PDA

View Full Version : Protest target Peer says she's just a tennis player (article)

itzhak
Jan 7th, 2009, 03:47 AM
Protest target Peer says she's just a tennis player

By ROBERT LOWE | Wednesday, 07 January 2009

Israeli Shahar Peer, due to be the subject of a protest in Auckland on Thursday over the military conflict in Gaza, says she's just a tennis player trying to do her best on court.

Protest organiser John Minto, calling for an comprehensive boycott of Israel, said a letter had been written to Peer at the weekend asking her to withdraw from the ASB Classic.

Minto said the No 5 seed had not replied.

Asked if she had considered pulling out, Peer told journalists that there wasn't anything she could do about the politics of the situation in the Middle East.

"I have nothing to do with this," she said.

"I'm Shahar Peer. I came here to play tennis. I know I'm from Israel and I'm proud of my country and that [playing tennis] is what I'm doing to do tomorrow."

Peer, 21, said she was trying not to concentrate on what was happening in Gaza, but it wasn't easy.

Her own brother, who had completed his compulsory military service, had been called up as a reservist.

"Two days ago, I was crying a bit, actually more than a bit, so it was a hard time for me," she said.

"I hope as soon as possible it will end and we will all be happy, because no one wants to be in a war."

Peer, the world No 39, today advanced to the third round by beating Czech Barbora Zahlavova Strycova 6-3 4-6 6-2.

She said she had never been targeted by protesters anywhere around the world before.

Last year, she became the first Israeli to play in Doha, in Qatar, and she said she got a warm reception and enjoyed her time there.

She joked that being singled out by protesters meant at least people were interested in her.:lol:

"It's their choice and they are choosing what they want to do," she said.

Having appeared in the Classic twice before, she was planning to return again next year because of the atmosphere provided by tournament director Brenda Perry and the many volunteers.

Perry said the WTA Tour had security requirements for all its tournaments, but security would be increased at Stanley St tomorrow.

She said there had been no problems so far this week.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4811779a10393.html

Mr_Molik
Jan 7th, 2009, 03:51 AM
How fucking ridiculous. I don't agree with Israel's actions in Gaza, but this is going too far. What next- boycott talking to anyone from Israel?

mboyle
Jan 7th, 2009, 04:55 AM
I hope Shahar wins the whole damn tournament.

pav
Jan 7th, 2009, 05:23 AM
That prick Minto is an embarrassment to our country people like him are very selective in their targets, I hope some bugger clips him in the ear tomorrow!

hingis-seles
Jan 7th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Protesting against a tennis player from Israel is no way to get a message across - it's ridiculous, petty and vindictive. Let the athletes be athletes. Shahar doesn't need this sort of distraction.

Considering what happened with Seles, I really hope they have extra security for Shahar.

cartmancop
Jan 7th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Did Peer push the big red button that launched the attacks?? no... She has nothing to do with the political debate at hand. Protesters should take their opinions to politicians that have a say in these matters. I'm not really a fan of Peer's tennis, but it sucks that she gets drawn into these political fights just because of her nationality...

young_gunner913
Jan 7th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Protesting against a tennis player from Israel is no way to get a message across - it's ridiculous, petty and vindictive. Let the athletes be athletes. Shahar doesn't need this sort of distraction.

Considering what happened with Seles, I really hope they have extra security for Shahar.

Hopefully it will never come to that but there's stupid people in the world. Hopefully this will be more motivation for Shahar to be playing well and win this tournament. Kadima Shahar! :bounce:

raffles
Jan 7th, 2009, 07:10 AM
I have been of the mind that for years and years the liberals has lost their way, they are just as brainwashed and uncritical minded as those who they oppose. Anyway targeted Peer is simply low and pathetic, she's not a person of influence in the political/religious scene of Israel. But let them protest if they want to, let them show themselve up to be shallow minded idiots who can't see that she is just a tennis players. Of course I does hope that the tournament will put adequte protection in place for her. I'm not a fan but I think in a tennis scene she's obviously been punished enough for being Isreali considering how some countries have prevented her entry to compete in certain tournaments.

Williamsser
Jan 7th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Ludicrous!

Consigliere
Jan 7th, 2009, 08:57 AM
It is just sick what the Liberals have convinced people of about Israel.

Look beyond your own borders, this is some idiot Kiwi's we're talking about. What does the Liberal democrat party of USA have to do with things?

Farina Elia Fan
Jan 7th, 2009, 10:58 AM
What an idiot! Shahar has no influence over the government, she isnt even a huge star in Israel. Sounds like someone is just trying to increase their profile :rolleyes:

AndreConrad
Jan 7th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Poor Shahar, but sober response from her. I hope she'll do well this season.
To all expressing your opinions pro or against war or Israel. This is not the place!

tiwapon
Jan 7th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Being Israeli these days is hard. Even my Jewish friend told me that.

BUBI
Jan 7th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Shahar is a soldier in reserve. IDF should call her up ;)

ys
Jan 7th, 2009, 12:07 PM
How incredibly stupid people can be no longer surprises me.. Go Shahar and good luck, but not against My Golden One! ;)

ViennaCalling
Jan 7th, 2009, 12:09 PM
What an idiot :weirdo:

Shahar is just doing her job :help:

ViennaCalling
Jan 7th, 2009, 12:09 PM

Dumbest and insensitivest post ever! Congrats :yeah: :weirdo:

justine schnyder
Jan 7th, 2009, 12:10 PM

Don't worry, they won't call her.

Back on topic, what a stupid man,, calling a protest against a tennis player :o
I hope Shahar is safe and she will be able to concentrate in her match tonight..
Kadima Shahar, you can do it!! :bounce: :hug:

BUBI
Jan 7th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Dumbest and insensitivest post ever! Congrats :yeah: :weirdo:
Why? I don't think most posters remember the threads about her military service. And do you think athletes should be treated differently from average person? Athletes are usually excellent soldiers. In a time of war they should do their duty like anybody else :shrug:

Lucemferre
Jan 7th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Oh please :rolleyes: Don't feel sorry for them. That said Shahar has nothing to do with this.

justine schnyder
Jan 7th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Oh please :rolleyes: Don't feel sorry for them. That said Shahar has nothing to do with this.

Being Israeli/Jewish is no different from any other.

Monica_Rules
Jan 7th, 2009, 12:34 PM
This is just silly. Shahar has nothin to do with the situation in Gaza. I hope she doesn't feel like she will be attacked. Can't be doing he much good in a match having to think is she going to be attacked any second.

The whole situation with Gaza and Isreal is so complex. I find ti very difficult because i agree with both side but totally disagree with any use of violence to 'sort out' the problems. And just cos someone doesn't spport Isreal does not make them anti-semetic :rolleyes:

miffedmax
Jan 7th, 2009, 12:59 PM
There's plenty of blame to go around on all sides for the situation in Gaza, but I really don't see how any of it can be directed at Peer.

If anything, she should be supported--her decision to play in Doha, as I recall, was not universally well-recieved by radicals on either side. Her response was very level-headed. I'm not a big fan of her as a player, but as a person I find her very impressive.

-Sonic-
Jan 7th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Please don't discuss politics/war in GM - I believe there are some threads dedicated to that in NT.

Sorry if your post has been edited in a way you didn't like, but GM is for tennis only.

:hug: Shahar :hug:

@danieln1
Jan 7th, 2009, 02:57 PM
This is disgusting, poor Shahar, she has nothing to do with this war... I feel very sorry for her, very! Hope she wins the whole tournament...

miffedmax
Jan 7th, 2009, 04:07 PM
You know, if I stop and do a little research, I can probably find a policy of every government on earth that I disagree with. So let's ban all tennis players everywhere.

markdelaney
Jan 7th, 2009, 04:53 PM
That prick Minto is an embarrassment to our country people like him are very selective in their targets, I hope some bugger clips him in the ear tomorrow!

Every country seems to have these kind of guys. It's free speech and they get far too much attention.

spiceboy
Jan 7th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Being Israeli these days is hard. Even my Jewish friend told me that.

Sure, like being Palestinian these days must be great...but oh well, I'm pretty sure most wtaworlders think they are all Yihad bombers so who cares about them :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

STOP THE WAR...NOW!!!

frenchie
Jan 7th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Such reactions are so ridiculous!

sapir1434
Jan 7th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Stupid people. And yeah, being Israeli these days is very hard.
I wish Shahar wins the whole tournament so they shut theyre fucking mouth.

Broken Racquet
Jan 7th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Poor Shahar, she doesn't deserve this... She didn't start this war.