PDA

View Full Version : Is Maria allowed to say anything for herself, any more?

nelsondan
Jan 6th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Maria had this to say on August 29th---not counting the non-tennis stuff--corporate sponsored events, photoshoots, and charitable events---the only actual words of Maria since that time were those in a doodle which many thought might have been written for her.

MOSCOW, August 29 (RIA Novosti) -Russian tennis star Maria Sharapova said on Friday that doctors were to blame for giving her an incorrect diagnosis, which deprived her of a chance to play in the U.S. Open and Beijing Olympics.

"It hurts me so much to miss the Olympics and the U.S. Open. I think this will be the first grand slam I have ever missed."

"I had been playing with the pain for a rather long time," Sharapova said on her Russian-language website. "Even in everyday life, during sleep, I felt it [the pain]."

The Russian tennis star is currently doing extensive rehab and strength work in Arizona. The treatment is due to last several months.

"I knew that this was more than just inflammation. It's a pity that the doctors failed to make the correct diagnosis," Sharapova said, adding that the right diagnosis would have shortened the recovery time

I trust Maria more than all the people who now speak for her. I
have to wonder if she has been told to shut up about her medical stuff.

late in August...
Eisenbud thinks Maria is out until next year

NEW YORK — Maria Sharapova is unlikely to return to the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour this year, her longtime agent, Max Eisenbud, said Wednesday. The reigning Australian Open champion pulled out of the Beijing Olympics and the U.S. Open after an MRI exam in Montreal this month revealed two small tears in her right shoulder.
The 21-year-old Russian — who appeared in New York for opening ceremonies at the year's final major — first injured the shoulder in a fourth-round match at the 2006 U.S. Open and reinjured it in a first round win at Montreal earlier in August, according to Eisenbud.
Sharapova has occasionally had bouts of serving difficulties. Eisenbud said this was likely due to her subconscious effort to move her ball toss and avoid the pain.
The three-time major winner is under doctor's orders not to hit a ball the next four weeks and will spend most of the fall in a hotel in Scottsdale, Ariz., rehabbing her shoulder with Brett Fischer. Fischer is a prominent physical therapist who has worked with many professional baseball players, among them Chicago Cubs' pitcher Kerry Wood.

Her adviser, Max Eisenbud, said: “She’s doing just fine and on track to return for the World Team Challenge on Jan 7-10.”
"She's doing good," Eisenbud said in a telephone interview. "Everything's on track

Early in December, she was able to resume full-time training and her practice sessions are said to have been intense.

She’ll play an exhibition in Hong Kong along with Venus Williams, Jelena Jankovic and Sania Mirza January 7-10,

today---regarding Australia....
"I think she is going to play," Tiley said yesterday. "We have been in communication with her team and while it's not confirmed, I'm confident

DA FOREHAND
Jan 6th, 2009, 08:12 PM
If she knew it was more than inflammation why didn't she go w/her gut feeling? Second, third opinion?

drake3781
Jan 6th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Interesting question on how multi-million-dollar potential earning young athletes are managed.

Or should I say, choose to be managed, because it is, after all, their choice.

goldenlox
Jan 6th, 2009, 08:37 PM
I don't expect creative, original prose from Maria. But she has stopped blogging totally.
I guess Eisenbud is now the voice.

nelsondan
Jan 6th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Yeah, it is her choice. But don't be surprised if she just explodes

with some different ways of dealing with these pr people, soon.

homogenius
Jan 6th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Surely she has a lot of pressure from her team, sponsors etc...and I don't think she's allowed to communicate the way she would.That being said, she's not a victim either : she's a grown up woman now and it's up to her to deal with all that (she wanted the money, there are some consquences).
Anyway, the whole "shoulder thing" is a mess : we don't know if she was already diagnosised a long time ago and choose along with her team not to tell the truth on it, if the thing has really be misdiagnosised etc...but she must have been part of the decisions at some point.

raffles
Jan 6th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Well Max is her agent and hasn't Hollywood told us that all agents are evil money grabbing scumbags.;) I also agree that blog she posted on her website was written by her PR team. I don't know what issues are over at Team Sharapova but she should remember that she's paying them and not the other way around. I would be surprised if they know she's not ready for the AO and have known for a while and PR are just thing to put a good spin on it by creating all the publicity around it. She'll not show up at Melbourne.

Direwolf
Jan 6th, 2009, 09:37 PM
If she knew it was more than inflammation why didn't she go w/her gut feeling? Second, third opinion?

not hard really when
some people put their trust
around those people

hopefully shes atleast ok now...
and yea...
missing your first grandslam in a long while is hard

VishaalMaria
Jan 6th, 2009, 10:25 PM
I thought she withdrew from the Hong Kong exhibition already? I'm totally clueless; it's a bit up and down, we'll just have to see when she's ready. It may, unfortunately, not be in time for the Australian Open though.

clonesheep
Jan 6th, 2009, 11:34 PM
I know my opinion will not be popular, but just to provide a different angle to the situation. Even since the Maria+Camilla episode, I believe Sharapova's agent and PR people have tightened the control of what the public can see and hear. Yes, Maria may have some injury but equally important is that the agents want Maria to lay low for a while for the situation to cool down. This is a critical time for them because if Maria continues her public display of affection for women she risks to have her market value downgraded. We are not talking about just America. A large portion of Sharapova's income comes from global market. There are many places in the world where lesbianism is not accepted.

I also notice that, lately, WTA has been more keen to promote Ana Ivanovic while Maria is sort of fading to the background in WTA Tour's PR front. It's not inconceivable that some at top of WTA heirarchy have concerns of the scenario when their golden girl Maria comes out as a lesbian. Ivanovic, on the other hand, is straight. It did not escape my attention that WTA openly put Ana's involvement with Verdasco and other ATP men in their news items at the WTA Tour website. They are desperate and not too subtle. The majority of the public don't know yet, but the reality is that now when Maria walks into a locker room or a WTA board room, she is perceived as a (latent) lesbian. It's a different world for her and her people now.

The distracting episodes of Maria seeing Dick Ebersol's son and Camilla hanging out with Joe Jonas were pure red herring and publicity stunt. It saddened me that even in 21st century this couple cannot have the peace to enjoy themselves.

I also wish to say that this does not affect me as a spectator of tennis, but I am only one person.

My conclusion is that people at Maria's camp are biding their time to regroup from this minor crisis. I suspect that Sharapova may be physically ready, but mentally she and her people need more time to reinvent themselves.

slamchamp
Jan 6th, 2009, 11:39 PM
I don't think Maria is THAT controlled, I mean she's not a Julia Roberts in terms of popularity!!

Volcana
Jan 6th, 2009, 11:41 PM
Sharapova is an adult. If she's not talking, it's because SHE has decided not to talk. She's not a child, and she's not being 'controlled'.

fufuqifuqishahah
Jan 6th, 2009, 11:56 PM
when will she be eligible for a protected ranking

WIMBLY2004
Jan 7th, 2009, 01:08 AM
I know my opinion will not be popular, but just to provide a different angle to the situation. Even since the Maria+Camilla episode, I believe Sharapova's agent and PR people have tightened the control of what the public can see and hear. Yes, Maria may have some injury but equally important is that the agents want Maria to lay low for a while for the situation to cool down. This is a critical time for them because if Maria continues her public display of affection for women she risks to have her market value downgraded. We are not talking about just America. A large portion of Sharapova's income comes from global market. There are many places in the world where lesbianism is not accepted.

I also notice that, lately, WTA has been more keen to promote Ana Ivanovic while Maria is sort of fading to the background in WTA Tour's PR front. It's not inconceivable that some at top of WTA heirarchy have concerns of the scenario when their golden girl Maria comes out as a lesbian. Ivanovic, on the other hand, is straight. It did not escape my attention that WTA openly put Ana's involvement with Verdasco and other ATP men in their news items at the WTA Tour website. They are desperate and not too subtle. The majority of the public don't know yet, but the reality is that now when Maria walks into a locker room or a WTA board room, she is perceived as a (latent) lesbian. It's a different world for her and her people now.

The distracting episodes of Maria seeing Dick Ebersol's son and Camilla hanging out with Joe Jonas were pure red herring and publicity stunt. It saddened me that even in 21st century this couple cannot have the peace to enjoy themselves.

I also wish to say that this does not affect me as a spectator of tennis, but I am only one person.

My conclusion is that people at Maria's camp are biding their time to regroup from this minor crisis. I suspect that Sharapova may be physically ready, but mentally she and her people need more time to reinvent themselves.

I don't believe that, being beat by a low ranked player in the second round of Wimbledon, then missing for half of the year from the court during in one of her supposed peak years has much more damage to her career than the Lesbian rumors. I don't think her agent would risk that.

Warrior
Jan 7th, 2009, 02:35 AM

While it's possible that her agents were trying to kill 'lesbian rumor', I don't think there was anything going on in reality. There is definately no conspiracy going on here.

Volcana
Jan 7th, 2009, 02:45 AM
I don't really follow the ... what would you call it .... the 'D-list' side of tennis social crap. Who is this 'Camilla'? And what, if anything, does she have anything to do with Sharapova? And please, do me a favor and don't try to sell me wannabe rumors as fact.

Warrior
Jan 7th, 2009, 02:59 AM
I don't really follow the ... what would you call it .... the 'D-list' side of tennis social crap. Who is this 'Camilla'? And what, if anything, does she have anything to do with Sharapova? And please, do me a favor and don't try to sell me wannabe rumors as fact.
Camilla Belle is an actress and a friend of Sharapova. This summer internet rumors started to spread that two are actually a lesbian couple.

http://www.afterellen.com/node/33720

http://s9.zetaboards.com/L_Anonymous/topic/379557/1/

clonesheep
Jan 7th, 2009, 06:03 AM
Camilla Belle is an actress and a friend of Sharapova. This summer internet rumors started to spread that two are actually a lesbian couple.

http://www.afterellen.com/node/33720

http://s9.zetaboards.com/L_Anonymous/topic/379557/1/

It's way more than just a rumor. They were together everywhere. Just look at their affection for each other. It's beyond just firend. The whole thing is plain as daylight but people are in denial.

drake3781
Jan 7th, 2009, 06:28 AM
Definitely the Camilla thing has made Maria even more shielded from displaying a real persona.

It's tricky when so many millions of endorsement and marketing dollars are at stake.

raffles
Jan 7th, 2009, 06:56 AM
I don't know about this Camilla business but anything is possible I guess but you know she's had alot of other problems to deal with at the moment anyway.

clonesheep
Jan 7th, 2009, 07:07 AM
Definitely the Camilla thing has made Maria even more shielded from displaying a real persona.

It's tricky when so many millions of endorsement and marketing dollars are at stake.

That's very true. In the past, when Sharapova was injured she still went out doing a lot of publicity and interviews, but lately she has been rather quiet only let her agents do the talking. I say it's more than an injury. The pain in the shoulder is easy to heal but it's really the ache in the heart that would drag one down.

HRHoliviasmith
Jan 7th, 2009, 03:20 PM
That's very true. In the past, when Sharapova was injured she still went out doing a lot of publicity and interviews, but lately she has been rather quiet only let her agents do the talking. I say it's more than an injury. The pain in the shoulder is easy to heal but it's really the ache in the heart that would drag one down.

:awww:

Vaidisova Ruled
Jan 7th, 2009, 04:32 PM

No way
Nobody knows about supposed "special friendship" between Maria and camilla (It was just on WTAworld and on one or two website).
Those lesbian rumors didn't travell really far

raffles
Jan 7th, 2009, 04:47 PM
No way
Nobody knows about supposed "special friendship" between Maria and camilla (It was just on WTAworld and on one or two website).
Those lesbian rumors didn't travell really far
Well I imagine they were aware of such rumours, if they were particularly bothered about it is another matter.

joćo.
Jan 7th, 2009, 04:49 PM
I think the Camilla story is true! I mean, it's the only way the fact she was/is dating a Jonas can be justified, she was desperate to find a boyfriend fast and dismiss the lesbian rumors. :o OMG!!!1111

TennisForum.com :worship:

:rolleyes:

raffles
Jan 7th, 2009, 04:58 PM
But Joe Jonas, there is desperate and there is uttery barking mad. Unless you are 12 years old in which case you might find Joe Jonas attractive. Also he's apparently that one that's kind of big jerk.

Volcana
Jan 7th, 2009, 05:06 PM
The pain in the shoulder is easy to healI recognize that you're probably just waxing poetic, but if what she had really was a torn rotator cuff thos are NOT easy, or painless, to heal.Camilla Belle is an actress and a friend of Sharapova. This summer internet rumors started to spread that two are actually a lesbian couple.Ah. No doubt followed by lots of people wishing it was true saying that it is, even though there's no actual evidence. Which would actually make her more gunshy of the media than if it were true. Okay. Making sense now.

It's funny. If people would leave these things alone instead of flogging them, when they actually were true, celebrities and sports figures would be a lot more willing to make them public. If a first date becomes a media event, a relationship doesn't have much chance to develop.

raffles
Jan 7th, 2009, 05:09 PM
It's funny. If people would leave these things alone instead of flogging them, when they actually were true, celebrities and sports figures would be a lot more willing to make them public. If a first date becomes a media event, a relationship doesn't have much chance to develop.
What relationship? Anyway its easy for a celeb to have privacy (unless they are Lohon or someone the paps stalk) but they also are egotistical people who want to get their name/face out there to raise their profile. I can't feel bad for them as they are being well rewarded.

Volcana
Jan 7th, 2009, 05:16 PM
What relationship?Precisely

homogenius
Jan 11th, 2009, 03:22 AM
bump

DeLorean
Jan 11th, 2009, 09:44 AM
jeepers they probably stopped hanging out because Camilla Belle started banging that Jonas wuss. She didnt want to be a third wheel i gues. Plus Belle is probably off shooting a film or something

raffles
Jan 11th, 2009, 10:07 AM
If a friend/"special friend" of mine started dating a Jonas brother, making friends with a Jonas brother or even appearing in a video with a Jonas brother they would be DEAD to me from that moment on. Who was icky Jonas Brother cooties.

JadeFox
Jan 11th, 2009, 10:31 AM
I recognize that you're probably just waxing poetic, but if what she had really was a torn rotator cuff thos are NOT easy, or painless, to heal.Ah. No doubt followed by lots of people wishing it was true saying that it is, even though there's no actual evidence. Which would actually make her more gunshy of the media than if it were true. Okay. Making sense now.

Yeah pretty much. People didn't seem to give a shit about Maria and Camilla as a duo until June of last year, when they were running around together at different events for two weeks. And contrary to popular belief they weren't all that attached to the hip to begin with. Camilla was MIA during the all of Maria's claycourt season last year,and she was nowhere to be seen when Maria was on her way to her third Slam title at the Australian Open. She didn't have any excuse to not be with her friend at that time since she didn't start promoting 10,000 BC until late Feburary. Seriously if you were to look at her box during the tournaments Maria played in from 2007-2008, chances are you would NOT see Camilla at all.

To me there are really only two reasons that people believe that Maria and Camilla were a couple: 1) They're both attractive ladies and 2) They hung out together at lot for two weeks last summer. Really this is no different when everyone was swearing up and down that Maria and Roddick were a couple or those people who thought Maria and Novak were romantically together. It's like if there's anyone Maria is friendly with who's neither a relative nor on her payroll will become her boyfriend/girlfriend to gossip watchers.

As for Maria not being able to speak for herself: Please. This is the same woman who objected to doing that WTA Heroes commercial before the Rome tournament. She objected loud and clear. I just don't think Maria can easily be bossed around.

DeLorean
Jan 11th, 2009, 10:43 AM
game set and match JadeFox

raffles
Jan 11th, 2009, 10:45 AM
I don't think everything JadeFox says in accurate actually but that's beside the point. Miss BadLuck is out of the picture and thank god.

JadeFox
Jan 11th, 2009, 11:01 AM
game set and match JadeFox

Thanks.

I don't think everything JadeFox says in accurate actually but that's beside the point. Miss BadLuck is out of the picture and thank god.

Hey if you don't agree that's fine.

At this point though, I don't care who Maria's fucking. I just want to see her in a tennis match again.:sad:

debby
Jan 11th, 2009, 11:05 AM
I agree with Jade Fox's last sentence, but... If, after have spoken about not doing the photoshoot in Rome, she was controlled because that was not good for her image and marketing attrativeness to boycott a photoshoot? You know, there is money, money...

And about Camilla and Maria :

Q: How did you meet Camilla Belle and how did you became friends?

Maria's answer: A mutual friend told both of us that we would really get along and after getting in contact with each other, we became really good friends. Although we have different careers, we have a lot of things in common. She has become a huge tennis fan and also taught me a lot about her side of the world. The cool thing is that we will support each other's careers in different ways.....she will come watch my matches and I will be first in line to see her movies when they come out.

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/2137/sharapovaac085289lw5lb6.jpg

Nuff said. (she is wearing Camilla's ring and Camilla comes from Brazil...)

Really, I feel sorry for Maria and her retirement from Aussie Open.
I don't think she writes like she wants her doodles, there is somebody who checks it out, before putting it online, it makes sense, especially since that Rome and photoshoot story, Larry Scott wasn't really pleased. :tape:

raffles
Jan 11th, 2009, 11:07 AM
At this point though, I don't care who Maria's fucking. I just want to see her in a tennis match again.:sad:
Unfortunatly, that looks like a long time coming which might be why there has been so much talk about other off-court things surronding Maria.

bad_angel_109
Jan 11th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Hmm, interesting...altho my first thought be be that wouldn't she go with her intuition if she was having doubts about the doctor's diagnosis? At least get a second or third opinion about her shoulder condition? hmm

JadeFox
Jan 11th, 2009, 11:30 AM
I agree with Jade Fox's last sentence, but... If, after have spoken about not doing the photoshoot in Rome, she was controlled because that was not good for her image and marketing attrativeness to boycott a photoshoot? You know, there is money, money...

Well then I guess that someone probably got into her ear about yelling "Up Your Fucking Ass!" to the French crowd :lol: but I don't think Maria is really being all that controlled. I would bet a lot of money that her people would want her in a tennis tournament ASAP because her winning matches is what ultimately makes them money. I wouldn't be surprised if not playing in Australia was Maria's decision.

And about Camilla and Maria

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/2137/sharapovaac085289lw5lb6.jpg

Nuff said. (she is wearing Camilla's ring and Camilla comes from Brazil...)

I read that Q&A question a while back. I bet that mutual friend was probably Vera Wang since they both know her. You forgot the shirt she's wearing was designed by Camilla for charity. Hell the whole GGG club got started from that outfit from the Rome press conference!:lol:

I didn't know about the ring but that's probably because that ring looks nothing special to me. Someone with Maria's money could easily buy it for herself.

Because I'm bored and curious I went on some Camilla Belle fansite and looked at pictures. I don't see any pictures of her wearing that ring. :shrug:

raffles
Jan 11th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Most of Maria's money come from endorcements not winning tournaments. Maria should have been fined by the WTA for swearing at the French crowd, even though they deserved it. I can't imagine that someone wouldn't have said something to her about it.

JadeFox
Jan 11th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Most of Maria's money come from endorcements not winning tournaments. Maria should have been fined by the WTA for swearing at the French crowd, even though they deserved it. I can't imagine that someone wouldn't have said something to her about it.

She makes a lot of money from endorsements sure, but she wouldn't have made as much money if she hadn't won Wimbledon (and two more Slams) at 17. A couple of years ago in a Forbes magazine article, which she was on the cover, they basically say that her endorsement deals rely heavily on how many tournaments, Slams especially, she wins.

What people don't seem to realize, a lot of companies were jaded by the fact that Anna Kournikova really didn't live up to her potential when she was younger and they were reluctant to go down that road again with Maria. That's why the endorsements didn't pour in until AFTER she won Wimbledon. Prior to that she only had the basic clothing/racquet deals and a deal for a badminton game. Seriously. So yeah her peeps are probably itching for her to get back on the WTA Tour.

Damn. I guess it's obvious now that I've followed Maria's career for a while huh?:lol:

raffles
Jan 11th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Of course they want to see her court winning to increase her profile in terms of promoting their brand, particularly the sporting goods she advertises. I wonder whats going to happen to her endorcements this year considering the possibility that she will be out for a few months this year as well and the economic downturn. She might not be bringing in the same money as she did in previous years.