PDA

View Full Version : Auckland 1R: Vaidisova d. Kudryavtseva 7-6(3) 4-6 7-5

alwayshingis
Jan 5th, 2009, 03:08 AM
:eek: It certainly wasn't pretty, but good for Nicole's confidence that she got through it.

RenaSlam.
Jan 5th, 2009, 03:08 AM
Some of Nicole's errors were just :help:

Alla seems like a total bitch :lol:

Lulu.
Jan 5th, 2009, 03:10 AM
I turned the live stream off an hour ago thinking she would of won this in two sets. :o

Non the less, well done Nikki. :yeah:

~Cherry*Blossom~
Jan 5th, 2009, 03:12 AM
At least she won!

njnetswill
Props to Alla for fighting from 0-4 down in that final set.

Nicole :unsure:

SOA_MC
Good for Nicole not to completely collapse:o

Poor Alla:sad:

Temperenka
After last year, a win is a win. However, I wish it were more convincing. :( Either way, great job at the end Nicole!

frenchie
Jan 5th, 2009, 03:13 AM
Blah!!

Skor44
It was a pretty awful match to watch, filled with errors. But well done to Nicole for getting through it. She's slowly coming back!

Amalgamate
:lol: Way to pull it out Nicole

Sexysova
Jan 5th, 2009, 03:14 AM
so tough and exhausting for me being a fan :sobbing: I'm so happy Nicole is through :woohoo: I even can't write..

Drake1980
Jan 5th, 2009, 03:14 AM
:dance:

MarieC
Jan 5th, 2009, 03:17 AM
Not the smoothest comeback match but she won it!

Leo_DFP
Jan 5th, 2009, 03:19 AM
Wow, what a nutty match with so many momentum shifts. I watched the live webstream.

Vaidisova looked secure at 4-0 up in the final set. She was serving well while Kudryavtseva was giving her tons of unforced errors, showing inexperience by making bad decisions like a pathetic drop shot attempt on break point. And then, in typical Nicole fashion, she started crumbling.

Alla's coach came on the court when his pupil was down 2*-5 and gave her some good advice. She was stubborn when speaking with him, but he told her to take her chances when she was set up and had a short ball. She took his advice when Nicole was serving at 5*-3, 40-15 and saved both match points with positive, aggressive rallies. That's when Nicole really started spraying errors everywhere. She recovered when serving at 5-5 and got up 30-0 with two winners set up by her serve. Then all of a sudden another string of ugly errors and she was down break point. Have to say Nicole was lucky Alla didn't capitalize on her momentum there and take that opportunity.

The dumb butt commentator who was calling the match actually had the audacity to say at 6-5, "It will most likely be a tiebreak now." As if, after all the erratic play from both and all the breaks of serve in the final set alone, he could say with confidence that there would most likely be a tiebreak. Yeah, right. It didn't happen.

Vaidisova did end the match with a great return winner dtl off a weak Kudry second serve. But that was one of my biggest problems with Nicole during this match. I don't understand why her new coach hasn't worked on changing Vaidisova's big swings. I swear, you watch her wind up during a match and throw her racquet back so far, and you have no clue what the result will be. Sometimes I'm afraid for the people in the audience that she might misfire and smack one of them in the head! But because she has such big backswings on both of her groundstrokes, she needs to time the ball almost perfectly. So during this match, why was she taking big swings on some of Alla's hard, flat first serves? Naturally, she caught many of them late and hit them well wide, and also often dumped them in the net. Meanwhile, she didn't punish enough of the weak second serves that she was getting from Kudryavtseva. Those were the ones to attack and place in the corners of the court! I wish Vaidisova could find a coach who would really correct her swing and just make it more practical, so she's not swinging wildly all the time from the baseline. I'd rather see her find a way into net than just stay on the baseline all match long.

itzhak
Jan 5th, 2009, 03:20 AM
Nicole almost choke in the end when she lost 2 MP's in 5-3, somehow she managed to win it but she looks exactly like in 2008 form...

However, her body is stunning, you could not igmore that when you watch her playing...

TennisPlayingFox
Jan 5th, 2009, 03:25 AM
Quite the up and down match. Good fight from Vaidisova to pull it out.

sammy01
Jan 5th, 2009, 03:26 AM
that was a big steaming turd of a match, it was paiful to watch.

didn't see any improvement from nicole bar she didn't completely collapse.

Cakeisgood
Jan 5th, 2009, 03:42 AM
ugh.

V-MAC
Jan 5th, 2009, 04:04 AM
Too bad Alla didn't return well on those key second serves. Anyway, a good gutsy win for Nicole :)

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Jan 5th, 2009, 04:04 AM
Nicole showed the same 2008 level

Harju.
Jan 5th, 2009, 04:40 AM
Nicole :hearts:

Rod the Bama
Jan 5th, 2009, 04:56 AM
Good win for Nikki. :clap2: I know it`s not exactly her best match, but at this point any win will do. Hopefully this will be the step in the right direction for her and give her some confidence.

Nikkiri
Jan 5th, 2009, 05:44 AM
Not exactly convincing but a wins a win. Well done Nicole!

RJWCapriati
Jan 5th, 2009, 06:50 AM
Not pretty but at least she got through!!!! :bounce:

ElusiveChanteuse
Jan 5th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Nicole :D

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 5th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Thank GOD you didn't COMPLETELY choke Nicole :yeah:

darkangel23
Jan 5th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Nicole :yeah:

Alla :hug:

G&R
Jan 5th, 2009, 09:18 AM
well done nicole good fight

Dawson.
Jan 5th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Well............ The important thing is Nicole is through......... :scared:

Merseykmight
Jan 5th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Well done Nikki!!

patch.
Jan 5th, 2009, 11:05 AM
:eek:
well she won, thats the most important thing
just dosnt seem like shes improved that much :unsure: next match(es) will give a better Idea :)

Sexysova
Jan 5th, 2009, 11:06 AM
there's a big improvement.. Nicole is not tanking anything anymore.. she fought so hard to win and it paid off :D

Steff_forever
Jan 5th, 2009, 11:07 AM
fought til the end, thanks Niki :hug:

Viktymise
Jan 5th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Rediculously drawn-out match which should have been over about an hour earlier, had it not been for the numerous dips in concentration from Nicole and many wasted opportunities.

One big plus - Nicole's attitude. Wasn't looking to tank at any point, and stayed pretty calm from start to finish.

Unfortunately, Nicole's FW looks as lackadaisical as ever. Yes, she hit tons of flashy winners (:drool:) but on way too many occasions got flat-footed and out of position on about the 2nd or 3rd shot of the rally.

Her defense certainly hasn't improved either. The second Kudryavtseva got Nicole on the run, the point was almost surely hers.

Only thing to worry about on her serve was the fact that she made less than 50% throughout the match. 2nd serve was solid, and the 1st serve saved her on countless occasions.

Her ROS may have improved somewhat. Maybe it was just piss-poor serving from Kudryavtseva though. Her new (?) tactic seems to be try and get as many 1st serve returns back in as possible, no matter how conservatively placed. On many occasions this left Nicole a complete sitting duck, and was left watching a winner whizz past. On 2nd serve return, it was hitting the ball as hard as she could, back up the middle of the court over the high part of the net. This often gave her excellent court position when she was arsed to move her feet.

Must be said, Kudryavtseva's flat, compact and hard strokes are not the easiest thing for Nicole to deal with. Someone who likes time on the ball with her large swings was always ging to suffer timing problems off the ground against a player like Kudryavtseva. For the first 5 games or so, Alla played flawless tennis, hitting an array of CC FF winners out of nowhere, and effortlessly from around the 2nd or 3rd shot in the rally. Made me think how on earth she wasn't a top 30 player. But, it only looked so effortless because it was coming off. At about 4-2 in the 1st set, her form wildly fluctuated from then on in, showing that her game is very risky and pulling it off over a three set match against a high-callibre opponent is a mamoth task.

améliemomo
Jan 5th, 2009, 11:26 AM
tough win for nicole but a win is a win.

Hope her to take some positive thing from that match:)

Spartan
Jan 5th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Her tennis was still ropey but her attitude seems much improved. I thought she'd blown her chance having led 4-0 and having match points at 5-3 but she pulled it out. She certainly wasn't winning these sort of matches last year and hopefully a few more wins like this will help her confidence.

Merseykmight
Jan 5th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Did anyone record the match please?~

Monica_Rules
Jan 5th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Good to see Nicole winning. I think she will make a comeback this year.

Sharapova's_Boy
Jan 5th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Oh thank god Nicole pulled through. :o

Please try and play yourself into some kind of form. :hearts:

joăo.
Jan 5th, 2009, 01:41 PM
A win is a win. :help:

tiffanykatya.
Jan 5th, 2009, 01:46 PM
keep winning, Nicole!

mashasabinefan1
Jan 5th, 2009, 02:02 PM
she won and at the end of the end of the day thats all that matters. glad she didnt tank it! now win your next match as well nicole

Pink Princess
Jan 5th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Allahttp://smilies-gifs.com/enfadados/11enfadados.gifhttp://smilies-gifs.com/enfadados/11enfadados.gifhttp://smilies-gifs.com/enfadados/11enfadados.gif

Effy
Jan 5th, 2009, 03:52 PM
thanks Nicole :D

rofleki
Jan 5th, 2009, 04:01 PM
YEA...:bounce:...It's very important for you:kiss: Thank you:hearts:

Ciarán
Jan 5th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Nicole :hug:
Good luck next round :yeah:

Marcelo.
Jan 5th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Nicole :unsure:
Good luck in next round :hearts: :hug:

Sander.
Jan 5th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Nicole:scared:

Good luck in the next round:hug::)

FrenchY52
Jan 5th, 2009, 05:51 PM
:inlove:

fufuqifuqishahah
Jan 5th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Nicole almost choke in the end when she lost 2 MP's in 5-3, somehow she managed to win it but she looks exactly like in 2008 form...

However, her body is stunning, you could not igmore that when you watch her playing...

:lol::lol::lol:

Princeza
Jan 5th, 2009, 06:24 PM
I wish Vaidisova could find a coach who would really correct her swing and just make it more practical, so she's not swinging wildly all the time from the baseline. I'd rather see her find a way into net than just stay on the baseline all match long.

Agreed, still that's not a process she can get quickly, she has to get used to it so that it might come more naturally after that.
Anyway as ugly as this was, a win is a win :p

sammy01
Jan 5th, 2009, 06:30 PM
i don't think nicole wants to be rushing to the net often, she completely fluffed two easy volleys early in the match and never looked comfortable up at net. her coach (david felgate?) gave very good advice when he came onto court so i think hes doing his job, nicole just needs to do hers.

Princeza
Jan 5th, 2009, 06:40 PM
i don't think nicole wants to be rushing to the net often, she completely fluffed two easy volleys early in the match and never looked comfortable up at net. her coach (david felgate?) gave very good advice when he came onto court so i think hes doing his job, nicole just needs to do hers.

Don't think she wants to do it often either but it might help her sometimes if she worked on it. I mean it's a technique it's not like she's not able to do it.

Sexysova
Jan 5th, 2009, 07:52 PM

agree :worship:

DownTheLine21
Jan 5th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Ouch. Maybe Kudryavtseva was playing well (using up her one good performance for the season), but this doesn't look good for Vaidisova. A win is a win, but I was hoping for a more emphatic start to 2009.

hurricanejeanne
Jan 5th, 2009, 08:02 PM
A win is a win, I think a tight, messy match like this could help Nicole in the long run. She didn't give up like she seemed to have done a lot last year. Hopefully, this is a little step in a good direction for Nicole. :D

Sexysova
Jan 5th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Ouch. Maybe Kudryavtseva was playing well (using up her one good performance for the season), but this doesn't look good for Vaidisova. A win is a win, but I was hoping for a more emphatic start to 2009.

well.. what about Venus vs Kudryavtseva at Wimbledon 2007? Venus won the title then :)

Dexter
Jan 5th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Nicole ain't Venus, as Auckland is no Wimbledon...

Vaidisova Ruled
Jan 5th, 2009, 08:52 PM
You're good, really

Slutati
Jan 5th, 2009, 08:54 PM
:woohoo:
At least she won. :inlove:

hablo
Jan 5th, 2009, 08:58 PM
I saw most of this match. Kudryavtseva hit more winners than Vaidisova ( :eek: ) but I think her serve was what let her down alot.

#kArLoS#
Jan 5th, 2009, 09:04 PM
at least Nicole won:shrug:

Sexysova
Jan 5th, 2009, 09:45 PM

:rolleyes:

SvetaPleaseWin.
Jan 5th, 2009, 10:29 PM
at least she won