PDA

View Full Version : Among the current slam holders. . .which result

vwfan
Jan 5th, 2009, 02:10 PM
is least likely?

Maria is coming back from a six-month injury and still may be struggling with her shoulder, but she is an increadible fighter. Enough to defend her title?

Serena has lifted the RG crown before, but more than seven years ago and there are certainly better clay court players. The French Open is the only slam she hasn't won twice, but does she have the fitness and commitment to grind it out to another title?

Ana's forehand can knock the best of the best off the court. She made the SF in 2007 and certainly has a good ground game. Does she make a breakthrough on grass even though it is a surface that does not naturally play to her game?

Venus used to dominate the summer hardcourts, but she hasn't done that since she came back from her ab injury in 2003. Can she duplicate her 35-match dominance of the summer hardcourts culminating in the U.S. Open title?

Which result is the biggest long shot?

kwilliams
Jan 5th, 2009, 02:56 PM
For some reason I can't see Ivanovic winning Wimbledon any time soon. Aside from her performance in 2007 she has never really done anything to impress there and even that wasn't that impressive.

Mina Vagante
Jan 5th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Maria defending Australian Open or Ana winning Wimbledon

BuTtErFrEnA
Jan 5th, 2009, 03:03 PM
hasnt this question been asked in another way???? :o

vwfan
Jan 5th, 2009, 07:18 PM
hasnt this question been asked in another way???? :owhen and where?

otherwise. :o

OsloErik
Jan 5th, 2009, 07:45 PM
I think the first three are all very unlikely. Sharapova isn't likely to be in slam-winning shape until Wimbledon or later, Ivanovic's serve is good but isn't a grass court serve (plus she's rushed on her backhand on grass) and Serena is no longer an elite player on clay. Venus at the US Open is the only thing that wouldn't necessarily surprise me.

However, of those three things I'd have to say Sharapova defending the Aussie would be the most out-of-the-ordinary.

Shvedbarilescu
Jan 5th, 2009, 07:49 PM
I think the first three are all very unlikely. Sharapova isn't likely to be in slam-winning shape until Wimbledon or later, Ivanovic's serve is good but isn't a grass court serve (plus she's rushed on her backhand on grass) and Serena is no longer an elite player on clay. Venus at the US Open is the only thing that wouldn't necessarily surprise me.

However, of those three things I'd have to say Sharapova defending the Aussie would be the most out-of-the-ordinary.

Nothing to add. :yeah:

sammy01
Jan 5th, 2009, 07:51 PM
im so sick of these stupid threads opened by venus williams fans which are skewed so she wins/is the obvious answer.

why does the poll not have venus winning the french and serena winning wimbledon, because then serena would get the least amount of votes.

50Sense
Jan 5th, 2009, 07:54 PM
im so sick of these stupid threads opened by venus williams fans which are skewed so she wins/is the obvious answer.

why does the poll not have venus winning the french and serena winning wimbledon, because then serena would get the least amount of votes.

:worship:

smiler
Jan 5th, 2009, 07:56 PM
All of them are highly unlikely as Sveta is going to win the lot... :angel:

Shvedbarilescu
Jan 5th, 2009, 08:40 PM

You have a point there, yes.

Sexysova
Jan 5th, 2009, 08:49 PM
omg I didn't read well.. :o I voted for Serena but of course it's Maria and Ana..

danieln1
Jan 5th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Serena at the french, because she is with less patience from time to time... then Maria defending Australia, because no way she could pull a Serena 07 kind of tournament

fufuqifuqishahah
Jan 5th, 2009, 09:01 PM
i think ana has a game well suited for grass when she is on the attack, but not the best when she is on the defense, yet i still see that as the least likely.

wouldnt it be crazy if these all came true this year. :tape:

vwfan
Jan 5th, 2009, 10:45 PM

why does the poll not have venus winning the french and serena winning wimbledon, because then serena would get the least amount of votes.well, because the threadstarter (me) was trying to make the picks more or less balanced.

yes, I could have put venus winning the french but of all the surfaces Serena is most vulnerable on the French. anything else is plausible for her: she won the U.S. Open last year, has won Aus Open three times and finaled at Wimbledon. it's actually a compliment to her that the french is the only surface where she is not totally plausible. Venus has not won the U.S. Open since 2001. That's eight years ago and manages to lose to the eventual champion time and again. She's vulnerable on that surface.

so, the poll is built around where players have vulnerability. paranoid, much???!!!:rolleyes:

vwfan
Jan 5th, 2009, 10:48 PM
:worship:hmmm. . .well, is there anyone tying you down as a Serena fan from opening your own "stupid threads."

then, you won't have to come into these threads and whine. ;)

sammy01
Jan 5th, 2009, 10:52 PM
well, because the threadstarter (me) was trying to make the picks more or less balanced.

yes, I could have put venus winning the french but of all the surfaces Serena is most vulnerable on the French. anything else is plausible for her: she won the U.S. Open last year, has won Aus Open three times and finaled at Wimbledon. it's actually a compliment to her that the french is the only surface where she is not totally plausible. the poll is built around where players have vulnerability. paranoid, much???!!!:rolleyes:

your options were biased, i know it any person who isnt biased knows it. so roll your eyes all you like!

Aaron.
Jan 5th, 2009, 10:56 PM
sammy01 its a poll its not that serious dont vote if you dont wanna if its so biased.

Wiggly
Jan 5th, 2009, 11:05 PM
Serena can do anything.
When Venus brings it, it's hard to beat her.

I don't think Maria is going to defend, as she's vulnerable in early rounds and a fearless player could beat her.

However, Ivanovic isn't winning Wimbledon anytime soon.
By that time, Sharapova should be all right. There is no way Ana can beat Serena, Venus or Maria on grass.

raffles
Jan 5th, 2009, 11:31 PM
All of them are highly unlikely as Sveta is going to win the lot... :angel:

I agree, it's the ONLY possible result:lol:. Out of the options listed Maria defending Oz.

Volcana
Jan 6th, 2009, 12:02 AM
What's kind of interesting is that the slam winners could easily come from those four players, without any of them repeating.

50Sense
Jan 6th, 2009, 03:00 AM
hmmm. . .well, is there anyone tying you down as a Serena fan from opening your own "stupid threads."

then, you won't have to come into these threads and whine. ;)

So you admit you opened this thread with a clear bias? As long as you're truthful, :lol:

Cp6uja
Jan 6th, 2009, 04:37 AM
Maria defends Aus Open
She is so dominating last season... but on other hand i cant remember any example of any GS champion in Open Era which not played any competitive match more than six ponth before slam - but win.

Serena wins French
Together with Jankovic she is #2 favorite to me to win RG/09 (behind Ivanovic, and litle ahead Safina and Kuznetsova), so no big surprize at all if this happen.

Ana wins Wimbledon
She have all what WTA player need for big success at grass... but it's too early for Ana. She must still to improve her grasscourt movement and return, and have faster transition from clay to grass, and also Williams sisters is still too strong. But after couple seasons i expect of her to be worlds best grass player after (or even together with) Maria... which means atleast one Wimbledon title for Ana.

Venus finally breaks through again at U.S. Open
In 2007 and 2008 Venus was 2nd or 3rd best player at US Open, but like i already notice on other thread here - last season Serena at 27 won like 2nd oldest ever player in Open Era (after Navratilova), and USO always have youngest champions in average... so i dont see Venus to win this again at 29 or anytime later, despite fact that her game very suits to this fast surface.

canuckfan
Jan 6th, 2009, 04:38 AM
when and where?

otherwise. :o

Maybe in one of the dozens useless threads you've started in the last few weeks.

Sharapowerr
Jan 6th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Ana won t win Wimbledon her groundstokes aren t that good for grass.. that s just the way it is .. I think Azarenka has a better shot than Ana in 2009.. I think Maria will win Wimbledon 2009 5 th year anniversary!! She is the best player who started pro since the millenium.

Amalgamate
Jan 6th, 2009, 07:22 AM
There is no way Maria defends the AO.

vwfan
Jan 6th, 2009, 01:32 PM
So you admit you opened this thread with a clear bias? As long as you're truthful, :lol:did you see the quotation marks.

no. of course, not. :lol:

vwfan
Jan 6th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Maybe in one of the dozens useless threads you've started in the last few weeks.and yet, you are here. :help:

I never get people coming into threads to complain about the topic or how it was structured.

There are a couple of more efficient options: ignore it or start your own thread with compelling, interesting, unbiased options. Geez! :smash:

Sharapova's_Boy
Jan 6th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Ana winning Wimbledon over Maria defending AO? :spit:

new-york
Jan 6th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Ana winning Wimbledon over Maria defending AO? :spit:

timing. :shrug:

i don't see Ana winning Wimzer yet but considering Maria hasn't played in a while, i totally don't see her defending a slam.

Sean.
Jan 6th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Maria winning AO. Very hard to say, if (and it's a big if) she is playing her best not many people will be able to stop her. But we don't know whether she is truely ready for this tournament and how much preparation she has had. Her game should get her past the early rounds atleast - unless she gets a bad draw. It very much depends on how well other players are playing too.

Serena winning FO. It's possible, if she's motivated, fit and moving well then I don't see why not. As others have said she is not the most patient player at the moment and isn't the mental mountain she used to be. I can see her loosing to Jelena, Svetlana, Dinara and Ana on clay though unless she finds a clay court game she hasn't had for years.

Ana winning Wimbledon. When you look closer at Ana's game grass doesn't suit her as much as it would appear, she likes to have time to set up her strokes - which is why she doesn't play well against flat hitters. She doesn't fully 'go for' her serve yet having more top spin than perhaps required. But she may learn to adapt to grass better, it's always possible with the right draw.

Venus winning USO. She's been unlucky not to take either of the last two, loosnig twice to the eventual winner in the match of the tournament each time. If Henin had not played such amazing tennis in the SF noone would have stood in Venus' way on 07 and then 08 the QF was her's for the taknig. Whether she missed her opportunities or will emulate that form is useless to guess.

hingis-seles
Jan 6th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Maria's not defending the Aussie, Serena's not winning RG, Ana's not winning Wimbledon, Venus somehow always manages to lost the plot in NYC, post 2001.

Least likely is Serena winning RG. She snuck in her RG title the one year the draw was depleted - even with the deteriorated state of the WTA today, I still don't see her ever winning RG again.

vwfan
Jan 6th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Maria winning AO. Very hard to say, if (and it's a big if) she is playing her best not many people will be able to stop her. But we don't know whether she is truely ready for this tournament and how much preparation she has had. Her game should get her past the early rounds atleast - unless she gets a bad draw. It very much depends on how well other players are playing too.

Serena winning FO. It's possible, if she's motivated, fit and moving well then I don't see why not. As others have said she is not the most patient player at the moment and isn't the mental mountain she used to be. I can see her loosing to Jelena, Svetlana, Dinara and Ana on clay though unless she finds a clay court game she hasn't had for years.

Ana winning Wimbledon. When you look closer at Ana's game grass doesn't suit her as much as it would appear, she likes to have time to set up her strokes - which is why she doesn't play well against flat hitters. She doesn't fully 'go for' her serve yet having more top spin than perhaps required. But she may learn to adapt to grass better, it's always possible with the right draw.

Venus winning USO. She's been unlucky not to take either of the last two, loosnig twice to the eventual winner in the match of the tournament each time. If Henin had not played such amazing tennis in the SF noone would have stood in Venus' way on 07 and then 08 the QF was her's for the taknig. Whether she missed her opportunities or will emulate that form is useless to guess.good post and analysis. can't tell which one you actually selected.