PDA

View Full Version : Moorilla Hobart International: Qualifying

DokDi
Jan 7th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Jelena won't play Sydney! She received a QWC for Hobart!

Read about it here (http://www.tennis.com.au/pages/News.aspx?id=4&pageId=11478&HandlerId=2&archive=false&newsid=5214)

This is also confirmed on the tournament website, here (http://www.hobartinternational.com.au/2009/01/dokic-joins-qualifying)

Good luck in qualies Jelena, though I would have preferred a MDWC.
The draw should be out tomorrow:)

Mr.Kardashian
Jan 7th, 2009, 08:50 AM
i just read that!@ :( i JUST booked sydney tickets

Mr.Kardashian
Jan 7th, 2009, 08:50 AM
great for jelena and hobart though

Mr.Kardashian
Jan 7th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Breaking News

Jelena Dokic heading to Hobart after being granted a wildcard into qualifying

January 07, 2009 JELENA Dokic will continue her preparations for this year's Australian Open in Hobart after being granted a wildcard into qualifying for the Moorilla Hobart International.

Dokic battled hard against two-time grand slam champion Amelie Mauresmo before falling to a 7-6 (11-9) 7-6 (7-5) defeat at the first round of the Brisbane International on Monday.

The 25-year-old is aiming to claw her way back into the sport's elite after spending 2008 on the second-tier ITF Futures circuit.

Morilla Hobart International director Michael Roberts said he was only too happy to have Dokic on board for this year's tournament.

“It will be great to see Dokic back in action at the Domain Tennis Centre, she is a great player and will be a fantastic drawcard for the tournament,” Roberts said.

“She was in good form in the Australian Open Wildcard Play-off at Melbourne Park last month and played well against a tough opponent in Brisbane.

“Hopefully she can continue that form into the main draw here.”

Qualifying for the Moorilla Hobart International begins on Friday with the main draw beginning on Sunday.

AAP

Font size: Increase font size Decrease font size Send this article: Print this article Email this article

So Disrespectful
Jan 7th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Well thank goodness for that!

Keadz
Jan 7th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Who got the other main draw wild card.

Good news though :)

Graf~Dokic
Jan 7th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Fantastic news. :bounce:

If she keeps up her form from the Mauresmo match, then she should easily qualify plus two MD wins would be nice. :)

SHOOO!

Mr.Kardashian
Jan 7th, 2009, 09:31 AM
with the mauresmo form - she could make a semi or final here! i wont expect her to play that well consistently but i know she has it in her ;)

good luck - cant wait for the draw

Just Do It
Jan 7th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Lets just hope she will get a good draw :angel:

Just Do It
Jan 7th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Apparently Jelena arrived in Hobart today. Anyone going to this tournament ?

Golovinjured.
Jan 7th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Great that she's playing Hobart, hopefully get the chance to close out a few matches. :D:D
I guess I'd better go close my Sydney thread...

I think DutchieGirl is going.

matty
Jan 7th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Hmmm...well maybe this is better for her--I so hope she can kick some a_ _ here!

Just Do It
Jan 7th, 2009, 06:33 PM
I think DutchieGirl is going.

But she does not like her. We need a fan to stalk her for us :devil:

Slutati
Jan 7th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Oh wow. :speakles: Well good luck Jeca. I hope she qualifies. :angel:

Uranium
Jan 7th, 2009, 07:34 PM
:bounce:

muniu
Jan 7th, 2009, 07:55 PM
can't wait, Good luck Jelena :rocker2:

cn ireland
Jan 7th, 2009, 08:07 PM
This is a smart decision from Jelena:yeah:!

Hope she qualifies:bounce:!

Babolatpro880
Jan 7th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Well qualifying starts the 9th, and since it's actually the eighth there right now, I think the qualifying draw will be out later today.

Golovinjured.
Jan 7th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Yeah, someone said the schedule should be out around 5PM. It's 7.30AM now, so quite a while away.
Pray for a good draw, we mustn't have prayed enough before the Brisbane draw.

:angel:

Ballbasher
Jan 7th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Hopefully her draw is better this time :) Good Luck Jelena! :yeah:

Привет
Jan 7th, 2009, 10:01 PM
I hope she gets a really easy qualifying draw so that she can ease her way into the tournament. :D If she can cut out a few errors and double faults from her game, she should be able to take it to anyone in qualifying though.

Just Do It
Jan 8th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Draw is not out yet ? :spit:

Golovinjured.
Jan 8th, 2009, 10:21 AM
Just read on the tournament website that Schiavone is a late entry into qualifying.
I bet Jelena will draw her QR1. :rolleyes: :rolls:

No draw on there, or WTA site either. :(

deepsand
Jan 8th, 2009, 11:56 AM
hi guys,
i've been reading this thread for almost a year now. and only just decided to join up. i dont really know why it took me so long. but i just wanna say how awesome it is that Jelena's back and that we know where she's playing. it's a far cry from wondering whether she'll keep on withdrawing from those ITF tournaments last year.
can't wait to see the draw tomorrow.

Babolatpro880
Jan 8th, 2009, 12:39 PM
QR1: vs. Yanina Wickmayer

jela_dokic
Jan 8th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Do you have the complete draw?

Just Do It
Jan 8th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Another crap draw. I cant wait to see the rest of the draw and OOP.

jela_dokic
Jan 8th, 2009, 12:51 PM
where do I find Jelena´s draw?

I saw the website of this tournamente but it doesn´t say anything about it....

Just Do It
Jan 8th, 2009, 01:02 PM
It is not out yet.

ninanina19
Jan 8th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Wow, terrible draw. However maybe she will be a good matchup for Jelena. She hits really hard and Jelena can feed off of her pace.

King Aaron
Jan 8th, 2009, 03:43 PM
QR1: vs. Yanina Wickmayer
Hmmmm. I think Jelena should be able to win. :unsure:

LindsayRulz
Jan 8th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Tough first round :unsure:

WhatTheDeuce
Jan 8th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Why is everyone so worried about Wickmayer? I barely follow tennis anymore, what makes her tough? What's she ranked?

Jelena deals with cheap hard hitters well. I think she'll be fine. *crosses fingers*

Ajde!

DokDi
Jan 8th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Wickmayer is ranked 71. I think there is reason to be worried. She hits very well and is a tough player. Good luck Jeca, hopefully you'll get through!:)

WhatTheDeuce
Jan 8th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Dokic in 2, just saw this girl's results.

matty
Jan 8th, 2009, 04:32 PM
hi guys,
i've been reading this thread for almost a year now. and only just decided to join up. i dont really know why it took me so long. but i just wanna say how awesome it is that Jelena's back and that we know where she's playing. it's a far cry from wondering whether she'll keep on withdrawing from those ITF tournaments last year.
can't wait to see the draw tomorrow.

:wavey:

Cankarlo
Jan 8th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Actually I heard something about Wickmayer only last year's Fed Cup performance. Nothing more than that.She hits really flat but no mental game and also very young player has not got very experience yet. I have a great feeling of Jelena to win it in 2 sets. If she can play as how she did in Brisbane one of the sets may go to distance but the other one will finish quick IMO. Good luck Jelena!!

Slutati
Jan 8th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Jelena should totally win, but you never know with her. I hope she bagels her. :lick:

IceHock
Jan 8th, 2009, 05:05 PM
If her groundies are like they were against Momo, she will win no problem, if she's making alot of errors then could be different but I really don't see any difficulty.

AK-DH Fan
Jan 8th, 2009, 05:08 PM
She really should win, Wickmayer is talented thought, atleast when I watched her play HAntuchova at Atwerp she really gave her a run for her money. But if she keeps playing the way she has been I think she'll will be fine. Good luck Jelena

Babolatpro880
Jan 8th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Do you have the complete draw?

Nope. Somebody reported it from a Belgian news site.

Dominic
Jan 8th, 2009, 05:30 PM
She really should win, Wickmayer is talented thought, atleast when I watched her play HAntuchova at Atwerp she really gave her a run for her money. But if she keeps playing the way she has been I think she'll will be fine. Good luck Jelena

Didnt Hantuchova beat her 6-4 6-3?

Babolatpro880
Jan 8th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Arguably Wickmayer's best wins last year were over Keothavong and Stosur, as well as beating Tanasugarn on grass.

Just Do It
Jan 8th, 2009, 06:03 PM
I want OOP now !!! :sobbing:

IceHock
Jan 8th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Didnt Hantuchova beat her 6-4 6-3?

Yeah she did, missed alot of break points but Wickmayer did show glimpses of talent, and her first serve was pretty good.

WhatTheDeuce
Jan 8th, 2009, 07:12 PM
She plays tonight, doesn't she? Eastern (NY) time I mean. Where the hell is the OOP :sobbing:

Babolatpro880
Jan 8th, 2009, 07:14 PM
She plays tonight, doesn't she? Eastern (NY) time I mean. Where the hell is the OOP :sobbing:

Yeah she definitely plays tonight. If qualifying starts at 11 AM like it does in Sydney, the first match will be around 7 PM EST.

Golovinjured.
Jan 8th, 2009, 07:19 PM
I don't like this draw, but hopefully she'll be okay.
But if Wickmayer's best wins are over Stosur and Keothavong, it shouldn't be too taunting for Jelena.

Hobart International :help:
Was it this bad last year?

mk27
Jan 8th, 2009, 07:25 PM
I don't like this draw, but hopefully she'll be okay.
But if Wickmayer's best wins are over Stosur and Keothavong, it shouldn't be too taunting for Jelena.

Wickmayer also has wins over both Bondarenkos, Mattek, Krajicek, Dellacqua and Benesova in 2008.

Cankarlo
Jan 8th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Arguably Wickmayer's best wins last year were over Keothavong and Stosur, as well as beating Tanasugarn on grass.

Oh my Gosh!! I really didn't know that.Wow,that's not bad result. :eek:Tanasugarn is good on grass.

DokDi
Jan 8th, 2009, 07:46 PM
The matches should begin in 2 or 3 hours, and still no draw, OOP!! Is this really a WTA tournament?!:rolleyes:....Go Dokic, it won't be easy but you can do this.:)

cn ireland
Jan 8th, 2009, 07:48 PM
This is another tough draw for Jelena, Wickmayer could be another Bacinsky:(!

Good luck JD, SHOOOOOOO:bounce:!

Just Do It
Jan 8th, 2009, 07:48 PM
First matches in Hobart starting in 2 hours.

WhatTheDeuce
Jan 8th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Yeah she definitely plays tonight. If qualifying starts at 11 AM like it does in Sydney, the first match will be around 7 PM EST.
We better get live scores, that's all I have to say.

ninanina19
Jan 8th, 2009, 08:19 PM
We better get live scores, that's all I have to say.

There should be livescores here:
http://www.protennislive.com/frameset.asp?year=2009&wkno=2&lang=en&tabno=3&eventid=5505&ref=www.sonyericssonwtatour.com

Babolatpro880
Jan 8th, 2009, 09:14 PM
I think Dave's point was that, if Sony Ericsson has yet to post the draw, it is possible they won't keep live scores either.

ninanina19
Jan 8th, 2009, 09:22 PM
I think Dave's point was that, if Sony Ericsson has yet to post the draw, it is possible they won't keep live scores either.

I hope not :scared:.

ninanina19
Jan 8th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Jelena is 3rd on court.

Golovinjured.
Jan 8th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Everyone excited?
I'm nervous, I have a feeling she'll lose.

muniu
Jan 8th, 2009, 10:13 PM
stay positive ;) I have to go, I wish I could see this match .....
Good luck Jeca !

ninanina19
Jan 8th, 2009, 10:22 PM
Everyone excited?
I'm nervous, I have a feeling she'll lose.

Same here:scared:.

Babolatpro880
Jan 8th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Well, live scores are working. Jelena's third on which court?

ninanina19
Jan 8th, 2009, 10:43 PM
Well, live scores are working. Jelena's third on which court?

The first one.

matty
Jan 8th, 2009, 10:55 PM
I hope she stays positive no matter what happens--i mean she gave MoMo a harder time than Ivanovic!!!

Привет
Jan 8th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Please get through this first match, Jela. :scared:

Her draw looks okay after this one though. I hope she does it easy in straights otherwise my brain might explode.

matty
Jan 8th, 2009, 11:10 PM
C'mon Jelena, believe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mickey019
Jan 8th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Please get through this first match, Jela. :scared:

Her draw looks okay after this one though. I hope she does it easy in straights otherwise my brain might explode.

I agree. Neither Melinda nor some other girl seem unbeatable for Jelena. After the big hitting against Mauresmo...if she keeps that form,she can do many good things on the court. But,she must take the first step. And she needs to defend some points here! About 30,as I remember.

LindsayRulz
Jan 8th, 2009, 11:49 PM
Jelena's part of the draw :

4)Y Wickmayer (BEL) vs [WC] J Dokic (AUS)
A Tatishvili (GEO) vs M Czink (HUN)
I Olaru (ROU) vs K Woerle (GER)
[WC] M Mirkovic (AUS) vs (7)E Gallovits (ROU)

Golovinjured.
Jan 8th, 2009, 11:54 PM
Wickmayer is the hardest opponent there, if she could manage to pull out the win today her chances of qualifying are quite high.

Babolatpro880
Jan 9th, 2009, 12:27 AM
Gallovits could be troublesome as well. She did well this week in Auckland.

Keadz
Jan 9th, 2009, 12:45 AM
Dokic pulled out :(
http://www.hobartinternational.com.au/2009/01/injury-forces-dokic-out-of-hobart

WhatTheDeuce
Jan 9th, 2009, 12:46 AM
You've got to be fucking kidding me.

Golovinjured.
Jan 9th, 2009, 12:55 AM
Has she ever played BOTH lead in events?

Just Do It
Jan 9th, 2009, 01:03 AM
What the hell? I mean WHAT THE FUCKING HELL? Bitch better be really injured.

ninanina19
Jan 9th, 2009, 01:05 AM
:bigcry:

ninanina19
Jan 9th, 2009, 01:05 AM
If she misses AO, I will just die.

Привет
Jan 9th, 2009, 01:09 AM
I don't know what to think. :sobbing:

I don't want it to be a very serious injury because she just HAS to play the Australian Open, but then again, if it's not too serious, I'd be annoyed that she pulled out from Hobart. :(

deepsand
Jan 9th, 2009, 01:25 AM
there's a short article that just went up about Jelena's withdrawal - and part of it says:

'Tournament director Michael Roberts says it is a blow for the event.
"It's obviously very disappointing when you have a player and you do a bit of a build up and the amount of media she's got and the amount of interest she carries and unfortunately her coach has pulled her out," he said.'

which makes me think that it may be a precautionary move to make sure that she can play the Aus Open. they probably don't want to risk an injury this year. and she injured her ankle at Hobart last year. maybe its the same ankle.
we'll find out soon enough.

ninanina19
Jan 9th, 2009, 01:26 AM
there's a short article that just went up about Jelena's withdrawal - and part of it says:

'Tournament director Michael Roberts says it is a blow for the event.
"It's obviously very disappointing when you have a player and you do a bit of a build up and the amount of media she's got and the amount of interest she carries and unfortunately her coach has pulled her out," he said.'

which makes me think that it may be a precautionary move to make sure that she can play the Aus Open. they probably don't want to risk an injury this year. and she injured her ankle at Hobart last year. maybe its the same ankle.
we'll find out soon enough.:o

WhatTheDeuce
Jan 9th, 2009, 02:16 AM
Maybe it's just precautionary. But even so, what a wasted chance coming off such a good match against Mauresmo. Tonight fails.

Keadz
Jan 9th, 2009, 02:21 AM
her coach pulled her out....

Daniel K
Jan 9th, 2009, 02:22 AM
It better be precautionary but we won't know for a while :(
I swear if she misses the Open...
I don't think the Hobart director will be asking her back again haha

WhatTheDeuce
Jan 9th, 2009, 02:25 AM
her coach pulled her out....
Huh? :weirdo:

ChinChin
Jan 9th, 2009, 02:26 AM
This sucks real much :o She better not miss the AO

Golovinjured.
Jan 9th, 2009, 02:29 AM
It's annoying, and so much has happened in the past that I don't know what to think. She could be genuinely injured, it could be precautionary, or it could be Jelena being the Dokic of past comebacks. I believe that it's just precautionary.
She's gone on about how she needs matches, surely she would take her chance here if she could.
She was in Hobart, and was still entered as the draw was made. I believe she's injured.

Surely, she must have seen the positives in the match against Mauresmo? She was playing TOP 20 tennis for majority of that match, even higher. The only let downs where her second serve and nerves. All the double faults came with 4 or 5 services game aswell, at the end of the first set and first game of the second. She should have closed out the set, and the fact she didn't is obviously a big letdown for her, but the fact that she made so many chances to win the set, and potentially the match far outweighs that positively.
Maybe she wants the week off to focus primarily on these things?

Now, she needs to get to Melbourne ASAP. Train her ass off there, and familiarise herself with the courts and the surface.
Many players around to practice/have practice matches with. She needs to get herself as prepared as possible for her R1.
She must win a match in Melbourne, or else her ranking will fall and she'll find herself in a position where she can only enter ITF events again.

Babolatpro880
Jan 9th, 2009, 02:37 AM
The Hobart ankle injury was bullshit last year and it's bullshit this year. I just hope it is precautionary in order to play the Australian and not her quitting again. This won't help her media perception.

Keadz
Jan 9th, 2009, 02:58 AM
Huh? :weirdo:

Thats what it says in the article.
unfortunately her coach has pulled her out," he said.'

So to me it seems she wanted to play, but Bikic or whatever didn't want her to for whatever reason.

Golovinjured.
Jan 9th, 2009, 03:01 AM
Don't let a man walk all over you, Jelena. You are woman, let's hear you roar.

Philip
Jan 9th, 2009, 03:20 AM
I believe she is injured. I just hope not seriously. :scared:

At the end of the day you dont go to Australia to not play.

jumpingjoe
Jan 9th, 2009, 03:52 AM
SERIOUSLY....evenone needs to relax. It is probably just precautionary so that she is able to particpate in the Aussie Open. It is not uncommon for players to withdraw from a tourney the week before a slam if playing that tourney puts their health at risk for the slam.
She is not going to disappear again...I know she has in the past but come on...look at what she has done in a year. Yes...she took breaks from playing last year but I think it was just to train and continue to get herself fit. She had a lot of work to do on her physical shape and you cant do that when you are playing tourneys week in and week out. Players usually do that during their off season and then maintain it throughout the year. Just look at a picture from last year when she arrived in Australia to now...she is obviously MUCH more committed than she was in 2005-2007.

Daniel K
Jan 9th, 2009, 04:01 AM
Injured Dokic will make Open

Australian tennis draw card Jelena Dokic says the Achilles injury that has forced her out of the Hobart international should not stop her competing at the Australian Open.

Dokic was in Hobart to continue her preparations for this month's Melbourne Park grand slam after being granted a wildcard into qualifying.

Dokic, 25 said she strained her Achilles tendon training on Thursday afternoon and the precautionary decision to withdraw from the Hobart tournament was made on Friday.

The former world No.4 said the injury should not disrupt her Open preparations "too much".

"The Australian open is still 10 days away so I still have some time, which is good, and I should be all right," Dokic told reporters.

~Eclipsed~
Jan 9th, 2009, 04:44 AM
:sobbing:

I mean it's good precautionary decision to make, but that one match against Mauresmo wasn't enough practice even though she played really well. Hopefully she gets a kind draw at AO. :unsure:

AK-DH Fan
Jan 9th, 2009, 04:49 AM
Yeah bad luck but as long as this injury isn't serious I'm happy. it woulda helped to have more matches but this is a smart decision. Lets just pray for a good draw for the AO

Uranium
Jan 9th, 2009, 04:54 AM
I think it was a smart and yet dumb move from Jelena. Smart because she can now rest and train more and get ready for Melbourne if she is truly injured:armed:
Stupid because now she loses a lot of ranking points, as we saw in Brisbane she needs more match practice for that horrible thing she calls a serve and to help her mentally get confidence to close matches out.
Good luck and feel better Jelly:p

Mr.Kardashian
Jan 9th, 2009, 07:14 AM
awww good on u jelena looking after yourself. rest and recover and then train hard for Melbourne!

DokDi
Jan 9th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Recover soon Jelena and kick some asses in the Australian Open!:)

WhatTheDeuce
Jan 9th, 2009, 05:04 PM
I was concerned when this first happened, and now hearing that her coach made the decision, I'm even more concerned. Something tells me she's really not that badly hurt, I bet she could have played. I think Jelena and/or her retarded coach always feel the need to go back to the drawing board after a tough loss and take some down time, instead of just continuing to play and try to get a rhythm and a string of matches. It's a poor decision, IMO, and typical Dokic as far as previous comebacks are concerned. She needed to take advantage of this chance and win as many matches as possible, and she was playing well enough to do so, easily. I really don't understand this, it's just stupid.

If Jelena really is hurt and REALLY feels like she would be risking her Australian Open by playing, then I take all of this back. But I just get the sense it's more than that.

cn ireland
Jan 9th, 2009, 06:51 PM
It is disappointing that Jelena didn't play Hobart but I'd much rather she missed Hobart than the AO!

I just hope she'll be fit enough!!!

King Aaron
Jan 9th, 2009, 08:18 PM
I was concerned when this first happened, and now hearing that her coach made the decision, I'm even more concerned. Something tells me she's really not that badly hurt, I bet she could have played. I think Jelena and/or her retarded coach always feel the need to go back to the drawing board after a tough loss and take some down time, instead of just continuing to play and try to get a rhythm and a string of matches. It's a poor decision, IMO, and typical Dokic as far as previous comebacks are concerned. She needed to take advantage of this chance and win as many matches as possible, and she was playing well enough to do so, easily. I really don't understand this, it's just stupid.

If Jelena really is hurt and REALLY feels like she would be risking her Australian Open by playing, then I take all of this back. But I just get the sense it's more than that.
I can only hope this decision mirrors the one in 2006 but with the results at the AO switched. She played Auckland and lost her first match, then did not play another warm up. I believe she pulled out of a tournament citing injury and that it's a precaution with the AO so close. Of course she lost to Razzano then but I hope she'll get a kinder draw and win a match this time.