PDA

View Full Version : Hopman Cup - not as it used to be...

Karolina_Sprem
Jan 4th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Do you have feeling that Hopman Cup doesn't represent anymore as it used to...
I remember in 90's and the beginning of this decade that there were "fight" between players who is going to play for their team...
Hopman Cup used to be great test for players to see how they do, where their game is etc etc.
But when I look at this year names...no strong names as it used to be in the past...only team Russia with Marat & Dinara Safin(a)...
Oh, I missed the time when big names play in Hopman Cup such as Ivanisevic, Agassi, Federer, Davenport, Seles, Williams, Ferreira, Majoli, Moya, Sanchez Vicario, Coetzer....etc etc.

Do you have the same feeling?

anthonyqld
Jan 4th, 2009, 11:29 AM
I've never liked the Hopman Cup. I'm glad when top players play official tournaments rather than a meaningless exhibition in Perth.

Andy.
Jan 4th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Thats the way Im feeling about tennis in general these days. The quality and the stars are just not there ATM.

markhingis
Jan 4th, 2009, 11:41 AM
those days are gone...when Hingis and Federer were shining there :) good old times...

A'DAM
Jan 4th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Well it is a something like an exhibition tournament so...

Langers
Jan 4th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Thats the way Im feeling about tennis in general these days. The quality and the stars are just not there ATM.
You're obviously not into the ATP tour then...

Top 4 are amazing.

ChrisCologne
Jan 4th, 2009, 12:24 PM
I think the whole discussion is a bit far fetched. If you look at the development closely, there are a number of understandable reasons why things developed the way they came:

1)
Since the days the top ATP stars came to Perth, there werenīt any Arabian events with huge appearance payments like Dubai or Doha, and itīs the same with Hong Kong. There are a number of invitation-only events (this week one won by Murry with Federer and Nadal competing) and itīs only about the right preparation for each of the stars individually.

2)
The fact that we as fans would love to see the top pairings of each nation does not necessarily mean that players adjust their vacation programs for this chance of promoting tennis. I remember the Graf-Becker-fiasco the year they both played for Germany and Steffi arrived ill and they lost to Novacek/Sukova in a mixed fiasco hyped by German press for days. Steffi even did not play the AO that year and the whole marketing thing went downhill. If a team like Serbia does make it once, the reason for defending a title is there for fans, but not neccessarily for the players. If they want to rest for a top GS result, they choose to do it it. No matter what fans want.

3)
There is a diversity in tennis. Years ago, we had the top stars from 6-8 nations and all of those were named starting in Perth or expected to. Now that we have a diversity of 12-16 nations and even an event like the Asian Hopman Cup as an entry-competition there is no stardom but the diversity. Especially when it comes to this event, I believe that the tournament concentrates on rising stars like Lisicki or Cibulkova compared to huge stars to demonstrate a more mixed sort of field with interesting match-ups. They even allow Shaughnessy to enter a competition as world no. 836 for her calibre in the past. Itīs more a tournament of gestures to the past and future then to the expected nations if you just add the rankings of their top players and expect the elite to show up. You would also add a more diverse field to the likes of Hewitt if Hewitt is just coming back compared to let him play Federer or Djokovic. You even leave the draw as it is with Blake and Meghann if the whole world thinks that the groups are not diversed anymore and you do your country a favor.

A number of nations would love to see their top stars go fan-wise, but I like the idea that not automatically each time the same nations are asked or particular players refuse to go. I know that a number of times the German no1 male players refused to go and they searched for a partner for Graf and could not find a competitive one, so that might be the case for a number of other nations too.

I like the idea that Germany was asked this time even if Lisicki is unsure of doing particularly well or not, I like this atmosphere of her teaming Kiwi and looking so good at the ball, itīs a nice gesture of them teaming and starting the season in a fresh mood where Lisicki especially is under immense pressure of repeating or even improving her past yearīs result.

saniapower
Jan 4th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Last year Hopman cup was great. But 2007 it was an ordinary event. May be next year it will again attract some top players. But u see it's been very busy schedule these days for tennis players. How many events going on simultaneously with Hopman- Auckland, Brisbane, Doha, Chennai,Jb classic(HK)! We will soon need clones of top players to participate in more than 1 event:lol:

Fantastic
Jan 5th, 2009, 03:42 PM
I think the HC has done well to attract Safin, Hewitt, Blake and Safina this year. And Serena was also willing to play before being forced out by injury. That's a pretty good strike rate, considering that there are other tournaments to compete with.