Optima
Jan 5th, 2009, 05:38 AM
Amelie :banana:

Amalgamate
Jan 5th, 2009, 05:39 AM
Good match, I was impressed by Dokic :yeah:

RenaSlam.
Dokic's groundstrokes were insanely good. Dirty good.

Serve needs work but I could easily see her back in the Top 30, if not Top 20 by the end of this year.

Mauresmo wasn't really that impressive other than her defense...:tape:

Uranium
:sobbing:
She has many positives like she is hitting the ball amazing. She would have won this match if she knew how to hit a good second serve:o

Wojtek
So close :sad: :sad:

Congrats Amelie

guapogreg08
that was actually a really high quality match. i hope jelena can do some damage in melbourne.

IMPOSSIBLE
Jelena :hug:

Some great winners though :D

IceHock
still promising for jelena, she had amelie on the ropes for the most part, she just couldn't convert

rada
Jelena played a great match and she had the first set :(

mariahdg
:haha: Amelie
:hug:Jelena

Just Do It
Jan 5th, 2009, 05:40 AM
What a choke from Jelena. If she could cut those silly DF's and UE's she would rock this match.

Hopefully she gets a WC for Hobart/Sydney now :hug:

Natash.
:sobbing: I have no idea how she will take this loss. :(

AnomyBC
Well that's still kind of cool for Dokic I guess---assuming Mauresmo was playing reasonably well.

So Disrespectful
5 set points for Dokic in the first set. Nine double faults when trying to consolidate her breaks, including a few in the tie break.

Leo_DFP
Definitely choked that one, she was in full control and had her chances in both sets.

BUT she did hit the ball so cleanly today! Many of those points were reminiscent of Seles and Davenport. I don't remember her stirking the ball that powerfully back in '02 when she was #4 in the world. What she's lacking is a safe 2nd serve, ooofffff.

fufuqifuqishahah
Amelie!

Jelena :sobbing: Get a good draw and you'll get in a tournament deep.

TennisPlayingFox
Good match, Dokic was hitting really well, just hit too many errors. Was still really impressed by her though.

njnetswill
There were some beautiful rallies. Both ladies deserve to have a fantastic 2009, I really hope they do.

ninanina19
That was such a choke. Anyway good job Jelena. She needs to improve her serve and be more patient but she still has those great groundies.

Hayato
She did have at least 5 set points in the first set, but a lot of that was Mauresmo's excellent fighting spirit and pulling out the right shots.

Jelena played really, really well. Especially in the first half of the opening set, and the end of the second set, where she trailed 5-3 but forced a tiebreak.

I didn't expect this match to be so competitive, as I didn't expect Jelena to be playing quite so well. She hit so many winners, struck the ball beautifully. A lot of double faults and errors too but that's to be expected.

Great fight, Jelena! :)

Dexter
Jan 5th, 2009, 05:41 AM
I thought actually Dokić was going to win the 2nd, she hit some hot winners towards the end of it.

timafi
Amelie you should have won lost the 1st first:mad:
get your shit 2gether bcuz you are playing like shit:mad: :mad:

Mashabator
im so sad :(
they stopped the coverage 5 mins br the end of the match, how did jelena take the loss?
im so dissapointedd :( 7 set points! she played good though, i was impressed.
i just can stop thinking about the double fault on her set point, and the 5-3 lead :(

Dave.
Good match - didn't expect that at all. Dokic still has it. She was hitting like a top 10 player some points in this match. The serve is letting her down so much though and is what ultimately lost her the match.

Mauresmo was too passive and didn't look convincing at all. This should be a confidence-booster though.

IMPOSSIBLE
http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/4466/staslw5.png

~Eclipsed~
Nice Win Amelie!

Wow what a match from Jelena! I never expected Jelena to do this well against Amelie or any top player just yet. She dictated play most of the time, there's no reason she can't at least make top 30 again playing like that. I just hope Jelena stays with it and gets a better draw in Hobart.:cool:

kyk710
I hope Jelena takes the positives out of this match - she was right there with Amelie the whole way and hitting her off the court for a lot of that match. With more matches and confidence I am excited to see how the rest of 2009 goes for Jelena. Good for Amelie finally playing well to close a match.

Havok
Tough luck Jelena. Almost any other draw she would have easily cruised. Had she had her serve under control she would have also cruised past MoMo but such is life.:o

Dokic is easily still top 50 material and I can see her back inside the top 20 if she keeps at it the way she has been so far. Best of luck Jelena.:banana:

ninanina19
Jan 5th, 2009, 05:42 AM
I think Jelena should play Sydney. Before I would've said Hobart but I think she needs more match play at the high level. She can handle most of the players at Sydney.

Ackms421
Dokic played well. Serve was, ahem, less than stellar, though. But for that, she wins this one in straight sets. She definitely didn't look outclassed. She's a top 20 player right now I think, and hopefully the draw will be kinder in Melbourne.

mirzalover
Oh Jelena...

Great try though

northern lad
thank goddddd amelie :speakles:

jelena played better than i expected.

if it went to a 3rd set i would have cried.

LindsayRulz
Jan 5th, 2009, 05:43 AM
Jelena :sad: Still a good match and I was really impressed by her :yeah:

iGOAT
On the bright side, she is playing well enough to beat someone like Mauresmo :p

Just Do It

:spit:

~Cherry*Blossom~
Dokic's groundstrokes were stunning to watch. Just needs to work on that serve.

If she didn't have a dodgy serve she would have routinely dismissed Mauresmo today. Mauresmo didn't do much today.

Mashabator
Jan 5th, 2009, 05:44 AM
im so dissapointed, but she can take away from that match that she took a former world number 1 to two very close tiebreak sets and had 5 set points and struck lots of winners.
im very dissapointed but i feel she can go far this year.

matty
Wow, Jelena still has it---just needs to stay positive!

spencercarlos
I thought actually Dokić was going to win the 2nd, she hit some hot winners towards the end of it.
My feelings too. Nice match from both players.

So Disrespectful
I think Jelena should play Sydney. Before I would've said Hobart but I think she needs more match play at the high level. She can handle most of the players at Sydney.

I don't agree. She needs to play someone really crap so she can close her out with no problems. Jelena needs to re-learn how to beat quality opponents, and the best way is by starting with semi-quality opponents and working her way up from there.

pepaw
Jan 5th, 2009, 05:45 AM
Wow, Jelena played amazingly well at some points. Her second serve was terrible in the first set however, and thats probably what cost her the match.

She also should consider taking balls out of the air, instead of staying back.

Mauresmo wasnt anything special, she played decently, served well and defended well.

If Jelena keeps up that level of play, she could easily beat some top 50 opponents and get some confidence going. I hope she plays Hobart.

Jeff
Jan 5th, 2009, 05:45 AM
Wow i'm disappointed yet happy at the same time. I am sad, because I know confidence is a huge intangible and a big part of Jelena regaining success and this match will either help that or hinder it i'm not sure. On the other hand, it sounds like she played really, really well besides the doubles and errors.

Keep going, Jelena. Overall, a successful start for a first big match.

Babolatpro880
Jan 5th, 2009, 05:46 AM
31 winners and 33 unforced errors for Jelena really isn't all that bad. Obviously you want to have more winners than errors, but given the amount of sketchy shots Jelena attempts that have no real chance of going in, only being minus two is pretty good.

I just get afraid with every loss that Jelena has that she's going to give up.

Indytennis
Whatever to all the haters...Amelie HAD to play well to win this match. Jelena played incredible, really impressed with her play.

Great win Amelie- for her first match of the season she played great!!

iGOAT
Nah, Hobart. I could see her making the quarters or even semis which would be great for confidence, which is all she needs atm

rada

Can she play there?

Noctis
Jan 5th, 2009, 05:47 AM
Good Luck in MMelbourne :rocker2:

Babolatpro880
Wow, Jelena played amazingly well at some points. Her second serve was terrible in the first set however, and thats probably what cost her the match.

She also should consider taking balls out of the air, instead of staying back.

Mauresmo wasnt anything special, she played decently, served well and defended well.

If Jelena keeps up that level of play, she could easily beat some top 50 opponents and get some confidence going. I hope she plays Hobart.

That's something I struggled to understand as well. Jelena, in her prime, was a top ten doubles player as well, and she seemed to be practically allergic to the net during the match :lol:

She does still have those great drop shots though.

The Daviator
Dokic hit some outrageous winners, she's got more game than a lot of the current top players, just needs to improve that serve and her mental game.

Amelie :yeah:

RJWCapriati
Jan 5th, 2009, 05:48 AM
Close 2 sets........good luck in Melbourne!

Noctis
Jan 5th, 2009, 05:49 AM
Whatever to all the haters...Amelie HAD to play well to win this match. Jelena played incredible, really impressed with her play.

Your kidding :scratch:

ElusiveChanteuse
:lol: already 3 pages in 5 min. :worship:
Congrats Momo!:clap2: :)
Dokic :hug:

hankqq
I'm glad this was a close match :) I wanted Mauresmo to win, but I hope Dokic gets better draws at her next event and at the AO :)

Leo_DFP
I don't agree. She needs to play someone really crap so she can close her out with no problems. Jelena needs to re-learn how to beat quality opponents, and the best way is by starting with semi-quality opponents and working her way up from there.

I agree with you. She needs to play Hobart and have some weaker opponents. Remember when she made a comeback a few years ago in Australia? And she led in a bunch of matches before choking the 2nd and tanking the 3rd - it became her routine. She needs to get used to taking her chances, consolidating breaks, and closing out matches. So she needs to start at the bottom and move her way up.

I hope today doesn't become a sign of things to come with her self-doubt in the big moments. Time will tell! Theoretically, if she keeps her head high, she will be fine. The wins will come with more experience and more match play.

rada
Where is she playing next?

CJ07
Jan 5th, 2009, 05:51 AM
Dokic seemed allergic to the net. So many times she should've come in and put balls away. She reminded me of Monica Seles where she just stood in no mans land trying to put balls away.

Too bad for Dokic, Seles's shots went in.

Dandy_Warhol
Jan 5th, 2009, 05:51 AM
Amelie :banana:

Dokic :hug:

KoOlMaNsEaN
Jan 5th, 2009, 05:52 AM
Jelena played well. Certainly alot to be proud of :)

Indytennis
Your kidding :scratch:

Thats all you got...pathetic!

Did you even watch the match? Obviously not.

Andy.
I really didnt expect Jelena to be that compedative but boy she was right in it all the way. She definatly belongs in the top 30 or 40 now and will continue to improve. On a negative this match was hers, how many set points does someone need. She was controling the match and Amelie didnt do much at all. Im just glad to see Jelena back and competing well, she can only improve from here.

Babolatpro880
Jan 5th, 2009, 05:53 AM
Potentially either Hobart or Sydney, if either offer her a wildcard. the last main draw wildcard for Hobart has yet to be announced, and personally i'd prefer for her to play there. If she can't play next week, she'll be at the Australian, and is on the entry lists for Paris (45 out) and Pattaya (22 out) after the Open.

G1Player2
Dokic seemed allergic to the net. So many times she should've come in and put balls away. She reminded me of Monica Seles where she just stood in no mans land trying to put balls away.

Too bad for Dokic, Seles's shots went in.

Dokic has ALWAYS been uncomfortable up at net.

NZ tennis fan
What a match :worship:
I definitely think jelena can come back to the top, she just needs to pace herself a bit, i was getting dizzy with how fast she was playing :lol: Anyway she should be proud of how she played, if she can remain positive the results will surely come :yeah:

As for Mauresmo, I think a win here was maybe more important for her in the scheme of things than for jelena, she didnt play that well though

Jeff
I will say that seeing a picture of Jelena at a WTA Tour level event with her "Shoo" again makes me happy :D

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/a3/fullj.b9dbfc4fb0b99a055f318fed4be0573b/b9dbfc4fb0b99a055f318fed4be0573b-getty-82867591bk016_brisbane_inte.jpg

Just Do It
Jelena was so mad on herself, that is her biggest problem. When she was down in the 2nd set 3-5 she was hitting incredible 2nd serves ... like she did not care anymore :(

Amelie having 7 winners says it all :o

hablo
Jan 5th, 2009, 05:54 AM
Dokic still got game, if it wasn't for her serve... :o

Anyhow, just glad Mauresmo won, despite facing such a tough opponent. At least her defense is still working and her fitness level is up to par. Ouf.

I'm glad Amélie's serve is coming back... Still has a lot of work to do on her game.

Golovinjured.
Jan 5th, 2009, 05:55 AM
Before the match, I don't think any of us could have expected her to play so well. I'm so impressed, she outplayed Amelie today and Amelie wasn't playing badly. What I saw today was TOP 20 stuff, if not beyond that. Second serve needs work, and she needs to slow down (but that was always her problem). In the early stages on the second, she went for a winner off every ball. She's got the power to construct points better and pick the right balls to go for, and she must start coming to net to finish off the point, especially if the opponent is playing as defensively as Amelie was today.

I don't care whether she plays Sydney or Hobart. I'd prefer Hobart though, just to defend her points. She's obviously been working VERY hard on her game and her fitness, a win here would have been a good reward but not to be.

I must say I'm very proud to be a Dokic fan after watching this performance, never been prouder. I'm looking forward to a successful 2009. :D:D

Just Do It
Jan 5th, 2009, 05:55 AM
I will say that seeing a picture of Jelena at a WTA Tour level event with her "Shoo" again makes me happy :D

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/a3/fullj.b9dbfc4fb0b99a055f318fed4be0573b/b9dbfc4fb0b99a055f318fed4be0573b-getty-82867591bk016_brisbane_inte.jpg

:kiss:

So Disrespectful
Jan 5th, 2009, 05:57 AM

Jelena: 31/33 = -2
Amelie: 7/14 = -7

ninanina19
Before the match, I don't think any of us could have expected her to play so well. I'm so impressed, she outplayed Amelie today and Amelie wasn't playing badly. What I saw today was TOP 20 stuff, if not beyond that. Second serve needs work, and she needs to slow down (but that was always her problem). In the early stages on the second, she went for a winner off every ball. She's got the power to construct points better and pick the right balls to go for, and she must start coming to net to finish off the point, especially if the opponent is playing as defensively as Amelie was today.

I don't care whether she plays Sydney or Hobart. I'd prefer Hobart though, just to defend her points. She's obviously been working VERY hard on her game and her fitness, a win here would have been a good reward but not to be.

I must say I'm very proud to be a Dokic fan after watching this performance, never been prouder. I'm looking forward to a successful 2009. :D:DIf someone liek Cornet can be top 20, I don't see why Jelena can't. She was playing top 10 tennis for parts today. This year I think she can enter the top 30.

switz
overall a good results for Dokic. Obviously a win would be great but having a place in the Australian Open maindraw she can use these the lead ups as a chance to build rather than having to feel each match will make and break her career like in the past.

she really just needs to improve the second serve. the game is still there.

Mashabator
Jan 5th, 2009, 05:58 AM

I must say I'm very proud to be a Dokic fan after watching this performance, never been prouder. I'm looking forward to a successful 2009. :D:D

I completely agree.
Dokic needs to slow down, keep composed and solidly hit the ball back into the court and wait for a winner chance, not just go for broke on every shot.
She played allot better than i expected.
well done jelena.
good luck in hobart or sydney :)

WhatTheDeuce
Jan 5th, 2009, 06:00 AM
Someone upload this please. I have to see it. :sobbing:

Mashabator

Apart from the double faults and errors, youd expect from the statistics that jelena would have won the match, lots of winners :)

martinafan
Jelena :bounce: :sad:

I'm so thrilled that she was able to play at such a high standard!!! MUCH better than anyone could have hoped for i think.
Disappointing that her second serve was so crap, but she's definitely gotten out of the match what she wanted - she said at the start that she wanted to use the match to gauge where her game was at and what she needed to work on. I think it should now be pretty obvious to her.

Even though I'll be at Sydney I do want her to play Hobart - really do think if she can cut down the DF's she'd be a GREAT shot to make the SF's if she plays like today. That is, ofcourse, if she doesn't draw the top seed 1st up ;)

I'm soooo stoked for her 2009 now, just hope she continues to fight througout the year. Was a little worried with her demeanour in the match at times, but hope she can work on that.

Good Luck Jelena!

Babolatpro880
Jan 5th, 2009, 06:01 AM
Do Momo's 6 pts at net not count? :lol:

7+6/14 = -1

Those aren't necessarily winners. If she hits a volley that Jelena gets her racket on but doesn't get it back, it's a point won by Mauresmo at net but not a winner.

pepaw

why didnt you watch?!

hablo
Those aren't necessarily winners. If she hits a volley that Jelena gets her racket on but doesn't get it back, it's a point won by Mauresmo at net but not a winner.

OK fine.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jan 5th, 2009, 06:02 AM
could have been a blow out if she knew what a second serve was....but congrats momo :)

hope to see more of dokic come AO :)

Mashabator
Jan 5th, 2009, 06:06 AM
I think she can go well in the AO at least maybe 3rd round if she plays like she did today? maybe further.
im happy with how she played, but dissapointed.
I was constantly shouting at my tv :)

WhatTheDeuce
Jan 5th, 2009, 06:07 AM

why didnt you watch?!
I just got home from vacation.

Someone help :sobbing: :sobbing:

Just Do It
Jan 5th, 2009, 06:08 AM

Dave, you better dont watch it, you will get pissed :sobbing:

hablo
Jan 5th, 2009, 06:08 AM

You'll probably able to download it on t3nnis.tv ;)

It was a good match.

WhatTheDeuce
Jan 5th, 2009, 06:10 AM
Dave, you better dont watch it, you will get pissed :sobbing:
Everyone is saying how many gorgeous winners she hit, and how well she was hitting at times. That alone will make it worth watching. I must see. :drool:

Poor Jelena. Great effort though, she did well to make it that tight. She still has it.

GeeTee
Jan 5th, 2009, 06:11 AM
Match of the Year :)

*Jean*
Jan 5th, 2009, 06:12 AM
I wanna see it so much. :sad:

AMéLIE ! :bounce: Great fight in both sets, good sign! Now Coin, I hope it's gonna be okay then!

Mashabator
Jan 5th, 2009, 06:12 AM
Match of the Year :)

Hehehe agreed :)

rada
Jan 5th, 2009, 06:13 AM
I was so sad when she lost it was her match to win :(

mckyle.
Jan 5th, 2009, 06:21 AM
I think the most impressive thing about this match was that she didn't lose the second set 6-1 like so many times in the past.

Marionated
Jan 5th, 2009, 06:28 AM
Good going, Momo. Stats don't look too good though.

mirzalover
Jan 5th, 2009, 06:39 AM
I think the most impressive thing about this match was that she didn't lose the second set 6-1 like so many times in the past.

I know, after she lost the 1st set I thought the 2nd set was going to be ugly.

Keadz
Jan 5th, 2009, 06:51 AM
Really surprised with how she was playing, really good winners and she has improved a lot since the wild card play offs. Much more patient in the first set, but the second set saw a return of bad Dokic who really didn't have the right attitude. She could have won that second set easily if she at least looked like she was trying.

Mauresmo was playing well-ish, some good volleys and defense and surprisingly small amount of choking.

Dokic should play Hobart just to get her ranking a bit higher. The media here are saying she had a bad start or something :o

Just Do It
Jan 5th, 2009, 06:52 AM
Dokic will now focus on playing the qualifying rounds at the Medibank International Sydney

From Brisbane WTA website.

Mashabator
Jan 5th, 2009, 07:01 AM
"After the match Dokic said the loss hurt, but she was happy with the way she played."
Good sign :)

Louis Cyphre
Jan 5th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Jelena :sad:

Rex59
Jan 5th, 2009, 07:11 AM
"After the match Dokic said the loss hurt, but she was happy with the way she played."
Good sign :)

After not playing competitive tennis for quite some time, Jelena ought to feel good about her performance. Her ball striking and groundstrokes were very good, with special emphasis on her two-handed backhand, which was lethal. If she had come to the net during the match after nailing a deep, penetrating forehand or backhand, she could have put away an easy volley for a point, for Amelie was playing deep beyond the baseline in response to Jelena's grounds'. Jelena essentially set the tone for the match and she was the better player today, but the score doesn't denote such. Yet, I came away extremely impressed with Jelena and by this performance she should be somewhere near top-30 or higher by year's end.

Yasmine
Jan 5th, 2009, 07:14 AM
:bounce: :yeah:

Well played Jelena :hug:

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 5th, 2009, 07:16 AM

:sobbing:

I've missed that.

I'm glad she's back :rocker2:

Mr.Kardashian
Jan 5th, 2009, 07:17 AM
many may disagree with me but i honestly think amelie was playing like a top ten player all throughout that match and for Dokic to be absolutely dominating and hitting the ball better is a great sign for 2009. her nerves and "choke" is of course excusable but definitely her physical game was top ten level, just her mental game isnt there yet.

what a great quality match im expecting big things from Dokic this year, and also big things for Amelie well done

Mr.Kardashian
Jan 5th, 2009, 07:18 AM
ooh is she playing sydney qualies? im gonna go down and watch :)

darkangel23
Jan 5th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Jelly :sad:

Just Do It
Jan 5th, 2009, 07:31 AM
http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/2866/dokicwkb7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/dokicwkb7.jpg/1/w516.png (http://g.imageshack.us/img356/dokicwkb7.jpg/1/)

Mr.Kardashian
Jan 5th, 2009, 07:35 AM
she was soo good off the ground today and she looks great in yellow with the aussie blue courts!

rrfnpump
Jan 5th, 2009, 07:35 AM
Only 7 winners for Mauresmo :haha: :lol:
she is probably playing her usual pusher game which made me dislike her...

Dokic :(

Harvs
Jan 5th, 2009, 07:38 AM
OMG SO CLOSE! jelena should have won that first set, had so many chances:(

good signs tho!

Anago
Jan 5th, 2009, 07:45 AM
No backhand winners from Mauresmo? Was she only hitting slices?

Keadz
Jan 5th, 2009, 07:47 AM
She was just on the back foot to much, Dokic was hitting her off the court. Her backhand was fine, striking it well. I thought she was hitting quite well today, she should be able to go further up the rankings.

Natalicious
Jan 5th, 2009, 07:50 AM
amelie :woohoo: :rocker2:

SM
Jan 5th, 2009, 07:55 AM
When Jelena got an early break like 3-2 in the first set she then hit 3 doubles followed by an error...even the commentators were saying tthat first set really belonged to Jelena who was making all the play

every extended rally, jelena was always on top of her but tough luck...need more matches

lilimi
Jan 5th, 2009, 08:04 AM
:sad: jelena :awww: :hug:
but i think it's a good result for her.

rada
Jan 5th, 2009, 08:21 AM
"It's disappointing because I had a chance ... but I'm proud," Dokic said. "I had two tight sets against a girl in the top 20. If you'd said six months ago I'd be this close, I'd have said 'you're crazy.'"

new-york
Jan 5th, 2009, 08:22 AM
well, i underestimated Jelena, hopefully she will try to take all the positive from this and not dissapear after the AO.

not sure about Amélie's performance though.

honeymo
Jan 5th, 2009, 08:33 AM
I'm just happy that she won :bounce:

MaBaker
Jan 5th, 2009, 08:36 AM
Amelie :woohoo: :hug:

Mr.Kardashian
Jan 5th, 2009, 08:45 AM
well, i underestimated Jelena, hopefully she will try to take all the positive from this and not dissapear after the AO.

not sure about Amélie's performance though.

I think Amelie actually played very well - Dokic didnt allow her to dominate but she was striking the ball really well, moving very well and not making too many errors

pepaw
Jan 5th, 2009, 08:53 AM
amelie didnt play well, she didnt have many errors cause she was just getting stuff back and playing passively.

she didnt play badly however.

Ballbasher
Jan 5th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Jelena :hug: As everyone says she played good, I hope she takes the positive things and keeps improving! :)

améliemomo
Jan 5th, 2009, 08:59 AM

well said:yeah:

considering it was amelie first match since 2 months and a half,that was solid play from amelie;
dokic is a talented player and we know it but making many winners but also manny errors dont make you win a match.Its a whole thing.
Amelie needs to step it up cause her next rounds are tough.

Allez Amélie!:)

BartoliBabes
Jan 5th, 2009, 09:05 AM
like WhatTheDeuce i also need to see this match :( can anyone upload it? it would be soooo appreciated

volta
Jan 5th, 2009, 09:08 AM
OMG so close :o hopefully this means Jelena is getting back on track :bounce:

Dawson.
Jan 5th, 2009, 09:09 AM
I'm n ot sure if this is good for Dokic or bad for Mauresmo :unsure:

Mr.Kardashian
Jan 5th, 2009, 09:11 AM
it was good for mauresmo and great for Dokic ;) was a very high quality match

MilanDokic
Jan 5th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Fantastic match!

Baby, good luck in Sydney!

Cankarlo
Jan 5th, 2009, 09:18 AM
I want to see the replay of it. The shots which Jelena did were fabulous.

Mr.Kardashian
Jan 5th, 2009, 09:19 AM
and her shhhh sounds were as good as ever!

serenus_2k8
Jan 5th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Congrats Momo

Cankarlo
Jan 5th, 2009, 09:32 AM
yeah congrats to Amelie!! But I think Jelena was the better player today. She was unlucky not to win that first set. Boy I thought the tiebreak in the first set will never finish!!

Fired
Jan 5th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Good fight Jelena! :yeah:

BartoliBabes
Jan 5th, 2009, 09:37 AM
can anybody upload this?????

Lucemferre
Jan 5th, 2009, 09:41 AM
:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

ChampLindsay
Jan 5th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Jelena:sad: but keep it up for Hobart and Melbourne, especially in Hobart are girls, you can beat with such a great performance:wavey:

G&R
Jan 5th, 2009, 10:01 AM
well done to both

patch.
Jan 5th, 2009, 10:07 AM
I just wish she had won :sobbing:
If this Dokic is here to stay though, shes on her way up :D

tucker1989
Jan 5th, 2009, 10:24 AM
“It’s disappointing because I had a chance … but I’m proud,” Dokic said. “I had two tight sets against a girl in the top 20. If you’d said six months ago I’d be this close, I’d have said ‘you’re crazy.”’

This is exactly how she should be looking at it. It would be wrong for her not to be disappointed, because she could have won, but she also needs to realize that she played fantastic tennis for much of this match. Keep improving Jelena and good luck next week!

ce
Jan 5th, 2009, 10:27 AM
:sad:

SM
Jan 5th, 2009, 10:30 AM
“It’s disappointing because I had a chance … but I’m proud,” Dokic said. “I had two tight sets against a girl in the top 20. If you’d said six months ago I’d be this close, I’d have said ‘you’re crazy.”’

This is exactly how she should be looking at it. It would be wrong for her not to be disappointed, because she could have won, but she also needs to realize that she played fantastic tennis for much of this match. Keep improving Jelena and good luck next week!

exactly, even the commentators said "there is only one person playing tennis out there and thats jelena" towards the end of the match...she was outclassing mauresmo alotof the time and mauresmo wasnt playing bad!

its just too much to expect her to beat Mauresmo who is top 20 so soon, possible yes, but too early!

Spartan
Jan 5th, 2009, 10:31 AM
:bounce: So glad Amelie made it through, great way to start the year. From the stats it looks like she was playing too defensively but what's new there???:rolleyes: At least the serving stats were better and she didn't make too many errors which has been a big problem recently. Hopefully she can get better with more matches.

Good to see Dokic playing well too. :yeah: Would be nice to see her back at the top of the game.

Elwin.
Jan 5th, 2009, 11:07 AM

Miss Atomic Bomb
Jan 5th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Momo !

Mashafaaaaan
Jan 5th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Very happy for Momo; she seems very confident, I mean, she saved set points:worship:, cople months ago, it was the opposite:rolleyes: anyway good win, now take care of Ivanovic:devil:

Keadz
Jan 5th, 2009, 11:17 AM
she saved ONE set point, Jelena screwed up and went crazy on the others.

GeeTee
Jan 5th, 2009, 11:19 AM
the only thing I didn't like about today was that Jelena has TOTALLY lost her Aussie accent. She sounds like a taxi-driver that arrived last week. I know it's understandable since she hasn't lived here in almost 7 years, but still, sounds weird to me. Come back and live with your Mum for a few more weeks each year Jelena!

GeeTee
Jan 5th, 2009, 11:26 AM
PS

Staying with Mum in Sydney from maybe from post US Open to AUS Open might allow Jelena to work with some REAL tennis coach (ie Roche again) who could really adapt her game. Not saying Bikic hasn't done well with her over last year or so, but she could really benefit from some extra dimension (ie fierce kick serve, more topspin on strokes, more confident netplay. She has all the attributes for the above but does her current coach have the knowledge to take her to the extra level?)

SM
Jan 5th, 2009, 11:29 AM
PS

Staying with Mum in Sydney from maybe from post US Open to AUS Open might allow Jelena to work with some REAL tennis coach (ie Roche again) who could really adapt her game. Not saying Bikic hasn't done well with her over last year or so, but she could really benefit from some extra dimension (ie fierce kick serve, more topspin on strokes, more confident netplay. She has all the attributes for the above but does her current coach have the knowledge to take her to the extra level?)

I agree todays play was vintage Dokic, but you could still see the serve as a big concern that needs work...heck id go as far as to say it made her lost the match

also, she needs to add more topspin on her down the line shots...other than that i dont think there was anything wrong with her off the ground

Brena
Jan 5th, 2009, 11:34 AM
:scratch: I hope this match bodes well for Jelena! I didn't expect it to be so close! :eek::bounce:
Amelie, get serious please! :smooch:

merda2004
Jan 5th, 2009, 11:34 AM
wow!i didnt expect that from dokic!
well done to her although she lost!

markdelaney
Jan 5th, 2009, 11:51 AM
So close and proof that Jelena is capable of being back in the top 100 at least. Amelie on reflection doesn't look that good at the moment and just seemed content to keep the ball in court and hope for an error. She isn't top 20 at the moment in the rankings and it might be a difficult year for her.

Sharapova's_Boy
Jan 5th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Wow, totally impressed with Jelena today. :worship: With more matches at WTA level she'll be back inside the top 50 in no time.

Now please don't draw Maria 1R at the AO. :unsure:

Slutiana
Jan 5th, 2009, 11:58 AM
WOW! I hope we get videos.

Andiyan
Jan 5th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Jelena, good performance, keep up the good work and rock in your next tournaments! :yeah: :bowdown:

joão.
Jan 5th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Jelena :sad:

galadriel
Jan 5th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Amelie :bounce:

V-MAC
Jan 5th, 2009, 12:52 PM
I'm glad I got the chance to watch this match:) Jelena's groundstrokes were clinical in that first set but unfortunately that serve was horrible. Just wish Jelena would take a little more time to compose herself between the 1st and 2nd serve but then she is hardly gonna change that now. You could just feel those doubles coming each time:( Still, it was really impressive from her and I hope this is the year it all comes together for her again:bounce:

Props to Amelie for winning. Her defense was spot on and she did play well to save some of those set points.

DragonFlame
Jan 5th, 2009, 12:54 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWW Dokic is doing so well! I'm shocked by those winnerstats! 0_0 She absolutely dictated play. So she needs to work on the serve and then she's top30 material again. :eek: This time i'm expecting a REAL comeback. :D

Monica_Rules
Jan 5th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Good to see Amelie winning but shame for Jelena. Hope she can do it in her next event.

Langers
Jan 5th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Yes her serve is horrendous, yes she choked big time, but man was she impressive.

First of all let me say what absolutely superb shape she is in, easily the best she’s looked since she’s been back playing. She has no troubles getting to balls now and staying in rallies isn’t a problem. She is still such a clean striker of the ball and she comprehensively outhit Mauresmo and had the better of the baseline duels. When the two were exchanging blows from the baseline more often than not Dokic got the best of it. Seriously, I couldn't get over how well she hit the ball, not many UE's when you consider how much she was going for.

Although she will be very, very upset at the loss, and it could potentially damage her confidence because she had so many chances, I think she will take an awful lot from the match. It’s only early in her comeback and yet she caused one of the best players on tour a great deal of trouble out there. On one hand I wish she had drawn an easier opponent because her standard of play today would have beaten the vast majority of the tour, she played that well. But on the other hand I’m glad she faced such strong competition because Mauresmo is a real tough player to come up against. She gives her opponent so many different looks, she’s always mixing things up, and she’s a smart player. So Dokic coming up against a player like this will be a terrific learning experience for her and I have no doubt she’ll be much better from playing the match.

She lost but I was extremely impressed. She’ll get a heap of wins this year just as long as she stays focused because one thing is for certain, the talent is still there!

Demska
Jan 5th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Jelena :eek: Close match, well done. I think this is just the start :)

Well done Amelie, tough 1R and wins in 2.

Medina
Jan 5th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Jelena played very well. I thought Amile played well. But always on the backfoot, thus why she was playing passivley to those posters who think she wasnt playing well.

Good signs for Jelena, she had her chances, but Amile fought very hard. Congrats to her

sonnys
Jan 5th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Momo:worship:

kwilliams
Jan 5th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Well done to both.

King Aaron
Jan 5th, 2009, 01:36 PM
:sobbing: Jelena, so close. Glad to hear that she played well though. :hug:

Congrats Amelie. :)

CR3WLFC
Jan 5th, 2009, 01:39 PM
YES MAURESMO is back:bounce::bounce::bounce:

faboozadoo15
Jan 5th, 2009, 01:43 PM

So you're not counting Amelie's 6 aces as winners? :help:

spencercarlos
Jan 5th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Mauresmo had 7 Fh winners + 6 aces + 2 winners that i remmember at the net (one saving a set point and one overhead winner at 2-4 first) that puts her at +1.

CR3WLFC
Jan 5th, 2009, 01:48 PM
whats mauresmo's rank?

Vincey!
Jan 5th, 2009, 02:25 PM
If only Dokic could have served better in some games she would have won easily in two straight sets :o..but still. Jelena played really well, she was dominating on the baseline :eek:...She truly deserve to be in the top 50 and would be easily higher with a less choking serve ;)

aussie_fan
Jan 5th, 2009, 02:26 PM
If she could get a serve and some sort of mental game, she would of won this. That first set, both times she served for the set, her serve went to even more complete shit , rushed between the points, just didn't look she was thinking or even reallty cared that greatly. Got to wonder how low her confidence must be at the moment. Because Mauresmo well.. didn't play that great...

Jelena is hitting her groundies beautifully :drool:

suzie
Jan 5th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Amélie :D

Tough 1st round AND 1st match of the year, which is never easy after a couple of months away from competition. So glad she could win it!

Serenita
Jan 5th, 2009, 02:47 PM
is there any video of the match available

WhatTheDeuce
Jan 5th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Someone upload it. :bigcry:

davidmario
Jan 5th, 2009, 03:08 PM
impressive performance by Jelena:worship:
davenport-like groundstrokes if not faster and good footwork. Just has to work on that second serve and she has to take more time in order to focus more. she was rushing too much. but those winners:drool: It's nice to see her play so well and she handled amelie's ugly slice very well:)
When she has some matches under her belt she will shine again:)

Ciarán
Jan 5th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Good scoreline Jelena :hug:

WhatTheDeuce
Jan 5th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Despite the loss, seeing this picture is sooooo nostalgic. I really hope Jelena can get some wins is Sydney and Melbourne, she really deserves it. Love her. :hearts:

http://i44.tinypic.com/2r2n536.jpg

Slutati
Jan 5th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Jelena. :crying2::bigcry:
She looks so hot though. :drool:

matty
Jan 5th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Everyone is saying how many gorgeous winners she hit, and how well she was hitting at times. That alone will make it worth watching. I must see. :drool:

Poor Jelena. Great effort though, she did well to make it that tight. She still has it.

You will be amazed at her many flashes of brilliance! :worship:

Hugo24
Jan 5th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Momo :yeah:

Dominic
Jan 5th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Oh my god, I think my heart is broken. She has soooo many chances to win this match, and everytime she hit a doublefault or missed a ridiculously easy shot. Anyway it is quite obvious that she needs to work on her second serve and concentration. Her groundstrokes are still out of this world :eek: Stay positive Jelena!:hug:

_Cell-chuk
Jan 5th, 2009, 04:12 PM
I watched the last points of the tie-break and the first 3 games of the second set before I left for work.
Let me tell all of you something, Jelena is hitting the ball very very well.

I thought she could have trouble with Amelie's slice and different spinny shots, but she had none of it. She handled them superbly, moved Amelie around and hit some great winners. Ok, she hit some shitty serves and double-faults but man in the rallies she was the dominant player. If Mauresmo was not the fit player that she is, Jelena could have won despite the shitty serving. Mauresmo may not be winning slams anymore but she is still physically one of the strongest and fittest players on the tour. From what I saw from the match, she was trying her hardest to stay in the rallies with Jelena.

I think this is very promising for Jelena.
Let's cross our fingers so that she gets a draw where she is able to win a couple of matches to help her ranking at this point. But having said that, I believe she is top50 material even at this point, if not better.

SAEKeithSerena
Jan 5th, 2009, 04:13 PM
great job amelie!!!

DownTheLine21
Jan 5th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Damn. I really wanted Dokic to win this match, but, from what I hear, she was playing very well. She just struggled during the pressure moments.

Lulu.
Jan 5th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Jelena. :sobbing:

Gutted she didn't win this match as she was clearly the better player out there.

But overall her performance was great and hopefully she doesn't get too down on herself because she was in this match the whole time and really should of won but non the less she is definitely Top 20 material if not higher.

Best of luck in Sydney. :yeah:

Sander.
Jan 5th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Amelie:woohoo::kiss:

RR-87
Jan 5th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Jelly :hug: great match :hug:

the main thing is that she's pleased with her perfomance so she will be even more motivated next time :D

Momo :kiss: important thing to start new season with a win :yeah:

Sund7101
Jan 5th, 2009, 05:11 PM
I was impressed by Dokic, her groundstrokes were good and she was moving well, but the same old second serve woes are still there. She was just rushing through her service games, having said that ,I think she will be back in the Top 25 by years end.

Lennval
Jan 5th, 2009, 05:19 PM
We want these kind of Jelena's matches!, just go on Jelly!

hablo
Jan 5th, 2009, 05:19 PM
So you're not counting Amelie's 6 aces as winners? :help:

Mauresmo had 7 Fh winners + 6 aces + 2 winners that i remmember at the net (one saving a set point and one overhead winner at 2-4 first) that puts her at +1.

I knew something was missing from those calculations. And I recall Momo having a couple volley winners as well. :lol:

Lucemferre
Jan 5th, 2009, 05:25 PM
The more I see these comeback players the more I respect druggie Hingis. It's not easy to do what she did. You see Dokic, Date and even Davenport, none of them are top tenners, not even close. Hingis got back in the top ten with ease. She wasn't an elite player like Henin but a solid top ten player. She even made it to the yec. That arrogant bitch was good, very good.

Berlin_Calling
Jan 5th, 2009, 05:27 PM
i was VERY impressed by Jelena's game last night. her forehand was looking super solid - is it just me or does her forehand swing look a bit different from when she was in the top 10? anyways, Jelena's backhand was a bit more inconsistent last night but that consistency will definitely come with more high leveled match play. there was definitely one backhand DTL in that second set which reminded me of VINTAGE Dokic. having said that, i dont think Amelie played too badly. her movement looked great and so did her volleys. her forehand was pretty shite throughtout the match, but still, i thought she was playing miles better than the tennis she was producing most of last year, which is definitely a positive.

Dominic
Jan 5th, 2009, 05:42 PM
I was sooo impressed with Jelena's power. I think its is EASILY top 5-10 right now.

Wintermute
Jan 5th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Wow, reading what people who saw the match are saying about Jelena it all sounds so much more positive than before. :D Just a shame she couldn't nick one of those sets. Hope it doesn't get her down too much.

With this form it sounds like she has a great shot at qualifying into Sydney.

Mina Vagante
Jan 5th, 2009, 05:52 PM
I was sooo impressed with Jelena's power. I think its is EASILY top 5-10 right now.

Who are you ? Mi novio ?:)

Lighter
Jan 5th, 2009, 06:10 PM
I have still some doubts concerning current Amélie and Jelena's level. I'm not sure that it was a top 20 match level. Of course a lot of winners from jelena but a very weak 2nd serve (in comparison with Azarenka's stats)

As Amélie won this very closed match, i want to see what she gonna do vs Julie. By beating Wickmayer, Bychkova and Shvedova plus her 3 sets match vs Groenefeld, Julie has proved she's actually top 60-70. If Amélie wins this match in straight sets, it will be OK, not before.

flyingmachine
Jan 5th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Jelly :hug: great match :hug:

the main thing is that she's pleased with her perfomance so she will be even more motivated next time :D

Momo :kiss: important thing to start new season with a win :yeah:

Indeed :worship: Go Amelie!

cn ireland
Jan 5th, 2009, 06:49 PM
So so close to getting a good win for Jelena:sad:. But its encouraging that she played really well at times and kept it tight. Good luck in Sydney qualies:yeah:!

Well done to Amelie on getting the win:).

smiler
Jan 5th, 2009, 06:54 PM
A win's a win, happy days :)

CrossCourt~Rally
Jan 5th, 2009, 07:17 PM
MoMo :yeah:. A nice way to start the year. I hope she goes far in this tourney :cool:.

Jelly :hug: Still a nice fight against a top player :bounce:. Hopefully she can get a better draw next week and at the Aussie Open :bounce:

charmedRic
Jan 5th, 2009, 08:44 PM
better luck Dokic!

$uricate
Jan 5th, 2009, 08:52 PM
This seems really promising. She's obviously playing well!

However, if some choking was involved Im also worried it scould be a repeat of 2006, close results leading to high expectations then in the end only the choking remains :(

But Im staying positive :)

Oh yeah, congratz Amelie :yeah:

raquel
Jan 5th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Well done Amelie, but good to hear Dokic is in some kind of form :) I wish her well :hug:

Noctis
Jan 5th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Thats all you got...pathetic!

Did you even watch the match? Obviously not.

I woke up 5am in the morning to watch it You tard.
And All I saw is Jelenas Play:hearts:
I had to be Honest MoMo didnt play all that great
Your saying she played Fantastic? and outplaying Jelena:rolleyes:

IceHock
Jan 5th, 2009, 10:07 PM

it did feel like the match was on jelena's raquet, she was either hitting a winner or hitting an error, amelie played some good defense though to draw errors, i think she basicly just did enough to get by, nothing flashy or spectacular while jelena was playing by the motto go big or go home.

Matt01
Jan 5th, 2009, 10:49 PM

You make it sound like Jelena played great and Momo played like shit? Then how come Momo won in straight sets and Jelena lost? Obviously Momo did something right in that match to win it (and no I haven't seen the match).

Boomguy
Jan 5th, 2009, 11:04 PM
It was an awesome match to be at very entertaining, and sometimes boring at 1 stage she was serving for the match she commited 3 double faults in a row. but the points were amazing and the tie breaks were very close. Good luck for Qualifying for Sydney

young_gunner913
Jan 5th, 2009, 11:15 PM
Momo :hearts:

northern lad
Jan 5th, 2009, 11:30 PM

:weirdo:

amelie didn't have to play all that great. jelena did a good enough job of double faulting.:p

Pasta-Na
Jan 5th, 2009, 11:33 PM
momo :D

Temperenka
Jan 5th, 2009, 11:51 PM
The serving by Jelena was :tape:
But her groundstrokes were :drool:

Amelie :D good fight!

Hugo24
Jan 6th, 2009, 12:04 AM
What was with the bad line call that got Momo all pissed ?

Indytennis
Jan 6th, 2009, 01:13 AM

Ummm re-read my thread...never did i use the word Fantastic to describe Amelie's play and NEVER did i say she outplayed Jelena, so roll your eyes all you want but get your facts straight.

My point was and is- How can people say Jelena played great and then say in the same sentence Amelie didnt play well??? Let me remind you that Amelie won the match not Jelena.

Huntress55
Jan 6th, 2009, 01:17 AM
I was at the match. Dokic played some amazing shots, but didnt do it when she really needed to.
Her serving wasnt great, particulary when she needed it to be.
By the end of it everytime she had a chance to get ahead I pretty much expected her to fall short, and she did :(
Still if she can build up off those amzing ground strokes she produced, she could do well.
Needs to improve her attitude abit too, she just looked defeated for most of the match. I guess it was after losing hte first set, but she needs to learn to get past that and get on with it.

homogenius
Jan 6th, 2009, 02:08 AM
Amelie fought well but she was kinda lucky to win this one, especially in straights.Dokic was better in the rallies, but failed big time on the important points.All those df killed her but her groundstrokes were impressive.

ninanina19
Jan 6th, 2009, 02:19 AM
I was at the match. Dokic played some amazing shots, but didnt do it when she really needed to.
Her serving wasnt great, particulary when she needed it to be.
By the end of it everytime she had a chance to get ahead I pretty much expected her to fall short, and she did :(
Still if she can build up off those amzing ground strokes she produced, she could do well.
Needs to improve her attitude abit too, she just looked defeated for most of the match. I guess it was after losing hte first set, but she needs to learn to get past that and get on with it.

Did the crowd like her?

Привет
Jan 6th, 2009, 02:22 AM
I wasn't actually inside the arena watching, but I could still hear the crowd. On the whole they were supportive, with a few "Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi" chants going around. There were quite a few disappointed "Aww" sounds as well when Jelena hit an error on a break point. It seemed to me that everyone wanted her to do well. :)

CJ07
Jan 6th, 2009, 03:36 AM
I'm impressed by the fact that she didn't tank the second set. The fact that she kept trying should be commended.

SM
Jan 6th, 2009, 03:52 AM
im impressed with the fact her form has only improved, a few weeks ago she lost o an aussie junior...and now she has a 2 time grand slam champ on the ropes right from the get go!! go dokic in sydney quallies

~Eclipsed~
Jan 6th, 2009, 04:14 AM
I'm impressed by the fact that she didn't tank the second set. The fact that she kept trying should be commended.

Exactly. Based off old Jelena, i thought she was going to lose that second set 0-6 or 1-6. Then when she got down 5-3, she looked like she was down and out, but got a few chances and got belief back that she could comeback and push it to a third. I really like her new fighting spirit. If only, she could fix her service rushing.