PDA

View Full Version : Will Maria show up in Melbourne?

Lucas_Arg
Jan 6th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Your opinion.
I say yes, but that's because I'm a fan.

stevos
Jan 6th, 2009, 10:21 PM
I hope to God she does, but only if she is totally injury-free.

raffles
Jan 6th, 2009, 10:21 PM
No and I'm not a hater nor do I dislike Maria. I just have a funny feeling something isn't right about all these statements that have been released recently. I think they are keeping it up in the air just for the PR and to sell a few more tickets. It's good for Maria and the tournament for people to think she'll show up.

The Dawntreader
Jan 6th, 2009, 10:23 PM
She will, but she wont be 'tennis-fit'. An early casualty for sure, which is to be expected after such a long lay-off and a still precarious injury.

Dexter
Jan 6th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Is she already in Australia?

sammy01
Jan 6th, 2009, 10:26 PM
i hope so as you want all the big names at slams, but hope not if it just sets her back another few months.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jan 6th, 2009, 10:48 PM
hmmm maybe...i'm leaning more to the yes side though....she usually doesn't miss slams unless its really bad, and the US Open was such a case...

spartanfan
Jan 6th, 2009, 10:52 PM
To play? No
For sponsor obligations? Yes

Ciarán
Jan 6th, 2009, 10:55 PM
3R, 4R maybe.
But I wouldnt be surprised if she won the whole thing.

Shvedbarilescu
Jan 6th, 2009, 11:01 PM
She will, but she wont be 'tennis-fit'. An early casualty for sure, which is to be expected after such a long lay-off and a still precarious injury.

That is how I see it too.

Cakeisgood
Jan 6th, 2009, 11:04 PM
Serena AO 2007 anyone???!

haha just sayin. She could be ousted fast or win the whole thing. Btw if she doesn't show up, she'll be No. 15! never thought I'd see such a low ranking for a while

slamchamp
Jan 6th, 2009, 11:17 PM
If she's injury free as she says she is I say yes

Roookie
Jan 6th, 2009, 11:19 PM
No and I'm not a hater nor do I dislike Maria. I just have a funny feeling something isn't right about all these statements that have been released recently. I think they are keeping it up in the air just for the PR and to sell a few more tickets. It's good for Maria and the tournament for people to think she'll show up.

Totally agree. Doesn't seem logic that she's coudn't play a 2-matches Exhibition Tournament a week before the AO. She may as well play, but she's going out in the first round.

goldenlox
Jan 6th, 2009, 11:37 PM
She only missed one major, and HAD to miss it because of the shoulder surgery. If she's healthy enough to practice every day, she's playing.
An exo is different.

Volcana
Jan 6th, 2009, 11:38 PM
She'll play IF her medicos assure her she can't damage the shoulder doing it. I'd it's 65/35 she plays.

Tennisstar86
Jan 6th, 2009, 11:55 PM
No, and if she does, she'll lose early... I mean she skipped an Exho 2 weeks before the slam, and she could just go out and swing through the motions..... Just seems to me if shes not well enough to play an exho...even if she shows up in Melborne what kinda practice is she on? It'll be better for her record to just skip the whole thing.

Direwolf
Jan 6th, 2009, 11:56 PM

haha just sayin. She could be ousted fast or win the whole thing. Btw if she doesn't show up, she'll be No. 15! never thought I'd see such a low ranking for a while

hahaha
no...

lol...

as i fan...
i would want her to show up...
but not to lose early again...

VishaalMaria
Jan 6th, 2009, 11:57 PM

LOL! She could do a "Serena Williams AO 07" Performance, but that's only if she got as mentally strong as Serena which she isn't.

slamchamp
Jan 6th, 2009, 11:57 PM
I don't know..she said in her doodle she had the surgery and she recovered quickly and she is pain free, so if that's true I really think that she'll play

slamchamp
Jan 6th, 2009, 11:58 PM
LOL! She could do a "Serena Williams AO 07" Performance, but that's only if she got as mentally strong as Serena which she isn't.
LOL, if there's something Maria doesn't lack is mentallity

VishaalMaria
Jan 7th, 2009, 12:07 AM

I'm not saying she lacks mentality; I'm just saying it's not as strong as Serena's.

slamchamp
Jan 7th, 2009, 12:10 AM
I'm not saying she lacks mentality; I'm just saying it's not as strong as Serena's.
I don't their mentallities can't be compared, but maria got thruogh a lot of matches cause she's mentally tough, like in roland garros 07 where she reached semis..why comparing her to serena? that's old:yawn:

friendsita
Jan 7th, 2009, 12:11 AM
yes and I hope she can defend well... al least SF

DownTheLine21
Jan 7th, 2009, 12:14 AM
I think that she will make an attempt to play, but I'm not betting on a repeat of last year's performance.

SAEKeithSerena
Jan 7th, 2009, 12:28 AM
she'll be there.

nelsondan
Jan 7th, 2009, 12:45 AM
If she's injury free as she says she is I say yes

Other than the doodle many of us have doubts she actually wrote herself---what have you heard her say? I have heard nothing straight from her, instead of "sources say".

My gut feeling is that she is not going to play at all.

I hope she plays; I hope she springs a devastating surprise in how fit and ready she actually is. It would make a lot of my posts look pretty silly, and I would love for it to happen. She is my favorite palyer.

hilluis
Jan 7th, 2009, 02:45 AM
If she isn't in Australia already, I doubt she will play. It is only 12 days until Aust Open begins. It's a long trip and takes a while to get over jet lag etc etc. She would surely have to arrive in the next day or two so that she has some time to prepare.

Volcana
Jan 7th, 2009, 02:48 AM
It'll be better for her record to just skip the whole thing.There may be contractual reasons to play. Like endorsement money that's contingent on her being a top ten player. She doesnt play, she out of the top ten. She might only have to make the QFs to hold the #10 ranking, depending on what others do.

Dan23
Jan 7th, 2009, 03:29 AM
I feel that she'll turn up and try to play. Her 1st Round match will be very interesting.

We'll know by early next week whether she is going to rock up.

doni1212
Jan 7th, 2009, 03:38 AM
I don't think so because if she truly wanted "match practice", she would've played Hong Kong. Her excuse of not being match fit just doesn't make sense! If you're not match fit, than you would play an exho right?
I honestly think she's not 100 percent healthy even if she says she is.
So, I don't think she's playing the AO, :shrug:

saniapower
Jan 7th, 2009, 04:25 AM
Definitely not. She will skip entire 2009 and retire early 2010.
^^its haunting me.

mboyle
Jan 7th, 2009, 05:08 AM

This isn't Svetlana fucking Kuznetsova. Maria's mental game is the best in the world with the Williams sisters. If she is physically fit, she simply does not lose to anyone outside the top ten. I do not think she'll win this tournament, but if she falls early it will be due to her reinjuring herslef, not due to rust. I expect a QF.

Andy.
Jan 7th, 2009, 05:19 AM
She turned up under prepared and did supremely in 2006 there is no reason why she can't do the same again.

Alicia Rocks
Jan 7th, 2009, 05:20 AM
Got a feeling she won't :shrug:

sakya23
Jan 7th, 2009, 05:21 AM
3rd or 4th round loss.

Leo_DFP
Jan 7th, 2009, 05:23 AM
This isn't Svetlana fucking Kuznetsova. Maria's mental game is the best in the world with the Williams sisters. If she is physically fit, she simply does not lose to anyone outside the top ten.

:rolleyes: :confused: :rolleyes: :lol: :p

Andy.
Jan 7th, 2009, 05:31 AM
If she isn't in Australia already, I doubt she will play. It is only 12 days until Aust Open begins. It's a long trip and takes a while to get over jet lag etc etc. She would surely have to arrive in the next day or two so that she has some time to prepare.
Maria always arrives in Melbourne the Sunday or Monday one week before the tournament thats 4 or 5 days away.

Cp6uja
Jan 7th, 2009, 05:42 AM
Despite fantastic road to AO title last season... for me will be success if she just reach 2nd week this time. More than 150 days without competetive match (or at least exo) is simple too much for some big expectations.

I wish her to be in Sveta or Vera R4 5-8 part of draw (to skip Ana or Venus) which will give her realistic chances to reach QF, but more than that after such big pause seems right now almost like miracle. So after July of 2004 and almost 250 weeks in the row Maria will lose TOP10 status... but if she is finally injury-free I see her back in TOP5 after US Open.

IMO

hilluis
Jan 7th, 2009, 05:51 AM
Maria always arrives in Melbourne the Sunday or Monday one week before the tournament thats 4 or 5 days away.

Yes. But she is usually coming from Hong Kong and not the US. Melbourne is about 3 hours behind Hong Kong? More similar time zone. Everyone has a hard time acclimatising to the Southern Hemisphere even when they are fully fit and ready to play. Hope she plays but I would be very surprised.

raffles
Jan 7th, 2009, 07:01 AM
I don't think so because if she truly wanted "match practice", she would've played Hong Kong. Her excuse of not being match fit just doesn't make sense! If you're not match fit, than you would play an exho right?
That's the part I don't get. Wouldn't some match practice in the exo against some top players be just what she needs if she out of match practice? I would venture that either she's not healthy yet and knows she won't make Melbourne or she's really out of shape and needs to time to get back into shape/lose some weight.

In The Zone
Jan 7th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Maria is very stubborn -- but in a good way. She has a lot of respect for the sport and her own success. She'll show up but I'm not sure the result will match last year's.

s_j
Jan 7th, 2009, 08:17 AM
I'm not worrying. She'll play.

Rumkin
Jan 7th, 2009, 09:58 AM
I really hope she's playing but only if she's 100% healthy :bowdown: If not than she should just skip the AO, I don't want her shoulder to break down again :sobbing: But I'm going to stay positive :D

And if she does play I'm not going to expect her to win or do extremely well. A QF would be wonderful, but an early round lose would not be surprising.

Davai masha! (please)

goldenlox
Jan 7th, 2009, 10:16 AM
They look like a happy group

http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/8789/gettylakerssiberiansireal8.jpg

friendsita
Jan 7th, 2009, 10:44 AM

that's true, she is so mentally strong... but when it comes to Serena... it has no comparisson

A'DAM
Jan 7th, 2009, 11:08 AM
She will be there, will she play hmmmm?!

Adal
Jan 7th, 2009, 11:30 AM
I really hope she does.

tiwapon
Jan 7th, 2009, 11:53 AM
She needs more rest. To hell with the AO title.

slamchamp
Jan 7th, 2009, 12:43 PM

http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/8789/gettylakerssiberiansireal8.jpgwhat's that picture? is it recent?

goldenlox
Jan 7th, 2009, 01:22 PM
That is recent

spartanfan
Jan 7th, 2009, 01:42 PM
I honestly think she's not 100 percent healthy even if she says she is.
So, I don't think she's playing the AO, :shrug:
Agreed. If she isn't match fit to play a stupid expo as a warm up, how is she going to be match fit-tough to go 7 rounds at the AO? Answer: she won't be. Something doesn't smell right, my bet is she doesn't show up for the AO!

homogenius
Jan 7th, 2009, 01:50 PM

Poor Maria :tape:

BTW can't her father find a man and let her live her life ?

kasia1992
Jan 7th, 2009, 02:42 PM
i think he find
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p222/kasia1992/kasia1992x/22522_sharapova5_122_674lo.jpg
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p222/kasia1992/kasia1992x/22529_sharapova8_122_91lo.jpg
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p222/kasia1992/kasia1992x/11745891.jpg

HRHoliviasmith
Jan 7th, 2009, 02:55 PM
^^^ cute couple. maria looks like she has put on some weight. her face looks a little fuller.

Marshmallow
Jan 7th, 2009, 03:34 PM
I don't think she will. I'm afraid Maria fans I think you'll have to start bracing yourself for a Capriati like Exit. Just a feeling. I mean... if maria had normal sized shoulders you'd expect normal recovery rate... but she just has the most broadest of shoulders I've ever seen on a woman.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/bloodylamer/bastardly-photos/0505/album90/maria-sharapova62901.jpg http://bp0.blogger.com/_DnmjEFNC0Cw/SGLriORgxSI/AAAAAAAAEcs/A7HJ-2S8Ts4/s1600-h/rape+me.jpg

And so a small issue for a regular person maybe a big issue for her. :sad: Sad I know...

nelsondan
Jan 7th, 2009, 03:35 PM
^^^ cute couple. maria looks like she has put on some weight. her face looks a little fuller.

I was encouraged, just to see her out and about. The guy can take some encouragement
from body language experts over the way her legs are crossed towards him---but her arms send a mixed signal. I think she is going to play---I saw that look of steely determination in her eyes, and it is not the vacant corporate---fashion---posed look I have been complaining about.

I will be surprised if she is not 10 pounds or so more this year than she was in last year's AO, but, if so, it will not be carelessly added pounds--it will be calculated for stronger tennis in some way. Her face looks the same---her legs and middle area will be a better measure---been a long time since we have seen them.

DA FOREHAND
Jan 7th, 2009, 03:38 PM
what are her handlers saying? mums her word .

Tennisstar86
Jan 7th, 2009, 03:40 PM

is this recent? her face is def lookin a bit chunky....

Adal
Jan 7th, 2009, 03:50 PM
She looks fat and sad :sad:

Effy
Jan 7th, 2009, 03:51 PM
this tard Marshmallow is back how sad :awww:

Nikkiri
Jan 7th, 2009, 03:53 PM

:sad:

Tennisstar86
Jan 7th, 2009, 03:53 PM
I was encouraged, just to see her out and about. The guy can take some encouragement
from body language experts over the way her legs are crossed towards him---but her arms send a mixed signal. I think she is going to play---I saw that look of steely determination in her eyes, and it is not the vacant corporate---fashion---posed look I have been complaining about.

I will be surprised if she is not 10 pounds or so more this year than she was in last year's AO, but, if so, it will not be carelessly added pounds--it will be calculated for stronger tennis in some way. Her face looks the same---her legs and middle area will be a better measure---been a long time since we have seen them.

lol, the only look i see on marias face is the Im gonna get me some sex tonight look

SOA_MC
Jan 7th, 2009, 03:58 PM

It's a slam not a Tier II

The AO always sells high ticket sales no matter who or who doesn't show up

new-york
Jan 7th, 2009, 04:09 PM
she does look bored.

well, i hope that she'll be able to play the AO but only if she's really ready.

it must be really tough to miss the first slam of the season, especially when you are the def champ.

wait & see.

raffles
Jan 7th, 2009, 04:24 PM
and Orange, don't forget orange. She's had the bored/sad expression on every pic since the one practicing with the little kid.

Vaidisova Ruled
Jan 7th, 2009, 04:28 PM
http://i43.tinypic.com/6z6kpe.jpg
To marshmallow

nelsondan
Jan 7th, 2009, 05:16 PM
lol, the only look i see on marias face is the Im gonna get me some sex tonight look

Well. We need some pictures of her from today---maybe she is smiling.

As for her looking fat and sad---I looked at some of her September pictures (wow, that black dress)--I don't see any change from then in her face---but if you compare the photos from last night with magazine photoshoots, with their carefully chosen pictures, she looks different. Her face looks thinner at that Tiffany thing in December--but those were awful pictures of her. I liked the way she looked last night.

Ivanovic looks------not quite as tiny as she did last summer, but we have the
oncourt pictures for comparison. Maria looked slightly bigger at Wimbledon than at Australia--she was really thin a year ago.

raffles
Jan 7th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by Tennisstar86
Well not with that guy for sure. She managed to look more interested in him in the last picture.

I agree her extra weight gain has been happening through the year from the AO, but I think at this point it might be getting too much.

doni1212
Jan 7th, 2009, 06:43 PM

Yeah, I agree.

Mashafaaaaan
Jan 7th, 2009, 06:54 PM

Don't worry, she needs competition;)

kasia1992
Jan 7th, 2009, 07:38 PM
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p222/kasia1992/kasia1992x/09_lakers2_large.gif

raffles
Jan 7th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Oh she looks slightly happier in that pic. Still orange and she needs to sort out her roots.

Kipling
Jan 7th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Yeah, I agree.

Given your favorite, you'd certainly be an expert on 'fat'. No coincidence that Keenan Thompson was chosen to play Serena on SNL....

Mashafaaaaan
Jan 7th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Given your favorite, you'd certainly be an expert on 'fat'. No coincidence that Keenan Thompson was chosen to play Serena on SNL....

:lol::lol::lol:you bitter, you know what she mean when she says "fat", of course Maria is not fat, but that's fat for her standards I'd say.

raffles
Jan 7th, 2009, 08:20 PM
I admit calling her fat was rather mean on my part, what of course I really mean is that she's heavier than she normally is. That migh indicate that she isn't in great shape at the moment, I wonder what her fitness will be like at the AO.

Marshmallow
Jan 7th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Hypothetically speaking... If a young Lesbian woman is pressured into a hetero relationship and can't escape the love interest because she isn't injured off work, is it possible that she might in a month or two start to look 'chunkier' and SAD in photos, resulting from nights of loneliness and comfort eating?

raffles
Jan 7th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Hypothetically speaking...that kind of sucks but you know Maria's a big girl. If she got "issues" with her team then she needs to stand up for herself, remember who is running the show.

watchdogfish
Jan 7th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Omg guys Maria's not gay! That's just some stupid rumour started on here that some people have taken as gospel :lol:

As for the thread question my gut feeling is she won't play but I hope that's wrong as it will suck if the defending champion can't defend her title. The tour also desperately needs as many of its stars atm and love her or loathe her Maria is a star.

Having said that she shouldn't rush her return until she's fully healed. I mean looking at the bigger picture why should she risk her health to play one major when she's potentially got another 30-40 ahead of her?

doni1212
Jan 7th, 2009, 09:18 PM

Ok, I agreed with a previous statement and had nothing negative to add, :rolleyes:
Don't get mad at me because your fave is about to become Jennifer Capriati #2, :tape: :devil: