PDA

View Full Version : Sharapova shoulder problems caused by Joyce?

womensrights
Jan 4th, 2009, 06:23 AM
I was thinking the other day. When Mike Joyce stopped playing on the mens tour he coached Stevenson for a few months before she had shoulder surgery. Last december I watched Maria and him work out in Bradenton a few times.They would spend anywhere from 4 to 5 hours a day on the court .Morning 2 hours than afternoon 2 or 3. Besides the practice matches she was playing he would feed her tons of balls especially forehands over and over for an hour or so than do the same thing on her backhand. The poor girl was looking like she was dieing half the time. I have been around tennis a long time and was shocked how hard he worked her. Yuri was never present at any of the practices so he is not to blame. I'm not really blaming Joyce for her injury but maybe he is use to training like the men and the womens body can't hold up to what he was demanding of her. Now the flip side is she went on to win the australian open and started the year great, but where is she now.I think he has done a great job with Maria and i am a big fan of hers but if she doesn't come back I will always think that he broke her down. Any opinions on what i'm saying makes any sense?

pepaw
Jan 4th, 2009, 07:33 AM
for a poster with the name "womensrights", you hold some absurdly sexist views.

iGOAT
Jan 4th, 2009, 07:34 AM
I see your point but disagree

InsideOut.
Jan 4th, 2009, 07:38 AM
No. It's not JOYCE's fault, that is the Robert Lansdorp style. Joyce, Sharapova, Austin, Stevenson, Davenport, Rehe, Sampras - all those whose groundstrokes were honed by Lansdorp practised like that to get consistency.