PDA

View Full Version : Australian season

Pages : 1 [2]

adner
Jan 20th, 2009, 03:10 AM
The only thing that's significant that should be cared about is the ranking points. She'll be out of the Top Ten, and that might make her draws from now on a bit harder. At least she'll come back next year with a "clean slate". And she's gotten a "big loss" out of the way for this year, so hopefully there won't be too many more.

She will be out of top ten only if Wozniacki reaches semifinals, and that is not likely, is it?

Bartek
Jan 20th, 2009, 04:58 AM
OMG :mad: I was pretty sure that she will win that 3rd set, so I went to bed

terrible match from Aga :sad: and those winners from Kateryna :eek:

Pszczelny
Jan 20th, 2009, 06:28 AM
This was the worse performance I ever saw from Agnieszka. I walked away from my computer at 0:3 in the third because I could not take it anymore. Oh well, I will stay optimist, she deserves at least that much from her fans. She really doesn't disappoint us that often. Have better luck in the rest of the season Agnieszka.

true, we have much more reasons to be happy because of her than to be sad :yeah:

olivero
Jan 20th, 2009, 06:53 AM
omfg
what a devastating result :( :sad:
now we just have to hope it's not another Chaky/Vaidisova/Shahar slump :unsure:

damn

Dexter
Jan 20th, 2009, 07:00 AM
The difference between Safina, Murray and Aga is that Dinara & Andy have serve and Aga doesn't. Serve is probably the most 'improve-able' element of the game and Agnieszka hasn't improved it in any way. Of course one can say it can't be that bad if she's winning matches and serving aces at times. But she's normally not getting much cheap points of it and the quality of her 2nd serve... let's just not go there again. Bondarenko hit 3 BH return winners in a row of Aga's serve (maybe they were just 3 in the game, not 3 in a row, but she's hit plenty of return winners).
It's possible to improve Aga's serve but she needs to admit that. Henin has, Dementiewa has...

papru
Jan 20th, 2009, 07:19 AM
OMFG I HAVE GOT NO WORDS :o

spriwi
Jan 20th, 2009, 08:09 AM
wow. shocking result for me.

Agata.
Jan 20th, 2009, 09:35 AM
The difference between Safina, Murray and Aga is that Dinara & Andy have serve and Aga doesn't. Serve is probably the most 'improve-able' element of the game and Agnieszka hasn't improved it in any way. Of course one can say it can't be that bad if she's winning matches and serving aces at times. But she's normally not getting much cheap points of it and the quality of her 2nd serve... let's just not go there again. Bondarenko hit 3 BH return winners in a row of Aga's serve (maybe they were just 3 in the game, not 3 in a row, but she's hit plenty of return winners).
It's possible to improve Aga's serve but she needs to admit that. Henin has, Dementiewa has...

I know about it, I was just trying to console myself by thinking that a first round loss in a GS doesn't mean a bad rest of the season :shrug: :)

Agata.
Jan 20th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Do you think that Aga is going to play Mixed because she's lost in singles so early?

Agata.
Jan 20th, 2009, 10:31 AM
http://www.sport.pl/celebrities/1,83535,6179132,Agnieszka_Radwanska_odpadla_z_Aust ralian_Open_w_I.html

Comments after the match: (my summary)

Aga: [according to the link, she came to the press conference really sad, like she'd been crying although she denied that she had] The supporters were great, unfortunately both me and Marta didn't match the level of their cheering. I lost to my opponent, not to wind or heat. I didn't show great form and play in this match. Bondarenko played like I've expected. She didn't make many mistakes, was very consistent. There were many long rallies in this match.

(About 51 UEs): I don't know why I made so many errors, I was constantly hitting the net. The errors were often minimal, but there was too many of them. Maybe if I had a bit more luck in the 1st set and won it...

It's hard not to admit that I was a favourite in this match. I wanted to reach at least 3 or 4 rounds in this tournament. But defeats happen. This is a part of tennis. I won't go and hang myself in the bathroom. In the last years I played really good in GS, but sometimes suprises just happen. Beside me, in the 1st round other 63 girls will be out.

Aga's father:
(Just after the match): Am I on the courts? I won't go there during the next 3 days. Please, ask Agnieszka about the match.

(Aga answered that it's normal that her father is angry after such a match, but the emotions will surely be gone. They'll later talk what was wrong in this match.)

Woźniacki's father:
Please, do not critice Agnieszka after such a match. Even 10th tennis player in the world sometimes loses. In my opion, if there was no wind and heat, the difference would have been on Agnieszka's side. If the conditions on the court are extreme, it's often an advantage for the lower ranked tennis player, who fights in the match like for their life, in order to cause an upset.

Agata.
Jan 20th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Bondarenko:
(While talking to polish journalists) [talking in Polish] I'm sorry that I've done this to you [smiling]. I'm very happy, last time I defeated a Top10 players sth like two years ago in Strasburg [wasn't that in Stuttgart?], where I defeated Ana Ivanovic.

I've never played against her before, but I asked for advice my sister Alona, who once defeated Agnieszka. She told me to force Agnieszka to run and was patient in long rallies. And I did like she told me.

I have really nice memories connected with Poland, beside my geography techer who had never really liked me, I think.

Sorry if I've made any mistakes, I hope it's understandable ;)

Dexter
Jan 20th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Good response from Aga. It's a sport and such thing can happen and will happen.

Katya is a sweet girl, I always liked her more over Alona, so if Aga had to lose to someone I'd rather it was somebody I could stand.

SOA_MC
Jan 20th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Court 11

Jill Craybas(USA) / Tamarine Tanasugarn(THA) vs. Agnieszka Radwanska(POL) / Urszula Radwanska(POL)
Gisela Dulko(ARG) / Roberta Vinci(ITA) vs. Alona Bondarenko(UKR)[4] / Kateryna Bondarenko(UKR)[4]
Bruno Soares(BRA)[7] / Kevin Ullyett(ZIM)[7] vs. Julien Benneteau(FRA) / Florent Serra(FRA)
Agustin Calleri(ARG) / Eduardo Schwank(ARG) vs. Stephen Huss(AUS) / Ross Hutchins(GBR)

Iceland
Jan 20th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Some wise words indeed said by Aga :yeah:.
I haven't seen the match so I won't elaborate much on this loss. Like everyone, I'm pretty disappointed or more surprised as I didn't see this one coming ... but in women's tennis everything can happen ^^. Given the heat and how slow Melbourne's courts are, it was certainly pretty hard for her to add power to her strokes. It becomes quite a handicap if you can't prevail in rallies... I have seen that Aga tried to go to the net but it was more based on intimidation than on determination. At least she knows what she has to work on in the short-term.
It's just one loss... it's not as if she were running out of confidence. Good luck in doubles!

netimka
Jan 20th, 2009, 05:29 PM
oh Aga Aga:sad: hope its only one off and the rest of this season will be great:angel:

Good luck in double... go sis :rocker2:

justine schnyder
Jan 20th, 2009, 05:44 PM
:sad: :sad:
I was so sad for Aga, I saw on ES the last game of the match, seeing her playing like this was sad, and seeing her walking outdise the court with her head down was even sadder :sad:

That game was awful, and from what I've heard all the match was (from her side.. Not Kateryna's)

I hope she'll take some positive things from this loss, a bit rest, more practice, and please do something with the serve!! On bad days she'll have to rely on some easy points from the serve which would make it a bit easier for her, but with such an attackable serve it won't happen, and I think she needs it on days with tough conditions, or just bad days.

Nice comments though, really mature, and very nice from Katya and Wozniacki's dad.

justine schnyder
Jan 20th, 2009, 05:46 PM
:sad: :sad:
I was so sad for Aga, I saw on ES the last game of the match, seeing her playing like this was sad, and seeing her walking outdise the court with her head down was even sadder :sad:

That game was awful, and from what I've heard all the match was (from her side.. Not Kateryna's)

I hope she'll take some positive things from this loss, a bit rest, more practice, and please do something with the serve!! On bad days she'll have to rely on some easy points from the serve which would make it a bit easier for her, but with such an attackable serve it won't happen, and I think she needs it on days with tough conditions, or just bad days.

Nice comments though, really mature, and very nice from Katya and Wozniacki's dad.

Agata.
Jan 20th, 2009, 11:57 PM
First set 6:3 for Aga&Ula

The weather in Australia seems to be much better today.

AndreConrad
Jan 21st, 2009, 12:44 AM
Urszula & Agnieszka won 6:3 7:5... congratulations :yeah:

Agata.
Jan 21st, 2009, 12:46 AM
:yeah:

They had sth like 3MPs at 5:4 in 2nd set, but at least they won :yeah:

Pszczelny
Jan 21st, 2009, 01:54 PM
Congrats sisters :yeah:

This team has great potential. Maybe not now (don't know what is their motivation in this AO), but we can expect some great result from them in future.

AndreConrad
Jan 21st, 2009, 02:31 PM
Stosur/Stubbs are next in doubles. I follow doubles, but I am not as excited about it as about singles. I am curious how Agnieszka and Urszula feel about it.

Iceland
Jan 22nd, 2009, 07:41 AM
Well done :yeah: It would be great if Aga could leave Australia on a happy note, let's hope girls make a good match!

Agata.
Jan 22nd, 2009, 11:37 AM
Aga&Ula play tommorow on Margaret Court Arena, it means that there will be livestream for their match, doesn't it? :D

Matt.
Jan 22nd, 2009, 03:47 PM
Aga&Ula play tommorow on Margaret Court Arena, it means that there will be livestream for their match, doesn't it? :D

It is a televised court, so a live feed is a possibility.

SOA_MC
Jan 22nd, 2009, 06:47 PM
I think this site may have a feed for the match http://www.ura-mitrovica.ucoz.com/

Matt.
Jan 23rd, 2009, 12:18 AM
I think this site may have a feed for the match http://www.ura-mitrovica.ucoz.com/

It's working at the moment (Cilic vs. Ferrer) so hopefully it'll work later.

olivero
Jan 23rd, 2009, 06:09 AM
well sisters lost 1-6 4-6

Pszczelny
Jan 23rd, 2009, 07:41 AM
girls lack of Stosur/Stubbs' experience, they must avoid tactical mistakes and know all those doubles tricks ;)

anyway it was nice to see smiles on their faces in the end :)

Malva
Jan 23rd, 2009, 11:34 AM
well sisters lost 1-6 4-6

The end of Australian Season....

Matt.
Jan 23rd, 2009, 01:25 PM
And just to shed some light on Agnieszka's poor performance... it's not like all of the other seeds are doing fantastically either. Her ranking probably won't drop that much, although Vera seems to be doing well.

AndreConrad
Jan 23rd, 2009, 02:42 PM
Well, her performance was poor. If this is just blip in her career, it is not a big deal I am sure she will have other blips like any player. I hope next couple of tournaments are going to prove that to be the case.

Matt.
Jan 23rd, 2009, 05:46 PM
Well, her performance was poor. If this is just blip in her career, it is not a big deal I am sure she will have other blips like any player. I hope next couple of tournaments are going to prove that to be the case.

Correct. I was mainly pointing out that her ranking is not going to drop dramatically, even though she's losing QF points.

Next month should be very interesting, especially in Doha, where she reached the SF (and had a walkover of Ivanovic in the second round).

netimka
Jan 23rd, 2009, 06:19 PM
i also hope it was only one off and Aga is going to have a good season even with this unpleasant start... at least Aga is smiling again and papa Radwanski is talking with sis again as well... they coming back home now (probably on Sunday) then practise a little and go to Fed Cup and Aga to PAris and Ula to Pattaya...

Malva
Jan 24th, 2009, 08:54 AM
i also hope it was only one off and Aga is going to have a good season even with this unpleasant start... at least Aga is smiling again and papa Radwanski is talking with sis again as well... they coming back home now (probably on Sunday) then practise a little and go to Fed Cup and Aga to PAris and Ula to Pattaya...

I am really confused. From what I understood, Radwański didn't talk to journalists for three days — not his own daughters. That's a big difference.

netimka
Jan 24th, 2009, 10:05 AM
I am really confused. From what I understood, Radwański didn't talk to journalists for three days — not his own daughters. That's a big difference.

he didnt talk to them as well... didnt came to their first double match... he said he was very upset and didnt want to tell them something he will regret later...and was ungry cos sis play their 10% only...

there is lates interview with papa on gazeta.pl

http://www.sport.pl/tenis/1,96961,6197897,Radwanski__Nie_jestem_toksycznym_o jcem.html

maybe someone can translate later on as i will have to go soon... but in short he just confirm he will stay as their trainer and they wont be looking for anyone else to help them.... they trying to find a new sponsor but they wont go through any management agency... and that they coming back to Poland now and Aga is going to play fed cup and paris next... and Ula is going to Pattaya...

HTH

TeamUla
Jan 24th, 2009, 12:13 PM
He didn't talk to the girls either.:o

justine schnyder
Jan 24th, 2009, 07:00 PM
ouch

Matt.
Jan 25th, 2009, 03:44 AM
Here's a Youtube link of the sisters playing doubles against the Aussies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOlYKBHRMiQ