PDA

View Full Version : Gaza Affects Tennis.Affects Peer

Noctis
Jan 7th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Israeli Shahar Peer was given extra security for her second-round match in Auckland after a New Zealand protest group called for her to withdraw from the tournament because of her country's military action in the Gaza strip.

Peer asked not to be dragged into the politics of the conflict. "I have nothing to do with this, said. Im Shahar Peer. I came here to play tennis. I know Im from Israel and Im proud of my country and that playing tennis is what Im going to do tomorrow."

She said her brother had been called into the army because of the military operation. "Two days ago, I was crying a bit, actually more than a bit, so it was a hard time for me.

"I hope as soon as possible it will end and we will all be happy, because no one wants to be in a war.

CloudAtlas
Jan 7th, 2009, 04:34 PM
What is the point of targetting her and telling her to withdraw? :rolleyes:

markdelaney
Jan 7th, 2009, 04:47 PM
She's no more responsible for the situation than I am for the situations in Abkhazia and South Ossetia. But there is always some idiot who attributes blame. Poor girl.

Those protest groups are hypocrites anyway considering the treatment of the indigenous population of their country for many years.

sammy01
Jan 7th, 2009, 04:51 PM
i really dislike peer but cmon it aint her fault. if anything i'd ask her to withdraw cus her game is so boring.

#kArLoS#
Jan 7th, 2009, 06:25 PM
stupid people:o:ras:
poor Shahar,but she has a great personality,and win Auckland pls:kiss:

raffles
Jan 7th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Yeah I hope she wins now. I love how these folks arguying for justice for Palestine or whatever can't see the injustice in blaming a tennis player. It reminds me of those anti-China protester in London who tried to grab the Olympic flame from the small lady for Blue Peter, why not make a grab for it when Sir Steve was carrying it. No? Not so keen on that.

pwayne
Jan 7th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Shahar needs to stay on the tour 'cuz the war in her home country is not her fault.