PDA

View Full Version : Auckland 1R: Anne Keothavong def. [WC] Mirjana Lucic 6-4 6-2

Dave.
Jan 6th, 2009, 03:52 AM
Well done Anne! :bounce:

Not the best quality match, both hitting alot of errors but Anne won all the big points, ran down everything and served it out to love. She looks like she belongs in the main draw of tour events now, which is good to see.

~Cherry*Blossom~
Jan 6th, 2009, 03:53 AM
Anne :hearts:

Temperenka
Jan 6th, 2009, 03:53 AM
:bounce:

CJ07
Jan 6th, 2009, 03:54 AM
Why did they give her a WC again?

Dexter
Jan 6th, 2009, 03:55 AM
Great to see Anne winning her first match of the year! :D
Wow, Mirjana bashes this poor ball so hard, but as a result she made so many UEs. Even Anne said in the interview 'she's all-or-nothing player' :lol:. Funny comments about the crowd too! :lol:

CoryAnnAvants#1
Jan 6th, 2009, 03:57 AM
Why did they give her a WC again?

Agreed. It wasn't like this was a Date-Krumm situation where she won a bunch of challengers. Mirjana can't even get past the qualifying half the time when she plays challengers these days.

I'm glad she FINALLY played a full schedule last year, but she's not ready for WTA level yet at all.

iGOAT
Jan 6th, 2009, 04:00 AM
Mirjana :sad: better than I expected though :p

sammy01
Jan 6th, 2009, 04:04 AM
keep it up anne all the way to the top 50 woooooooo

Vincey!
Jan 6th, 2009, 04:07 AM
Horrible match lol...but at least Anne won :D ;)

Drake1980
Jan 6th, 2009, 04:09 AM
Too bad Mirjana! Wow did she ever look thin compared to her teenage days.

Slutiana
Jan 6th, 2009, 04:11 AM
BAd match, but yeah a win is a win and im sure Anne was nervous considering it was her first match. Funny comments about the drunk men. :lol:

Bed time! :help:

Play_Suspended
Jan 6th, 2009, 04:11 AM
Well done Anne, pick it up for R2! Loved the comment about the 'drunk' crowd:lol:

So Disrespectful
Jan 6th, 2009, 04:17 AM
:sad: I don't think Mirjana can make it back.

iGOAT
Jan 6th, 2009, 04:25 AM
Well done Anne, pick it up for R2! Loved the comment about the 'drunk' crowd:lol:
what was it? I didn't hear :lol:

alwayshingis
Jan 6th, 2009, 05:51 AM
I missed the match :sad:

So glad Anne won, she should keep moving up the rankings as she is not defending very much from the beginning of the year.

Could anyone tell me what she said about the crowd?

CJ07
Jan 6th, 2009, 06:00 AM
:sad: I don't think Mirjana can make it back.
Its been a decade - it ain't happening.

What I don't understand is that these girls find it so difficult to put spin on the ball and keep it in. I was watching some Venus matches from 1999 and thats precisely what she used to do. Just spin the ball around the court and THEN go for a shot. This was after her days of every other ball going out. She choked at the big matches, but overall she had such a solid year because she would just loop the ball around to keep it in the damn lines.

Its NOT hard. If you're missing every other shot, just spin the ball in and move your opponent around and then go for the winner after a 8-10 stroke rally. Jeez

Marionated
Jan 6th, 2009, 06:00 AM
Anne :yeah:

Lulu.
Jan 6th, 2009, 06:19 AM
Mirjana. :sad:

Keep on trucking.

Imperfect Angel
Jan 6th, 2009, 06:20 AM
Congrats Anne!:yeah:

patch.
Jan 6th, 2009, 06:39 AM
Good win. Obviously she needs to fine tune some sutff, I wasnt expecting a match against Lucic to be winner after winner, but expected consdiering this is just the first match. A straight sets win is nice to see, especially over a possibly tricky opponent. First hurdle overcame, Well Done Anne :yeah:

Dodoboy.
Jan 6th, 2009, 06:59 AM
BAd match, but yeah a win is a win and im sure Anne was nervous considering it was her first match. Funny comments about the drunk men. :lol:

Bed time! :help:

Oh my! :lol:

Well done Anne :bounce::bounce:

Next match is winnable :D

serenus_2k8
Jan 6th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Urgh I am exhausted after watching it but it was worth it to see Anne win :D Congrats!!!

Do you guys think she can make it 2 in a row?

Ballbasher
Jan 6th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Miki :( :hug:

Dawson.
Jan 6th, 2009, 09:52 AM
seems like a lot a brits stayed up to watch the match! :lol: its a pitty it wasn't of a high quality, but at least anne is through. Next match is winnable, lets not get ahead of ourselves ;)

well done anne :bounce:

Play_Suspended
Jan 6th, 2009, 10:04 AM
what was it? I didn't hear :lol:

There were a couple of guys in the crowd yelling out stuff like "Anne, woohoo!". The interviewer said "you seem to have good support here" and Anne replied "I think they've been drinking a bit!".

Monica_Rules
Jan 6th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Well Done Anne:) Good start to the year, shame for Mirjana though. Keep plugging away.

I think Anne has a great shot vs Surez who i don't think is that good of a player.

thegoose
Jan 6th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Haha. Well done Anne! Hope she gets through the next round!

Escape
Jan 6th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Well done Anne :)

markdelaney
Jan 6th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Its been a decade - it ain't happening.

What I don't understand is that these girls find it so difficult to put spin on the ball and keep it in. I was watching some Venus matches from 1999 and thats precisely what she used to do. Just spin the ball around the court and THEN go for a shot. This was after her days of every other ball going out. She choked at the big matches, but overall she had such a solid year because she would just loop the ball around to keep it in the damn lines.

Its NOT hard. If you're missing every other shot, just spin the ball in and move your opponent around and then go for the winner after a 8-10 stroke rally. Jeez

Sadly she is totally one dimensional and never plays "percentage tennis" hence her very poor career record on winning or saving break points. The game is clearly still there but not until she cuts down on the huge amount of unforced errors. The way she plays, the result will be the same whether she plays the world number 60 or the world number 600 as results proved last year.

The comparison with Venus is very interesting. I remember the US Open match from 2001 when Venus won 6-0 6-0. Mirjana hit one screaming winner in every game and at least 3 horrendously overhit forehands, hitting a total of 30 unforced errors in just 12 games. After one ripping forehand winner, Elise Burgin described her as "Totally uno dimensional and if she could hit 4 of those every game she would be a champion but she has no plan B"

Nice to see her back on the screen anyway. There was very little between them in the first set and she lost a couple of service games from winning positions through stupid errors. On grass she could still do some damage.

Well done Anne and good luck in the next round.:)

ce
Jan 6th, 2009, 10:49 AM
:tape:

Farina Elia Fan
Jan 6th, 2009, 11:12 AM
:woohoo:

A great chance to make the QF

Navratil
Jan 6th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Sad story...

Mirjana was such a great player - 10 years ago!

That was actually a very good draw for her. But she wasn't able to take this chance!

:mad:

Sharapova's_Boy
Jan 6th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Mirjana :(

Hope she goes back and plays some 25K-50K's.

$uricate
Jan 6th, 2009, 01:15 PM
:banana:

This year is gonna be so exciting for Anne. She's on a roll, and clearly has the mentallity that she belongs to be where she is. I love how she has just gone for it, there was a lot of talk about her goals and she has actually just stepped it up and acheived them.

I guess the difference between players in the top 100 compared to the 101-250 range is the mindset and work ethic cause there are a lot of talented girls that dont make it and Im so glad Anne has.

I hope she can continue to win at WTA level all year and push for a new high.

Randy H
Jan 6th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Nice start to the year for Anne :) Truthfully you can't expect many players to play much of a clean match against Lucic because Mirjana's game is so erratic that it's near impossible to get into any lengthy rallies and find rhythm in your own game. Next match should be a more interesting challenge for her, as Suarez will provide a very different type of game for her to contend with. Hopefully she is feeling good and can keep it going :)

Dexter
Jan 6th, 2009, 01:27 PM
There were a couple of guys in the crowd yelling out stuff like "Anne, woohoo!". The interviewer said "you seem to have good support here" and Anne replied "I think they've been drinking a bit!".Yeah and then the interviewer asked her, what about those who haven't been drinking and she said something like 'Maybe they should! :lol:

HardCandy
Jan 6th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Lucic is so crap.
I don't think I've seen a player who is more brainless than her. I thought I wouldn't see a performance that bad since I watched that Date match the other day.

Sean.
Jan 6th, 2009, 01:56 PM
:woohoo: Anne

Good luck next round :kiss:

-Sonic-
Jan 6th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Next match is very winnable :) I'm excited to see what happens :D

I definitely think Anne will end 09 many places higher than when she started, no question.

serenus_2k8
Jan 6th, 2009, 01:58 PM
I agree, Anne is really living up to her potential.

Good luck with Carla :D

JAMESYBABY!
Jan 6th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Annieee :D:D,,

well done for the first win ,, may have no been so good ,, but hay ! wins a win :D

good luck against surez,, has a chance:D

lucic :sad:

Sander.
Jan 6th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Congratulations Anne:)

serenus_2k8
Jan 6th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Why is everyone such a fan of Lucic? She scares the crap outta me :o

WhatTheDeuce
Jan 6th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Mirjana's done as a top-level tennis player, unfortunately. I can officially say that after seeing this match. :sad:

CrossCourt~Rally
Jan 6th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Nice going Anne! :bounce: The top 50 is in sight :angel:

Mirjana :hug:

PamShriver
Jan 6th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Onward Queen Anne!

Wintermute
Jan 6th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Expected result. :) Good luck against Carla.

Nice to see Anne getting a little bit of press in the UK too. The Observer were bigging her up on Sunday, saying it was a shame there hadn't been more coverage in the UK of her success in 2008.

cn ireland
Jan 6th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Hard luck Lucic, she still has alot of work to do judging by this scoreline:(!

Still its good to see her in the MD of a WTA event again:yeah:!

Ciarán
Jan 6th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Anne :worship:

Mirjana :hug:

SvetaPleaseWin.
Jan 6th, 2009, 08:24 PM
yes anne yesssss

keep it up :)

Lapin
Jan 7th, 2009, 12:17 AM
Well done Anne! :bigclap:

Sorry for Mariana (sp?) though....