PDA

View Full Version : USA CRAPworks is a disgrace

Fingon
Aug 28th, 2002, 12:35 AM
I had forgotten how bad they are. ESPN, CBS, NBC are glorious compared to that crappy network :( :(

yesterday they stick to the Chang match, they showed most of it, how many women's matches during the day? NONE. Give me a fucking break, Chang is not a contender at all, I don't oppose to them showing some of it, but is Chang more important than Justine, Jelena?

Today, they were showing Ferrero vs Wayne Arthurs and Kuerten vs whoever. They wouldn't cut the men's match to go to the Capriati's match and they cut that match to show more men's matches.

to make it worse, you have to hear Jim Courier mumbling or Tracy Austin repeating for the 10000000th time how great Davenport's come back is. With her, you just change the names and you have your comment,she says the same over and over again.

And the angles, who is the retarder moron that manage the cameras?, does he have a f.... clue? I don't think so.

USA Networks is the worse network by a very long way, every time they broadcast I keeps sending e-mails that they of course ignore.

I sent a message to the US Open, asking them to push the network to show more women's coverage and to now give them the coverage again, maybe if enough people complain (to the US Open, not to that pathetic piece of shit of network) they will do something.

ESPN, TNT, ABC, CBS, we love you !

moon
Aug 28th, 2002, 12:46 AM
I'm gonna fire off a letter to them tonight. after that bullshit last night (cutting away from Rena vs. Corina to show some stupid ass clip from a tv show, plus next to no women's coverage today etc.) they are going to here from me.

Underdog
Aug 28th, 2002, 12:48 AM
I think USA is getting the message. Courier and Austin just had a little conversation about the early rounds of the womens matches being too easy-to many bagels (as in Venus and Capriati's matches). They agreed that things will probably heat up in the second week for the womens game and they'll be showing more matches. Also, they discussed going back to 16 seeds for the womens draw, so the matches could be more competitive (and closer) in the earlier rounds as the mens matches have been. They have a point seeing how Capriati just won easily over a girl ranked in the 400's.

Right now, the commentator is asking Capriati about changing to 16 seeds.

Consistency
Aug 28th, 2002, 12:58 AM
I don't remember the USA channel being this bad before. They must have hired program directors from ESPN.;)

The powers that be over there probably think that viewers just want to see Americans( preferably male ) play regardless of their chances of winning.

I know there are some ATP fans who loved the Safin match today.
I could understand that the last deciding set near the end was exciting, but I don't feel it was necessary for 4 1/2 hours to focus so long on a 1st round match, especially when other popular players like Clijsters, or Rubin have a match in progress.

FallingDiamond
Aug 28th, 2002, 01:02 AM
In Britain we are lucky. We get to choose what match we see from 4 different screens.

cynicole
Aug 28th, 2002, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by Consistency
I don't remember the USA channel being this bad before.

I don't either.

It's bad enough that they have those stupid interviews with "stars" (or, more precisely, actors who appear on USA Network programs).

Jim Courier seems to ramble on more and more on USA than he did on TNT and Tracy Austin even seems worse than she has in past years.

Give me TNT's incessant ads for "Door to Door" or "Mists of Avalon" any day! Give me Pam Shriver dissing Martina Hingis or Patrick McEnroe kissing Roddick's @ss! Darnit, I'll even put up with Chris Evert! (at least I can mute her and still see interesting tennis!)

Sunspot
Aug 28th, 2002, 01:06 AM
Chang is one of my favorite players, so I didn't mind seeing him. But they really need to show more women's matches.

TSequoia01
Aug 28th, 2002, 01:15 AM
Email them, write them, call them and let them know we are not going to put up with this! $#%%@#$!& :mad:

selesfan
Aug 28th, 2002, 01:24 AM
I prefer watching a competive men's match to a 2 set bagel match. I mean come on, did you see the Keifer-Safin match? It was amazing.

M2k
Aug 28th, 2002, 01:39 AM
I agree with selesfan:o I love Jennifer and all, but thank god they showed Guga and Ferrero in between...Who wants to see a 6-0,6-0 or a 6-1,6-2 match???? At least the Safin match was worth the ticket price. :D

Tplayer
Aug 28th, 2002, 01:41 AM
I couldnít disagree more.
In my opinion itís not USA but ESPN that has the worst tennis coverage on the planet for all the same reasons.
They place the camera so high you need a pair of binoculars to watch it on TV.
USA has a camera right behind the players so you can see every little detail.
ESPN will advertise a feature match, for example Agassi vs. whoever and then pick up the action in middle of the last set.
I agree that neither one of them knows jack about tennis coverage or what the fans really want to see but if I had to choose it would have to be USA hands down.
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons/04.gif

Meesh
Aug 28th, 2002, 01:41 AM
LMAO @ Cynicole.. I can't believe you remember the ads for Door to Door and the Avalon thing on TNT.

I'm actually enjoying the coverage.. but on mute. I prefer TNT big time! Chang, GUGA, Juan Carlos are my fav's so I didn't mind watching it.. Although I'm quite disturbed that Juan Carlos is a blonde now! YIKES... It was really bad when New York Met's catcher Mike Piazza did it...

joneg2
Aug 28th, 2002, 01:42 AM
Perfect example...this night match going on is awesome tennis...not a typical WTA bagel; replete with tons of UE's and double faults. I mean...come on...Henin won easy and how many double faults did she have? Venus, double bagel! You can't have it both ways...if you guys(and gals) believe the WTA is more popular than the ATP because of the Stars always being there at the end... then you have to defer to the excitng early round ATP matches at the beginning! I prefer women's tennis in many ways, but could the women's draw ever produce a match like Keifer/Safin in the first round? NEVER! And how about this second round...GUGA and Marat...are you kidding me...that easily could be a final! Leave USA alone...they can't please all the selfish people in the world, let alone the ones on this board! 10 hours of live coverage everyday and you're still complaining...

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I am an embarrassed, ugly American!

cappy happy
Aug 28th, 2002, 01:42 AM
I just sent an email off to USA Network because I wasn't pleased with their coverage Jen's match. The email address is:

"tennis@usanetwork.com"

Soon we will have the Tennis Channel in December and maybe they will have enough insight to know that some fans just like to see more of their favorite players, regardless of score.

And I wouldn't have minded them jumping to another match (it was a double bagel afterall :D - just wanted to say that) so much if there HAD been a competitive men's (or women's) match going at the same time but they pre-empted it for the beginning games (both in the second set) of two matches involving 3 unseeded players. (Oh, and guess how much airtime those matches are now getting with Roddick on? Following thru is not one of their strong points.)

The part that made me so angry was they spent ALL DAY advertising the Capriati and Roddick matches and they show, what? Nine minutes of hers? ARGH!!

Come on December!!

Dawn Marie
Aug 28th, 2002, 01:43 AM
That movie clip had me laughing HYSTERICALLY outloud! I was like "wtf"?

Hey, I taped the Venus match before I went to work, can somebody tell me if they showed her on TV? Or was she not shown due to a men's match?:)

Dawn Marie
Aug 28th, 2002, 01:49 AM
also I still think ESPN is the worst tennis coverage around!

CellJr300
Aug 28th, 2002, 01:51 AM
They showed the first set and the end of the second set in Venus's match. They cut away to show some of Hingis/Irvin.

Meesh
Aug 28th, 2002, 01:52 AM
Joneg2 ~ yes the Marat vs. Guga in the second round will be awesome. They better show that whole match and only break away if it's a blow out! What movie clip are talking about?
I really like the piece they did on Althea Gibson. That was great!
Dawn Marie.. not sure if they showed V.. I'm still watching my 6hrs of tape :)

Dawn Marie
Aug 28th, 2002, 01:53 AM
Ok thanks alot, thank god they showed Vee.:)

TSequoia01
Aug 28th, 2002, 02:09 AM
Tennis came on at 11:00 am edt. They were announcing showing Venus then. Clijsters played, Seles, Dokic, and others. They showed 4 and 1/2 hours of Safin/Kiefer and 1 hr split between 2 women's matches. Out of 5 and 1/2 hrs of tennis 60 minutes split between 2 women's matches. Venus did not hit the court until after 4:00 pm. Then we only saw one set! That is lousy coverage in my book. Again, write them, email them, or call them and let someone know how you feel! :fiery:

Consistency
Aug 28th, 2002, 02:34 AM
Originally quoted by joneg2 Could the women's draw ever produce a match like Kiefer/Safin in the first round?

I believe it could, though with the coverage we are getting from the networks you would never know it. Yesterday, Elena Likhovtseva won in 3 sets with a tie breaker in the 3rd against American Ally Baker. Henrietta Nagyova won against Daniilidou in 3 long sets, and Tanasugarn won her 1st rounder in 3 sets. Their not exactly household names, but serious tennis fans know of them. I don't know if these matches were exciting or not, but from the scores, I would say they were competitive. Anyway, we would never see USA or ESPN cover their matches. On the other hand a Lapenti/ Massu match is being shown right now. :rolleyes:

Let me just say, I would prefer having the 16 seeds be reinstated for the WTA at least.
I never could understand why it was eliminated in the first place.:rolleyes:

cynicole
Aug 29th, 2002, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by jp
I agree, the USA Networks is a disgrace... They show way too much women tennis... For the first 4 days they should only show men tennis... Or if they show women tennis it should be players ranked not in the top 10 battling against another solid top 50 player; because most matches involving top players are very boring. ;)

Ah, sarcasm.

I agree with the latter half of what you wrote though.

Honestly, I could've done without seeing the bagel matches...but we scarcely got Hingis vs. Irvin and got too much of those lousy drubbings. I remember wishing that we saw some Shaughnessy vs. Prakusya rather than Capriati vs. Mattek (at least SOME points!). And I'd rather had seen Massu and Lapentti than Roddick vs. Verkerk.

I disagree about Safin vs. Kiefer being THAT wonderful though. I found it boring till the 4th set. Chang's match was interesting...for a while. I was amused by watching him attack the net so much (a completely different style from what he played when he was near the top of the game) but it wore off after a while.

They could take a page from TNT and at least give the viewer an idea of what matches are coming up on all the various courts (like, by showing the court schedules) and then occasionally do one of those "Wimbledon Volley" (stupid name though) things. At least show a few highlight points here and there about what happened in the other matches.

I guess I was too spoiled by TNT. (But, I swear, the commentary on USA seems to have gotten much, much worse!)

cynicole
Aug 29th, 2002, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by Meesh
LMAO @ Cynicole.. I can't believe you remember the ads for Door to Door and the Avalon thing on TNT.

Those ads are permanently ingrained in my head. Every time I saw and heard that slur-speeched William H. Macy I thought, "Well, at least the 'Mists of Avalon' ads had a split second of Edward Atterton :drool: in them!"

Fingon
Aug 29th, 2002, 01:54 AM
USA crapworks is surpassing its own pathetic performance

cynicole
Aug 29th, 2002, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by joneg2
Leave USA alone...they can't please all the selfish people in the world, let alone the ones on this board! 10 hours of live coverage everyday and you're still complaining...

It's not 10 hours of live tennis! It's tons of commercials, some of them within the tennis time. It's dumb Michael Barkan (sp?) segments around the grounds, in the city, with "celebrities" (I don't give a sh!t about Anthony Michael Hall!). Whenever they go to "the desk" they seem to just go over scores for American players. Constant references to New York being the greatest city in the world (I'm soooo sick of it!). McEnroe showing off his family. A lot of talking over points, the same recycled stuff over and over again (Ted Robinson asks the same questions over and over again whenever there's like 5 seconds of silence!)

Argh!!!!!!!!!!

The coverage this year seems notably worse than in previous years!

moon
Aug 29th, 2002, 02:54 AM
if Bill MacAtee asks Tracy Austin to compare the games of Venus and Serena one more time I think I'm gonna puke! :(

tennis4life
Aug 29th, 2002, 03:04 AM
Hilarioso !!!!

t4l

Fingon
Aug 29th, 2002, 03:05 AM
moon, if you do, pack it up and send it to USA crapwork in the mail

ptkten
Aug 29th, 2002, 04:22 AM
I just find it funny that they don't mention Justine or Kim in the first few days, it's as if they don't even exist...yet they find time to mention the one and only Dick Norman winning his first round match. At least they've mentioned Monica's name, but still no highlights or photos from her match. And listening to Tracy babble on about how Jen and Lindsay are a step above Monica, Martina, Kim, and Justine is just stupid because I know that any of those players has a good chance to beat Jen or Lindsay. Oh well....I just couldn't believe they chose to show Rusedski over Dokic. I don't think they realize that people in America know so many more women's tennis players and that they pull in so much better ratings than the men. At least the Safin/Kiefer match was between two players that I like that was close, but showing Rusedski or Lappenti or Moya?