PDA

View Full Version : the Most Underated/unappreciated match ever (despite the outcome)

firstseed89
Jan 7th, 2009, 10:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym-AlrJ2uHE&feature=related

One of the highest quality matches I`ve ever witnessed with two completely different styles of play. At the time both women were tied with 6 grand slams. Henin had just taken out Serena in the previous round. Both women playing some of their best tennis.

If only every tennis match could be this incredible.

Uranium
Jan 7th, 2009, 11:02 PM
This match was not underrated, some people even said it was the match of 2007 and it was only 2 sets.

Lucemferre
Jan 7th, 2009, 11:15 PM
Venus looked tired even in the first set. She could've made it an even better match but Jankobitch had to force a third set tie-break in the qf :rolleyes: If Jankobitch had lost in straight sets Venus-henin match would have been a three set match. Jankobitch robbed tennis fans of a possible three-set classic :rolleyes:

njnetswill
Jan 7th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Sprem vs Venus in Berlin 2004 I think.

Uranium
Jan 7th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Venus looked tired even in the first set. She could've made it an even better match but Jankobitch had to force a third set tie-break in the qf :rolleyes: If Jankobitch had lost in straight sets Venus-henin match would have been a three set match. Jankobitch robbed tennis fans of a possible three-set classic :rolleyes:

No, the match probably would have been better had both Henin and Venus' matches been played on the same day (can't remember what day but the day Henin played hers:p), but the other 2 QFs sucked:o

frenchie
Jan 7th, 2009, 11:19 PM
Myskina def Dementieva 61 62 FO 2004

Match of my life!!!!

The Dawntreader
Jan 7th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Sprem vs Venus in Berlin 2004 I think.

Yeah that was a shot-making spectacle!

That first set from Sprem was scarily good. Some unbelievable hits on the ball...

LindsayRulz
Jan 7th, 2009, 11:23 PM
The other semi-final was better. :drool: Instant classic. :hearts::p

The Dawntreader
Jan 7th, 2009, 11:29 PM
Another IMO would be the Wimby semi between Lindsay and mauresmo in '05. Some brilliant rallies and the contrast in styles was a joy to watch, with Mauresmo attempting to come in profusely and Lindsay nailing passing shots.

Had it's fair share of drama too with Lindsay being down a break in the second.

new-york
Jan 7th, 2009, 11:30 PM
:sobbing:.

i think that the match is a lil overated actually.
it was one of the best in a while though, a lot of tremndous points.

Justine's forehand was soo dominant.
She served very well in the first set and Venus didn't adjust after not being able to return Joost's first balls, her return game wasn't the best that day.

Venus' level dropped a lot after the second set, so did Justine's but in that form, of course she was gonna be the more solid one.

i actually never watched the final of the tournament.

I love matched between Venus and Justine.

fufuqifuqishahah
Jan 7th, 2009, 11:51 PM
The other semi-final was better. :drool: Instant classic. :hearts::p

:haha:

mckyle.
Jan 8th, 2009, 12:04 AM
Venus' level dropped a lot after the second set, so did Justine's but in that form, of course she was gonna be the more solid one.

Yeah, they both just walked off the court.

The Daviator
Jan 8th, 2009, 12:10 AM
Serena def. Capriati YEC SF '02, best match of their rivalry IMO.

spencercarlos
Jan 8th, 2009, 01:33 AM

One of the highest quality matches I`ve ever witnessed with two completely different styles of play. At the time both women were tied with 6 grand slams. Henin had just taken out Serena in the previous round. Both women playing some of their best tennis.

Venus at her best going for her second grand slam in a row and going for the player of the year LOSING to Henin, on hardcourts, at the fastest surface for a grand slam... Uppappreciated only by delusional Venus fans who continue to excuse her :lol:

This was by far the highest quality match of that year.

Cakeisgood
Jan 8th, 2009, 01:36 AM
Venus at her best going for her second grand slam in a row and going for the player of the year LOSING to Henin, on hardcourts, at the fastest surface for a grand slam... Uppappreciated only by delusional Venus fans who continue to excuse her :lol:

This was by far the highest quality match of that year.

It was high quality, but I would not put it on the same level as Maria vs. Justine YEC Final. The quality of Vee and Juju was indeed great, but I don't see it on the same level as the other match.

imo :p

goldenlox
Jan 8th, 2009, 01:39 AM
Underappreciated is probably Justine's USO SF win against Jennifer.
Justine was unbelievable that match. It looked like she could barely walk at some moments.
And Jennifer was so close to a win several times

cellophane
Jan 8th, 2009, 03:39 AM
This match is *QUITE* overrated IMO.

Harvs
Jan 8th, 2009, 03:47 AM
Myskina def Dementieva 61 62 FO 2004

Match of my life!!!!

worst

grandslam

final

ever

ewwww

supergrunt
Jan 8th, 2009, 03:48 AM
This is actually the most overatted match of 2007 in my opinion. And whoever says it was high quality did not watch the whole match. Some patches were...awful.

AcesHigh
Jan 8th, 2009, 03:51 AM
Highest quality match of 2007 in terms of peaks by both players in that match. It is underrated b/c it was better than the YEC final in quality. However, the YEC final and other matches in 2007 had more drama and were much more competitive.

Looking back, Venus was not going to win that match. She didnt even have the fitness level to take it to Henin in the second set.

Either way.. it definitely wasnt overrated.

supergrunt
Jan 8th, 2009, 03:53 AM
Highest quality match of 2007 in terms of peaks by both players in that match. It is underrated b/c it was better than the YEC final in quality. However, the YEC final and other matches in 2007 had more drama and were much more competitive.

Looking back, Venus was not going to win that match. She didnt even have the fitness level to take it to Henin in the second set.

Either way.. it definitely wasnt overrated.

So you say Venus was at her peak but her fitness level was not right..:unsure: ? Wouldn't being at one's peak connote that they are physically fit enough to go for hours?

AcesHigh
Jan 8th, 2009, 03:56 AM
So you say Venus was at her peak but her fitness level was not right..:unsure: ? Wouldn't being at one's peak connote that they are physically fit enough to go for hours?

Peak meaning the highest level both players reached in that match is higher than any other match of 2007, but that level was not sustained for the entire match. I definitely think Venus peak at USO hasnt been seen since 2001.

supergrunt
Jan 8th, 2009, 03:57 AM
Peak meaning the highest level both players reached in that match is higher than any other match of 2007, but that level was not sustained for the entire match. I definitely think Venus peak at USO hasnt been seen since 2001.

oh...okay then sorry :p .

homogenius
Jan 8th, 2009, 04:00 AM
I agree with AcesHigh.Could have been better but definitely not overrated.

Off topic but it makes me think that we don't hear about anemia anymore...

danieln1
Jan 8th, 2009, 04:21 AM

Anemia, and ONLY Anemia, made Venus lose that day, she was playing very well in the whole tournament, she trashed Ana really bad in that 4R, Ana had won the US Open Series and was on fire..

homogenius
Jan 8th, 2009, 04:39 AM
Anemia, and ONLY Anemia, made Venus lose that day, she was playing very well in the whole tournament, she trashed Ana really bad in that 4R, Ana had won the US Open Series and was on fire..

:help:

sammy01
Jan 8th, 2009, 04:47 AM
hingis's trashing of sharapova in '06 at the ppo is very underrated and never mentioned, hingis made the game look rediculously easy that day and i've never seen someone take the ball so early bar seles so often.

CR3WLFC
Jan 8th, 2009, 07:47 AM
From recent memory ...

Mauresmo v Clijsters YEC Semi-final 06

Three sets of delicious tennis.

:worship::worship::worship:

Yes what an EPIC MATCH :drool:

Hardiansf
Jan 8th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Venus def Sharapova Wimbledon 2005

V's a star
Jan 8th, 2009, 08:32 AM
hingis's trashing of sharapova in '06 at the ppo is very underrated and never mentioned, hingis made the game look rediculously easy that day and i've never seen someone take the ball so early bar seles so often.

omg i wish i still had that match :sad: Hingis was GREAT that daY

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 8th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Serena def. Capriati YEC SF '02, best match of their rivalry IMO.

That match was :drool:

so was her other YEC SF

she and Mauresmo had 2 really delicious matches in 2004 :drool:

iGOAT
Jan 8th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Serena over Howler AO final. A classic :worship: