PDA

View Full Version : Brisbane 2R - Vika Azarenka def. Jarmila Gajdosova 7-6 7-5

Natash.
Jan 6th, 2009, 04:18 AM
Well, Vika has always been very talented but that attitude has to go. Jarka played great, too loose at times but what a great ball she strikes. Very positive performance from her.

iGOAT
Jan 6th, 2009, 04:20 AM
Aww Jarka :sad::hug: The first match point :eek::spit:

Dexter
I woke up just to see Jarka wasting a BP to go *6-5 up in the 2nd, and the next thing I saw was her makes 3 terrible UEs (going for broke) and fall 0-40 on her serve. Not the nicest of handshakes after... :unsure:

Amalgamate
:worship: Thank god you won that Vika. Not your usual scoreline though :lol: I heard the match was pretty fiery and I only saw the last two points, can anyone give me a good recap?

Royzenka
Jan 6th, 2009, 04:21 AM
Very dramatic and intense match, Vika was going crazy and I was liking it :P But very nice rallies and clean hard hitting from both players, great match, was hoping for 3rd set though

Wiggly
Azarenka usually dominates in the early rounds.
Good play by Jarmila. Keep up.

Good luck in the QFs, Vika.

So Disrespectful
Horrible overrule on match point against Azarenka, and I'm saying this as a Jarmila fan. Not only was the ball very close, it was also out. The chair umpire had no business in making that call.

Viktoria was clearly frustrated with the bad line calls, but she went a bit too far. Jarka though, played amazing tennis. She's been working hard and it's obviously paying off. I'd like to see her in the top 50 soon.

Pasta-Na
Jan 6th, 2009, 04:22 AM
jarmila is an australia, right? :p

Shafanovic.
Jan 6th, 2009, 04:23 AM
Yep, Jarmilla played great. Got the Aussies on her side. Azarenka was complaining a lot. Umpire over ruled on match point. She complained again saying he's Aussie and she's Aussie. :secret: And she's not even Aussie yeat :secret: but that's not the point. I lost a bit of respect for Azarenka. She was swearing and I don't know. Her attitude is just disgusting.

Great match overall. Well done to Jarmilla and I'm happy she will be Aussie soon. :)

Vika accused the umpire of unfairly siding with Jarmila because they are both 'Australian'. She looked pissed lol

Natash.
:worship: Thank god you won that Vika. Not your usual scoreline though :lol: I heard the match was pretty fiery and I only saw the last two points, can anyone give me a good recap?

Well, the first set was very close. Vika was frustrated with the line calls throughout and gave death glares to the chair umpire. Jarka hits such a clean ball and hit gorgeous winners but I think at times, she was very loose and shot selection needs to improve. I was impressed by Vika that she didn't let the match points get to her. Nothing separated much during the rallies except the shot selection and perhaps movement which Vika does well. Nice hard hitting rallies and it was a fun match.

Shafanovic.
Jan 6th, 2009, 04:24 AM
jarmila is an australia, right? :p

Not yet.

Natash.
Jan 6th, 2009, 04:25 AM
Horrible overrule on match point against Azarenka, and I'm saying this as a Jarmila fan. Not only was the ball very close, it was also out. The chair umpire had no business in making that call.

Viktoria was clearly frustrated with the bad line calls, but she went a bit too far. Jarka though, played amazing tennis. She's been working hard and it's obviously paying off. I'd like to see her in the top 50 soon.

The ball was close but the fact that it was on such an important point--match point. Classy display of emotions from Jarka though and the crowd liked her throughout :)

Droolv
Brisbane really needs Hawkeye :rolls:

Jarka played very good however her groundstrokes were loose at times ;)

Wow Vika was really angry :eek: :help:

Hachiko
Bitch.

juki
Jan 6th, 2009, 04:26 AM
Great match really, very entertaining with all the drama. I love Vika's death glares, but accusing the umpire of favoritism was a bit much. Both were getting screwed by calls, wish they had the challenge system here.

Jarka was great, no doubt top-50 this year, probably even higher since she has so little to defend. Vika didn't play bad by any means and Jarka gave her all she could handle. Great shotmaking by both.

TennisPlayingFox
Jan 6th, 2009, 04:26 AM
Very high quality match. Azarenka was complaining the whole match about the lines calls, how much time Jarmila was taking, and of course the overule on matchpoint, accusing the umpire of making all the calls against her because both him and Gajdosova were australian. The overule on matchpoint was REALLY close so it was ceartinly understandable that Azarenka would get frustrated. Really enjoyed this match though.

Shafanovic.
Jan 6th, 2009, 04:27 AM
How come they got Gajdosova to represent for Australia at last year's AO and then now she's back to SVK?

IT WAS a win-win situation for Australia's newest tennis player, even though she was a first-round loser at Melbourne Park yesterday. Jarmila Gajdosova represented her adopted country for the first time in front of a near full house on Rod Laver Arena against defending champion Serena Williams.

Anyway.. this was her last year.. SO MUCH HOTTER NOW!

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2008/01/14/cns_jarmila_gajdosova_narrowweb__300x428,0.jpg

GeeTee
Jan 6th, 2009, 04:30 AM
How come they got Gajdosova to represent for Australia at last year's AO and then now she's back to SVK?
Her citizenship (Australia has really tough rules) has yet to come through and she (and Rodionova) are only tagged with AUS at Grand Slam and ITF events. WTA rules mean they are still listed as SVK and RUS respectively.

louisa.
Jan 6th, 2009, 04:30 AM
Desparetly :lol:
Well done Vika :yeah: Her little explosion at the umpire was funny :lol:
Jarka :hug:

Josh.
Jan 6th, 2009, 04:31 AM
Jarka :sobbing: Great fight.

aussie_fan
Jan 6th, 2009, 04:31 AM
Vika is bit of a bitch, the way she carried on was inexcuseable, usually i say umpries give out warning too easily but Vika really deserved one. She clearly swore a few times, at one time it was an "F*** you" to the crowd. Most of the calls were fairly correct of course apart from the match point one. Defiantely lost my respect there Vika.

Too many loose shots from Jarka, probably should won at least one set. But the game is there.

Shafanovic.
Jan 6th, 2009, 04:33 AM
Ohhh okay.. Thanks for the explanation GeeTee

I hope she comes to Sydney. I want to see her play! BADLY! :sobbing:

Harvs
Jan 6th, 2009, 04:33 AM
god vika is cold lol... not the slightest smile after winning... didnt even look jarka in the eyes after SHE won... didnt laugh or anything in the pre-match interview when the guy was joking...

good player tho lol

jarks:hug:

Shafanovic.
Jan 6th, 2009, 04:35 AM
Yay

PerfectForm
Jan 6th, 2009, 04:35 AM
Vika, tough win but a wins a win :) Anyway, I thought she had her temper under control. Last season, she seemed to have matured so much ??

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 6th, 2009, 04:39 AM
close edgy match
phew Vika got through in 2 :) :hug:

not seen Jarmila play that good for quite a while, she's got her confidence up :)

Mateo Mathieu
Jan 6th, 2009, 04:40 AM
They need it badly. The linepersons did poor job today :o

Amalgamate
Jan 6th, 2009, 04:41 AM
Vika did sign a lot of autographs after the match :)

Dave.
Jan 6th, 2009, 04:50 AM
Well done Vika! I only got to see the first set as my livestream messed up but it didn't look like the cleanest of matches. Still good she got through.

Mikey.
Jan 6th, 2009, 05:28 AM
Vika wasn't playing her absolute best but I'm glad she was able to pull out a win. :D

Jarmila was playing really great and did well to take Vika past 5-5 in both sets.

And yes, Vika was being a little moany during the match but there were a lot of bad calls. :lol:

kyk710
Jan 6th, 2009, 05:35 AM
Both of these girls played pretty well, I knew Vika could play like that but Jarmila was very impressive. That attitude though on Azarenka... In the first set after losing a game on Gajdosova's serve when she lost a few break points Vika was going on and on to the chair about how Jarmila was taking "45 seconds between every point, just walking around, do something about it, etc.," when Jarmila was just taking a pretty normal amount of time. Vika complained pretty much the whole changeover, then proceeded to hold up her hand to slow Gajdosova down twice during her next service game, while making sure to take her own sweet time on her own serve :lol: ...

Shafanovic.
Jan 6th, 2009, 05:47 AM
Held up Gajdosova a bit :shrug: I don't know what she was complaining about.

Huntress55
Jan 6th, 2009, 06:25 AM
:( That sucks! I was really hoping Jarmila would win this!
Man that Azarenka is annoying!

ElusiveChanteuse
Jan 6th, 2009, 06:40 AM
Vika :lol: Starting to become a bitch I see.:devil: Maybe she thought she'll win here since she was a finalist last year and thought she could complain anything.:devil: :p
Jarmila :hug:
Vika ;)

Harju.
Jan 6th, 2009, 06:41 AM
LOL @ glaring Vika! :hearts:
Congrats!

alwayshingis
Jan 6th, 2009, 06:49 AM
Azarenka :rolleyes:

Confirmed her status as my least favorite top 20 player. She complains constantly and rarely with any grounds for complaint. Most of her arguments in the first set were about balls that were clearly on the line.

Nikkiri
Jan 6th, 2009, 06:51 AM
Vika's attitude was disgusting :o Bad luck Jarka :hug:

Amalgamate
Jan 6th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Man, lots of Vika hate...

Lulu.
Jan 6th, 2009, 07:08 AM
Well done Vika. :yeah:

Jarka. :hug:

Marionated
Jan 6th, 2009, 07:12 AM
A win is a win.

Mr.Kardashian
Jan 6th, 2009, 07:14 AM
okay i used to be apathetic towards vika and there are very few players i loathe but i really dislike her now :(

"what is your problem with me today?! you are australian, she is australian...." that comment was uncalled for - sure there were some dodgy calls but both players were copping them.

jarka should be very proud she struck the ball well, moved well and served well showed top50 form for sure

Keadz
Jan 6th, 2009, 07:22 AM
Don't know how anyone can be a fan of Vika, what a bitch. Swearing at the crowd, the umpire and kicking balls and giving Jarmila no credit at all for any good shot she hit. The only good thing about her in this match was when she said "Get some fucking balls"(or something like that) to the umpire because he was to scared to over rule. Then the umpire was like "AZARENKA" talking down to her like a pretentious asshole. I didn't like him much. But yeah, she needs to get over herself because she was acting like a spoiled brat.

Jarmila is a great girl, basically the polar opposite of Vika. She could laugh off the bad calls and was sending back DEATH stares to the other end of the court, just staring at Vika during her temper tantrums. She really played well and her movement has improved HEAPS. She was striking the ball great but just needs to work on shot selection. Hopefully she goes up the rankings and can finally get AUS next to her name.

This tournament needs hawk eye and they need to improve the net cord thing.

Amalgamate
Jan 6th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Don't know how anyone can be a fan of Vika, what a bitch. Swearing at the crowd, the umpire and kicking balls and giving Jarmila no credit at all for any good shot she hit. The only good thing about her in this match was when she said "Get some fucking balls"(or something like that) to the umpire because he was to scared to over rule. Then the umpire was like "AZARENKA" talking down to her like a pretentious asshole. I didn't like him much. But yeah, she needs to get over herself because she was acting like a spoiled brat.

Jarmila is a great girl, basically the polar opposite of Vika. She could laugh off the bad calls and was sending back DEATH stares to the other end of the court, just staring at Vika during her temper tantrums. She really played well and her movement has improved HEAPS. She was striking the ball great but just needs to work on shot selection. Hopefully she goes up the rankings and can finally get AUS next to her name.

Because all of your favorites are consistently angels on the court :rolleyes:

Berlin_Calling
Jan 6th, 2009, 07:32 AM
VIKA :bounce:

iGOAT
It was a fun match :D but yeah Vika :help: I think she gained some haters today :lol: (Well actually I know she did: me. Sorry to her fans :p)

aussie_fan

Yes, the net cord is horrible, same siuation happened in the men's match later too, really bad.

They also need to find a camera angle where it doesn't look like I'm watching the match from space.

iGOAT
Jan 6th, 2009, 07:35 AM
Doesn't Vika play doubles with A-Rod sometimes :help::tape:

Keadz
Jan 6th, 2009, 07:36 AM
Because all of your favorites are consistently angels on the court :rolleyes:

If any of my favorites acted like that on court, they would not be my favorite. It wasn't just one thing she did, it was continuous whining and acting up. She complained about Jarka wasting time, what a hypocrite. She complains about bad line calls and she didn't even see half of them bounce. The swears at the crowd for cheering for an Aussie and a MUCH nicer person. Then the handshake at the end and how she acted after the match was just as bad during the match.

So even if my favorites complained or chucked a fit, I don't think it would equal what she did today.

Amalgamate
Jan 6th, 2009, 07:38 AM
If any of my favorites acted like that on court, they would not be my favorite. It wasn't just one thing she did, it was continuous whining and acting up. She complained about Jarka wasting time, what a hypocrite. She complains about bad line calls and she didn't even see half of them bounce. The swears at the crowd for cheering for an Aussie and a MUCH nicer person. Then the handshake at the end and how she acted after the match was just as bad during the match.

So even if my favorites complained or chucked a fit, I don't think it would equal what she did today.

She was perfectly fine after the match. She hit the autographed balls into the crowd and happily signed autographs for kids.

Mr.Kardashian
Jan 6th, 2009, 07:38 AM
i agree - the cold handshake at the end - was absolutely rude - she may be a good tennis player but she is NOT a good sportsman.

Mr.Kardashian
Jan 6th, 2009, 07:40 AM
She was perfectly fine after the match. She hit the autographed balls into the crowd and happily signed autographs for kids.

she did it with a cold expression on her face - she didnt smile once. and only because she had to - the organisers told her to.

i dont mean to be rude to fans of vika its fine that u support her and she obviously a strong top 20 player but i just lost all respect for her today sorry

Amalgamate
Jan 6th, 2009, 07:43 AM
The organizers did urge her to hit the balls into the crowd. But organizers do not force players to sign autographs, time after time players walk off the court without signing autographs.
Sorry you guys lost respect for Vika.

So Disrespectful
Jan 6th, 2009, 07:46 AM
Yes, the net cord is horrible, same siuation happened in the men's match later too, really bad.

They also need to find a camera angle where it doesn't look like I'm watching the match from space.

I hate that angle! You get no sense of perception for the trajectory or spin of the balls. It also makes it very difficult to tell where the balls are landing on and around certain lines.

Mr.Kardashian
Jan 6th, 2009, 07:46 AM
its actually expected of the players to do that after a win on Pat Rafter Arena - its a tradition the Brisbane event is starting for the tournament - not very original i know but if a player wins on centre court there thats what the are meant to do. what im saying is she obviously only did it because of this - there was absolutely no warmth in the gesture at all and the crowd didnt even cheer or scream for the balls as they usually do.

on a positive note - azarenka's movement really impressed me. her footwork was great

aussie_fan
Jan 6th, 2009, 07:51 AM
I hate that angle! You get no sense of perception for the trajectory or spin of the balls. It also makes it very difficult to tell where the balls are landing on and around certain lines.

Exactly, it shits me, you watch a shot, it might look like it might be going but lands a metre or two long. It's really hard to watch tennis from.

It was interesting to see they didn't do an on-court interview with Vika, because she was so damn cold for the whole match, nobody like her at the end. Vika should be glad she played in Australia, she would of got booed off the court in many places for what she did today.

Mikey.
Jan 6th, 2009, 07:51 AM

:spit: I know right. :lol: It's so annoying. :o

Mr.Kardashian
Jan 6th, 2009, 07:52 AM
the crowd were nice considering :lol: oh and that poor umpire - i doubt we'll see any promotions for him

Medina
Jan 6th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Vika :rocker2: :lol: i loved your attitude in this match :lol:

Jarka played great, but fell short, made too many UE when not needed.

Good luck in Quaters Vika :D

Dani12
Jan 6th, 2009, 08:11 AM
I loved when Vika started swearing and the umpire was like a dissapointed father, giving her a stern sideways look.."Azarenkaa..." :lol: That was classic.

kangaroo
Jan 6th, 2009, 08:50 AM
great quality match. gajdosova was very impressive though some loose shots at crucial times but i'm sure that would come with experience, definitely a new fan of her. didn't particularly like azarenka's attitude.

another note, can someone tell me why on earth this event does not have hawkeye? i mean it's not like the centre is old or that hawkeye is about to be eliminated from the game :confused:

Alex72
Jan 6th, 2009, 08:52 AM
I loved when Vika started swearing and the umpire was like a dissapointed father, giving her a stern sideways look.."Azarenkaa..." :lol: That was classic.

Yep she looked surprised by that....

Christinawww
Jan 6th, 2009, 08:57 AM
I am still a fan of Vika, but I don't agree with her behavior today. Usually I like a little bit of temper every now and then, I like to see that the player care and is involved, but she went a bit overboard today. I'll give her the benefit of a doubt and say she had serious PMS.
I became a fan of hers when I saw her live in Berlin beating Chakvetadze. She was the nicest to fans. I went down and got her autograph and she smiled and talked, signed for a long time, and had patience with all those who wanted to take pictures.

Alex72
Jan 6th, 2009, 09:35 AM
I`ve seen her play live also, twice, and she showed none of that kind of behavior. She is intense and a very fun player to watch up close. But not the best move, upsetting the Australians at the beginning of their tennis season. Hopefully she can win them back. I do give her credit for keeping her composure in the face of all the disappointments and closing out the match.

Привет
Jan 6th, 2009, 09:50 AM
i agree - the cold handshake at the end - was absolutely rude - she may be a good tennis player but she is NOT a good sportsman.
Well to be correct, she's not a sportsman at all.

I'm not going to say that I've lost respect for Azarenka or whatever, because honestly, who really cares how I feel about her. She obviously was not behaving that well on court today, but she's no McEnroe for crying out loud. Allow the girl to be human and make mistakes. Although if you've never behaved badly, feel free to throw the first stone. :shrug:

Привет
Jan 6th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Oh and good job to Jarmila! :yeah: I thought it was incredibly cute to see her fiance in the crowds looking just as if not more nervous than she did. :lol:

lee station
Jan 6th, 2009, 10:15 AM
jarmila :hug:

zveeen
Jan 6th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Vika :yeah:

VIKA?
Jan 6th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Vika:bounce::worship:

adrovi
Jan 6th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Good luck in QF Vika ;)

pwayne
Jan 6th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Match was interesting. Jarmila can hit the ball big but if she does not improve her shot selection, she won't make the Top 20. She played better when she was down but when it was even or ahead, she played a loose point. Victoria attitude will have to improve even though she had a valid point on the overrule on match point.

Sharapova's_Boy
Jan 6th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Allez Vika.

She did what she needed to do. Really showed how much she has mentally improved.

Russianboy
Jan 6th, 2009, 01:21 PM
can anyone upload the last part where vika got angry ? :wavey:

BuTtErFrEnA
Jan 6th, 2009, 01:39 PM

you do realise you are a patty fan right :spit: i don't think i need to go further :rolls:

anyways....go vika!!!!!

Daniel K
Jan 6th, 2009, 01:50 PM
you do realise you are a patty fan right :spit: i don't think i need to go further :rolls:

anyways....go vika!!!!!

LOL! owned.

Sander.
Jan 6th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Vika:inlove

Congratulations:yeah:

gmak
Jan 6th, 2009, 05:41 PM
vika :yeah: :D :)

wally1
Jan 6th, 2009, 06:43 PM
I hate that angle! You get no sense of perception for the trajectory or spin of the balls. It also makes it very difficult to tell where the balls are landing on and around certain lines.I have to agree, it's truly terrible. There must be somewhere they could stick a camera a bit lower down!

Hayato
Jan 6th, 2009, 11:37 PM
Azarenka's attitude is very repulsive. I sympathise with her fans, because she is hugely talented, but combined with her attitude she is very hard to like. Definitely not a player I like.

Gajdosova may have lost the match scorewise, but she won a hell of a lot more fans than Azarenka did :lol: Azarenka just made it harder for herself.

Jarmila seems to be a really nice girl, with a wonderful smile and attitude! And a good, solid game too. She has improved a great deal since this time last year.