PDA

View Full Version : Papa Richard Tells JenCap To Stop Cursing : (Let The Board War Begin, er Continue)

AjdeNate!
Aug 28th, 2002, 03:34 AM
Capriati: Richard Williams 'should concentrate on his daughters'

August 27, 2002

NEW YORK (AP) -- Jennifer Capriati, seeded No. 3 at the U.S. Open behind sisters Serena and Venus Williams, bristled Tuesday night over remarks about her on-court behavior attributed to their father, Richard.

Told that he said in a magazine article that she should stop cursing on the court and should listen to her father, Capriati became angry.

``You can see how ignorant that sounds and how disrespectful that sounds,'' she said. ``I mean he should just concentrate on his daughters -- and he's doing a good job. I don't need his advice.''

After first refusing to comment, Capriati continued to respond.

``He gets away with it,'' she said. ``It's too bad. It's no class. I've never taken personal remarks. I've never said anything personal, just about the game itself. I could say things about them, but I'm not going to because I'm not going to lower myself to that.''

Capriati won her first-round match 6-0, 6-0 and was asked if she ever considered letting up on 17-year-old Bethanie Mattek.

``No,'' she said. ``I'm not out there to feel sorry for anybody. Once you start that, then you never know. It could turn into one game, two games, three games. You just never know.

``It's got to be a lesson, too. She's got to learn. She's got to experience it out there. I mean, it will make her tougher.''

Aug 28th, 2002, 03:40 AM
LMAO

WilliamzX2
Aug 28th, 2002, 03:40 AM
Jennifer, if anyone sounds "ignorant and disrespectful" it's you.. you sure sound the "fool".

and don't use the word "class" because you wouldn't recognize it if it came up and smack you in your loud mouth.

Can we say "anger management" geeeeez!

WilliamzX2
Aug 28th, 2002, 03:42 AM
Stephano can say whatever he wants, it's a free country.. Serena doesn't have to take his advice though... just as Jennifer doesn't have to take Richard's.

J_Migoe
Aug 28th, 2002, 03:42 AM
Attention Williams fans. Please don't respond to this article because you and I know where its going to take us. Just focus on the Williams sisters' tennis at the US Open and pray that they do well. Waste all your energy praying and supporting them. Peace! Let nothing distract us!:bounce: :angel: :angel: :angel: ;) ;)

treufreund
Aug 28th, 2002, 03:43 AM
Richard has NO class. You tell 'em Cappy! Oh what a sweet image it would be if Jennifer could one day win and if Stefano would hold up a sign saying it's Jenny's party and no one is invited. I hope Jenny dances on the court in front of Richard.

Of course if Venus or Serena is losing then Richard ALWAYS gets a phone call so he can leave the stadium. :rolleyes:

What a worthless tennis parent! I don't care what SUCCESS he has. He is NOT CLASSY. Oracene is the role model and no wonder she got RID of that thing.

M2k
Aug 28th, 2002, 03:49 AM
GO Jennifer!! :bounce: :bounce: Richard should remember his behaviour from the L.A. tourny 2 years ago...:rolleyes:

treufreund
Aug 28th, 2002, 03:51 AM
What did he do there?

treufreund
Aug 28th, 2002, 03:54 AM
Also did you notice how Jennifer said that she could say stuff about "them" and not "him". That indicates to me that she holds Venus and Serena responsible for Richard's comments and I find that normal really cuz how many us really think Richard would keep saying those things if Venus and Serena would speak out against that.

just the latest chapter in the CAPRIATIS vs WILLIAMS saga.

Rollo
Aug 28th, 2002, 04:03 AM
In defense of Venus and Serena:Can you really expect them to control their father? If anything he has controlled their lives-not vice versa. They have no more power over him than Jennifer does over her overbearing Dad or Jelena over Damir. It's a pattern. Ask Steffi Graf, another grad of the I survived my father school.

All these fathers have 4 things in common.

1. They raised tennis champions
2. None of their children could shut them up.
3. #1 aside, none have impressed me as nice human beings.
4. All their daughters defend/love them to the end.

CC
Aug 28th, 2002, 04:09 AM
Ah yes, nothing like the good old "Run tell that" by the journalists to get some controversy going.

treufreund
Aug 28th, 2002, 04:16 AM
It's true CC but Richard should not have said that. It's clear to me that Capriati sees the williams as one clan and that she really dislikes them. The friendly exchanges from Serena at the net probably seem phony to Cappy but we know that she and Venus are mortal enemies. I think it's good for the WTA though since now that Hingis is saying all sorts of nice things about the Williams it's only fitting that Momo and Cappy are picking up the slack. Then throw Dokic's weird take on the situation into the mix plus Justine's apparent chagrin at their domination. It's definitely just one big soap opera.

DD
Aug 28th, 2002, 04:18 AM
It's true CC but Richard should not have said that. It's clear to me that Capriati sees the williams as one clan and that she really dislikes them.

and what about you?

DD
Aug 28th, 2002, 04:21 AM
if you think she is bashing cappy then you are mistaking. this man is not stupid. he knows what he is doing. tenniswise i mean.

if you call this man worthless then you know little about tennis.

DD
Aug 28th, 2002, 04:22 AM
treufreund

why are too into this? it doesn't hurt physically or mentally.

treufreund
Aug 28th, 2002, 04:23 AM
In cappy's shoes I might feel the same way. Cappy has probably also heard about Richard's nasty comments towards Lindsay.

But I have to say that Oracene is great and Serena at least SEEMS nicer to Cappy. Don't know about Venus yet. Still I don't think Cappy and the Williams are gonna be goin' out for a Heineken together anytime soon.

HAIL-VENUS
Aug 28th, 2002, 04:24 AM
Once again, Jen falls prey to media contrived controversy. I just hope the Williams Sisters will continue their pattern of ignoring such things and concentrate on their tennis. I'm sure that THEY can say stuff about Jen, but they haven't and probably never will. They're such "classy" ladies. BTW, Jen really SHOULD stop cursing and throwing tantrums on court. It just isn't "classy".

Richie77
Aug 28th, 2002, 04:31 AM
Jen probably shouldn't curse on the court...mainly because if an umpire hears her and he/she is having a bad day, Jen could get a warning or worse.

But you know what? She's not going to. She's well beyond anyone telling her what to do (aside from Stefano, of course). And she's definitely not gonna listen to Richard Williams. He may as well be talking to a cement wall.

lizchris
Aug 28th, 2002, 04:34 AM
When will Jennifer learn to say "no comment?"

I'm glad she doesn't like Venus and Serena. This just gives them one more reason to kick her ass on the court like they have been doing since last August. I think that is making her madder than anything else and if that is the case, then that means the earlier she will be sent packing.

kay
Aug 28th, 2002, 04:44 AM
Jenn is entitled to talk trash right back at Richard, but to bring Venus and Serena into it is stupid because they have never said anything bad about her. The media has her number big time, she bites every time. She doesnt even know if it's true or not, she just takes their word for it and snaps. Will she ever learn?

brickhousesupporter
Aug 28th, 2002, 04:45 AM
Richard is such a smart man. He has just given Venus a 3 love lead when they get on the court. I really don't think the media understands that they fit right into the plan of this genious. Being in the WTA is like being in a hardware store, you are constantly surrounded by tools.

persond
Aug 28th, 2002, 04:47 AM
Originally posted by lizchris
When will Jennifer learn to say "no comment?"

I'm glad she doesn't like Venus and Serena. This just gives them one more reason to kick her ass on the court like they have been doing since last August. I think that is making her madder than anything else and if that is the case, then that means the earlier she will be sent packing.

:) I think the Sisters prefer to take out their hostilities on "Crappy" on the courts by "tapping dat azz"!!!:lick: :lick:

:) Although Richard is an adult, Jenn should at least respect his age, and just ignore his "attempt at home training"!! And, Richard should realize that, at Jenns' age, "home training" is pretty much "futile"!!!:) :) :) :)

Cassius
Aug 28th, 2002, 04:48 AM
Can you really expect them to control their father? If anything he has controlled their lives-not vice versa. They have no more power over him than Jennifer does over her overbearing Dad or Jelena over Damir. It's a pattern. Ask Steffi Graf, another grad of the I survived my father school.
Not true.
They have considerable power over him. They control the flow of money through their household. If they stopped playing, he wouldn't get anymore money.
If the Williams girls walked out on Richard, he would be nothing. Just another mad old man. The only reason anyone's ever heard of him is because of his daughters.
Same with Dokic and Graf.
They could all tell their parents what to do. But they won't. If I was Dokic, I'd tell my dad to get lost. He's causing her nothing but trouble and she's a big girl now, she can take care of herself.
Same with the Williams.
They could easily tell Richard what to do and he'd do it, because they're the ones who're winning everything. Not him. They could easily be in control of their own lives instead of leaving everything up to him.

Cam'ron Giles
Aug 28th, 2002, 04:54 AM
Jenn could say "things about them"...ROTFLMFAO...Can we say "mugg shot"?

People with criminal records should not talk about class...

brickhousesupporter
Aug 28th, 2002, 04:57 AM
Q. Serena how do you feel about Jennifer saying that your father has no class?
Serena: It is her opinion and she is entitled to it, but all I have to say is Jen, puff puff pass.

HAIL-VENUS
Aug 28th, 2002, 04:59 AM
Cassius, why in the world would Venus and Serena stop playing tennis NOW? And they most certainly wouldn't abandon their father because Jen took offense to something he said. That would be totally rididculous. Venus has said before that she's only here to play tennis, and if Richard feels that he has something to say, then he has every right to say it, but she's only here for the tennis. It's not Venus or Serena's job to shut their dad up, and it's unfair for them to take the heat when Richard hurts one of the other girl's feelings. That was plain ignorant for Jen to suggest that she could stoop to Richard's level and say something about his daughters. They didn't make the comment. If anything, say something about Richard, eventhough what he said wasn't that far fetched.

Dawn Marie
Aug 28th, 2002, 05:04 AM
Brickhouse supporter, You just hit the nail on the head! LOl

Speaking of hardware stores... lol

Anyway, Look The Media is trying to start some shit, and Jen is looking a fool, by buying into it.

I mean wtf? Some lameo Media people come to Jen about something Richard supposedly said, and what does the idiot go and do? She goes and makes broad statements, about V@S and how she could talk about them? (JUVENILLE) Excuse me, but I haven't heard S@V talk about Jen?? Jen really should focus on her game, and wise on up and become a mature lady. She knows how the media is, girl ignore the loaded bullshit!

magassi
Aug 28th, 2002, 05:08 AM
Well, IMHO the reporters have now taken Jenn out of this tourney. By asking that question, I don't see how Jenn can compete effectively against Venus (if they meet in the semis). I mean, she has a great win, she looks incredibly fit -- why did they have to ask that question? I don't think anyone in her position (and I doubt anyone on this board has given a press conference) could react positively in knowing someone has spoken about you to the press. And then to blindsided with it after you have a great match. I'm suddenly depressed -- I hate to see the implications of this.

TSequoia01
Aug 28th, 2002, 05:11 AM
I don't know if Richard said this but if he did why? Richard I have found is not very educated but smart as hell. The Sisters would never say anything demeaning with regards to Jen in the press. But will use every energy at their command to defend family and their dad. Is Richard trying to insure the energy level of his girls. Trying to fire up Serena? Trying to divert attention and/or expectation pressures off of Venus and Serena? Who knows, but if he did say it, there are reasons I suspect. :cool:

Cassius
Aug 28th, 2002, 05:12 AM
HAIL-VENUS, I didn't say they would or should stop playing tennis or abandon their dad.
Rollo said that the sisters have NO control over Richard, I was just giving an example of how they DO have control.
Just as Cap and Dokic DO have control over their dad's, whether they know it or not.

The only reason these dad's are where they are today is because of their offspring, so without the offspring they are nothing in world terms. So the offspring DO have a measure of control.
I was just giving an example of that.

AmonRa777
Aug 28th, 2002, 05:12 AM
Since when did suggesting an athlete stop cursing before kids, packed stadiums and tv audiences become "trash talking"...sounds like darn good advice to me..

One final question...since when did Jennifer Crapiati know anything of class...can you say pot, cocaine and steroids..

The truth is Richard has done a great job with all of his kids...they are all well behaved, well spoken and classy people...

You posters that are defending Jenn or trying to glorify her response are way off base...you are as biased as the media that has refused to take her to task for her pathetic and classless on-court behavior and post match interviews, where all sorts of ignorance just seems to ooze from her mouth

Zummi
Aug 28th, 2002, 05:17 AM
Richard has said worse things in the past - e.g. taking Lindsay to the junkyard and sawing off Hingis' legs. Jennifer should have just said "No Comment". I don't know why she fell for this.

FS
Aug 28th, 2002, 05:17 AM
I just hope Jenny would hear this unsolicited advice. It would be to her advantage. She's one of the oldest players on the tour and she should at least start acting like a matured individual on the court.

Jenny can turn criticism to her advantage by acting to it positively.

HAIL-VENUS
Aug 28th, 2002, 05:18 AM
Q. He's often talked about respect. It doesn't appear to be coming the other way, does it, when he says something like this out of leftfield?
JENNIFER CAPRIATI: Yeah. And he gets away with it. It's too bad. It's no class. I've never taken personal remark s -- I've never said anything personal, just about the game itself. But, you know, I could say things about them, but I'm not going to because I'm not going to lower myself to that.

Q. If you were going to lower yourself, what would you say (laughter)?
JENNIFER CAPRIATI: Yeah... That's the whole point, yeah.

Ok, by this point, I guess Jen has figured out what the media was trying to do. Too bad it took so long. She goes on to answer that last question in typical 'Jen' fashion.:p

Rachel
Aug 28th, 2002, 05:20 AM
Way to go Jen, you tell 'im! :)

Cassius
Aug 28th, 2002, 05:23 AM
I agree with TSequoia01. Richard may not be highly educated, but he's definately a clever bastard isn't he? You got to admire the crafty old git for that:D.
He knows what to say and when to say it to niggle his daughters opponents.
Cap, however, seems a bit slow to cotton-on to the fact that she's being set-up by the press.

Cybelle Darkholme
Aug 28th, 2002, 05:23 AM
Treu you are full of crap. Should we hold you resonsible for what your father does? If your father is in a DUI accident and kills someone should we blame you? Whatever. Get a life and realize the only one responsible for Richard Williams is Richard Williams and not his daughters.

I think what he said stinks and he should get off jennifers case, however I think her reply is pathetic. Why in the hell should she say anything about "them" when its Richard who is talking about her? why doesnt she tell HIM to shove it? he's not the one on the court, hes not the tennis player, so where does he get off saying that crap?

Once again when given the chance to show signs of maturity, jennifer stoops to the lowest common denominator, just like Richard. They are two peas in pod, maybe he's her illegitamate father because they sure act alike. Venus and Serena defintely take after their mother. Maybe Jen should learn a thing or two and do the same.

magassi
Aug 28th, 2002, 05:25 AM
Um... when did Jenn use cocaine steroids? What does abusing drugs have to do with class? Some of the most incredible, brilliant, creative minds have used drugs. Are they "classless"? I think this word "class" (within our soocial context) -- which some Williams' fans love to throw around -- should be examined.

Dawn Marie
Aug 28th, 2002, 05:26 AM
Omg, Look Venus and Serena are playing solid tennis. Williams fans let's not waste anymore time debating this old article that probably was said after Jen acted out on Center Court at OZ. And why waste are typing time debating about Jenn, we all know she is a complete and udder ass. Who gives a damn what she thinks, cause fact is V@S are kicking that ass on the court!

I am outta here, cause I am happy with V@S. This is pointless imho.

GO VEE GO RERE

Rachel
Aug 28th, 2002, 05:26 AM
:rolleyes: like Williams Inc. are :angel: 's

Amanda
Aug 28th, 2002, 05:27 AM
Jennifer was foolish to make the statement, "I could say things about them"...... LOL @ her t-baby behavior. The no comment route would have been a lot classier.

Rachel
Aug 28th, 2002, 05:28 AM
LOL but her other commenting makes it so much more interesting ... :p

magassi
What an "intelligent" response... Old Chinese saying: "Never bark back at a mad dog."

Cybelle Darkholme
And for all of you attacking jen, well I'm not one of you. She's a grown woman and if she wants to curse she will. If she gets penalized then I'm sure she's aware of that and is prepared to deal with it. If she wants slam her racket then I say slam away.

She's not hurting anyone and if you're so afraid for the precious ears of your children then don't take them to her matches. She'll probably thank you because then she wont have to listen to your loud ass crying babies breaking her concentration! And I cannot believe I'm defending Jennifer capriati, I must be due for a checkup.:eek:

I am pissed at richard because imo you can't act all greater than thou and holy thee this and that I am a god fearing man of god and then sit there in judgement of jennifer. excuse me but I thought god was supposed sit in judgement? is richard God now?
whatever.

great job with your children but sometimes richard you need to shut the heck up.

CC
Aug 28th, 2002, 05:30 AM
It would have been better if she had told him off and left them out of it.

Amanda
Aug 28th, 2002, 05:36 AM
Thank you CC. Why bring Venus and Serena into this crap? The comment was indeed foolish.

Amanda
Aug 28th, 2002, 05:44 AM
jp--I see that you are also obsessed with commenting.

HAIL-VENUS
Aug 28th, 2002, 05:47 AM
Notice how Jen always reacts the same way when the media tricks her into making controversial statements. She must be obsessed with giving rebuttals to what others have to say about her.

ace78man
Aug 28th, 2002, 05:52 AM
Jen definitely should listen to her father more, but I bet he talks just like Sophia on "The Golden Girls." I can just hear him:

Stefano: Pussycat, you shouldn't behave like that on the court.

Jennifer: Why not?

Stefano: Picture it - Sicily, 1952: A young peasant boy is walking back to his village when he comes across a small goat tied to a fencepost. He suddenly remembers that the next day is his sister's birthday. Since he hasn't yet bought her a present (and since in Sicily, a healthy goat is the equivalent of a Sony Playstation), he decides to steal the goat and give it to his sister as a gift. As he's untying it however, he hears a girl's angry shouts coming from behind him. Not wanting to get caught stealing, he quickly lays on the ground and fakes a seizure (which wasn't very difficult, since his uncle Angelo used to have a seizure every time he heard the theme song from "I Love Lucy").

Jennifer: "I Love Lucy!?!"

Stefano: Hey, Vivian Vance was a sweet girl and all, but with the poor television reception they have over in Italy, she looked like a cross between Rosemary Clooney and Art Garfunkel! But I digress.

Jennifer: So what happened to the boy?

Stefano: He faked the seizure so well that the girl ran to get help. However, when she found out that he was faking the whole thing, she vowed never to speak to him again. Jenny, that peasant boy was me. And that young girl was Sophia Loren.

Jennifer: You're making that up.

Stefano: I am not. I still have a lock of her hair which I was able to rip from her scalp as she was running away from me.

Jennifer: Pa, what the hell is the point of this story!?!

Stefano: Hey, at my age, as long as I can hear myself talking, I know that I'm not dead!

harloo
Aug 28th, 2002, 06:08 AM
Everyone knows Jen has no class, and everyone knows Richard has no class. So what are people arguing about? Jen's behaviour on court has not been very classy at all, but lately it seems like she has cooled down IMO.

Richard and Jen don't care how anyone feels about what they say. I didn't understand what Venus and Serena had to do with Richard though. It seems like Jen was trying to do a low blow attack. However, I think it doesn't matter to the sister's what Jen think about their family. They both will go on and focus on the Open.

Alert!!! This is nothing new people! Richard has been doing this for years. LOL But what I find odd is that the comment didn't come up until now. It seems like some slimy reporter did some intense research to find any dirt and they know Jen is emotionally available so she's the perfect player to entice with negative comments.

IMO, Jen falls for this trick every time and goes off and says something before even thinking. It's such a shame, because she's been on the tour for years and should know how the media works since they have baited her into breaking down in interviews when they brought up her past. However, Jen has not learned and never will IMO. She doesn't care what anyone thinks, so whatever. I don't care what she says about the sister's, but I do feel that she needs to grow up somewhat. JMO.

Richard will always be Richard. He will be outspoken, he will trash other's and he will get attention for it. He doesn't care either, so it doesn't matter in the end. Both of these people think they can say whatever they want. IMO, Jen can and she will get away with it, but Richard will always be heavily criticized for it. It's just the way things are.:) ;) :D

Jericho
Aug 28th, 2002, 06:23 AM
"Richard will always be Richard. He will be outspoken, he will trash other's and he will get attention for it. He doesn't care either, so it doesn't matter in the end. Both of these people think they can say whatever they want. IMO, Jen can and she will get away with it, but Richard will always be heavily criticized for it. It's just the way things are"

actually its more like whatever richard says he gets away with it but the sisters dont, and whatever capriati does she gets away with it but the sisters become apart of it...

harloo
Aug 28th, 2002, 06:38 AM
Oliver I disagree on that point. Whatever Richard says, he will be trashed by the public, tennis community, etc. He says alot of offensive and controversial things concerning race and tennis so the reaction to him is different than Jen's.

Jen is America's comeback kid, who seems to get away with everything from dissing players, to yelling at umpires, screaming at babies etc. Well, you never will see the crowd or commentators really call her on it. She's America's sweetheart which is only a image that they have created in their minds. In their minds she can do no wrong. So, Imo I think she gets away with what she wants too. It's just a priviledge she has.

Rollo
Aug 28th, 2002, 06:38 AM
Cassius: I WOULD agree with you if it were me in Venus, Jen or Jelena's shoes. But we're not them. They were brought up, for good or bad, to be tennis champions. One in a million girls get that far. The tennis world is full of people who will run you over and take advantage of your body, money, and life.

Look at it from Venus(or Jen's,etc) perspective.
Is the WTA looking out for me? The USTA? Other players who advise me to ditch daddy? No, no, no.

Who got me this far? Built my strokes? ALWAYS acts in MY interest, even above my other brothers and sisters? Daddy, daddy. and daddy.

The psychological dynamics of the father-daughter relationship bind these girls to their father's. Even in the face of ridiculous comments (all the dads) and cheating on your mother(Peter Graf, Stefano Capriati, and probably Richard) or even beating her(Richard).

As for money-who do think got Venus and Jen and Steffi their mega endorsements? The fathers all went fishing for dollars.
Until the age of 18 THEY control the money. All these parents were set for life by the time their girl's were 20. Peter Graf went to jail for being creative with Steffi's money. Was Steffi involved? Who knows, but she was trained to be a tennis palyer, not an accountant.

I'll stop at one last thing. Short of physical abuse directed at the girl herself-these girl's stick by their father's. You can count the girl's who have packed up and cut ties with their Dad on one hand. Jaeger, Pierce, and Lucic. All were hit by their father's.

So would you or I tell Richard to put a sock in it? Probably. But we're not them, a one in amillion golden girl.

anton
Aug 28th, 2002, 07:19 AM
Jennifer should stop cursing on the court when she can help it. Richard is right. I mean I can understand maybe if a "$h!+" or something slips out, but to curse loudly while talking to the chiar umpire or referee is totally out of line especially for a lady. Ladies do not behave this way, no matter if they are Italian or not. Kids watch these matches and Jennifer should respect that.

Also Jennifer should learn to say "no comment." By talking back she is giving Richard more attention and her statements were silly.

But what I'm waiting for is the WTA Set-Up Photo Op-Promo Where Jennifer signs a t-shirt for Richard and they hug and kiss ala Martina and Richard at the USOPEN a few years ago(99?)

And to Seles, you really are on the Williams bandwagon I think. Maybe Monica will do something interesting soon.

AjdeNate!
Aug 28th, 2002, 07:30 AM
Anton, what the hell is it with you and bandwagons...get over it for Christ's sake. I thought it was an interesting Jen article, it hadn't been posted - therefore I posted it. You really think you have some great all encompassing wherewithall don't you? I could say you were on my bandwagon...following around every post being critical. If you don't like what I post - don't read it. It's simple. I won't live your double standards.

anton
Aug 28th, 2002, 07:36 AM
You said Williams fans were on a Mauresmo bandwagon so I gues you can give but dont want to take.

AjdeNate!
Aug 28th, 2002, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by anton
Maybe Monica will do something interesting soon.

She does plenty. She won her first round match - extending her streak of NEVER being beaten in a 1st round EVER. She's in print/internet/bus/TV ads for AmEx. She's continuing her charity work with the American Cancer Society - ya know, giving something back. She's quite busy. But, unlike some people, she is not too self-absorbed to talk about herself relentlessly as to drive others mad. She is no longer the young girl who is in the spotlight and has to create drama for headlines. That mantle has been passed.

****But, what the hell does Monica have to do with this topic?***
Another anton bandwagon?.....

AjdeNate!
Aug 28th, 2002, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by anton
You said Williams fans were on a Mauresmo bandwagon so I gues you can give but dont want to take.

Once. I said it once. How many times have you said it?
You are not as perfect and nonassuming as you may think you are. What is your damage anyway? Shouldn't you be spending more time on your favorite, rather than trying to pick fights?

anton
Aug 28th, 2002, 07:50 AM
I dont have a prolem with you. I am just having a discussion and there is no damage. And I don't want to argue. Tennis is getter better and better thanks to the Williams, Jennifer Hingis and Davenport and Seles and a few others. At least ladies' tennis is. So I dont want to argue. I just want to enjoy it. Next time I will PM you to fight. :)

AjdeNate!
Aug 28th, 2002, 07:50 AM
'nuf said. Thanks.

anton
Aug 28th, 2002, 07:52 AM
Also are you really in London? Have you ridden on the "chunnel" which goes from Britian to France underwater. Detail please if so like how far down is it and how fast and how long underwater and can you see the fish and do you think the terrorists will get it?

Williams Rulez
Aug 28th, 2002, 08:43 AM
lol... all this drama is so hilarious... :D

anton
Aug 28th, 2002, 08:45 AM
this reminds me of that article that said that after the Venus-JC match, Brandi, the singer and some other hanger-ons were waiting near the lockerroom and laughing and cheering for Venus and JC started crying.

gentenaire
Aug 28th, 2002, 08:57 AM
What would tennis be without a little drama, eh? ;)

Anton, the name of the tunnel is chunnel, the name of the train that carries cars and trucks that goes through the chunnel is 'Le Shuttle', the name of the high speed passenger train through the chunnel is Eurostar. A ride on Le Shuttle takes 20 minutes. You can get to Paris from London by Eurostar in less than three hours. You cannot see the fish;) I don't think terrorists are interested in the tunnel....and the point is? ;) LOL

smygelfh
Aug 28th, 2002, 09:17 AM
But what I'm waiting for is the WTA Set-Up Photo Op-Promo Where Jennifer signs a t-shirt for Richard and they hug and kiss ala Martina and Richard at the USOPEN a few years ago(99?)

Wasn't that widely perceived as a badly performed act that obviously none of them wanted, especially not Martina?

I'm sure a new setup like that would be quite pathetic, since we all now it will be a fake.

anton
Aug 28th, 2002, 10:48 AM
yea, but it was extremely funny to see Richard and Martina hugging since you know they hated each others guts.

Chance
Aug 28th, 2002, 11:30 AM
Great post Cybelle.
the first round womens match may not be that exciting but behind the scenes its rocking.

IMO Richard should shut it, (though he does have a point) but I can see why cappy got angry-
WTA ROCKS

Beige
Aug 28th, 2002, 12:10 PM
Jenn, Jenn, Jenn. Fire your handlers ASAP! They should've had you groomed already to DEFLECT crap like this. Now it's going to haunt you for the rest of the Open. *Sigh*

http://salacious.de/Smiliez/Gefuehle/Gluecklich/Winken/winken359.gif

CappyMania
Aug 28th, 2002, 12:18 PM
Jenny should kick Richard in the ASS! Crash, Boom, Bang! :D IMHO

Hulet
Aug 28th, 2002, 12:19 PM
hmm...so the thread creator got his/her wish :(

Nimi
Aug 28th, 2002, 12:26 PM
Ok, just a question. State five times that Jenn cursed on court. If she does it every times & deserves the nick name "miss manners" you can SURELY find FIVE TIMES she cursed on court.

Nimi
Aug 28th, 2002, 12:28 PM
Btw, nice post Cybelle.

DEETHELICK
Aug 28th, 2002, 12:32 PM
Good for Jen that she spoke her mind. Richard is entitled to his opinion, but he seems to stir up controversy at this Open (1997, 1999). At least his daughters don't resort to his tactics.

One thing we as fans will truely never know is what happens behind the scenes on the WTA tour. Players have said it can be quite catty in the locker-room etc, so maybe Jen might have a reason to lump the Williams clan as 'them' ???

This is just a theory, as we don't REALLY know what is going on back there....

Stefano has never publicly made comments about Venus or Serena. Even when Jen was on fire (1st half 01). Now imagine he had, I'm sure you as Williams fans would feel slightly irked.

I agree Jen should control herself on-court AND SHE REALLY HAS. But Richard makes it worse, as his statements have always had an inflammatory effect.

He doesn't need to open his mouth, but he is damn clever. Williams family get maximum publicity and focus, just the way he likes it.

Whatta a fool and thank God for Oracene. :)

DEETHELICK
Aug 28th, 2002, 12:33 PM
I agree, nice post Cybelle! :)

Thanks for being objective, something that is starting to lack on the board.

Weevee
Aug 28th, 2002, 12:35 PM
Jennifer is getting some great advice and after all the posturing I am sure she will take it! Jennifer is no fool she is surrounded by simple people who are afraid to tell her that she is damaging her marketability by her behaviour.
One of these days she will say "Thank you Richard!"

Nimi
Aug 28th, 2002, 12:44 PM
Weevee, is that post a joke? If it is, it is a good one!

Pureracket
Aug 28th, 2002, 12:53 PM
I'm almost sure that this is how Venus and Serena will handle this line of questioning:
Q: What do you think of the controversy surrounding your father and his comments about Jennifer Capriati's behaviour on the court.

Serena Williams: I don't know. You would have to ask my father or Jennifer Capriati about that.
==============================================
Q: What do you think of the controversy surrounding your father and his comments about Jennifer Capriati's behaviour on the court.

Venus Williams: I don't know. You would have to ask my father or Jennifer Capriati about that.

Nimi
Aug 28th, 2002, 12:56 PM
Venus will answer like that, thats why i dont like her, she sooo boring off-court.. Serena will not answer like that.

mishar
Aug 28th, 2002, 01:53 PM
Serena will say "Jennifer's a great player and we always have tough matches and I have a lot of respect for her as a competitor and a champion" or something like that.. that's what she always says about Jennifer, at least publicly.

vw43
Aug 28th, 2002, 03:21 PM
Oh pooh. A professional, adult athlete curses. Let us all clear the pathway to hell because Jenny is surely headed there. And while we're speaking of her cursing let's bring up her former marijuana possession charge that has nothing to do with the issue but wait...why stop there...let's make it even more dramatic and fabricate lies that she used steroids.

Surely those with such moral high ground are just as offended that Serena looks as if she should be on a pole not a court, Anna cares more about her hair than her tennis game, Seles MUST intentionally grunt to distract players, Lindsay could not have gotten more fit - she surely had a facelift and Venus is losing matches to her sister because it is simply Serena's turn.

There are some sure saints on this board. I am sure of it. :rolleyes:

iluvtrent
Aug 28th, 2002, 03:28 PM
Shame on the press for their ambush interview techniques, bottom-feeders all. But will someone please tell me what so "disrespectful" about saying "stop cussing and listen to your Dad":confused: I think Jen was caught off guard and embarressed and reacted without thinking.

Cybelle Darkholme
Aug 28th, 2002, 03:38 PM
What he said is not disrespectful, its the fact that he's telling a grown woman what to do. How would you react if someone came up to you and said that? Its none of his business. Is he her pastor? Her moral conscience? Her family? No.

He should back off and think about why his wife left him.

iluvtrent
Aug 28th, 2002, 03:43 PM
Lots of people give unsolicited advice, there's no disrespect in that. As a grown woman, you should take it with a grain of salt, and consider the source. I just think her reaction was way out of line over what was (allegedly) said. It's the "listen to your Father line" that I wonder about. BTW, what is "Inside Tennis"?

disposablehero
Aug 28th, 2002, 03:44 PM
These two deserve each other.

earthcrystal
Aug 28th, 2002, 03:49 PM
Pish.
Stole the words right outta my brain, dh. :p

Shuji Shuriken
Aug 28th, 2002, 03:59 PM
lmao@disposablehero...oh so true...haha

Tratree
Aug 28th, 2002, 04:45 PM
Inside Tennis is a California publication and its editor, Matt Cronin, likes to start a lot of @#$. He is the one who constantly starts up controversies like this. He acts like he owns the press conferences and tries to dominate them. He of the vast tennis knowledge that picked Ashley Harkleroad to upset Iva Majoli. He's always schmoozing Richard for quotes, so I'm sure he was probably the one who brought it up to Capriati.

It cracks me up the hypocrisy on this board though....Richard is free to say whatever he wants, but then Jennifer is taken to task for what she says in response?? It's none of his damn business to give her advice....if he was a commentator it would be one thing, but he's the father of two competitors. Shut up already, Richard! He's been out of control lately and I've lost any respect I had for him after Acura.

Jennifer does need to learn to handle these "ambushes" better. She basically got her point across, but she could have said it better. Part of me wishes she would shut up while she's ahead, but she has the right to respond.

AMEN to whoever said give me five times she's cursed on court.....give me any time since the Australian Open when she has blown her cool?? Anyone? I've laid that challenge down before and everyone was too busy criticizing Jennifer to actually answer the question. She HAS controlled her emotions on court. She's still gonna get fired up....hell, Safin does it every match and no one complains. It's part of his "charm." That is her personality and she's not gonna change because some people don't like it.

Finally, turn the table around and imagine Stefano telling Serena to wear more clothes or Venus to work on her second serve or something like that. What would your reaction be?? It's none of his damn business, of course!

But the point of the story is, Richard got his copy, so all is well with the world, right?

iluvtrent
Aug 28th, 2002, 04:58 PM
I think if Stephano had criticized the sisters, they would have dismissed it and not given the press the opportunity to smell blood in the water. I agree with whomever said that this little incident could haunt Jen for the rest of the tourney. The media lives for this stuff :rolleyes:

GogoGirl
Aug 28th, 2002, 05:21 PM
IMO - in this case - neither Mr. Williams or Jen are wrong for what they said. Mr. Williams has the right to say what he did to the magazine writer, and suffer the consequences for his quotes. Even if it did come off as a little uncouth on his part - he still said it and they printed it.

Jen has every right to respond the way she did and must also suffer any (if) consequences her words bring.

Pops probably remembers when Serena got slammed at last year's Wimby tourney - the one where she ate bad fish and got sick. He remembers the comments reported in the papers as to what Jen & her dad said about Serena after her loss to Jen. That she was faking the sickness and blah - blah - blah.

It really is a tic for tac type of situation out there these days in the media, and they feed on it. It is sad and very unforunate - but also very true. Who didn't know by now that the press lives for these kind of things?

They just need not drag the Sisters into this. They didn't start it - so they need not finish it.

RAA
Aug 28th, 2002, 05:39 PM
*sigh*
whoever said it was right, richard and jen were made for each other.
neither of them can keep their mouths shut. both are just DYING to get a shot in somehow.

I really don't like the way that Richard is disrespectful of Venus and Serena's opponents sometimes. Saying things like they don't belong on the same court as his daughters etc. Its not respectful of the game and of competition in general. Everyone is out there competing and starting with "Its Venus' party and no one else is invited", well, thats pretty disrespectful of the opponent (was it lindsay, right?) who just lost. I mean, of course he thinks his daughters are the BEST, and right now they are, but making comments about other tennis players is just out of line if you ask me.
his daughters are gracious in winning and losing. he should be so as well.

as for jen, well we know she speaks her mind. I don't blame her for responding to this, although she should take a page out of Lindsay's PR handbook - Lindsay usually laughs it off like it doesn't bother her. whether or not it does is another issue but she's too smart to provide media fodder.

brickhousesupporter
Aug 28th, 2002, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Tratree

AMEN to whoever said give me five times she's cursed on court.....give me any time since the Australian Open when she has blown her cool?? Anyone? I've laid that challenge down before and everyone was too busy criticizing Jennifer to actually answer the question.

This is not done to stir up an argument, but I remember the French Open Semifinals with Serena, in the second set tiebreaker, sixth point I believe when Jennifer shouted out about Fucking choking. That is an example post Australian Open when she acted up.

ot1962
Aug 28th, 2002, 05:47 PM
Could someone pull up what exactly King Richard said, and what EXACTLY was he asked????
It's interesting nobody on the board have heard about this comment till now. Are we slacking as Ardent tennis fans??;)
DH, i agree with you they deserve each other.