PDA

View Full Version : Venus has never played better than she is currently.

TSequoia01
Jan 2nd, 2009, 09:45 PM
Her serve has never been more in control. Venus has never been better at net or came to net as consistently. Her forehand is the best it has been period. True her backhand is not as good and maybe she has lost 1/2 a step. But her mental game is better. Venus despite some physical issues is playing the best tennis of her life.

OsloErik
Jan 2nd, 2009, 09:50 PM

Um...

She hasn't actually PLAYED in a while. I know she ended on a winning streak and is undoubtedly a chief favorite going into the Australian, BUT...it's hard to tell whether she'll build on the YEC win or not. While they aren't the same player by any stretch of the imagination, look what happened to Henin. She goes from not losing after Wimbledon to imploding against Sharapova (!!!) and plummeting toward retirement.

Cp6uja
Jan 2nd, 2009, 10:15 PM
2nd half of last season is for sure her best tennis since 2002, but between 2000-2002 she is more "complete" player which played without problems whole season and at all surfaces on same high level. In last 5 seasons she maybe not believe enough in her body or simple give-up of slow surfaces (clay and medium-fast HC) so she used 1st half of seasons just like warm-up for grass and USO hardcourts part of season. Actually she make little exception in 2008 playing well and seriously indoors and YEC. Maybe she will continue to playing her very best tennis in Melbourne, but i'm in doubt that she will take any risk between February and June, so i expect again from her to "tank" 1st half of season (except AO). It's strange, but biggest advantage which i notice in her game when compare with 2003-2007 period is actually her fitness! She again remind on her before-2003 phase, able to plays on same level back-to-back tournaments and stays at same level in 3rd set of long matches against TOP opponents.

Slutiana
Jan 2nd, 2009, 10:49 PM
Well lets see if she can keep it up, I was mostly impressed with her durability and her mentals side at the YEC, which has been letting her down constantly since 03. She needs to fix that backhand though, her forehand was the outstanding shot in the fall, suprisingly.

Uranium
Jan 2nd, 2009, 10:51 PM
Venus fever in GM lately:hearts:

SvetaKuzzy
Jan 2nd, 2009, 11:32 PM
Since 2002, I have only been able to watch Venus through the gaps in my fingers coz I never know whether that powerful, athletic attempt at a winner is actually gonna hit the court. But at the end of 2008, I removed the hands. Hope the break hasn't made her forget how to get that ball on the ground before it passes the baseline! She just needs some matchplay.

(I gave up on watching her in early rounds at wimbledon 06 and 07 coz everything was going long. Still, I like her 0 compromise - shows confidence. And it only took a few years for some consistency again :rolleyes:. But I have my fingers crossed for Vee for the Australian :D)

CJ07
Jan 2nd, 2009, 11:47 PM
2nd half of last season is for sure her best tennis since 2002, but between 2000-2002 she is more "complete" player which played without problems whole season and at all surfaces on same high level. In last 5 seasons she maybe not believe enough in her body or simple give-up of slow surfaces (clay and medium-fast HC) so she used 1st half of seasons just like warm-up for grass and USO hardcourts part of season. Actually she make little exception in 2008 playing well and seriously indoors and YEC. Maybe she will continue to playing her very best tennis in Melbourne, but i'm in doubt that she will take any risk between February and June, so i expect again from her to "tank" 1st half of season (except AO). It's strange, but biggest advantage which i notice in her game when compare with 2003-2007 period is actually her fitness! She again remind on her before-2003 phase, able to plays on same level back-to-back tournaments and stays at same level in 3rd set of long matches against TOP opponents.
Thats definitely not true. Yes, her results were better, but her overall game wasn't. She was still hitting 68 MPH second serves, double faulting 12 times in a match and missing every other shot.

She was just extremely confident.

Her serve I would say is the best it has been. She hasn't had a double fault spree in a little while, and her second serves have significantly more spin than they used to. Movement wise shes still quick, but not as quick as she used to be (which is to be expected). Net game is better, forehand - at least occasionally - has more spin on it and she hits through it rather than off the back foot. Her backhand isn't as solid as it once was, but its still a well hit shot.

CJ07
Jan 2nd, 2009, 11:48 PM
And I agree people are getting a little over excited. She could go back to playing piss poor again - there is no guarantee. Just like she can go from losing in the 3rd round of the French Open to winning Wimbledon 2 weeks later. She is very unpredictable.

supergrunt
Jan 2nd, 2009, 11:50 PM
I think she's more consistent than ever, but there is less power on her groundstrokes.

Volcana
Jan 2nd, 2009, 11:58 PM
Venus' BEST tennis, in the last half of 2008, is better than her BEST tennis has ever been. However she's less consistent than she was in 2000.

SvetaKuzzy
Jan 3rd, 2009, 12:13 AM
I think she's more consistent than ever, but there is less power on her groundstrokes.

Venus' BEST tennis, in the last half of 2008, is better than her BEST tennis has ever been. However she's less consistent than she was in 2000.

well that's settled then!

Direwolf
Jan 3rd, 2009, 12:22 AM
Her serve has never been more in control. Venus has never been better at net or came to net as consistently. Her forehand is the best it has been period. True her backhand is not as good and maybe she has lost 1/2 a step. But her mental game is better. Venus despite some physical issues is playing the best tennis of her life.

yes yes yes...
and i have to tell you...!!

I watched all her matches in YEC more than 3 times each..
except
vs Dementieva..
and it was very good...

but i think that
she was also good
on 2004 CLAY COURT RUN...

yes yes yes...
quite consistent i believe...
but notice... how she mixes her shots...
she goes into that
FranSchiavone-Zurich match
into hard hitting vs Serena..
where she just lovingly guide that forehand...
shes more finessy i should say..

And I agree people are getting a little over excited. She could go back to playing piss poor again - there is no guarantee. Just like she can go from losing in the 3rd round of the French Open to winning Wimbledon 2 weeks later. She is very unpredictable.

NO...
she only play poorly
is when she gets INJURED...
and that
INJURY+POOR PLAY=LOSS...

when shes healthy...
HEALTHY+POOR PLAY=Wins....
except against
those top players that she
has history with...

CJ07
Jan 3rd, 2009, 12:24 AM
There was nothing wrong with Venus at the beginning of the year last year and she played like crap. Venus was healthy for most of 2004 and she played like crap.

The nature of her play is very high risk and her opponents are often those with very low risk (i.e. Jankovic), so she is more vulnerable to loss than she was in the past.

Direwolf
Jan 3rd, 2009, 12:25 AM
but her movement and her forehand
have been pretty tamed so far...
and that second serve

Direwolf
Jan 3rd, 2009, 12:32 AM
There was nothing wrong with Venus at the beginning of the year last year and she played like crap. Venus was healthy for most of 2004 and she played like crap.

The nature of her play is very high risk and her opponents are often those with very low risk (i.e. Jankovic), so she is more vulnerable to loss than she was in the past.

healthy??

she was still COMING back from that
tummy injury...
at Tokyo [Pan Pacific] (withdrew prior to match w/right lower leg muscle strain, causing withdrawal from Antwerp as well)
twisted her ankle in Berlin...
(not and injury but)got cheated in Wimbledon...
wrist Injury again at Stanford

uhhmmm...
and compare that to 2008

Direwolf
Jan 3rd, 2009, 12:34 AM
healthy??

she was still COMING back from that
tummy injury...
at Tokyo [Pan Pacific] (withdrew prior to match w/right lower leg muscle strain, causing withdrawal from Antwerp as well)
twisted her ankle in Berlin...
(not and injury but)got cheated in Wimbledon...
wrist Injury again at Stanford

uhhmmm...
and compare that to 2008

2008 injury...
lol.. i didnt know that she withdrew that much this year..

withdrew from Amelia Island and Charleston w/illness, from Los Angeles and Montréal w/right knee injury and from Tokyo [Pan Pacific] w/right elbow injury.

frenchie
Jan 3rd, 2009, 12:43 AM
No she was better in 2000-2003!

she was faster, her BH was AMAZING and she was more confident

Tennisstar86
Jan 3rd, 2009, 02:45 AM
Thats why Venus is the player to watch in 2009....

Tennisstar86
Jan 3rd, 2009, 03:02 AM

Venus withdrew from the YEC last year from injury... she withdrew several times this year. clay tournaments etc... but im happy to see you know what injuries she has...

2004 she was coming back from 6 months off of a stomach injury......
She actually had a REALLY good clay court season. of the 3 tournaments she played (expect for Roland Garros) Venus won 2 and was in the final in the third where she withdrew....
thats 13-1 plus 2 fed cup appearences 15-1....
and no Id say there are more ball bashers these days than in 2000-2003. and Venus had more of those consistant players to worry about back then....

2004 wasnt great for Venus, but not completely aweful. she had some unlucky draws (US Open 4th round vs Davenport) yeah the start sucked, but she hadnt played since wimbledon the previous year...People talk about Marias gonna come out firing when she comes back. we'll see. I expect aweful results from her till at least Wimbledon.

RenaSlam.
Jan 3rd, 2009, 03:26 AM
Not true.

She seems very relaxed, calm, amd mentally she's in a good place right now so that will certainly translate into her tennis.

CJ07
Jan 3rd, 2009, 03:58 AM
While I understand the injury excuses, they're still just excuses. Plenty of players had loads of injuries, and still weren't relegated to the bottom of the Top 10. Lets be real here, Venus hasn't had a notable result outside of Wimbledon since 2003, with the exception of the Us Open in 2007 and the YEC.

I'm not saying that to be nasty, but the point is that during that 4 year stretch, she just played (relative) shit tennis. injuries were a factor, but its not like she was out 3, 4 months at a time consistently. She just couldn't get it together.

Therefore, I wouldn't get too hyped up about 1 good result. If she is performing at her 1999-2003 level consistently by Roland Garros, then yeah thats awesome and maybe shes back in business, but until that happens don't get too excited.

Just to preface, I'm not trying to discount Wimbledon, I'm just saying before you can talk return to Top 1 win all grand slams talk, you have to stop and be realistic relative to her non-Wimbledon achievements.

CJ07
Jan 3rd, 2009, 03:59 AM
And another thing:

<-----Huge Fan.

I'm just pragmatic.

azinna
Jan 3rd, 2009, 04:02 AM
Not sure this is true, but I will say that it's not easy saying which Venus is "peak Venus." But for the backhand, she's a better player. But the tour's better as well, particularly at absorbing power and making errors more costly. So she's nowhere near as dominant. That affects her confidence. Outside of grass, she's just not the mental player she was in the early 00's.

Still, if she can collect a couple of slams this year....

Tennisstar86
Jan 3rd, 2009, 04:11 AM
While I understand the injury excuses, they're still just excuses. Plenty of players had loads of injuries, and still weren't relegated to the bottom of the Top 10. Lets be real here, Venus hasn't had a notable result outside of Wimbledon since 2003, with the exception of the Us Open in 2007 and the YEC.

I'm not saying that to be nasty, but the point is that during that 4 year stretch, she just played (relative) shit tennis. injuries were a factor, but its not like she was out 3, 4 months at a time consistently. She just couldn't get it together.

Therefore, I wouldn't get too hyped up about 1 good result. If she is performing at her 1999-2003 level consistently by Roland Garros, then yeah thats awesome and maybe shes back in business, but until that happens don't get too excited.

Just to preface, I'm not trying to discount Wimbledon, I'm just saying before you can talk return to Top 1 win all grand slams talk, you have to stop and be realistic relative to her non-Wimbledon achievements.

LOL From July 2003 to January 2004 Venus did not play a match....Once she got the rust off she won 2 tournaments (on clay) and made the finals of the 3rd....
She lost against sprem (only bad lost after the spring)
Her other bad year on 2006... yeah she wasnt injured at all, thats why she only played 6 tournaments all year.... If you were actually a fan, maybe you would know what you were talkin about.

cailllou
Jan 3rd, 2009, 05:42 AM
LOL From July 2003 to January 2004 Venus did not play a match....Once she got the rust off she won 2 tournaments (on clay) and made the finals of the 3rd....
She lost against sprem (only bad lost after the spring)
Her other bad year on 2006... yeah she wasnt injured at all, thats why she only played 6 tournaments all year.... If you were actually a fan, maybe you would know what you were talkin about.

i think that CJ07 is a fan and has a few good points...he just doesn't want to talk the talk before venus walks the walk;) and he is right, she is playing a lot better since 2003 and we should all be excited but just keep it into proportion...
now to the thread, im not sure that she is better than 2000-2003 its hard to say...im just glad she is playing at a level comparable to those years! cause that is good news to us venus fans!

TSequoia01
Jan 3rd, 2009, 11:13 AM
No she was better in 2000-2003!

she was faster, her BH was AMAZING and she was more confident
Yes, she was faster and her backhand was better, but her serve was weak, way too many df's, and forehand was just awul. She did not attack the net and I question if she was as confident as she now is. Venus' overall game was just not as strong as it is now.

So Disrespectful
Jan 3rd, 2009, 11:41 AM
We don't know how Venus is currently playing. Her last match was nearly 2 months ago. The Australian summer always shows how hard the girls have worked during the off-season, so we'll find out in due time.

TSequoia01
Mar 1st, 2009, 04:52 AM
I did not want to say "I told ya so"...:p..but "I told ya so". Venus at her best has never played better.

In The Zone
Mar 1st, 2009, 05:11 AM
:worship: Great bump.

tennisbum79
Mar 1st, 2009, 05:19 AM
No doubt she perfomed at a very high level today.
She even looked her old self: not flustered, no change in her body language, alwasy moding forward.

Having said that.
He return game is still an area of concern to me as attested by the first 3 rounds. She did much better in the final.

But if the first 2 round she had tendency to just put the ball in play, even when she received very easy serve.

TSequoia01
Mar 1st, 2009, 05:37 AM
No doubt she perfomed at a very high level today.
She even looked her old self: not flustered, no change in her body language, alwasy moding forward.

Having said that.
He return game is still an area of concern to me as attested by the first 3 rounds. She did much better in the final.

But if the first 2 round she had tendency to just put the ball in play, even when she received very easy serve.

I read the post criticizing Venus' return of serve, her strategy of standing inside of the baseline a couple of steps hurts her at times but is intimidating. I believe she is in the top echelon of returners still.

Fabunny
Mar 1st, 2009, 05:42 AM
Except for the Australian Open which I attribute to the curse of the bright yellow dress, I am pretty happy with the way Venus has been playing since the US Open. She knows that she should have converted those break point opportunities and beaten Serena. Venus has been honing her game ever since and the results are evident.

Her confident swagger has returned. Venus means business - these ladies better watch out.:devil:
It is only a matter of time before the WTA rankings actually reflect what we already know. :bounce::bounce:

Andy.
Mar 1st, 2009, 06:10 AM
I definatly think so. Her forehand and Second serve are so much better than they were about 5 or 6 years ago. Her net play is so much better and her point construction and thought process out there is also better.

vwfan
Mar 2nd, 2009, 07:24 AM
not sure. hope so.

confidence goes a long way though and she should be feeling pretty confident now. if she can pull off another big win pre-Wimbledon and stay injury free, we're in for a treat for the second half of the year, where she naturally hits her stride.

this tournament though a strange scheduling choice should really give her a major confidence boost--sounds strange, I know. BUT grinding out three-set wins on the dirt when you are not playing your best and not on your best surface will do her a world of good when she is back in the situation later in the clay court season.

it's all good for now, BUT fans are always greedy: We want more!

AcesHigh
Mar 2nd, 2009, 12:45 PM
1997-2003 was still better. She was more confident and a bigger force. The tour is just worse now and she doesnt have to do as much. She dosent have to play Lindsay, Serena, Hingis, etc. every tournament.

Hopefully I'm wrong though and this is the year of Venus! :D

frenchie
Mar 2nd, 2009, 01:06 PM
I love Venus a lot but I still believe she was playing better between 2000 and 2003

She was faster and her BH was harder and more of a weapon

kiwifan
Mar 2nd, 2009, 01:23 PM
I politely disagree. :)

If she makes the final/wins the French Open, I'll change my mind accordingly. :devil:

Olórin
Mar 2nd, 2009, 01:53 PM
1997-2003 was still better. She was more confident and a bigger force. The tour is just worse now and she doesnt have to do as much. She dosent have to play Lindsay, Serena, Hingis, etc. every tournament.

I agree that in 2000 and 2001 Venus definitely played better, and for parts of 2002 also.
Her forehand is just as lethal and prone to errors as it was then. Her backhand was a super-weapon back then and she hit it so hard. Now it's a weapon (not a super-weapon) and she hits it hard (not...SO hard :eek: ).

Yes, she's truly awesome at the net, but that's partly a tactic she's devised because she isn't able to rally from the baseline with quite the same ferocity on a day to day level...she's lost half a step.

I don't think her ROS is as good. At the moment her serve is as good as it ever was.
Mentally I feel she's always been there since winning her first GS in 2000; only in 2004 did she seem to shy away.

That said, when Venus plays well these days, she's very close to playing career-peak tennis. Which can't really be said for anyone else. Hence Venus being the form player on tour right now and having won 20 of her last 21 matches. :D

InsideOut.
Mar 2nd, 2009, 03:42 PM
I don't think she is, but I hope she isn't peaking for Dubai and Acapulco only to let down at the Slams save Wimby again. That would be truly disappointing for her, being the most in-form player and all.

youizahoe
Mar 2nd, 2009, 04:05 PM
She has played like this before, she can always reach that level, but she can hardly maintain it long. That's really the problem with Venus, since like 2000. She can win big, but she can't keep up with it for too long. Lets hope we can see some Peak-Venus and Peak-Serena more often !

tennisIlove09
Mar 2nd, 2009, 05:13 PM
I think she's playing really great too, which is why I think all this talk of a Serena Grand Slam is so premature. Venus has proven that she can take out Serena, and the way she is playing I think Venus is more of a threat than Serena. Serena, other than two matches this year, has not been playing that well, IMO. :shrug:

tennisbum79
Mar 2nd, 2009, 05:29 PM
I need to see more, for now I'll take a wait-and-see attituew.
True, she played extremely well in the final, but let us not forget she struggled in the firts 3 rounds.

For now I look at the final as Venus having finally adjusted to the clay after the first difficult rounds.

The next few weeks will be a barometer of whether this is for real or still a scissor pattern of unpredictable highs and highs and lows

The Dawntreader
Mar 2nd, 2009, 05:52 PM
Tactically she's on another level than she was in her 'heyday'. I mean she didnt have to construct points with much methodical aptitude, because she would just blast winners all day long, because she was so CONFIDENT. That's the one area Venus probably isnt to the standard she was in 2000-03. However, that win over Serena at Wimby and strangely that win over Ivanovic at Zurich gave her such confidence and she has been playing at such a stable level mentally atm.

I dont agree with the OP about Venus losing 1/2 a step. If anything her footwork is better.

Miss Amor
Mar 2nd, 2009, 06:03 PM
You definately havent followed Venus if you believe this. She played much better in 2000-01 and her results prove it. She is playing good right now, but nothign as compared to her 2000-01 level.

In 2000 -

1) 35 match win streak
2) Won 6 titles in a row -

--> Wimbledon - She beat (1)Hingis, (8)Serena and (2)Davenport back to back, (beating 6 top 30 players)

-->Stanford- She beat 3 seeded players including (8)Kournikova,(1)Davenport

-->Sandiego- She bagelled Amanda Coetzer, Bagelled (5) Conchita Martinez, Bagelled (2)Monica Seles,

-->New Haven- Again she beat 4 top 30 players including crushing victories over Conchita and Seles ,

-->US Open- She beat (8)Tauziat, (1) Hingis and (2) Davenport back to back

-->Olympics gold - She beat (5) Aranthxa Sanchez Vicario, (3) Monica Seles and (10) Dementieva back to back

She also played a lot better in 2001, winning 6 of the 12 events she participated in.

Olórin
Mar 2nd, 2009, 06:15 PM
I think she's playing really great too, which is why I think all this talk of a Serena Grand Slam is so premature. Venus has proven that she can take out Serena, and the way she is playing I think Venus is more of a threat than Serena. Serena, other than two matches this year has not been playing that well, IMO. :shrug:

I suggest you start watching her matches more frequently then. :shrug:

Diesel
Mar 2nd, 2009, 06:22 PM
I think she's playing really great too, which is why I think all this talk of a Serena Grand Slam is so premature. Venus has proven that she can take out Serena, and the way she is playing I think Venus is more of a threat than Serena. Serena, other than two matches this year, has not been playing that well, IMO. :shrug:

Odd you would go this route. Actually the same route most Vee fans took pre-Australian Open where Serena wasn't given the respect to even be on the radar and here we go again. You'd think the premature talk of Vee from early this year would have toned down a bit considering she didn't deliver.

tennisIlove09
Mar 2nd, 2009, 06:31 PM
I suggest you start watching her matches more frequently then. :shrug:
I saw 2 of her Sydney matches this year; all of her OZ matches this, and her QF and SF of Dubai this year, so I have seen many of them.
The only two that were impressive were here AO F and Dubai QF against Ivanovic. She has been fighting well, but her serve and forehand have not been that great the rest of the time. Good enough to win, which is what matters ... but from a tennis stand point, I think Venus has been much more consistent and playing better tennis. She just failed to show up at the biggest event. That being said, the sisters match wasnt very pretty either.

tennisIlove09
Mar 2nd, 2009, 06:32 PM
Odd you would go this route. Actually the same route most Vee fans took pre-Australian Open where Serena wasn't given the respect to even be on the radar and here we go again. You'd think the premature talk of Vee from early this year would have toned down a bit considering she didn't deliver.
What premature talk? that she wanted to win the Australian? Everyone wants to win every Grand Slam they enter. Otherwise, why would they enter? :shrug:

The Daviator
Mar 2nd, 2009, 06:32 PM
I did not want to say "I told ya so"...:p..but "I told ya so". Venus at her best has never played better.

What happened at the AO?

People have such short-term memories around here, she wins Dubai and then a small clay-court event and she's playing better than ever?

Clearly you missed the summer of 2000 when JesusVee won 2 GS, the Olympics and bunch of other tournaments and beat the likes of Seles, Davenport, Hingis, and Serena to do so.

vwfan
Mar 2nd, 2009, 06:36 PM
Odd you would go this route. Actually the same route most Vee fans took pre-Australian Open where Serena wasn't given the respect to even be on the radar and here we go again. You'd think the premature talk of Vee from early this year would have toned down a bit considering she didn't deliver.You can't base Venus' results for the rest of the year on one match, considering the one match where she "didn't deliver" is the exception to the rule in her play for the past several months, where her results have been pretty consistent. She's 21-1 and won 4/5 of the last five events she's played. And it is a fact. No one else has posted similar results in the same timeframe.

Does this mean, she won't have mental lapses or unexpected losses? NO.

But I don't know how you can imply that one loss, even at a slam, is more defining than several months of play where she is winning.

And I don't know who disrespected Serena. But I recall several picking her for the title in Australiagiven her phenomenal history there, even after her straight sets loss to Dementieva in her only warm-up event.

It's all good. Folks can be excited about Venus, without it being disrespectful of Serena. But since Serena is the current #1 it is likely that people will compare any player's results to hers. Comes with the turf. People did it ad nauseum when JJ was #1, including a few Serena fans as I recall. ;)

Olórin
Mar 2nd, 2009, 06:40 PM
I saw 2 of her Sydney matches this year; all of her OZ matches this, and her QF and SF of Dubai this year, so I have seen many of them.
The only two that were impressive were here AO F and Dubai QF against Ivanovic. She has been fighting well, but her serve and forehand have not been that great the rest of the time. Good enough to win, which is what matters ... but from a tennis stand point, I think Venus has been much more consistent and playing better tennis. She just failed to show up at the biggest event. That being said, the sisters match wasnt very pretty either.

Outside of Oz you have seen a grand total of four matches, out of the 11 she's played I'd hardly call that a lot. Serena actually played her best tennis this year in Paris and I would say that she played very well overall in Dubai with just the odd blip set. It's all opinion and I'm not going to dispute yours; even though imo her forehand has been excellent all year, in fact she's been making more errors on the backhand, but there you go.

I think Venus has probably played consistently better overall this year as well; but it all remains to be seen, so Im just going to sit back and watch for the moment.

Cp6uja
Mar 2nd, 2009, 06:57 PM
Venus has perfect grass season in 2008, but that is nothing new from her. But two things is for sure about Venus in last couple months:

- She never before has such good last month of season (2nd half of october and 1st of november). Playing two events and winning both (including careers first YEC title) is for sure her careers best finish of some season.
- She never before has "perfect" february like this season (winning both events where participate).

So Venus has brilliant results in two parts of season where she always traditionally "sucks"...

If she achieve good red clay season results this time it will be very close to say that she played her best tennis - or at least she finally become to be "player to beat" (like Serena always bee) at every surface, not only at fastest (Grass or US Open hardcourts). That is difference and new moment. Her improvement at indoors and medium-HC is obvious, and her claycourt season start in Mexico was very promising.

vwfan
Mar 2nd, 2009, 07:04 PM
Venus has perfect grass season in 2008, but that is nothing new from her. But two things is for sure about Venus in last couple months:

- She never before has such good last month of season (2nd half of october and 1st of november). Playing two events and winning both (including careers first YEC title) is for sure her careers best finish of some season.
- She never before has "perfect" february like this season (winning both events where participate).

So Venus has brilliant results in two parts of season where she always traditionally "sucks"...

If she achieve good red clay season results this time it will be very close to say that she played her best tennis - or at least she finally become to be "player to beat" (like Serena always bee) at every surface, not only at fastest (Grass or US Open hardcourts). That is difference and new moment. Her improvement at indoors and medium-HC is obvious, and her claycourt season start in Mexico was very promising.Yes. I think you put your finger on the issue.

Venus is posting promising results where she has often under-performed: end of year and beginning of year. Four titles during her "worst" part of the season!

As you say, she is always in full flight on grass and a contender over the summer, but the end of the year and early part of the season, she is generally less consistent.

If she keeps posting good results through clay court season, she will have fully returned to an elite level of play that is a threat year round.

tennisbum79
Mar 2nd, 2009, 07:07 PM
While I understand the injury excuses, they're still just excuses. Plenty of players had loads of injuries, and still weren't relegated to the bottom of the Top 10. Lets be real here, Venus hasn't had a notable result outside of Wimbledon since 2003, with the exception of the Us Open in 2007 and the YEC..
This is a shoddy argument, disingenuous even.
Yes, while being hurt is not an excuse in tennis or any sports for that matter. It is fact that it impact results.

In other sports, they even have terms like injury list.
In team team sports such as football, american football, basketball , the coach decides to give limiation action to players coming from injury to ease them in flow of things.

Unfortunately, in tennis, for obvious reason, this cannot be done.

Hence, in dindivual sports, results for players returning from injuries are 100% affected by the players level of recovery. While team sports are affected, it is not at the same level of impact.