PDA

View Full Version : Will the SF btw Jelena and Venus in Hong Kong. . .

vwfan
Jan 3rd, 2009, 07:32 PM
tell us anything about their chances at the Aus Open.

Uranium
Jan 3rd, 2009, 07:34 PM
No, Venus played well and won it last year and then went into the AO and played DREADFULLY.
Sharapova lost to Vee and won the AO.
Hong Kong is never an indicator, 2004-Venus won and lost early at AO.

Geisha
Jan 3rd, 2009, 07:35 PM
tell us anything about their chances at the Aus Open.

Not really. Unless one of them wins 6-1 6-1.

Venus beat Sharapova comfortably last year, then lost in the QF at Melbourne while Maria demolished everyone.

Optima
Jan 3rd, 2009, 07:37 PM
Nope.

vwfan
Jan 3rd, 2009, 07:41 PM
The match is more important for Venus than Jelena. Jelena has the mental advantage in their matchup.

If Venus wins, it will show that she is confident. And confidence is what she needs; her game is good enough.

AcesHigh
Jan 3rd, 2009, 07:43 PM
The match is more important for Venus. If she wins, it will show that she is confident. And confidence is what she needs; her game is good enough.

It didnt show she was confident last year.
The exhibition means nothing really.

Craig.
Jan 3rd, 2009, 07:46 PM
She beat Sharapova rather easily last year and seemed confident going into the AO. In Melbourne, she plays mediocre tennis for 5 matches resulting in a QF loss. :shrug: The thing is, with Venus, you can't REALLY know how it's going to go. She's THAT unpredictable. And she ends up playing pretty shitty tennis more often than not.

vml
Jan 3rd, 2009, 07:47 PM
i reckon uranium is so right, this tournament is definitely not an indicator but it's a pretty good preparation for AO

Volcana
Jan 3rd, 2009, 08:06 PM
It's practice! That's all. Often in exos, the players agree ahead of time who's going to 'win'.

Venus won the last time they played. JJ won the two times before that. The H2H is 5-4. This means absolutely nothing. In fact, if either of them has any new tricks, they certainly aren't going to show it in an exo against somebody they're likely to see in the second week of a slam.

RenaSlam.
Jan 3rd, 2009, 08:14 PM
It means the world.

Direwolf
Jan 3rd, 2009, 08:15 PM
Lol...

she was playing so good last year...
i mean...
she was moving well in Hong Kong
but when she went to Australia...
she kinda left her mobility in Hong Kong..!!!

Miss Amor
Jan 3rd, 2009, 08:18 PM
With Venus, you cannot even predict how she is going to play in the next set based on the performance of previous set, forget about predicting her form for the next tournaments

Direwolf
Jan 3rd, 2009, 08:34 PM
anyway...
why cant they change the draw now that
Sharapoo is gone??!!

i mean...
Jelena vs Venus would have been a great final

Shvedbarilescu
Jan 3rd, 2009, 08:40 PM
No. Whoever wins...it means nothing. Never try to draw a conclusion on a player's form based on a exhibition.

Direwolf
Jan 3rd, 2009, 08:45 PM
anyway...
why cant they change the draw now that
Sharapoo is gone??!!

i mean...
Jelena vs Venus would have been a great final

santhuruu
Jan 3rd, 2009, 11:40 PM
not at all, like many said Venus played well in Hong Kong, but at the Australian Open it was clear that she first of all had to adjust big time to the courts over there, and her game was really messed up in every match of her, there was not one match last year that she played in Melbourne that was a convincing to me! About Jankovic, well she is always ready to play good tennis, and I think it is clear that she is the nr. 1 favourite to win Melbourne!

SvetaKuzzy
Jan 3rd, 2009, 11:47 PM
am i the only one who thought that Venus really DIDN'T play well in Hong Kong (not by her standards anyway). Yes, movement was good but nothing else! Error-strewn match, nothing special. Obviously that meant sharapova was worse, and then she went and won the ao convincingly. its good to get some matchplay tho and a victory over jj is a mental boost. i wish her well 4 hk and the ao. however, it is serena's bi-annual obligation to win in melbourne. i'm all for kuzzy, followed by vee, but i think serena will take it.

The Dawntreader
Jan 3rd, 2009, 11:47 PM
No Hong Kong is never indicative of form going into the Aussie, especially for Venus. I mean she had great showings in HK in '04, '05 and '08 and lost early at the AO.

Exhibitions give the players time to work off some of the physical rust of playing a tennis match, but it doesnt boost their preperation going into a Slam. Only real matches can do that.

Amalgamate
Jan 3rd, 2009, 11:48 PM
I don't really think the outcome of this match will be an indicator for the AO. But whoever wins it should give them some confidence heading into the AO.

friendsita
Jan 4th, 2009, 09:22 AM
I think V has a great chance this year... and Serena too

V's a star
Jan 4th, 2009, 09:37 AM
No. Whoever wins...it means nothing. Never try to draw a conclusion on a player's form based on a exhibition.

I dnt get why so many people think this way. I wud agree if HK was jus one match but its set up like a tournament draw n has a final + ur still playing in front of 5000+ ppl ur gonna fight cuz u havent played at all. so basically all that is missing is raking points big fuckin whoooop. players arnt thinking about those 100 points wen playing a smaller tournament anyway.

With Venus 2004 it was the 1st matches she had played since wimbledon cant blame her for bombing out the AO, 2005 low confidence/changing her racket 1 week :help: b4 the AO was the problem. 2008??????? i think will always be a mystery to use. Clearly she was having leg problems but no info on wat it was. And apparently sum fight wit oracene and the family

Dave.
Jan 4th, 2009, 09:46 AM
Exhibitions count for nothing. No tournament pressure and no ranking points at stake, which are important to any dedicated player. They are not at all like WTA tourneys. So even if Venus plays bad here, I think her YEC form will still be more relavant for the AO.

2008 wasn't all that bad for Venus. It was her first AO QF since 2003. She could have easily lost to a lower ranked player like in 06, but it took a quality player to eventually beat her, in a bigger match not a 1R.

vwfan
Jan 4th, 2009, 04:12 PM
well, i don't want her to lose to JJ even in an exo. :lol:

but if she has to lose, better an exo and victory at the Aus Open should they meet.

SAEKeithSerena
Jan 4th, 2009, 04:31 PM
no. exos are not serious all the time. and serena IS the favorite going into the open. she's number 2 in the world, won the last slam, and has won the tournament 3 times. you can't doubt she's the favorite, right behind her being jelena and venus.

vwfan
Jan 4th, 2009, 05:26 PM
no. exos are not serious all the time. and serena IS the favorite going into the open. she's number 2 in the world, won the last slam, and has won the tournament 3 times. you can't doubt she's the favorite, right behind her being jelena and venus.I agree that Serena is the favorite with her record at the Aus Open. :worship:

But I also thought she was the favorite for the YEC.

I expect Venus to be favorite in their next matchup, only because I think Venus will want it more and should be confident given their last meeting. But Venus should hope that the matchup takes place in QF, because Serena will be too dangerous and confident once past the QF, imho.

starin
Jan 4th, 2009, 06:36 PM
She beat Sharapova rather easily last year and seemed confident going into the AO. In Melbourne, she plays mediocre tennis for 5 matches resulting in a QF loss. :shrug: The thing is, with Venus, you can't REALLY know how it's going to go. She's THAT unpredictable. And she ends up playing pretty shitty tennis more often than not.

spot on

BuTtErFrEnA
Jan 4th, 2009, 06:57 PM
I agree that Serena is the favorite with her record at the Aus Open. :worship:

But I also thought she was the favorite for the YEC.

I expect Venus to be favorite in their next matchup, only because I think Venus will want it more and should be confident given their last meeting. But Venus should hope that the matchup takes place in QF, because Serena will be too dangerous and confident once past the QF, imho.

isnt that what you said for the US Open as well...:rolls:

vwfan
Jan 4th, 2009, 10:58 PM
isnt that what you said for the US Open as well...:rolls:I don't think so.

vwfan
Jan 8th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Bump!

Like I said, I don't want Venus losing to JJ exo or not. Venus clearly felt the same way. LOL.

HRHoliviasmith
Jan 8th, 2009, 03:15 PM
no. jelena is better than this but i also hope venus does continue in this form.

and please stop trying to jinx serena!!! :(

vwfan
Jan 8th, 2009, 05:39 PM
no. jelena is better than this but i also hope venus does continue in this form.

and please stop trying to jinx serena!!! :(Well, if I hadn't put Serena in as an option, I can assure that there are few Serena fans that would have gone ballistic. . .
ignoring the three time champion, Serena wins every odd year, Serena is the favorite above all else, etc.

and to be honest, no other active player has her record at the Aus. that's just the truth--no jinx.