PDA

View Full Version : Brisbane 1r: Tsvetana Pironkova def Monika Niculescu 6-7(2) 6-4 6-4 in 3hrs

Aaron.
Jan 4th, 2009, 08:15 AM
nice fight Tsveti

Dexter
Jan 4th, 2009, 08:16 AM
I can only imagine the tantrums Monica threw on the court in this match, wish I was there. :drool:

darkangel23
Tsveti :woohoo:

Monica :hug:

TennisPlayingFox
Way to go Tsveti! Great fight!

ghosts
Jan 4th, 2009, 08:17 AM
yay Tsveti :D good fight :yeah:
those games in the end were crazy

c'mon win your next match too :)

Keadz
Jan 4th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Monica pretty much had that match and lost it...disapointing. She does win these long ones very often.

Good job to Tsvetana!

Ivan.
Jan 4th, 2009, 08:19 AM
:woohoo:

Very hard match for both ... 3hrs and 226pts is just horrible . Good luck in next round :yeah:

Shvedbarilescu
Jan 4th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Monica pretty much had that match and lost it...disapointing. She does win these long ones very often.

She's actually lost way too many like this but Monica is getting better at winning in three it's true. Today just wasn't her day. :sad:

Still this was a big improvement on the last time they met when Tsveti won pretty easily. Monica is still improving.

Congrats Tsveti. Great win. Well done. :yeah:

Elwin.
Jan 4th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Monica :sad:

njnetswill
Jan 4th, 2009, 08:22 AM
What a battle. Pironkova and Sesil both won. But fellow Venus-win wonder Sprem lost. :sad:

Louis Cyphre
Jan 4th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Nice start of the year :yeah:

schorsch
Jan 4th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Today just wasn't her day. :sad:

how many times have i read that by now :confused::rolleyes:

anyhoo well done piro :devil:

Dave.
Jan 4th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Ahh I thought Monica would win this. :mad: Not the best start to 09 but she is always improving. I don't expect the best from her on this surface either.

Tsvetana :yeah: This should do wonders for her confidence.

Shvedbarilescu
Jan 4th, 2009, 09:28 AM
how many times have i read that by now :confused::rolleyes:

anyhoo well done piro :devil:

I recall you saying she would never make the top 100. In fact Monica has come from outside the top 200 to inside the top 50 in just 14 months. Not shabby at all. Yes she has lost a lot of close ones over the last year. But I would rather she was losing tightly contested close matches against good players than being blown away by them. Monica is improving all the time and she will continue to do so. Doesn't mean she will win every match though. :cool:

Sander.
Jan 4th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Monica:sad::hug:

ivanban
Jan 4th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Cvetana :hearts: :worship: Losing to Nicu is always tough to take

Nicu :drool: always nice to see her variety not producing results

schorsch
Jan 4th, 2009, 10:01 AM
I recall you saying she would never make the top 100. In fact Monica has come from outside the top 200 to inside the top 50 in just 14 months. Not shabby at all. Yes she has lost a lot of close ones over the last year. But I would rather she was losing tightly contested close matches against good players than being blown away by them. Monica is improving all the time and she will continue to do so. Doesn't mean she will win every match though. :cool:

hmm, i think i said she hardly ever beats anybody from the top100 and her ranking is made up mainly from challengers and beating players ranked somewhere in the three figures or even 4 ones range maybe? :spit: and yes, maybe every three months she beats a decent player who REALLY HAD A BAD DAY.

Epigone
Jan 4th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Paraphrasing Monica's comment to the chair umpire, after a let was called on a an ace(?) at *4-3 in the 3rd: Do you want me to lose? Stop doing that!

Tsveti won a few point thanks to lucky netcords in the 3rd set, which made Monica a bit :( :lol:

IMO, Monica was probably the better player, but she got really negative and kinda imploded towards the end of the match. She wasn't happy with some of the calls and refused to shake the umpire's hand after the match :devil:

petkoan
Jan 4th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Please anyone who saw the match: how was Pironkova playing ? Thanks :)

ivanban
Jan 4th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Paraphrasing Monica's comment to the chair umpire, after a let was called on an ace at *4-3 in the 3rd: Do you want me to lose? Stop doing that!

Tsveti won a few point thanks to lucky netcords in the 3rd set, which made Monica a bit :( :lol:

IMO, Monica was probably the better player, but she got really negative and kinda imploded towards the end of the match. She wasn't happy with some of the calls and refused to shake the umpire's hand after the match :devil:

It's always nice to start a year in positive spirit :angel:

FedererBulgaria
Jan 4th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Please anyone who saw the match: how was Pironkova playing ? Thanks :)

I watched Niculescu vs Pironkova. It was a really good match which basically consisted of Pironkova hitting hard and deep and Niculescu trying to break Pironkova's rhythym. Tsveti backhand was on fire today. She hit some fabulous winners off that side. The points were rather long and it was intense. Both girls were pumped up. Including their coaches. Was a fun game to watch.

:)

anthonyqld
Jan 4th, 2009, 10:56 AM
I watched the match from midway through the 2nd set. It was a good match, I thought Monica had it won.

Uranus
Jan 4th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Disappointing loss :(.

Shvedbarilescu
Jan 4th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Paraphrasing Monica's comment to the chair umpire, after a let was called on an ace at *4-3 in the 3rd: Do you want me to lose? Stop doing that!

I watched the match from midway through the 2nd set. It was a good match, I thought Monica had it won.

Thanks for the reports. :yeah:

Monica does need to work on the mental side of her game. She has to stay focused when it gets down to the nitty gritty of a match. It will happen.

Marionated
Jan 4th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Monica :sad:

Viktymise
Jan 4th, 2009, 11:12 AM
A victory for tennis. :yeah:

Shvedbarilescu
Jan 4th, 2009, 11:22 AM
hmm, i think i said she hardly ever beats anybody from the top100 and her ranking is made up mainly from challengers and beating players ranked somewhere in the three figures or even 4 ones range maybe? :spit: and yes, maybe every three months she beats a decent player who REALLY HAD A BAD DAY.

You can think whatever you want. Fact is you are wrong. Less than one third of her ranking points come from ITFs. As for not beating top 100 players, she beat 15 last year, which happens to be one more than Pironkova beat last year and roughly average for her ranking.

Boomguy
Jan 4th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Monica even got a raquet abuse warning. A quote on what she said today. "Do you want me to lose" she said that to the umpire after a good serve was called let.

Shvedbarilescu
Jan 4th, 2009, 11:37 AM
From all the reports it does sound like Monica got some bad breaks but she does need to learn to cope with adversity better because these sort of things happen in tennis. A dead let cord or a bad decision by an umpire can cost you a point. But when you let these things get to you it can end of costing 4 or 5 points or even a match. I've seen this happen to Monica before and I really hope this isn't something that is going to affect her whole career. She needs to work on staying mental focused and not have these mental breakdowns if she is going to forfil her potential.

FedererBulgaria
Jan 4th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Monica even got a raquet abuse warning. A quote on what she said today. "Do you want me to lose" she said that to the umpire after a good serve was called let.

:lol:

zveeen
Jan 4th, 2009, 12:53 PM
well done :yeah:

P_Fer
Jan 4th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Good fight Tsveti :yeah: