watch Ana.. Aisss... Ana please play well and win! Don't give me heart attacks! :awww:

Langers
Jan 23rd, 2009, 07:13 AM
Got myself a ticket to Hisense Arena tonight, so pumped!

CMON ANA! :rocker2:

Reckoner
Jan 23rd, 2009, 08:44 AM
when is this match going to start? All the live stream is showing is outside the court.

Nikkiri
Jan 23rd, 2009, 08:49 AM
Her match isn't on the scoreboard yet.

-NAJ-
Jan 23rd, 2009, 08:50 AM
http://www.atdhe.net/live-tv-2506.html

Reckoner
Jan 23rd, 2009, 08:53 AM
Of course as soon as I make that post it gets under way.

The coin toss was almost exactly the same as the Hantuchova one from earlier on the same court.

bruce goose
Jan 23rd, 2009, 11:07 AM
Though I've never dated a shop-a-holic,I HAVE seen male prisoners during some of my trips to the mall.It just dawned on me how totally appropriate it is that Ana is obsessed with shopping:Just as a woman can't make up her mind whether she wants the blue or the red dress,ANA can't make up her mind whether she intends on winning or losing these matches of hers...she keeps vacillating back and forth:confused:

Having said this,the cute heifer Kleybanova isn't known for her endurance at all;),so I'm counting on Ana to pull out this 3rd set.I'm gonna get a 1 1/2 hour "nap" before heading to work as it's another case of SWAAC:Sleep Withdrawal Ana Always Causes:help::help:

mure
Jan 23rd, 2009, 11:46 AM
well,considering how bad she played i'm surprised she forced a 3 hour 3 setter.That shows what a great fighter she is and i think that's the lone positive from her aussie campaign

Zangaef's daughter(as someone called Kleybanova :lol:) was going for her shots so all kudos to her

gaviotabr
Jan 23rd, 2009, 11:47 AM
I just have no words...

This is just ugly...

Ana should have won this match, but again she played like crap.. and though she fought hard, she just couldn't keep up mentally in the third set.

I hope she gets a new coach ASAP, and maybe we can still see the real Ana back this year.

jelenacg
Jan 23rd, 2009, 11:51 AM
What can I say Kleybanova was more solid player
Ana was from great to mess and again through whole match
She had her chances but couldn`t use them
I admire her for winning that second set ,she is a fighter what can I say :worship:
Did I mention I`m dead,and so tired right now

azdaja
Jan 23rd, 2009, 11:53 AM
meh, i think i've lost my patience. i waited for 3 years for her grand slam and number one and i remember all the frustration from those 3 years, so now i'm not gonna bother :shrug: i remain a fan, but my expectations will remain low until she returns and starts showing some consistence. i gotta reserve my energy for some other up and coming players who are bound to give me the same hard times that ana did in the past :tape:

Just Do It
Jan 23rd, 2009, 11:54 AM
Lets just say that was horrible. :o

The Daviator
Jan 23rd, 2009, 12:02 PM
She should have won the first set, up *5-3 30-30, lost a long rally, then she played absolutely awful tennis losing 7 games in a row :tape:

At last she started to play like Ana and go for her shots and she was very tenacious in taking the second set, but again, the crappy play returns, easy miss on the FH to give away the break, fights back to *2-3 and wastes 40-15 :o

Alisa was very solid with her hitting, I was hoping she would fade fitness-wise but she wouldn't :lol: Still I'm happy for her, she's very sweet and played well.

At least this will make Ana realise that she's playing like shit and she needs help and a lot of hard work.

gaviotabr
Jan 23rd, 2009, 12:04 PM
You know.. what hurts me most is that Ana served for the first set.. she had her chance there. I think if she had taken it, she would be much more confortable in the second set, and would have won. But she lost focus and let Alisa win 7 games in a row! I mean.. WTF was that? It's all mental, and if Ana doesn't aknowledge it and find a way to fix it.. I don't know..

Thinking about it, this loss reminds me of many others last year.. Like against Zheng in China Open. She served for the 1st set twice, lost it, won the second, couldn't keep up in the third. Even like Pironkova in Rome. Lost the first set, fought hard to win the second, went away in the third. I think when Ana got to 2-3 40-15 and missed that game, she was done mentally. Had she held there, maybe she could have some left in the tank still..

MagicMilan
Jan 23rd, 2009, 12:09 PM
Ana is just playing so poorly these days, it seems as though it's lasting for ages :sad:
She's always fighting, I admire her for that, but her game has gone to a totally different direction recently. Becoming more and more passive, forehand incredibly shaky...
When will that old Ana return??? :sad:

jelenacg
Jan 23rd, 2009, 12:10 PM
She needs coach ASAP
This match totally shows it,today Kleybanova had better FH,BH and movement :eek::eek:
You just cant walk on court without having any idea and hitting the ball from one side to the other side
FH has to be so much better and with more depth bc it`s her main weapon and its suppose to move her opponent far from baseline
Even today she could win but she would loose in next round so whats the point
I hope she and her team will understand that she just cant be alone without a coach
She just can`t
And I expecting the same old story from her press how her opponent is young and talented and she just needs more matches :help:

gaviotabr
Jan 23rd, 2009, 12:17 PM
She should have won the first set, up *5-3 30-30, lost a long rally, then she played absolutely awful tennis losing 7 games in a row :tape:

At last she started to play like Ana and go for her shots and she was very tenacious in taking the second set, but again, the crappy play returns, easy miss on the FH to give away the break, fights back to *2-3 and wastes 40-15 :o

Alisa was very solid with her hitting, I was hoping she would fade fitness-wise but she wouldn't :lol: Still I'm happy for her, she's very sweet and played well.

At least this will make Ana realise that she's playing like shit and she needs help and a lot of hard work.

It's all mental. Ana should have won that first set. When she double faulted to concede the break back, she totally lost concentration. She just couldn't get her head in the match. She needs a sports psychologist, someone to work her mindset.

But then again.. if she didn't realise she is playing like shit until now, what can make us think she will realise it all of a sudden? I mean, it has been 6-7 months.

The Daviator
Jan 23rd, 2009, 12:21 PM
I agree with jelena, I'd rather her lose this match than get destroyed 6-2 6-4 by Dokic, cos that's what would have happened.

Maybe the thumb injury screwed her more than we thought, it's all speculation at this point, we should all just lower our expecations of Ana to 0 and enjoy every win she gets :tape: :lol:

Fidello
Jan 23rd, 2009, 12:23 PM
She needs a coach ASAP. And some with great knowledge of psychology too.
PS why are you guys so quiet in the GM forum? We need to stand up against the haters. And it should be easy, they're bunch of morons anyway.

DownTheLine21
Jan 23rd, 2009, 12:23 PM
I don't even want to talk about her performance. It was just bad. Dokic's win made me so happy, but this loss is just pathetic and irritating.

gaviotabr
Jan 23rd, 2009, 12:26 PM
I agree with jelena, I'd rather her lose this match than get destroyed 6-2 6-4 by Dokic, cos that's what would have happened.

Maybe the thumb injury screwed her more than we thought, it's all speculation at this point, we should all just lower our expecations of Ana to 0 and enjoy every win she gets :tape: :lol:

The thumb injury screwed her.. not because of the injury itself, but because it killed her confidence. Ana is a confidence player and without it.. :help:

Also, she had to change her grip because of it.. and her service motion. It's all affecting her, and there doesn't seem to be an end.

I shouldn't care, but she is going to fall to number 8 in the world. :sad:

Nikkiri
Jan 23rd, 2009, 12:27 PM
I love how everyone in GM is acting as if Alisa was some kind of angel on court. She was actually worse than Ana int the start Ana started to pick up as the match got tight. :rolleyes: Really they are a bunch of morons not really worth replying to tbh.

jelenacg
Jan 23rd, 2009, 12:28 PM
I like Ana bc she is attacker and not a defender
If i wanted to cheer for someone who is not dictating points, who lets other player take the initiative I would chose JJ
This being said I am glad she didn`t won that first set bc she was playing just like in her first match, she had 4 winners :confused:
It would be more like Kleybanova lost it than Ana won it
It doesn`t really matter now is she going to win 5 matches or loose
Only thing that matters is her game and she lost it totally :tape:
If she had a coach her FH would be more effective,she would be the one dictating points and she would at leat have some tactics in her head

gaviotabr
Jan 23rd, 2009, 12:32 PM
I also hope that Ana gets a new coach ASAP. But I don't know if we are going to see immediate results really.. it's much more mental than techinical.

And about GM, I'm going to skip it for a month..

The Daviator
Jan 23rd, 2009, 12:33 PM
I love how everyone in GM is acting as if Alisa was some kind of angel on court. She was actually worse than Ana int the start Ana started to pick up as the match got tight. :rolleyes: Really they are a bunch of morons not really worth replying to tbh.

Yeah, she was fistpumping and shouting c'mon after every point, but it's ok for an 'up-and-comer' apparently :o

gaviotabr
Jan 23rd, 2009, 12:33 PM
And I'm tired of Ana double faulting on break points.. Stop it Ana! Just hit a shit serve to the other side.. I prefer if you get a return winner than to hand the break with a double fault!

Princeza
Jan 23rd, 2009, 12:35 PM
PS why are you guys so quiet in the GM forum? We need to stand up against the haters. And it should be easy, they're bunch of morons anyway.

She wins, she's criticized, she loses it is the same. It's a never ending story.
Most of them are 13 y.o twats who think WS created tennis.
Not worth a fight, at least not today, I'm too :(

gaviotabr
Jan 23rd, 2009, 12:36 PM
I want to read Ana's presser.. I wonder what is she going to say this time around. It's her third early loss in a row in a Slam. There are no excuses, it's just ridiculous.

azdaja
Jan 23rd, 2009, 12:40 PM
It doesn`t really matter now is she going to win 5 matches or loose
Only thing that matters is her game and she lost it totally :tape:
yeah, it seems we are back to where we were a couple of years ago :help: it really doesn't matter if she is losing or winning if she isn't playing at least reasonably well. she should be able to win ugly, but not in every match.

Yeah, she was fistpumping and shouting c'mon after every point, but it's ok for an 'up-and-comer' apparently :o
of course. few people disliked ana's fistpumps before she got more successful. and then they say hating a player has nothing to do with success.

jelenacg
Jan 23rd, 2009, 12:50 PM
Like I said, can`t wait to see what she is going to say this time in her press conference
And about fistpumping ,she can do what ever she wants after the point as long as it` s not against the rules :angel:
And I don`t want to argue with people in GM bc `i`m not even mad about this lost i`m just very disappointed :bigcry:

gaviotabr
Jan 23rd, 2009, 12:52 PM
This does remind be a bit of that period after Ana won Montreal in 2006. She sucked until after AO. Can she get better now? :sobbing:

gaviotabr
Jan 23rd, 2009, 12:54 PM
Like I said, can`t wait to see what she is going to say this time in her press conference
And about fistpumping ,she can do what ever she wants after the point as long as it` s not against the rules :angel:
And I don`t want to argue with people in GM bc `i`m not even mad about this lost i`m just very disappointed :bigcry:

I'm also so so so so disappointed I can't even think about oppening GM.. :sobbing:

The Daviator
Jan 23rd, 2009, 01:14 PM
GM isn't so bad, I've seen it worse after an Ana loss, I think a lot of people are used to seeing Ana lose early now so she's no longer a 'threat' to their faves and they're going easy on the hating :lol: There's of course still a lot of comments about the fistpumps blah blah, but not too much nasty personal comments.

gaviotabr
Jan 23rd, 2009, 01:18 PM
When will this end? :sobbing:

I was looking for her presser, but nothing yet.

Dexter
Jan 23rd, 2009, 01:28 PM
I stopped watching at 57 02, I had to leave from behind PC at 57 34*... Somehow I felt like she's still going to win this set though. My bf kept me updating thankfully, so I know she grained it out in the 2nd. But HTF can she lose after winning 2nd set? I mean, CMON this is the biggest match of this girl's life... she chokes it away and then Ana decided to plug the Mother Theresa mode in. :weirdo: I expected a scoreline like against Vinci. Just look what Safina done to Makarova... just one little push on the accelerator and the girl was done, no need to do wonders on the court. The fact that she lost in such circumstances only shows where she is right now. Her whole brain leaked out through her ears. She needs a break and a long one.
I feel such vain inside me... Anger, sadness, disappointment, irrelevance, disbelief and other mixed feelings give together zero.

Dexter
Jan 23rd, 2009, 01:29 PM
When will this end? :sobbing:

I was looking for her presser, but nothing yet.I'm curious about it too. When she comes back with the same crap she always does after her random losses last year it will make me mad... I want her to show some character. PC shit will drive me insane more than this loss.

jelenacg
Jan 23rd, 2009, 01:30 PM
Looking at the positive side at least she didn`t loose to a qualifier ,that`s what I call improvement ;)
I`m just waiting to see did she loose to some `talented young girl` like always :banghead::banghead:

gaviotabr
Jan 23rd, 2009, 01:44 PM
I stopped watching at 57 02, I had to leave from behind PC at 57 34*... Somehow I felt like she's still going to win this set though. My bf kept me updating thankfully, so I know she grained it out in the 2nd. But HTF can she lose after winning 2nd set? I mean, CMON this is the biggest match of this girl's life... she chokes it away and then Ana decided to plug the Mother Theresa mode in. :weirdo: I expected a scoreline like against Vinci. Just look what Safina done to Makarova... just one little push on the accelerator and the girl was done, no need to do wonders on the court. The fact that she lost in such circumstances only shows where she is right now. Her whole brain leaked out through her ears. She needs a break and a long one.
I feel such vain inside me... Anger, sadness, disappointment, irrelevance, disbelief and other mixed feelings give together zero.

My feelings exactly.

And I don't understand how Ana is totally incapable of taking the momentum to a third set. I mean, she was fighting, trying to go for her shots.. then it seems that all that drains her and she comes back totally flat for the following set. Had she just kept the intensity up, she would have pulled this one out.

Ana really is the Madre Theresa of the WTA. She likes to give an extra life to fading careers, a boost of confidence to young talents.. just spreading the wealth. In no time, she will have nothing in her hands.

gaviotabr
Jan 23rd, 2009, 01:46 PM
I'm curious about it too. When she comes back with the same crap she always does after her random losses last year it will make me mad... I want her to show some character. PC shit will drive me insane more than this loss.

There are a couple of pics from the presser in Getty. Ana looks terrible, she probably cried. But, there is a picture of her smiling.. uff.. I want her to show some charecter, be pissed off with herlself.. do something. This is just ridiculous.

jelenacg
Jan 23rd, 2009, 01:50 PM
Press conference is out,now I`m even more sad
I hope she finds coach ASAP,but i think we can say officially goodbye to first part of the season

gaviotabr
Jan 23rd, 2009, 01:54 PM
By the way.. why does every opponent seem to play the match of their lives against Ana? Seriously.. she could just get lucky sometimes. Luck has abandoned Ana..

gaviotabr
Jan 23rd, 2009, 01:57 PM
Press conference is out,now I`m even more sad
I hope she finds coach ASAP,but i think we can say officially goodbye to first part of the season

Wimbledon can't come soon enough.. at least she won't have much to lose when she gets there.. :sobbing:

gaviotabr
Jan 23rd, 2009, 02:03 PM
And good to know that Ana is really serious about getting herself a new coach. She just should take this week that she has off to make the decision and start working already. If she wants to turn this around she should not waste any more time.

jelenacg
Jan 23rd, 2009, 02:09 PM
Well I think they play well if you let them play and that was Ana`s case from beginning of this year
That was also Venus case yesterday
Ana doesn`t play her game and that`s way she plays 3h long matches against these players
In last RG she lost 20 games in 5 matches before SF ,it`s not bc those players didn`t know how to play tennis ,it`s bc she imposed her game and didn`t let them play their game
And now she can`t impose her game bc she lacs tactics and practice with a coach and bc of all that she lacks confidence in her shots

Dexter
Jan 23rd, 2009, 02:14 PM
By the way.. why does every opponent seem to play the match of their lives against Ana? Seriously.. she could just get lucky sometimes. Luck has abandoned Ana..Because she doesn't intimidate anybody anymore. The word spread very quickly around the lockerroom. Girls know that if they stick with Ana and show her no respect, they stand more than a chance. Actually I think Ana's overpositive/overaggressive attitude is her undoing right now. At this point she should be showing NO emotions on the court, especially when she's winning or coming back. But it's nearly an impossible task with what Sven implemented into her game.

gaviotabr
Jan 23rd, 2009, 02:30 PM
Because she doesn't intimidate anybody anymore. The word spread very quickly around the lockerroom. Girls know that if they stick with Ana and show her no respect, they stand more than a chance. Actually I think Ana's overpositive/overaggressive attitude is her undoing right now. At this point she should be showing NO emotions on the court, especially when she's winning or coming back. But it's nearly an impossible task with what Sven implemented into her game.

You are probably right. And Kleybanova said almost just that in her presser. She said she knew she just had to keep going and stick with Ana, that she knew she could win. I guess everyone knows that Ana is in a big slump and can lose to just about anyone.

And it's clear to me that the Ana-Sven partnership is not working anymore. And I actually liked her fistpumps and all, but it's a bit too much now. Not that it bugs me, it doesn't.. but I agree that she is showing too much emotion and the opponent is only taking advantage of it. She also gets way too down on herself after some crucial mistake. Sometimes it's a missed overhead, sometimes a double fault.. but you just know that if it's in a crucial moment, she will totally lose her concentration and go on walkabout for the next few games. She needs to learn how to be more stable emotionally. The thing is, she is not aknowledging this issue.

Ksenia.
Jan 23rd, 2009, 02:57 PM
I was not really surprised when I saw that Ana lost today for some reason :sad:
What's her next event?

Dexter
Jan 23rd, 2009, 03:17 PM
^^ Dubai.

I forgot my first thought I came up with after I found out she lost... NirvANA turned out into NirSRANA. :tape: A few people should get it. :tape:

Fidello
Jan 23rd, 2009, 06:48 PM
NirSRANA
:lol: that's just gross
(but true)

DAVAJ MKirilenko
Jan 23rd, 2009, 07:50 PM
Well can you be even happier than this?
Awesome serving after breaking to 5-3 in the 1st set. Roddick/Karlovic couldn't do it better. And maybe even less UE's than Nadal at his best day. Absolutely outstanding.
Is there anything she can improve from this marvellous performance?
Keep it up, Ana! That comeback in the 2nd set.... it helped you so much in the 3rd.
I just don't have enough words for it.
Again a reason to be proud of her :yeah:

bruce goose
Jan 23rd, 2009, 07:53 PM
Well can you be even happier than this?
Awesome serving after breaking to 5-3 in the 1st set. Roddick/Karlovic couldn't do it better. And maybe even less UE's than Nadal at his best day. Absolutely outstanding.
Is there anything she can improve from this marvellous performance?
Keep it up, Ana! That comeback in the 2nd set.... it helped you so much in the 3rd.
I just don't have enough words for it.
Again a reason to be proud of her :yeah::sad:

Ksenia.
Jan 23rd, 2009, 08:00 PM
^^ Dubai.

I forgot my first thought I came up with after I found out she lost... NirvANA turned out into NirSRANA. :tape: A few people should get it. :tape:based on the fact Russian and other Slavic languages are quite similar, I guess this is not a good word :tape: :lol:

DAVAJ MKirilenko
Jan 23rd, 2009, 08:02 PM
:sad:

And if it's not enough, I played as shit as well today :worship:

ANA IVANOVIC: No. Obviously it's very disappointing, and I'm very, very sad because I really felt I could do well here. I felt physically fit. So it's really, really disappointing. I can just try to learn from this.

Stop trying, go to Nike and JUST DO IT!

bruce goose
Jan 23rd, 2009, 08:05 PM
Stop trying, go to Nike and JUST DO IT!^^^Exactly...quit TALKING about 'learning lessons' and go DEMONSTRATE what you've learned

gaviotabr
Jan 23rd, 2009, 08:14 PM
Stop trying, go to Nike and JUST DO IT!

Will she ever really learn? She is always saying that she learned from her struggles.. well, I don't see any proof of it..

DownTheLine21
Jan 23rd, 2009, 08:15 PM
Not even being able to throw the ball straight into the air should be an indication that you're in trouble. I'm sort of getting fed up with the "I will learn from this" line. She needs to see a sports psychologist soon to get some of this straightened out.

gaviotabr
Jan 23rd, 2009, 08:21 PM
I shouldn't even be thinking about it anymore.. but since I have nothing else to do in my completely boring holidays.. :lol::help:

At the end of the second set Kleybanova looked tired. And Jelena is right, Ana never looked tired at all. I think she has a lot of endurance, she can play hours and hours. Last year in Wimbledon, during the match against Dechy Ana also never looked tired. Today all she had to do to win ugly was to expose Kleybanova's fitness.. I was hoping this could have been a day match, since it would favour Ana even more... but still, didn't she see that her opponent was tiring? She had to take advantage of it making her run.. play drop shots, slices, get her on the run all the time. Instead it was Ana who faded away in the third.. not because of fitness, but out of being emotionally drained or something like that.. in those last couple of games, Ana looked like she just had given up, nothing like the fired up Ana that fought her way to win the second set. I don't get how she was not able to read her opponent and take advantage of it.

gaviotabr
Jan 23rd, 2009, 08:30 PM
Not even being able to throw the ball straight into the air should be an indication that you're in trouble. I'm sort of getting fed up with the "I will learn from this" line. She needs to see a sports psychologist soon to get some of this straightened out.

She needs to awknowledge to herself that she needs the help from a sports psychologist first, and I'm not sure she has done that. She has been in denial for such a long time that I don't know if this particular loss will have such an impact. I definitely hope so as it's clear as water that she needs this help ASAP.

jelenacg
Jan 23rd, 2009, 08:49 PM
Having a coach is not only good for her tactics and game plan it`s also good for her head
As far as I know coaches are also very good psychologist and they know how to get through the player
That`s way she needs coach ASAP like we all said,she needs someone with whom she can talk to and who can help her deal with her fears
I am sure that with some help she will be just fine,she is not some mental midget and I think she is a very good learner( i always thought that about her,don`t know why )
Lets just hope she can find someone like that
I still think it`s better for her that she lost that match,now she can`t fool herself anymore
She just needs to stand in front of the mirror and say I have a problem and lets try to solve that problem

bruce goose
Jan 23rd, 2009, 09:09 PM
Instead it was Ana who faded away in the third.. not because of fitness, but out of being emotionally drained or something like that.. in those last couple of games, Ana looked like she just had given up, nothing like the fired up Ana that fought her way to win the second set. I don't get how she was not able to read her opponent and take advantage of it.THAT'S what I've been saying.People see the occasional fist pump or hear an AJDE once in a while and reason,"Oh,Ana's really pushing herself.".......but it only comes in little spurts and then disappears.The REAL fire just isn't there,and the only time we've seen it was during Zurich,Linz and YEC...when she was still with 'Nando.Maybe he gave her a boost or maybe it's an amazing coincidence...I can't prove the answer.

Izy,I'm not sure that Ana doesn't recognize her problems;it seems that she doesn't care if there IS a problem.Again,it's not that she has 0% motivation...it's simply not high enough to push her to make a lasting difference:help:

gaviotabr
Jan 23rd, 2009, 09:25 PM
THAT'S what I've been saying.People see the occasional fist pump or hear an AJDE once in a while and reason,"Oh,Ana's really pushing herself.".......but it only comes in little spurts and then disappears.The REAL fire just isn't there,and the only time we've seen it was during Zurich,Linz and YEC...when she was still with 'Nando.Maybe he gave her a boost or maybe it's an amazing coincidence...I can't prove the answer.

Izy,I'm not sure that Ana doesn't recognize her problems;it seems that she doesn't care if there IS a problem.Again,it's not that she has 0% motivation...it's simply not high enough to push her to make a lasting difference:help:

I think she does care Bruce. I really do.. The thing is, I believe she is completely lost.. she just doesn't know what to do to turn things around. And maybe that comes from not recognizing her real issues.

bruce goose
Jan 23rd, 2009, 09:45 PM
I think she does care Bruce. I really do.. The thing is, I believe she is completely lost.. she just doesn't know what to do to turn things around. And maybe that comes from not recognizing her real issues.Look again,I didn't say that she didn't care AT ALL...just not the way that a champion should.You said yourself that she lacked that fire.If she DID care a whole lot,then she'd prove it by her actions...that means SEEKING answers from people who know better...not running away from coaching.

How can she NOT know what to do?This isn't nuclear physics;she can see what's NOT working and ask someone to help her with it.She is content with losing right now...she might cry for 30 seconds and then it's straight back to the denial routine:sad:

gaviotabr
Jan 23rd, 2009, 09:48 PM
Look again,I didn't say that she didn't care AT ALL...just not the way that a champion should.You said yourself that she lacked that fire.If she DID care a whole lot,then she'd prove it by her actions...that means SEEKING answers from people who know better...not running away from coaching.

How can she NOT know what to do?This isn't nuclear physics;she can see what's NOT working and ask someone to help her with it.She is content with losing right now...she might cry for 30 seconds and then it's straight back to the denial routine:sad:

She can not know what to do by being in denial. When you are in denial you just deny your issues, you don't see them clearly. That's happening to Ana and her team IMO.

Dexter
Jan 25th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Excited about the future / January 25, 2009

It's been a very exciting first week with many great matches and storylines to follow. Unfortunately, I became one of them on Friday night.

I didn't find anything close to my best tennis here, but I tried my hardest and I cannot do more than that.

Sometimes your game just isn't there. I'm going to take a few days off, maybe have a holiday somewhere in Australia, think about what went wrong and how I can improve.

Top of my list of priorities is appointing a new full-time coach. I'm excited about working with someone with new ideas and I'm still confident of achieving some good results this year.

That's the great thing about tennis - there is always another tournament just around the corner.

Often when a top seed loses, reporters' questions focus on their performance and people forget about the great play of the victor.

As I said, I didn't play well on Friday, but Alisa Kleybanova deserves great credit for her performance.

She played some unbelievable shots and was very consistent. The better player on the day won.

It was the same thing with the Venus Williams match. It was surprising that such a great champion lost in the second round, but you have to look at how well her opponent played.

Carla Suarez Navarros' victory proves there are no easy matches at grand slams. Every match is tough and there are always several upsets during the early rounds.

I've been watching some matches. Usually I don't watch much tennis and when I do it is men's tennis because I like to see what I can learn from the guys.

But I've seen some women's matches, too, including Jelena Dokic's first two matches.

Jelena has been great to watch. I admit I cried during her interview after her first round match. She has been through so much and I'm happy for her.

I know how important it is to have a supportive team around you and at the core of that is your family.

I can safely say I wouldn't be here without the kind support and understanding of my family. They never once pushed me, in fact, I pushed them!

I loved to hit the ball and compete in kids' tournaments at the weekends. My family was always extremely supportive.

I never stopped believing I would win the match against Kleybanova, which makes it tougher to come to terms with.

Love
Ana

Ana's last column is like honey on my heart... How can you dislike this girl? :hearts: I think she sounds even too up-beat, but at least she's more down to Earth overall. She will be back... I don't know when, but our dear old Ana will be back, guys.

Ksenia.
Jan 25th, 2009, 07:51 AM
"Top of my list of priorities is appointing a new full-time coach"
I'm so glad she has realized that :)

Langers
Jan 25th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Well I was there for her 1st and 3rd round matches.

Gotta hand it to Kleybanova, she played an amazing game and didn't shy away all night.

But what the heck has happened to Ana? 23 winners, 50 unforced errors. What is that??? She has lost her ability to dominate the rallies and I thought it couldn't happen but she is being overpowered by her opponents. Heck, even in the 1st round she was outpowered in the first set before her opponent started to play loose.

Ana is in a serious rut, as I said, she no longer dominates play. Who knows where she'll be ranked this time next year, I can see a pretty decent fall unless she gets a coach and works hard on her game.

gaviotabr
Jan 25th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Everyone on Ana's half is playing like crap.. seriously! Except Zvonareva.. everyone else. Some people are lucky, some are not.. Ana was definitely unlucky.. she could have won that match even playing the way she did.

gaviotabr
Jan 25th, 2009, 10:51 AM
I'm getting depressed watching the AO. If Ana was playing decent tennis (didn't even had to be that good), she would have a free pass to the semis.

I'm going to try to be polyanic about this.. and think that if Ana were to win more matches here she wouldn't think there were big problems in her game. :o

jonnyroyale_13
Jan 25th, 2009, 11:06 AM
well it was one hell of a match. Kleybanova really earned it, and cant always say that when Ana loses.
Its strange to say after a loss, but i am just happy to see Ana playing good again. Love ya Ana:kiss:
Now i hope Bepa kicks everyones ass!

bruce goose
Jan 25th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Everyone on Ana's half is playing like crap.. seriously! Except Zvonareva.. everyone else. Some people are lucky, some are not.. Ana was definitely unlucky.. she could have won that match even playing the way she did.Well,the way that Bartoli played her last two sets vs. Safarova,and then her whole match with JJ,I almost wonder if she would've double-bageled Ana:eek:(that's never happened,right?).Vera has been a nemesis for Marion so we'll see which streaking player has more mojo right now

gaviotabr
Jan 25th, 2009, 11:31 AM
well it was one hell of a match. Kleybanova really earned it, and cant always say that when Ana loses.
Its strange to say after a loss, but i am just happy to see Ana playing good again. Love ya Ana:kiss:
Now i hope Bepa kicks everyones ass!

Ana playing good again? Did we watch the same match?

If Ana was as agressive as in the end of the second set in the third set or in the first set, Ana would have won the match. She won the second set and regressed to be passive again. She was making errors anyway.. so better make them being agressive.

gaviotabr
Jan 25th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Well,the way that Bartoli played her last two sets vs. Safarova,and then her whole match with JJ,I almost wonder if she would've double-bageled Ana:eek:(that's never happened,right?).Vera has been a nemesis for Marion so we'll see which streaking player has more mojo right now

Bartoli did play a perfect match. She was hitting cleanly and running a lot. But Jankovic was slow for her standarts.

gaviotabr
Jan 25th, 2009, 11:47 AM
I'm quite moved by Dokic. :awww:

Dexter
Jan 25th, 2009, 12:03 PM
That was one of the most entertaining matches I've ever watched, if not THE most.
I warmed up to Alisa (I started supporting so many players after they beat Ana... Safina, Zheng (I liked her before, but more after), Coin, now Klejbanowa). She's so unorthodox that you just can't be indifferent towards her. :lol:
I liked her interview before she took to the court.

gaviotabr
Jan 25th, 2009, 12:18 PM
That was one of the most entertaining matches I've ever watched, if not THE most.
I warmed up to Alisa (I started supporting so many players after they beat Ana... Safina, Zheng (I liked her before, but more after), Coin, now Klejbanowa). She's so unorthodox that you just can't be indifferent towards her. :lol:

Safina beat Ana? :confused:

I have nothing against Kleybanova. She played great against Ana and against Dokic. But watching both matches just made me think that if Ana was playing merely decent tennis, she would be in the quarters and beyond. Even not playing well, if she was a bit more agressive, she would have won her 3rd round match. This match today had over 100 UEs combined...

Dexter
Jan 25th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Safina beat Ana? :confused:In Berlin 2005, she totally destroyed Ana on the court. But she was so cute at the net, almost apologetic that I couldn't help. :lol:

gaviotabr
Jan 25th, 2009, 12:29 PM
In Berlin 2005, she totally destroyed Ana on the court. But she was so cute at the net, almost apologetic that I couldn't help. :lol:

Oh! Long time ago, I didn't even remember! :lol:

Safina is moody on court but she is always very nice at the net.

gaviotabr
Jan 25th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Zvonareva is quietly making her way through the draw, isn't she?

Dexter
Jan 25th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Just to be Marionated in the QFs. :hearts: If Marion from today shows up... WOW. Vera seemed really tight to me when closing it out... she's never been beyond the QFs of a GS (last time in QFs in 2003) and Marion said that it's nothing new for her. I wouldn't be surprised if she wins.

gaviotabr
Jan 25th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Just to be Marionated in the QFs. :hearts: If Marion from today shows up... WOW. Vera seemed really tight to me when closing it out... she's never been beyond the QFs of a GS (last time in QFs in 2003) and Marion said that it's nothing new for her. I wouldn't be surprised if she wins.

I didn't watch Vera's match, but I did see JJ/Bartoli. Marion really surprised me with how amazing she was hitting the ball and how well she was running. Sometimes I thought she was getting to balls better than Jankovic, and that's saying a lot. She played an almost perfect match. But I don't know.. Zvonareva is not a good match up for her. Can go either way..

This AO is strange though. No semifinalists from last year are still in the draw, and only 1 quarterfinalist (Serena).

jelenacg
Jan 25th, 2009, 01:59 PM
JJ :eek::eek::eek:
I didn`t see the match,but I guess it`s not easy to play with the target on your back ,she obviously felt a lot of pressure on her
She didnt learn anything from Ana`s performance on GS while being #1 :lol::lol:
Not that I care but i think those muscles she got during of season didn`t help her movement
I now it`s to early but any news about Ana`s new coach :lol:

DownTheLine21
Jan 25th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Dokic's dream run is totally making me forget about Ana's pathetic effort. Almost.

gaviotabr
Jan 25th, 2009, 02:19 PM
JJ :eek::eek::eek:
I didn`t see the match,but I guess it`s not easy to play with the target on your back ,she obviously felt a lot of pressure on her
She didnt learn anything from Ana`s performance on GS while being #1 :lol::lol:
Not that I care but i think those muscles she got during of season didn`t help her movement
I now it`s to early but any news about Ana`s new coach :lol:

Ana must be surfing on some beach these days.. :lol:

I'm hoping she will make the decision around Dubai. The sooner she starts to work with someone new, the sooner she might show some improvement. Sometimes I think Ana could be like Roddick in this particular matter (I'm not comparing them as players at all!!!). What I mean is that, everytime Roddick starts to work with a new coach, he plays so much better, more focused, smarter. When the coaching relationship starts to drag out, he plays poorly. Maybe a new training regime, with a new coach will mean new energy for Ana. So I hope she starts working with her new coach ASAP and that they can connect well.

gaviotabr
Jan 25th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Dokic's dream run is totally making me forget about Ana's pathetic effort. Almost.

Dokic has moved me.. :awww:

But I can't get over Ana's missed opportunities.. :sobbing:

gaviotabr
Jan 25th, 2009, 02:35 PM
I'm watching Djokovic/Baghidatis.. Djokovic uses the drop shot in such a smart way. Ana was also doing that during Zurich/Linz. She didn't drop shot.. not even once in the AO. It could have been very effective against Kleybanova.

jelenacg
Jan 25th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Yes, you maybe right about this
I know that I`ve never been so frustrated with her game like now
I prefer Ana with a lot of UE than this
This is just so awful that i have no words

The Daviator
Jan 25th, 2009, 05:30 PM

I love Alisa now :lol: She is so sweet, I like Julie too, I'll go back to liking Jie when Ana avenges one of her TWO losses to her last year :o

Marion :hearts: She made me very happy after a miserable two days :lol:

jonnyroyale_13
Jan 25th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Ana playing good again? Did we watch the same match?

If Ana was as agressive as in the end of the second set in the third set or in the first set, Ana would have won the match. She won the second set and regressed to be passive again. She was making errors anyway.. so better make them being agressive.

i cant read through this thread because i am about 2 days behind on matches, and dont want to spoil any results. But if i am alone thinking Ana played well, YEAH:D, definitely, i have no problems with how she played the match. Kleybanova was just too good.
Ill read throught the thread when the AO is over, but the passive part i dont get. Its always in context of the moment, or the whole. It seems like second guessing to say she wasnt aggressive at certain moments. When Ana has been in her slump, people say she isnt playing smart and being too aggressive. Now in this match she is passive(?):scratch:
Really, i thouroughly enjoyed this match, even though she lost. It was an instant classic. And i felt like the legit Ana was here.
Her serving was on par with pre-slump Ana serving and her groundstokes were as good as theyve been in a long time. And now my opinion may never be taken seriously again when i say this but...:tape:....Ana is one of the three best movers on tour in my opinion.:crazy:
Seriously, Kleybanova was just filthy, and never took her foot off. To me, the last time Ana was over powered an entire match was in the 2007 YEC vs Sharapova. Just my opinions of course. Watching this match, i felt i was watching 2007 Ivanovic again. Just ran into one hell of an opponent.

bruce goose
Jan 25th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Ana must be surfing on some beach these days.. :lol:

I'm hoping she will make the decision around Dubai. The sooner she starts to work with someone new, the sooner she might show some improvement. Sometimes I think Ana could be like Roddick in this particular matter (I'm not comparing them as players at all!!!). What I mean is that, everytime Roddick starts to work with a new coach, he plays so much better, more focused, smarter. When the coaching relationship starts to drag out, he plays poorly. Maybe a new training regime, with a new coach will mean new energy for Ana. So I hope she starts working with her new coach ASAP and that they can connect well.^^What's scary about this is that Roddick is around 25 and STILL isn't very mature.He's more mature than he USED to be,but that's not saying much.If Ana IS nearly uncoachable as some suspect,then these dry slump periods will become regular occurrences:eek:

bruce goose
Jan 25th, 2009, 05:41 PM
i cant read through this thread because i am about 2 days behind on matches, and dont want to spoil any results. But if i am alone thinking Ana played well, YEAH:D, definitely, i have no problems with how she played the match. Kleybanova was just too good.
Ill read throught the thread when the AO is over, but the passive part i dont get. Its always in context of the moment, or the whole. It seems like second guessing to say she wasnt aggressive at certain moments. When Ana has been in her slump, people say she isnt playing smart and being too aggressive. Now in this match she is passive(?):scratch:
Really, i thouroughly enjoyed this match, even though she lost. It was an instant classic. And i felt like the legit Ana was here.
Her serving was on par with pre-slump Ana serving and her groundstokes were as good as theyve been in a long time. And now my opinion may never be taken seriously again when i say this but...:tape:....Ana is one of the three best movers on tour in my opinion.:crazy:
Seriously, Kleybanova was just filthy, and never took her foot off. To me, the last time Ana was over powered an entire match was in the 2007 YEC vs Sharapova. Just my opinions of course. Watching this match, i felt i was watching 2007 Ivanovic again. Just ran into one hell of an opponent.:confused:Well,it's a free-exchange forum so you're entitled to your views..........even if they're so inexplicably bizarre that nobody else on the planet shares them with you:eek::eek::eek:....Enjoy catching up on your match viewing:p

jonnyroyale_13
Jan 25th, 2009, 05:46 PM
:confused:Well,it's a free-exchange forum so you're entitled to your views..........even if they're so inexplicably bizarre that nobody else on the planet shares them with you:eek::eek::eek:....Enjoy catching up on your match viewing:p

:haha:
i guess it like they say, everyone is entitled to an opinon, the problems start when you share the opinion.

i will enjoy the matches. I am currently stuck a couple days in the past, its the beginning of round 4 for me.:lol:

jelenacg
Jan 25th, 2009, 06:19 PM
I don`t know but i think her movement is now worse than ever
Yes she can ran some balls she never could before but movement is more than that ,her footwork before hitting FH or sometimes BH is :help::help: and that`s the main reason beside her head why her FH sucks right now
In that match she sent so many balls on Kleybanova racket,she didn`t move her at all...so many things done wrong
As I said your opponents play as good as you let them play ,and for a long time now Ana is letting everybody play so thats why she has trouble against everybody these days and everybody are difficult opponents for her

gaviotabr
Jan 25th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Seriously, Kleybanova was just filthy, and never took her foot off. To me, the last time Ana was over powered an entire match was in the 2007 YEC vs Sharapova. Just my opinions of course. Watching this match, i felt i was watching 2007 Ivanovic again. Just ran into one hell of an opponent.

We definitely watched two completely different matches. The one I saw had Ana serving sub par, with a terrible ball toss. She even hit the worst ball toss ever in a second serve to double fault and lose her serve when leading 5-3 in the first set. The ball was so behind her head that she could barely make her racquet make contact with the ball. She was constantly playing with second serves, allowing Kleybanova to attack and control the points. She barely won any free points with her serve, and was broken about 9 times. Ana was also not playing smart. For me, being agressive is not beeing a brainless ballbasher, like sometimes Ana is.. meaning just smack every second ball for an imposible winner. Beeing agressive is to control the points, moving you opponent. She did that late in the second set, maybe out of desperation to fight. But for most of the match Ana was sending these ridiculous high balls to Kleybanova's backhand, which she would just smack for a winner or create a great angle. How was Ana playing well when she hit the amazing ammount of 4 winners to 23 unforced errors in the first set alone!? Kleybanova was only dictating play because Ana allowed her to with high shots in the middle of the court or short balls that were landing around the service line. The girl played a great match, credits to her. But Ana let her.. as soon as Ana began to hit the ball to the corners and go for it on the return of serve, she had Alisa on the back foot. The thing is, she took her foot out of the gaspedal in the third set and got back to allowing Kleybanova to dictate play. And although Ana's movement has improved, she is far and away from being one of the best movers on tour. She gets to some nice balls now, but she is not a natural mover. Ana might be one of the best movers on clay, because she can slide in a very smooth way on the surface.. and pretty much the whole tour sucks on clay. Ana could also have played smarter, using drop shots, lobs. Kleybanova got to the net quite a few times, and she would get glued to the net. Ana should have used some lobs... Dokic did this today to good results. Also, Ana had success in the second set hitting to Alisa's forehand, which is the shot that can break down. In the third she got involved in some stupid backhand to backhand rallies, which she eventually lost, being the BH Kleybanova's best shot and Ana's worst.

All in all.. Ana has to fiz every aspect of her game. But especially the serve, as she feels much more confident when her serve clicks and she is holding easily. And most importantly, she needs to learn how to construct points. Ana has the variety of shots, but doesn't use them. And when she does, she does it in a stupid way. She also has to learn not to get so down on herself after a bad mistake. When she double faulted to lose her lead in the first set, Ana went on a terrible mental walkabout for 7 games. Then after wasting a 40-15 lead trailing *2-3 in the third, she had a bad body language and went on another mental walkabout. She totally loses concentration. Nowadays, when I watch Ana's matches, I just know when she is going to lose lots of games in a row.. I see her face, and I just know. She has to be more composed and learn how to keep focused.

But the game is there.. when she gets fired up and focused, she can turn it on. She has to sort out her head, play more relaxed, and be able to keep her game and intensity up from the first to the last point.

bruce goose
Jan 25th, 2009, 10:28 PM
Mr.Royale seems like a pleasant fellow,but his profile indicates that he lives in the Chicago vicinity which is known for its high Mexican population.Perhaps he was just in a daze from being spellbound by all the Latina beauties who live in his area...and that might contribute to the illusion that Ana played well:confused:.......In his defense,though,Ana has a sweetness about her that makes many of us see things through rose-colored glasses;we WANT her to succeed so we get out hopes up sometimes when we see even one quality set out of her,and it's hard for some to reign in the optimism when it comes to such a special player:hearts:....As for that 'Where's Waldo?' variation that you suggested,the Serbian Tennis Federation ought to offer a HUGE reward for anyone who can win the 'Where's Ana?' version:sad:

gaviotabr
Jan 26th, 2009, 01:24 AM
Some news on Ana's search for a coach!

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24963024-5010361,00.html

Ivanovic close to picking coach

McDonald | January 26, 2009
Article from: The Australian

ANA Ivanovic is on holidays somewhere in Australia, contemplating her early exit from Melbourne while she studies some coaching resumes.

The 21-year-old has left Melbourne Park and having a "few days off" at an undisclosed location, according to her management, before returning to chilly Europe.

Her next tennis assignment is Serbia's Fed Cup tie against Japan in Belgrade on February 7-8.

But the tall right-hander's priority will be to secure a full-time coach as soon as possible.

"In the near future, I really would like to make a decision. It's important. Being without a coach for so long, it's a little bit tough," Ivanovic said after Friday night's 7-5 6-7 6-2 loss to Russian Alisa Kleybanova in the third round.

"You just need some direction sometimes and that's something I felt was missing in my game," she said.

Her manager, Gavin Versi, said Ivanovic was seeking a former player but, understandably, would not mention any names at this stage.

Ivanovic had a stellar 2008, finishing runner-up to Maria Sharapova at last year's Australian Open before winning the French Open over Dinara Safina and reaching the world No1 ranking, which she held for nine weeks before Serena Williams reclaimed it.

The new year has not been as kind.

"Ana has great technique. So we're not looking at someone to change that," Versi said.

"But she needs some work on areas like shot selection, point construction, how to keep improving in those areas.

"Obviously it would be someone who has had success at this level (Grand Slam) and had sustained success on the Tour."

Ivanovic once worked with Australia's current Fed Cup coach David Taylor and has been with another Australian, Sydney fitness trainer Scott Byrnes, since July 2006.

At the start of this year, Ivanovic parted ways with her some-time mentor Sven Groeneveld, who worked with several players sponsored by Adidas.

Versi said Ivanovic's push to appoint a coach was not heightened by her loss to Kleybanova as he had mentioned she was actively looking during her practise sessions at Melbourne Park before the Australian Open began.

He agreed Friday night's loss had spurred his talented young charge into securing a coach as soon as possible.

"Without question, we're talking in weeks rather than months," Versi said.

Ivanovic's first WTA tournament after Melbourne will be the $US2million Dubai Championships starting on February 16.

Unlike the former partnership between Roger Federer and Tony Roche, when the Australian worked with the Swiss champion only around each of the four Grand Slams, Versi said Ivanovic wanted her new coach to travel with her throughout the Tour.

"At first we're looking at pretty much full-time to give her preparation before each tournament and be there courtside," Versi said.

gaviotabr
Jan 26th, 2009, 01:27 AM
Well.. from that article we can draw some conclusions:

1 - They are talking about getting a coach in weeks, not months. So maybe she will start it out by Dubai or so. Good!

2 - She is seeking a former player, who had sustained success on tour and on Grand Slam level. Any guesses?

3 - They know she needs a lot of work on point construction and shot selection. Good! It's from aknowledging the problem that you get the solution. Hope she also gets some work on that serve...

luv_sweetAna
Jan 26th, 2009, 02:00 AM
Thanks for the article.
So good to hear it's gonna take weeks and not months. Ana needs help for yesterday, the sooner she gets it, the sooner she's gonna start finding her game again. And interesting decision of wanting a former player who's been on the tour before, that might help a lot as he can share his experiences with her.

bruce goose
Jan 26th, 2009, 02:30 AM
Well.. from that article we can draw some conclusions:

1 - They are talking about getting a coach in weeks, not months. So maybe she will start it out by Dubai or so. Good!

2 - She is seeking a former player, who had sustained success on tour and on Grand Slam level. Any guesses?

3 - They know she needs a lot of work on point construction and shot selection. Good! It's from aknowledging the problem that you get the solution. Hope she also gets some work on that serve...:D Better news than we've had in a while...a few points:

1.We shouldn't blame Sven,IMO,for being essentially,a part-time coach as Ana is an ADULT who could've sought full-time coaching at any point if she'd really wanted it.
2.I'm not familiar with Ana's relationship with former coach Taylor,whether it was full- or part-time.Regardless,even though Ana hasn't shown much polish as a player,she's probably matured somewhat as a PERSON since working with Taylor---therefore she'd,HOPEFULLY,be more receptive to a dedicated coach than she may've been previously.
3.Lastly,I'm optimistically ASSUMING that Ana is sincere about seeking coaching guidance.If she's only doing this to avoid continued embarrassment within the tennis scene,where even the media is practically begging her to get a coach,then that would mean that her heart wasn't in it and that she'd grow defiant with any person who demanded a complete commitment from her....I dread this last possibility but can't completely discount it after the denial that Ana has displayed for 6-plus months.

Can't overestimate how awesome it would be to see Ana,Maria and Nicole all back and playing to their abilities:bounce:

InsideOut.
Jan 26th, 2009, 08:21 AM
I'm watching Djokovic/Baghidatis.. Djokovic uses the drop shot in such a smart way. Ana was also doing that during Zurich/Linz. She didn't drop shot.. not even once in the AO. It could have been very effective against Kleybanova.

Really? :o

0:47

dmBzROExXO0

jelenacg
Jan 26th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Ana I `m hoping you were watching Fernando today bc this is how you are supposed to play ,aggressive with great serve and FH :worship::worship::worship:

Langers
Jan 26th, 2009, 08:43 AM
How can you people like Kleybanova? She screams cmon after every point in an annoying pitch whether they've hit an UE or she's hit a winner.

Dokic! :yeah: Soooo glad she won.

Dexter
Jan 26th, 2009, 09:12 AM
How can you people like Kleybanova? She screams cmon after every point in an annoying pitch whether they've hit an UE or she's hit a winner.
Let's be honest here, so does Ana.

gaviotabr
Jan 26th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Really? :o

0:47

So once.. and a terrible drop shot.. I still think it could have been effective against Kleybanova.

gaviotabr
Jan 26th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Ana I `m hoping you were watching Fernando today bc this is how you are supposed to play ,aggressive with great serve and FH :worship::worship::worship:

I'm watching him right now (rerun) and wow... what a great performance. I'm truly mesmerized. Murray is a smart player on court, and he just couldn't figure out a way, Verdasco just toyed with him.

And it looks a bit like how Ana played in Roland Garros.. a lot of running around the backhand to hit an inside out forehand. Some cluch serving, good point construction. Also some great saves.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jan 26th, 2009, 11:28 AM
hmmm....i'm still waiting for the pheonix in ana to rise...i still think all she needs is ONE match against a decent opponent where she wins because she played decent, not necessarily great, but just a decent solid win...if she was able to pull it out against kleybanova i think that would have been the match to help bring back the confidence slowly but surely...i'm not gonna get to discouraged cause i still think will be a great champ....on to our next tournie in (plz insert for me lol :lol: )

:yeah:

Dexter
Jan 26th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Once again guy from a tennis couple enjoys success after they broke up, girl sucks. :lol: Other examples: Gonzalez & Dulko, Moya & Pennetta, Stepanek & Hingis, Melzer & Myskina etc etc etc.

bruce goose
Jan 26th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Once again guy from a tennis couple enjoys success after they broke up, girl sucks. :lol: Other examples: Gonzalez & Dulko, Moya & Pennetta, Stepanek & Hingis, Melzer & Myskina etc etc etc.Actually,'Nando started improving even when they first started getting close to each other...and Ana sucked before she ever met him...so your formula sort of failed this time;).Then we have Chris Evert and John Lloyd...she was never too shabby and HE always WAS shabby...and Seles/Gambill was the complete opposite,success-wise,post-relationship.I sure hope that Ana isn't using FV as an excuse for poor play...all we need is more denial:eek:

jonnyroyale_13
Jan 27th, 2009, 02:33 AM
We definitely watched two completely different matches.

Sorry to edit your post , but it was long.:p
We watched the same match, just a different opinion.
Ill throw Ana under the bus when she plays like in the first round, or when she plays like the Vinci match. But this Kleybanova one, Im content knowing she gave her 150% effort, and seeing the best shes played this year. She did all she could with what she had. There isnt any sport where someone can produce the same level everyday. You go with what you got on a particular day, and fight to the end. I watched this match alone early in the morning before sun came up, with neighbors probably getting pissed at me clapping loudly and yelling come on! It was just good to see Ana putting on a show again, and fighting her butt off. This match was a real fight and it was fun.

I sort of can understand how people have these high expectations for her level of play. The problem is: when has she EVER played a whole week at a high standard? Her greatest matches are sloppy and full of drama. Every title she won, there has been a few of these matches during that week. Would you rather watch an efficient digging of Petrova's grave in the LA final:yawn: or sloppy drama in the JJ LA SF match?:drool:

jelenacg
Jan 27th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Yes she is a fighter,she fights until the end,never gives up...but come on we all know fighting spirit won`t get you anywhere if you don`t have anything else to back it up
With no serve,good FH,good returns she can`t beat a average player
So whats the point of fighting when in the end you know what the result will be
I`m sick of her fighting without taking any risks without going for her shots and making me watch her 3h long struggle against some shitty player :fiery::lol::lol:

gaviotabr
Jan 27th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Yes she is a fighter,she fights until the end,never gives up...but come on we all know fighting spirit won`t get you anywhere if you don`t have anything else to back it up
With no serve,good FH,good returns she can`t beat a average player
So whats the point of fighting when in the end you know what the result will be
I`m sick of her fighting without taking any risks without going for her shots and making me watch her 3h long struggle against some shitty player :fiery::lol::lol:

I'm with you here Jelena. If at least she was strong enough mentally to pull it out even playing like crap... but all the fight in the world to just lose anyway doesn't amuse me at all. Especially when she retreats to being passive... :tape:

InsideOut.
Jan 27th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Would you rather watch an efficient digging of Petrova's grave in the LA final:yawn: or sloppy drama in the JJ LA SF match?:drool:

Efficient digging of Petrova's grave. :shrug: I fear I might suffer cardiac arrest soon all that drama keeps coming. :sobbing:

jonnyroyale_13
Jan 27th, 2009, 10:06 PM
i read through the whole thread... damn, i was the only one that liked the match:sobbing:. Maybe im too easy on her. I know you all are frustrated, and i feel your pain.:hug:

InsideOut.
Jan 28th, 2009, 10:27 AM
I actually also liked the match; best she's played this year IMO. All her previous opponents were scrubs; against Kleybanova Ana fought very hard but totally melted in the third set.

gaviotabr
Jan 28th, 2009, 11:54 AM
I actually also liked the match; best she's played this year IMO. All her previous opponents were scrubs; against Kleybanova Ana fought very hard but totally melted in the third set.

I think Ana fought very hard.. but she was nowhere near playing well. Still.. she should have won that first set, all she had to do is be a bit more focused on the important points. Apart from that she went on a total mental walkabout to lose 7 games in a row. In the second set, when she got her comeback going she was playing close to well.. no really there, but close. She was moving Kleybanova, coming foward and being more agressive, especially in the returns. I remember when Kleybanova served at 3-0 in the second, Ana just ripped 3 great returns of serve to go 0-40. She shoudl have tried that more ofter during the match. And then in the third set, instead of keeping it up, she regressed to the play that had lost her the first set. That was bad pushing.. it was not even good pushing. And some very bad shot selection. Sure, Kleybanova was murdering the ball, and Ana has always had trouble with big hard hitters, but still.. After losing 2 GPs and her serve to go down 2-4 in the third, she went on a second mental walkabout. She lost all concentration. As you said, she melted in the third from that point on. This is what lost her the match in the end. And what has been losing her many matches. Ana needs to sort out her head and her mental game, she needs to be mentally strong and composed when she needs to, be able to put silly errors behind her. I think if she was just a bit tougher she would have won... but hey, she wasn't.

I agree though, that from 0-3 to 7-6 in the second set Ana played the best she has played this year. Still far from playing well.

jelenacg
Jan 29th, 2009, 04:47 AM
Dementieva is such a mental midget that i have no words to describe it
I actually feel sorry for her,she is in better form than Serena ,she beat her in last 3 matches,last one pretty convincely but I guess it`s not good enough for her
She was never near,such waste of talent,other girl would have 4-5 GS alredy

gaviotabr
Jan 29th, 2009, 04:51 AM
Dementieva is such a mental midget that i have no words to describe it
I actually feel sorry for her,she is in better form than Serena ,she beat her in last 3 matches,last one pretty convincely but I guess it`s not good enough for her
She was never near,such waste of talent,other girl would have 4-5 GS alredy

Yes.. such a pity. Dementieva's groundstrokes are just so solid. She can hit on the run, has great defense. But those ocasions always gets to her... Serena is the polar opposite. She grows in these opportunities.

Dementieva's serve was terrible today.. I have chills everytime the commentators compare Ana's serve to hers.. :sobbing:

jelenacg
Jan 29th, 2009, 04:59 AM
Yes.. such a pity. Dementieva's groundstrokes are just so solid. She can hit on the run, has great defense. But those ocasions always gets to her... Serena is the polar opposite. She grows in these opportunities.

Dementieva's serve was terrible today.. I have chills everytime the commentators compare Ana's serve to hers.. :sobbing:

Don`t mention Ana`s serve,its too painful :sad::sad:
And who told Dementieva that she knows how to hit a drop shot:lol::lol:
8 DF in second set :tape:
I think Serena is going to win this ,Safina(i think she is going to defeat Vera) doesn`t have the game to hurt Serena
She just hits every ball as hard as possible

gaviotabr
Jan 29th, 2009, 05:12 AM
Don`t mention Ana`s serve,its too painful :sad::sad:
And who told Dementieva that she knows how to hit a drop shot:lol::lol:
8 DF in second set :tape:
I think Serena is going to win this ,Safina(i think she is going to defeat Vera) doesn`t have the game to hurt Serena
She just hits every ball as hard as possible

I also think Serena is going to win, no matter who she faces. She is just so much more mentally strong than anyone else, and IMO slam finals are much more about being strong and focused than about form. Apart from that, Serena has stepped it up a lot in the third set against Sveta and in this match against Lena D. She played really well, with controlled agression. Truth is, Serena just brings it in the later stages of a slam.

jelenacg
Jan 29th, 2009, 05:21 AM
I also think Serena is going to win, no matter who she faces. She is just so much more mentally strong than anyone else, and IMO slam finals are much more about being strong and focused than about form. Apart from that, Serena has stepped it up a lot in the third set against Sveta and in this match against Lena D. She played really well, with controlled agression. Truth is, Serena just brings it in the later stages of a slam.

If she doesn`t loose in first week of GS she will make at least SF
And yes she did play better ,but not near that level at US open 08
I`m not saying this bc Ana has lost but competition is not the best ,last year was much more competitive that`s why I`m even more mad at Ana :lol:
But good for Serena she knows how to use her chances and she is so much more mentally tougher than anybody else

gaviotabr
Jan 29th, 2009, 05:26 AM
If she doesn`t loose in first week of GS she will make at least SF
And yes she did play better ,but not near that level at US open 08
I`m not saying this bc Ana has lost but competition is not the best ,last year was much more competitive that`s why I`m even more mad at Ana :lol:
But good for Serena she knows how to use her chances and she is so much more mentally tougher than anybody else

Don't even mention Ana.. :tape:

I'm watching Safina-Zvonareva.. And if Ana was playing decent tennis with a better serve she should be playing today. Such wasted opportunity. :tape::mad: No one is playing all that well..

jelenacg
Jan 29th, 2009, 05:34 AM
Don't even mention Ana.. :tape:

I'm watching Safina-Zvonareva.. And if Ana was playing decent tennis with a better serve she should be playing today. Such wasted opportunity. :tape::mad: No one is playing all that well..

This AO is more like who is sucking less than who is playing better :lol:
Safina`s movement is not very good or is it my impression after seeing Serena ,who you never expect to return some balls and who is always moving good in crucial moments:worship:

gaviotabr
Jan 29th, 2009, 05:43 AM
This AO is more like who is sucking less than who is playing better :lol:
Safina`s movement is not very good or is it my impression after seeing Serena ,who you never expect to return some balls and who is always moving good in crucial moments:worship:

Safina is not a great mover, but she is hitting the ball so hard while being able to keep it inside the court, that Zvonareva is not being able to do much.

Serena always amazes me with her movement. You look at her and she seems heavy, but she can make some great saves, and a lot of running. She is fast.

bruce goose
Jan 29th, 2009, 05:57 AM
Safina is not a great mover, but she is hitting the ball so hard while being able to keep it inside the court, that Zvonareva is not being able to do much.

Serena always amazes me with her movement. You look at her and she seems heavy, but she can make some great saves, and a lot of running. She is fast.Check the archives and you'll see that I picked Serena to win here after she lost so decisively in Sydney.No doubt she used it as motivation.Had Serena WON Sydney,she wouldn't be here right now.Like Ana,Serena struggles with back-to-back success at times...although SW's problems aren't nearly as acute.

I'm not changing my pick,but Dinara IS capable of beating Serena(I don't believe Vera could in this setting).I point to two things: (1)Safina defeated SW in Berlin even though she was playing well w/o lots of unforced errors(though it WAS on clay),and it's rare that anyone beats a strong-playing Serena....This should give her confidence(2)The formula doesn't always hold;at Wimby 2004,an experienced Serena may've come in over-confident and got smacked all over the court in the final by an inexperienced yet hungry young Sharapova.......Having said this,I still like my original Serena pick;it's just not as automatic as some people are making it,and Serena doesn't need to hit 200 UEs to lose to Dinara

gaviotabr
Jan 30th, 2009, 12:57 AM
Check the archives and you'll see that I picked Serena to win here after she lost so decisively in Sydney.No doubt she used it as motivation.Had Serena WON Sydney,she wouldn't be here right now.Like Ana,Serena struggles with back-to-back success at times...although SW's problems aren't nearly as acute.

I'm not changing my pick,but Dinara IS capable of beating Serena(I don't believe Vera could in this setting).I point to two things: (1)Safina defeated SW in Berlin even though she was playing well w/o lots of unforced errors(though it WAS on clay),and it's rare that anyone beats a strong-playing Serena....This should give her confidence(2)The formula doesn't always hold;at Wimby 2004,an experienced Serena may've come in over-confident and got smacked all over the court in the final by an inexperienced yet hungry young Sharapova.......Having said this,I still like my original Serena pick;it's just not as automatic as some people are making it,and Serena doesn't need to hit 200 UEs to lose to Dinara

I'm not dismissing Dinara.. and I hope Serena doesn't do it either. I always thought that Serena lost that Wimbledon final to Sharapova because of 2 main reasons:

1 - Great play by Sharapova.
2 - Serena underestimated her opponent.

Dinara certainly has weapons to hurt Serena's game.. she hits hard and goes for her shots. If they are landing in and she is serving well, she definitely has a chance. I just think Serena is too strong and is probably going to up her level once again to play the final.

Sectumsempra
Jan 30th, 2009, 01:10 PM
anas ranking will drop :( please do well @ rg :tape:

gaviotabr
Jan 30th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Whatever Ana did to Verdasco.. or the break up.. motivated him to no end. The guy is just playing lights out.

jelenacg
Jan 30th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Whatever Ana did to Verdasco.. or the break up.. motivated him to no end. The guy is just playing lights out.

What a match :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:
This just shows you what is a player without and with confidence(Ana :rolleyes::rolleyes:)
But really great great match
Our commentator during 4 set TB refering to Fernando This man doesn`t know how to miss :lol::lol:

Nikkiri
Jan 30th, 2009, 01:45 PM
More proof Ana needs a new brain. :rolls: breaking up with Nando, girl is crazy. :angel:

gaviotabr
Jan 30th, 2009, 02:05 PM
What a match :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:
This just shows you what is a player without and with confidence(Ana :rolleyes::rolleyes:)
But really great great match
Our commentator during 4 set TB refering to Fernando This man doesn`t know how to miss :lol::lol:

Yes.. he is going for his shots. A lot of confidence.. and determination.

He is serving at 4-5, let's see if he can handle the pressure.

gaviotabr
Jan 30th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Yes.. he is going for his shots. A lot of confidence.. and determination.

He is serving at 4-5, let's see if he can handle the pressure.

Double faulted to lose the match. How Ana of him..

Marilyn Monheaux
Jan 30th, 2009, 02:11 PM

:rolls::sobbing:

The match was EPIC!!!!:worship:

jelenacg
Jan 30th, 2009, 02:19 PM

:haha::haha::haha:
But still its better that Nadal won,Federe would easily beat Fenando and now we will have a great final
Nadal jumping the net to give Fernando a hug :inlove::inlove:
I really like him he is such a good guy :hug:
I don`t know what impresses me more,the fact that Fernando hit 95 winners or that Nadal made 25 UE in 5h

Marilyn Monheaux
Jan 30th, 2009, 02:38 PM
^^I hope you're right!
Nadal must be so freaking tired right now! The match was sooo intense and Fed could watch it in his 5star hotel, enjoying every minute off it and laughing himself to sleep...:sad:
Hopefully Rafa manages to recover in time for the final or I fear Fed-Ex will make it a short one...

gaviotabr
Jan 30th, 2009, 02:39 PM
:haha::haha::haha:
But still its better that Nadal won,Federe would easily beat Fenando and now we will have a great final
Nadal jumping the net to give Fernando a hug :inlove::inlove:
I really like him he is such a good guy :hug:
I don`t know what impresses me more,the fact that Fernando hit 95 winners or that Nadal made 25 UE in 5h

Both amazing feats. Fernando really dictated play throughout the whole match, and Nadal showed his amazing defensive skills. It was a great semifinal.

Hopefully Rafa will recover well in time for the final. Playing 5 hours is very draining both mentally and physically.

gaviotabr
Jan 30th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Hey, I didn't know that Ana is just one of 2 players to become number 1 the week after winning their first Grand Slam title! She is in good company: Martina Navratilova.

I read it in an article about tomorrow's woman's final:

Serena is an impressive 9-3 in Grand Slam finals, which puts Safina's back against the wall.

The Russian is hoping to become only the third player to become No1 the week after winning her first Grand Slam title, following Navratilova and Ana Ivanovic in the record books.

Nice stat.

Dexter
Jan 30th, 2009, 02:42 PM
How Ana of him..Lmfao.

Fabulous match. I came back home at 1pm CET expecting it to be over and it was only at 4 all in the 3rd. Some of the shots Nando hit in the 4th set were SICK!!!!!!!!!!!1 Too bad he faultered, but it was one heck of a match. :hearts:
I still can't stand Nadal. :( I have great respect for him, but I just can't stand him. Everything puts me off... his face, his wrestler arms, his smile, his greasy hair... even shirtless his chest looked terrible! He's a great sport and I bet his nice off the court (he looks like that) but I just can't stand him [/rantend]
Vamos Roger!

Dexter
Jan 30th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Hey, I didn't know that Ana is just one of 2 players to become number 1 the week after winning their first Grand Slam title! She is in good company: Martina Navratilova.
I read it in an article about tomorrow's woman's final:
Nice stat.Just a confirmation that Ivanović = GOAT :worship:

I'm pulling for Dinara tomorrow. I like Serena, but I prefer Dinara way better and I love first time GS winners. To help, I won't watch this match just like I haven't watched RG final last year. Whenever I do, the player I back up losses... The last time my favourite in a GS didn't lose was RG final in 2006. I missed RG last year and US Open 2007 & 08 and the player I cheered for won. So allez Dinara! :p

gaviotabr
Jan 30th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Just a confirmation that Ivanović = GOAT :worship:

I'm pulling for Dinara tomorrow. I like Serena, but I prefer Dinara way better and I love first time GS winners. To help, I won't watch this match just like I haven't watched RG final last year. Whenever I do, the player I back up losses... The last time my favourite in a GS didn't lose was RG final in 2006. I missed RG last year and US Open 2007 & 08 and the player I cheered for won. So allez Dinara! :p

I think I'll be rooting for Serena. I'm a bit torn here, because I'm not really a fan of either, but I think Serena would be a better number 1. This thing of the number 1 going around through more and more players just takes a bit from it.. and I feel that Serena having 2 slam titles and a final in her ranking should be a very deserving and more stable number 1.

gaviotabr
Jan 30th, 2009, 03:04 PM
By the way, I've never seen Melle more pumped up. He is always so quiet and serious in Ana's matches. He was even standing sometimes in Verdasco's box. Sven was pumped up too.. but then again he normally is! :lol:

I guess Ana is not practising at all this week, with Melle probably hitting with Verdasco.

jelenacg
Jan 30th, 2009, 03:07 PM
I think I'll be rooting for Serena. I'm a bit torn here, because I'm not really a fan of either, but I think Serena would be a better number 1. This thing of the number 1 going around through more and more players just takes a bit from it.. and I feel that Serena having 2 slam titles and a final in her ranking should be a very deserving and more stable number 1.
:worship:
I think Serena is going to win and I don`t give Dinara any chance well maybe little;)
I also didn`t watch RG final i was so scared, my brother called me after second set to tell me she won and not to worry bc she is playing great and I still didn`t watched it until 5-3 in second set:lol::lol:

The Daviator
Jan 30th, 2009, 04:24 PM

:rolls:

Rafa :banana: He's probably gonna get mauled by Rog, but still awesome win and through to the AO final :D

By the way, I've never seen Melle more pumped up. He is always so quiet and serious in Ana's matches. He was even standing sometimes in Verdasco's box. Sven was pumped up too.. but then again he normally is! :lol:

I guess Ana is not practising at all this week, with Melle probably hitting with Verdasco.

Was Melle the guy in the green shirt? He was really intense :eek: Seeing Sven made me a bit sad, I don't like him in anyone's box but Ana's :lol:

As for the final, I'm rooting for Serena of course :cool: She's my 2nd fave active player after Ana but I'm worried about Dinara, lots of people are saying Serena is a surefire winner, but I'm :unsure:

The Daviator
Jan 30th, 2009, 04:26 PM
I think Serena is going to win and I don`t give Dinara any chance well maybe little;)
I also didn`t watch RG final i was so scared, my brother called me after second set to tell me she won and not to worry bc she is playing great and I still didn`t watched it until 5-3 in second set:lol::lol:

I was actually so calm watching that RG final, I just knew Ana would win :lol: I'm usually so pessimistic about like every match, I was even worried about the Cetkovska match :tape: But I was quite confident that day :eek: Ah, that was such a great moment, she played a great final, now look at her :(

gaviotabr
Jan 30th, 2009, 04:38 PM
:rolls:
Was Melle the guy in the green shirt? He was really intense :eek: Seeing Sven made me a bit sad, I don't like him in anyone's box but Ana's :lol:

As for the final, I'm rooting for Serena of course :cool: She's my 2nd fave active player after Ana but I'm worried about Dinara, lots of people are saying Serena is a surefire winner, but I'm :unsure:

No, the guy in the green shirt is a friend of Verdasco I think. He was also in Brisbane. Melle is the bald guy who was sitting just in front of Sven and next to the guy in the green shirt.

I also feel a bit jelous of Sven.. :lol: But I guess with Ana's new coach we won't be seeing much of him anymore.

gaviotabr
Jan 30th, 2009, 04:42 PM
I was actually so calm watching that RG final, I just knew Ana would win :lol: I'm usually so pessimistic about like every match, I was even worried about the Cetkovska match :tape: But I was quite confident that day :eek: Ah, that was such a great moment, she played a great final, now look at her :(

I was also very confident about the final. I watched it all and it was so good. Ana played very well.. I miss Roland Garros Ana. :sobbing:

InsideOut.
Jan 30th, 2009, 04:43 PM
For the final, Serena must win. Dinara cannot join the elite group consisting of two GOATs. :rolls: Ana with Martina :yeah:

:hug: to Nando

Sorry to Dexter for abusing Dinara yesterday :sobbing:

[/rant]

I really want to know who Ana's coach is.:(

InsideOut.
Jan 30th, 2009, 04:44 PM
I was also very confident about the final. I watched it all and it was so good. Ana played very well.. I miss Roland Garros Ana. :sobbing:

I was confident too but when she went from *4-1 40-30 to 4-4 I was really scared. :sobbing: I was very worried about the Cetkovska match too, I remember. I felt sick. She bagelled Benesova and Bondarenko so I was really very scared of her. :o

The Daviator
Jan 30th, 2009, 04:58 PM

Looking back I can't believe how relaxed I was :rolls: Of course she had to blow a *4-1 lead, nothing can be straightforward with Ana :help: Even still, I felt she'd break at 4-4, she was just too good for Safina in all aspects that day, that RG final was actually high quality, the winners-errors ratio was good, that Ana was a true, deserving #1 :( Hope she comes back :rolls:

I was confident too but when she went from *4-1 40-30 to 4-4 I was really scared. :sobbing: I was very worried about the Cetkovska match too, I remember. I felt sick. She bagelled Benesova and Bondarenko so I was really very scared of her. :o

I was worried about the Cetkovska match for some irrational reason, I don't know, and then I logged on here and saw a double bagel :spit: Was worried about Patty of course, and then JJ, I followed the livescore and left to go home with JJ up 2-0 in the 3rd I was so upset and sure Ana would lose, thank &*£# she pulled that match out :haha:

jelenacg
Jan 30th, 2009, 05:03 PM

I was also afraid of Cetkovska
In first game she had 30-0 on Ana`s serve and I was like here we go...:bolt: expecting a very tough match
Last time I was calm before Ana`s match was in AO semifinal ,after 0-3 i was still calm but after 0-6 0-2 i was :banghead::banghead:
That match totally changed me,after that i`m never calm before her match :lol::lol:

Marilyn Monheaux
Jan 30th, 2009, 06:14 PM

I went shopping during her final because I knew I couldn't stand watching it live:angel:
I even went with a friend who doesn't know nothing about tennis, so I couldn't freak her out as well:lol: But then I almost started getting hyteric when I sat on my train back home and googled her result via my cellphone:rolls:
Trust me, the people in the train where giving me looks like "What the hell????" because I couldn't stop smiling:lol:

gaviotabr
Jan 30th, 2009, 07:49 PM
I just read an article about tomorrow's final, and they mention last year's Roland Garros final. I found it a bit presumptious from Dinara's coach:

http://www.watoday.com.au/news/sport/tennis/australian-open/mind-games/2009/01/31/1232818740311.html

Against Williams, player and coach agree that Safina's unexpected French Open finals experience against Ivanovic will be invaluable. She now feels she has proved herself, and belongs among the elite, whereas in June it had all happened so quickly that mentally she was at once exhausted and unprepared. If she wins, a chocolate cake will be her reward.

"The tennis is not a problem; Dinara can play a great tennis, it's just that she has to handle the finals atmosphere, everything about the grand slam final," said Krajan. "Dinara lost to Ana not because Ana played better tennis, but just because Dinara didn't know how to deal with the final.

"It was the first time for her, and it's easy to say 'it's just a final', but it is very tough to handle it, and I think she's better for this now. It's tough to say she's a better player than Serena, but I would say she has more game at the moment. She is fitter and she puts the damage in the shots. Serena has had better results, and she is overall a bigger player, bigger name and everything, but Dinara has very big tennis and I think she has a good chance in the final."

Ana played much much better tennis than Safina in the entire tournament, let alone in the final. It could have even been a more confortable scoreline if Ana didn't let her first set lead slip with some UEs. I find normal for him to blame nerves... but to say that Ana won not because she was playing better tennis, that was very classless.

bruce goose
Jan 30th, 2009, 08:17 PM
I just read an article about tomorrow's final, and they mention last year's Roland Garros final. I found it a bit presumptious from Dinara's coach:

http://www.watoday.com.au/news/sport/tennis/australian-open/mind-games/2009/01/31/1232818740311.html

Ana played much much better tennis than Safina in the entire tournament, let alone in the final. It could have even been a more confortable scoreline if Ana didn't let her first set lead slip with some UEs. I find normal for him to blame nerves... but to say that Ana won not because she was playing better tennis, that was very classless.Well,I'm not offended at all that Krajan is making statements that might help Dinara get in the right mindset and build her confidence for a GS final.If Ana weren't so lousy right now,then his words wouldn't seem so plausible.I'll bet that Sven's press statements last year--that Ana didn't need any counselling--were ALSO scripted for his player's benefit.I've heard words that were MUCH stronger than these,so I'm not gonna get worked up over this.The BEST way for Ana to earn respect is ON THE COURT

gaviotabr
Jan 30th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Well,I'm not offended at all that Krajan is making statements that might help Dinara get in the right mindset and build her confidence for a GS final.If Ana weren't so lousy right now,then his words wouldn't seem so plausible.I'll bet that Sven's press statements last year--that Ana didn't need any counselling--were ALSO scripted for his player's benefit.I've heard words that were MUCH stronger than these,so I'm not gonna get worked up over this.The BEST way for Ana to earn respect is ON THE COURT

Still classless...

jelenacg
Jan 30th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Look its not easy for him or Dinara,everybody has already given Serena her 10 GS title,we even have thread in GM `does Dinara have any chance against Serena or something like that`
He is a good trainer he knows,Ana was better in that final
Many people say that kind of things Sven :rolleyes: ,JJ said Ana just had luck with some FH shots in the end of the match(still don`t know if she said that really,i`ve only read that in some Serbian newspaper
But true or not my first reaction was Honey that`s called talent not luck :lol::lol:

bruce goose
Jan 30th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Still classless...Not nearly as bad as when Serena gives ZERO credit to opponents who've just beaten her...and THAT apparently doesn't bother you too much or else you wouldn't be cheering for her.

You can't blame people for not respecting Ana's game too much;she hasn't EARNED that respect with her cavalier attitude towards improving her performance...or with the way that she just mentally zones out during matches.To sOME people,it's hard to admire athletes who have so much physical talent and do so little to refine it.That's one reason that I can understand why some other fans don't like Ana very much...although some go too far with the personal insults

jelenacg
Jan 30th, 2009, 08:41 PM
First of all she dosn`t have `cavalier attitude towards improving her performance`
Some people are mental midgets you can`t change that ,Ana isn`t one of them
And that`s not the reason people don`t like Ana

gaviotabr
Jan 30th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Not nearly as bad as when Serena gives ZERO credit to opponents who've just beaten her...and THAT apparently doesn't bother you too much or else you wouldn't be cheering for her.

You can't blame people for not respecting Ana's game too much;she hasn't EARNED that respect with her cavalier attitude towards improving her performance...or with the way that she just mentally zones out during matches.To sOME people,it's hard to admire athletes who have so much physical talent and do so little to refine it.That's one reason that I can understand why some other fans don't like Ana very much...although some go too far with the personal insults

I think you are missing my point here bruce. This is not about respecting Ana's game or not. This is exactly about dismissing someone's performance in a particular match. You should always give credit to your opponent. This has nothing to do with Ana's current slump. You talk about Serena not giving credit to her opponent, well, this is worse. And this is press talk.. he can say whatever he wants to Dinara to cheer her up and make her believe in herself. But showing some sportmanship to the press doesn't hurt. Just because Ana is not playing well at the moment doesn't take away the fact that she played great at Roland Garros.

It's like saying that Ana only lost to Henin in 2007 because of nerves. C'mon..

I'm not a fan of Serena or Dinara.. I just said that I probably would be cheering for Serena because I think the number 1 ranking would be more stable and in more acomplished hands. I think all this sharing of the number 1 ranking takes value away from it. But if Dinara wins, all power to her, she will have deserved it.

bruce goose
Jan 30th, 2009, 09:02 PM
I think you are missing my point here bruce. This is not about respecting Ana's game or not. This is exactly about dismissing someone's performance in a particular match. You should always give credit to your opponent. This has nothing to do with Ana's current slump. You talk about Serena not giving credit to her opponent, well, this is worse. And this is press talk.. he can say whatever he wants to Dinara to cheer her up and make her believe in herself. But showing some sportmanship to the press doesn't hurt. Just because Ana is not playing well at the moment doesn't take away the fact that she played great at Roland Garros.

It's like saying that Ana only lost to Henin in 2007 because of nerves. C'mon..

I'm not a fan of Serena or Dinara.. I just said that I probably would be cheering for Serena because I think the number 1 ranking would be more stable and in more acomplished hands. I think all this sharing of the number 1 ranking takes value away from it. But if Dinara wins, all power to her, she will have deserved it.Izzy,we're just going to disagree on this one.When Serena gets her ass kicked all over the court(a` la USO 2007)...and then said that her opponent 'made lucky shots',that's a LOT worse than what Krajan said.He simply said that Dinara's nerves were the greater factor in her loss;he didn't say that Ana was a complete NON-factor.

I also disagree that the changes at #1 are bad;I think that it ADDS suspense.There IS a sport where the #1 ranking doesn't change that much:It's called the ATP.I'd watch it right now but I'm busy waiting for a patch of fresh paint to dry,and THAT'S more exciting for me to watch

gaviotabr
Jan 30th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Izzy,we're just going to disagree on this one.When Serena gets her ass kicked all over the court(a` la USO 2007)...and then said that her opponent 'made lucky shots',that's a LOT worse than what Krajan said.He simply said that Dinara's nerves were the greater factor in her loss;he didn't say that Ana was a complete NON-factor.

I also disagree that the changes at #1 are bad;I think that it ADDS suspense.There IS a sport where the #1 ranking doesn't change that much:It's called the ATP.I'd watch it right now but I'm busy waiting for a patch of fresh paint to dry,and THAT'S more exciting for me to watch

Yes.. we definitely have polar opposite understanding and opinion over this matter, so better just stop right here.

bruce goose
Jan 30th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Yes.. we definitely have polar opposite understanding and opinion over this matter, so better just stop right here.Asi es:smooch::hug:

jonnyroyale_13
Jan 30th, 2009, 11:56 PM
For some reason i think Dinara is gonna win. 6-3,7-5 ill say.

bruce goose
Jan 31st, 2009, 12:34 AM
First of all she dosn`t have `cavalier attitude towards improving her performance`

And that`s not the reason people don`t like AnaForgive my use of overly strong language,'Jelena';it's just been frustrating for me when reliable voices in the sport have repeatedly urged Ana to seek help in certain areas...only to have her deny that a problem even exists despite a mountain of evidence that comes in the form of poor play.

You are right that there are some petty,superficial reasons for Ana-hating,but aye DO know some people who admire players like Henin who weren't born with great physical gifts and have worked to overcome those obstacles.These folks are turned off by the fact that Ana has such obvious natural talent yet seems to lack the drive and discipline that make champions.This isn't necessarily fair,of course,since Ana won her first Slam much faster than many other greats have done and she's plenty young enough to smooth out the rough edges in her game

luv_sweetAna
Jan 31st, 2009, 12:50 AM
Totally with you on this one, Gaviota. Pure classless from him.

He said: ''Dinara lost to Ana not because Ana played better tennis, but just because Dinara didn't know how to deal with the final.''

So he's implying that had Dinara dealt with her nerves and the big stage better, she would've been the champion?
Uh, sorry Krajan, but you're wrong.
There was another player at the other side of the net, who was playing MUCH BETTER tennis than your player throughout the whole 2 weeks and played better on that day also. So suck it.
No matter how Dinara played that day, Ana was going to take the trophy no matter what. Give her credit.

InsideOut.
Jan 31st, 2009, 04:42 AM
I just read about Krajan's comments. :( All I can is:

WHAT A BASTARD!

Nikkiri
Jan 31st, 2009, 05:41 AM
"The tennis is not a problem; Dinara can play a great tennis, it's just that she has to handle the finals atmosphere, everything about the grand slam final," said Krajan. "Dinara lost to Ana not because Ana played better tennis, but just because Dinara didn't know how to deal with the final.

jackass. :o

Dexter
Jan 31st, 2009, 08:02 AM
It's classless, but it's something I'd probably say too if I were Dinara' coach. WTA tennis = 95 mental and this kind of craptalk gives Dinara some belief that she could've actually won last year (which I don't believe at all... hard to picture any player able to beat Ana tennis wise @ last year's RG).

bruce goose
Jan 31st, 2009, 08:14 AM
It's classless, but it's something I'd probably say too if I were Dinara' coach. WTA tennis = 95 mental and this kind of craptalk gives Dinara some belief that she could've actually won last year (which I don't believe at all... hard to picture any player able to beat Ana tennis wise @ last year's RG).You can see by Krajan's grammar that he's not a polished English speaker;it would be different if Sharapova said it cuz she's fluent.What I find amusing is that Serena says stuff that's MUCH worse;she says,VERBATIM,that her opponent did NOTHING to beat her....but people are too chickens--t to criticize Serena because she's black American and they all wanna be politically correct with her:rolleyes:.If Ana can just get some wins this will be soon forgotten

Princeza
Jan 31st, 2009, 08:38 AM
He said: ''Dinara lost to Ana not because Ana played better tennis, but just because Dinara didn't know how to deal with the final.''

Doesn't matter, in the end she has the title.
People won't remember this is because 'Dinara was too stressed' otherwise we'd have to question the legitimacy of all GS victories.

Marilyn Monheaux
Jan 31st, 2009, 09:50 AM

AO Final: Serena Williams defeated Dinara Safina 6-0, 6-3

So what is he gonna say now?:devil:

gaviotabr
Jan 31st, 2009, 09:53 AM
This final was so anti-climatic. Serena played amazing tennis.. but really.. I wanted to see more of a match.

gaviotabr
Jan 31st, 2009, 09:54 AM
So what is he gonna say now?:devil:

Dinara played much much much better against Ana than today. She could barely put a first serve in and so many terrible misses. Maybe he will say that she was even less prepared for today...

InsideOut.
Jan 31st, 2009, 10:12 AM
He'll probably say that Dinara ate too much last night and actually wanted to go to the toilet more than win.

jelenacg
Jan 31st, 2009, 11:51 AM
Didn`t see the match but 6-0 6-3 :worship::worship:
On CNN they said most one sided final ever
I thought after her first final she won`t have problems with nerves
`Dinara didn't know how to deal with the final`
I guess she still didn`t learn :haha::haha::haha:

bruce goose
Jan 31st, 2009, 05:17 PM
Folks,I think that some perspective is warranted here:Krajan might want to limit his editorial comments,but he is not Ana's enemy;Ana is her OWN worst enemy.Dinara might have lost badly in the final,yet she won three more games in the 2009 final than Ana did,which is ZERO.In fact,Ana can't even advance far enough in a draw to even PLAY Serena.At this rate,though,she'll get her chance after RG when she's no longer seeded and will be Serena's 1st-round opponent in one of the upcoming tourneys:help::help::help:.We better get used to this from other players(NOT that Dinara made this statement,her COACH did).Gals like JJ will be embarrassed that they lost to someone who can't even make a service ball toss correctly,so you'll hear lots of excuses now for previous losses to Ana:sad:.......Revision:I sincerely hope that the new coach can have an impact BEFORE IW or RG

gaviotabr
Jan 31st, 2009, 05:37 PM
Folks,I think that some perspective is warranted here:Krajan might want to limit his editorial comments,but he is not Ana's enemy;Ana is her OWN worst enemy.Dinara might have lost badly in the final,yet she won three more games in the 2009 final than Ana did,which is ZERO.In fact,Ana can't even advance far enough in a draw to even PLAY Serena.At this rate,though,she'll get her chance after RG when she's no longer seeded and will be Serena's 1st-round opponent in one of the upcoming tourneys:help::help::help:.We better get used to this from other players(NOT that Dinara made this statement,her COACH did).Gals like JJ will be embarrassed that they lost to someone who can't even make a service ball toss correctly,so you'll hear lots of excuses now for previous losses to Ana:sad:.......Revision:I sincerely hope that the new coach can have an impact BEFORE IW or RG

Stop it Bruce. You are talking nonsense in this matter. Just because a player isn't playing well now, doesn't take away the fact that she played great in the past. There is no shame to have lost to Ana, and people should recognise her great play up until Roland Garros last year. Just because she got injured and still couldn't recover mentally from it to play well again doesn't take away the fact that she is a great player who is capable of amazing tennis.

bruce goose
Jan 31st, 2009, 05:46 PM
Stop it Bruce. You are talking nonsense in this matter. Just because a player isn't playing well now, doesn't take away the fact that she played great in the past. There is no shame to have lost to Ana, and people should recognise her great play up until Roland Garros last year. Just because she got injured and still couldn't recover mentally from it to play well again doesn't take away the fact that she is a great player who is capable of amazing tennis.Well,AYE think it's nonsense to mock a player who is MUCH better than Ana--at the PRESENT time--a player who made a GS final...just because of something her COACH said...a comment that Dinara probably wouldn't ever have said in her own right.I understand that there's frustration over Ana's performance--I'M frustrated over it,too--but I've heard Serena,NOT her coach(dad),say a LOT worse regarding other players and nobody complains because they're scared:rolleyes:

gaviotabr
Jan 31st, 2009, 05:57 PM
Well,AYE think it's nonsense to mock a player who is MUCH better than Ana--at the PRESENT time--a player who made a GS final...just because of something her COACH said...a comment that Dinara probably wouldn't ever have said in her own right.I understand that there's frustration over Ana's performance--I'M frustrated over it,too--but I've heard Serena,NOT her coach(dad),say a LOT worse regarding other players and nobody complains because they're scared:rolleyes:

If Serena or whoever mocks Ana or diminishes Ana's acomplishments I will complain if I feel it's worth it. No one here is mocking Dinara because of this. We were only saying that it was classless of Krajan to say what he said, downplaying Ana's part in that particular match.

Dinara didn't play well at all today and probably wasn't prepared mentally... we are just talking about it, and since the subject was fresh, relating it to what Krajan said and how it really doesn't make sense. I understand you like Dinara and feel unconfortable when people don't position themselves favorable to her.. but no need to blame it all on Ana's current slump. It has nothing to do with it.

InsideOut.
Jan 31st, 2009, 06:01 PM
Bruce: That is :bs:. Ana's form is irrelevant to the discussion. It's about being gracious and acknowledging your opponents' efforts, like Ana did about Alisa Kleybanova in her diary. Even Ricardo Sanchez gave credit to Bartoli for beating Jankovic. No one is bashing Dinara here; we're commenting on the classless, unwarranted comments made by her coach. Ana's poor form is unrelated to the despicable attitude of Krajan.

bruce goose
Jan 31st, 2009, 06:12 PM
Bruce: That is :bs:. Ana's form is irrelevant to the discussion. It's about being gracious and acknowledging your opponents' efforts, like Ana did about Alisa Kleybanova in her diary. Even Ricardo Sanchez gave credit to Bartoli for beating Jankovic. No one is bashing Dinara here; we're commenting on the classless, unwarranted comments made by her coach. Ana's poor form is unrelated to the despicable attitude of Krajan.Well,Izzy(Gaviotabr) pretty well touched on it when she said that I'm a Dinara fan also.I think it's misguided for folks to get in an uproar over Krajan's comment when it was probably just poor phraseology on his part.I teach English for a living so I'm almost positive that he just misspoke slightly since he's not a native speaker.He likely only MEANT that Dinara's nerves were the primary cause for her poor play and UEs,NOT that Ana sucked or had no talent.Meanwhile,there are sniveling,spineless cowards who don't complain a whit when Serena CLEARLY states that her opponent did nothing to beat her.They are GUTLESS because they are afraid of being called racists for criticizing Serena

InsideOut.
Jan 31st, 2009, 06:20 PM
Bruce: Yes they are gutless, but I call them like I see them. If Serena is classless, I say so. If Krajan is classless, I say so. So do most people. So don't have a go at us for having a go at Krajan because we certainly do not accept Serena's classless behaviour either.

gaviotabr
Jan 31st, 2009, 06:23 PM
Well,Izzy(Gaviotabr) pretty well touched on it when she said that I'm a Dinara fan also.I think it's misguided for folks to get in an uproar over Krajan's comment when it was probably just poor phraseology on his part.I teach English for a living so I'm almost positive that he just misspoke slightly since he's not a native speaker.He likely only MEANT that Dinara's nerves were the primary cause for her poor play and UEs,NOT that Ana sucked or had no talent.Meanwhile,there are sniveling,spineless cowards who don't complain a whit when Serena CLEARLY states that her opponent did nothing to beat her.They are GUTLESS because they are afraid of being called racists for criticizing Serena

Quit the Serena thing bruce. If Serena ever goes on to criticize Ana, there will be complaints. We are in Ana's forum, we talk about her. If Serena loses to some random player and doesn't give her credit, why would WE, Ana fans, get out of our ways to criticize her? If Krajan was talking about some other player, we would not be talking about it.

And I think he meant exactly what he said. He downplayed Ana's tennis, saying that Dinara did not lose because Ana was playing better, which is simply a lie. Dinara handled that final pretty well.. she fought, hit hard, had some nice shots and served quite well also. Maybe she could have played better.. maybe she was tired as she said.. but hey, Ana played much better the entire tournament, and was clearly superior tennis wise in the final. That's just fact. And he didn't give Ana's tennis its deserved credit.

But we should just stop this discussion.. It's clear that we are not going to agree.. so why keep going with it? Just stop..

bruce goose
Jan 31st, 2009, 06:37 PM
Bruce: Yes they are gutless, but I call them like I see them. If Serena is classless, I say so. If Krajan is classless, I say so. So do most people. So don't have a go at us for having a go at Krajan because we certainly do not accept Serena's classless behaviour either.Izzy just posted that we should bury this and I agree with her.I'm not trying to put you down at all,okay?I'll only re-state that,based on my PERSONAL experience with non-native speakers of a language,it's dangerous to ASSUME to have this Divine insight into what Krajan really meant.He'd have to be pretty stupid if he actually believed that Ana wasn't a good player at RG,and I don't think he's THAT dumb.I think he meant that Dinara's nerves were the primary CAUSE,not that Ana's play had no impact at all.In the same vein,though,I can't prove my suspicion,either,so I'll just respect your rights to hold your beliefs:hatoff:

InsideOut.
Jan 31st, 2009, 06:40 PM
Fair enough.

Hatchet status: buried. :)

jelenacg
Feb 1st, 2009, 01:42 PM
Rafa:worship::worship:
Federer crying :eek::eek::eek::eek:
I don`t like him but man that was tough,i felt sorry for him:sad:
Rafa is totally in his head

bruce goose
Feb 1st, 2009, 01:46 PM
Rafa is totally in his headQuiero invitar 'Rafa' adentro una privada oscura con mis cholos amigos en Juarez:devil:

gaviotabr
Feb 1st, 2009, 01:51 PM
Rafa is totally in his head

Rafa :worship: There is no one stronger mentally than him. The guy is a mental beast.

I also felt for Fed. I almost cried with him.. he is so classy.. he deserves to get his 14th slam and more.

InsideOut.
Feb 1st, 2009, 02:04 PM
Fed :sobbing:

:sad: for tennis.

Marilyn Monheaux
Feb 1st, 2009, 02:12 PM
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm170/MeSuhsie/oz.png
:worship::worship::worship: :worship::worship::worship:

The match was so intense! Such an unbelievable display of brilliant shot-making, rafinesse, power, will and fighting spirit!:worship:

Roger really tried all he could but in the end Rafa's will and determination where just to much....

Still, great effort from him:hug:
He's a real class act and seeing him crying was so sad! I almost cried, too:sad:

And Rafa once again proved that he truely is the deserving No.1 player atm!:yeah:
I'm sure I had several heart attacks during the match:lol: At times I couldn't even watch...

Hats off to both of them for delivering a match worth of a Grand Slam Final:hatoff:

btw. the first set of their match lasted exactly as long as yesterday's entire women's final...:rolls:

gaviotabr
Feb 1st, 2009, 02:17 PM
btw. the first set of their match lasted exactly as long as yesterday's entire women's final...:rolls:

I liked the semi better... but the final was also a great match. The woman's final was very anti-climatic.. and fast.

jelenacg
Feb 1st, 2009, 02:18 PM
Two things are sure,Federer is not going to win that GS title he is missing
Rafa doing it is a matter of time
This being said i wish Federer could win his 14th GS,and then he should retire bc this crying only shows he can`t handle this anymore
I still can`t believe he couldn`t control himself :help: and he also took a little bit of attention Rafa is supposed to get
It`s always like that ,Roger lost it and not Nadal won it

bruce goose
Feb 1st, 2009, 02:25 PM
PATHETIC to see Federer cry like a little girl;he should do like Renee Richards and try to enter the WTA Tour.No wonder he can't beat Nadal anymore.

This wasn't my favorite 'Rafa' match,though:My favorite was the one where he got a triple bagel while pumping his fist the whole time,and then his angry opponent held him down after the match and burned a lit cigar into his skin while R.N. cried out in pain.......Oh,wait a minute,that was a fantasy,not an actual match....my mistake:o

gaviotabr
Feb 1st, 2009, 02:25 PM
Two things are sure,Federer is not going to win that GS title he is missing
Rafa doing it is a matter of time
This being said i wish Federer could win his 14th GS,and then he should retire bc this crying only shows he can`t handle this anymore
I still can`t believe he couldn`t control himself :help: and he also took a little bit of attention Rafa is supposed to get
It`s always like that ,Roger lost it and not Nadal won it

I don't want Fed to retire, he is great for tennis. And sure, Nadal was a bit contained in his celebrations because of how Fed was melting.. but it was an emotional moment.

I also think that Nadal will win all Grand Slams.. he is only missing the Us Open, and he is only improving each season.

Dexter
Feb 1st, 2009, 02:36 PM
:bigcry:
Roger was the final nail to my coffin. What a heartbreaking weekend. :sobbing: He made it even worse crying during the presentation... I felt bad for Rafa, he just couldn't even relish the moment properly. :awww:
To top it all, I watched Brokeback Mountain on TV yesterday and it made me cry for half of the night which resulted into rewatching bits of it again on PC => more tears => sleepless night... etc etc :sobbing:
I don't know who is worse out of crybabies me or Roger? :bigcry:
And I've got an exam tomorrow for which it's hardly possible to prepare as the matter is so ekhm... unlimited. :tape: Obviously, I know shit for this. And the best is that I got a fever (there's some viral epidemic going on in Europe... it must've caught me :scared:).
Jack, I swear... :bigcry:

jelenacg
Feb 1st, 2009, 02:38 PM
I also don`t want him to retire but I can only imagine what will happened next time he looses to Rafa in GS final
Last RG he was sad and i think he finally understood he will never win RG,Wimbledon he was with tears in his eyes and today he was totally destroyed and crying
I also think Federer is playing better and more beautiful tennis but Rafa is built to defeat that kind of play,not to mention Federer today is not what he was 2,3 years ago
Also this match was good but not great,they both made a lot of UE ,especially Federer

Dexter
Feb 1st, 2009, 02:42 PM
I think it was Roger's last GS final, yep.

Marilyn Monheaux
Feb 1st, 2009, 02:50 PM
When thinking about Pete's record, Roger's 13 and Rafa's 6 I just realised that Rafa is only 22 years old:eek:

Dang, he's been around like forever and already accomplished soo much:worship:
Just for comparison, Fed had only 3 Slams by the age of 22...
Let's hope Roger will keep his spirits up and keeps on fighting for that 14, because then we will have this great, great rivalry for a long time!

Oh and I didn't think it was "pathetic" that Roger was crying! He gave all he could but once again Rafa had his number. He now has lost the last 5 times they played and after his loss in Wimby this must be one of the most devastating losses in his career!
He was so close to tie Pete today, I mean, even though he's "just" the No.2 he's still the world's best hard court player and the, by many stated, heavy favourite for the title, especially after Rafa's 5-setter against Nando - and he knew it!
He probaly came out today, thinking it was his to win or lose but it turned out to be Rafa's to win!

I totally understand that he was emotional about it, but I hope he can/will bounce back!

Ps. What I also hope is Djoker and Murray(even though I like him) to not say a peeps, questioning Fed'd form or ability! None of them could hold a candle to the level of play Rafa and Fed showcased today:worship:

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm170/MeSuhsie/ozzy.png

jelenacg
Feb 1st, 2009, 03:06 PM
The one think that totally surprised me he fought hard and won 4th set just to totally loose it in next one
How Ana of him :lol::lol::lol: