View Full Version : Bollettieri on Williams sisters

MRUK
Jan 5th, 2009, 10:53 PM
This is worth a read. Chats about all sorts and Laura Robson too

http://alexkayblog.dailymail.co.uk/

Bijoux0021
Jan 5th, 2009, 11:06 PM
On the Williams sisters...
'When the Williams sisters were healthy, no one was in their class. Right now, if they are healthy, they are certainly the girls to beat. But remember, they are getting on for 25, 26. As long as the girls know what they’ve done, that’s really what counts.

'My good friend Arthur Ashe said self-satisfaction is the greatest gift in the world. Those girls know what they’ve done. They’ve got 15, 16 Grand Slams.

'If the world appreciates them, that’s up to the world. If you go through life worrying if people appreciate you, you’ re wasting your own life!"

supergrunt
Jan 5th, 2009, 11:27 PM
Preach!

darrinbaker00
Jan 5th, 2009, 11:43 PM
If I read that quote correctly, I would have to conclude that Nick Bollettieri thinks that the Williams sisters' best tennis is behind them. I certainly don't believe that's the case, and if Mr. Bollettieri believes that's the case, he needs to find another line of work.

Volcana
Jan 5th, 2009, 11:50 PM
If I read that quote correctly, I would have to conclude that Nick Bollettieri thinks that the Williams sisters' best tennis is behind them. I certainly don't believe that's the case, and if Mr. Bollettieri believes that's the case, he needs to find another line of work.You have to be pretty aggressively negative to get the
'the Williams sisters' best tennis is behind them'
out of
''When the Williams sisters were healthy, no one was in their class. Right now, if they are healthy, they are certainly the girls to beat.'"

And, in all probability, they ARE closer to the end of their careers than the beginning. For that not to be true, they'd have to play til 2020.

darrinbaker00
Jan 5th, 2009, 11:57 PM
You have to be pretty aggressively negative to get the
'the Williams sisters' best tennis is behind them'
out of
''When the Williams sisters were healthy, no one was in their class. Right now, if they are healthy, they are certainly the girls to beat.'"

And, in all probability, they ARE closer to the end of their careers than the beginning. For that not to be true, they'd have to play til 2020.
If he didn't feel that way, then why bring age into it? Just because they're close to 30 than they are to 20 doesn't mean that they're in decline. I think their matches against each other at Wimbledon and the US Open are proof positive that their best tennis is still ahead of them, if they choose to bring it out of themselves.

Direwolf
Jan 6th, 2009, 01:21 AM
If he didn't feel that way, then why bring age into it? Just because they're close to 30 than they are to 20 doesn't mean that they're in decline. I think their matches against each other at Wimbledon and the US Open are proof positive that their best tennis is still ahead of them, if they choose to bring it out of themselves.

bringing their old age to tennis
is more of a compliment really...
its like saying
Navratilova at 46 still winning matches at GS
comparing to a girl half her age
still finding it hard to win matches on ITF circuit

darrinbaker00
Jan 6th, 2009, 01:26 AM
bringing their old age to tennis
is more of a compliment really...
its like saying
Navratilova at 46 still winning matches at GS
comparing to a girl half her age
still finding it hard to win matches on ITF circuit
THEY AREN'T OLD!!
:fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :fiery:

Paneru
Jan 6th, 2009, 01:35 AM
I'm with darrin. :spit: :eek:

darrinbaker00
Jan 6th, 2009, 01:40 AM
I'm with darrin. :spit: :eek:
In a related story, a spokesman from the American Meteorological Society announced that hell froze over today. ;)

Leo_DFP
Jan 6th, 2009, 02:11 AM
You have to be pretty aggressively negative to get the 'the Williams sisters' best tennis is behind them'
out of ''When the Williams sisters were healthy, no one was in their class. Right now, if they are healthy, they are certainly the girls to beat.'"

I agree with Volcana here. That interpretation of what Nick B. said is unfair and overly negative. The quote does imply that they don't dominate like they used to and that they have more competition now - which is true. But he did say that when they're physically healthy, they were still the best players in the world and the ones to beat. I would agree with Nick on that call.

charmedRic
Jan 6th, 2009, 04:49 AM
I agree with Volcana here. That interpretation of what Nick B. said is unfair and overly negative. The quote does imply that they don't dominate like they used to and that they have more competition now - which is true. But he did say that when they're physically healthy, they were still the best players in the world and the ones to beat. I would agree with Nick on that call.

LEO! :)

ps: Ditto.

Sharapowerr
Jan 6th, 2009, 07:13 AM
Offcourse the best tennis is behind them, they re getting older to , Imo 26/28 is not old , but for tennis terms it s a little old .. and especially Serena , she gain weight.. she is not so fit as a few yrs ago.. and not so consistent.. I think Serena of a couple of yrs ago would never lost to Jelena Jankovic..

sipnsurfMurph
Jan 6th, 2009, 08:25 AM
If he didn't feel that way, then why bring age into it?

IMO, the downside to his comment is the "if they're healthy" part. Venus & Serena have a storied relationship with injuries. It's not the type of thing that improves with age.

Fellow fan Darrin, since you've always advocated more play regardless of injuries, developing interests, tragedy, adolescence, mental health, etc ... you're a poor advocate for longevity.

If the sisters followed any of your numerous tirades they'd probably be looking on from the sidelines. Like Justine, Kim, Hingis ...

bandabou
Jan 6th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Hmmm..I think darrin read too much into it. If I understand it correctly: In the past the sisters were playing a whole different game than the rest of the field....and now they are still the best players when healthy, but the gap isn't as big as it used to be.

I agree with that. That last two majors proved that when the sisters are feeling it, only players who can beat them are themselves. Serena wins the open without dropping a set, Venus wins Wimbledon without dropping a set..and they only lost to each other at those majors. Venus beat Serena for Wimbledon and Serena paid the favour at the Open.

OrdinaryfoolisNJ
Jan 6th, 2009, 09:07 AM
I do believe the WS' ages will eventually be a factor, as it is for all athletes. However, because of injuries, both WS have probably played a lot less than other players of their ages. So, maybe they'll be like Agassi and get that second wind late. Also, it'll be about time very soon for some young upstarts to begin challenging the WS as we move towards the next "generation" of players.

Maria Croft
Jan 6th, 2009, 09:30 AM
Some people really don't know how to take a compliment, instead of looking at all the positive things said they look for anything that could be taken the wrong way.

Rocketta
Jan 6th, 2009, 12:51 PM
oy vey, @ Darrin. :lol:

Anyway, anything they gain their career from now on is just gravy to me so I plan to just enjoy. :bounce:

misael
Jan 6th, 2009, 02:45 PM
If he didn't feel that way, then why bring age into it? Just because they're close to 30 than they are to 20 doesn't mean that they're in decline. I think their matches against each other at Wimbledon and the US Open are proof positive that their best tennis is still ahead of them, if they choose to bring it out of themselves. It 's the same for every player, especially women players, when they turn 28, 29. I rememeber when Chris Evert retired , for years before, every interview she did , they asked her the retirement question, it was the same with Martina N, and Steffi.
They( the reporters) will soon start asking this question to Venus.

DA FOREHAND
Jan 6th, 2009, 05:09 PM
I do believe the WS' ages will eventually be a factor, as it is for all athletes. However, because of injuries, both WS have probably played a lot less than other players of their ages. So, maybe they'll be like Agassi and get that second wind late. Also, it'll be about time very soon for some young upstarts to begin challenging the WS as we move towards the next "generation" of players. Even Agassi's best tennis was behind him as early as 99, doesn't mean the best he could produce couldn't and didn't win him major title.s

It 's the same for every player, especially women players, when they turn 28, 29. I rememeber when Chris Evert retired , for years before, every interview she did , they asked her the retirement question, it was the same with Martina N, and Steffi.
They( the reporters) will soon start asking this question to Venus.

Venus has started to quiet those questions by telling them she plans on playing thru 2012 Olympics.

sweetpeas
Jan 6th, 2009, 05:54 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I read that quote correctly, I would have to conclude that Nick Bollettieri thinks that the Williams sisters' best tennis is behind them. I certainly don't believe that's the case, and if Mr. Bollettieri believes that's the case, he needs to find another line of work

I totally agree with Darrin....Golden Girls! please! Why bring in A.A.?

Dodoboy.
Jan 6th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Venus is on the cusp of another great streak of tennis IMHO. But she is wasting her time at an exho :rolleyes:

jrollaneres25
Jan 6th, 2009, 09:24 PM
I do believe the WS' ages will eventually be a factor, as it is for all athletes. However, because of injuries, both WS have probably played a lot less than other players of their ages. So, maybe they'll be like Agassi and get that second wind late. Also, it'll be about time very soon for some young upstarts to begin challenging the WS as we move towards the next "generation" of players.

I'm not to sure about that. The Williams Sisters are so unique that I think they will retire on top, winning Slams.

jrollaneres25
Jan 6th, 2009, 09:24 PM
oy vey, @ Darrin. :lol:

Anyway, anything they gain their career from now on is just gravy to me so I plan to just enjoy. :bounce:

ABSOLUTELY:cool:

mboyle
Jan 6th, 2009, 11:41 PM

Do you really believe Serena is going to play better than in 2002? :eek: I can't think of a way for that to be possible. Venus' level in 2001 was also just stunning. I can't imagine she'd be better than that. The thing is, no they aren't old, but it is just a scientific fact that you start to lose muscle mass and elasticity in your mid 20's, which means you cannot run as fast as you can when you're 18-21 ish. I think Venus and Serena's best tennis IS behind them, but I still think they are capable of being the best in the world, even if their level is not quite as jaw dropping as in 01/02.

As Volcana said, there's no need to be defensive and negative. Nick has more respect for the sisters than just about anyone else in the tennis world.

Super_Marion
Jan 7th, 2009, 12:31 AM
Well I added my tuppence worth on it all and predicted a 'shock' slam win for you know who :)

friendsita
Jan 7th, 2009, 01:45 AM
ummm