PDA

View Full Version : Mafia boss claims tennis matches fixed - newspaper article

bad_angel_109
Jan 2nd, 2009, 04:59 AM
I dunno if this has been posted here so apologies if it already has. I dunno whether to belive this article or not. Hmm. =/

Link (http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24863535-3162,00.html)

Keadz
Jan 2nd, 2009, 05:03 AM
I think it was mens tennis he was talking about, the wta players would never get involved in something like that :angel:

saniapower
Jan 2nd, 2009, 05:09 AM
Some "tennis matches fixed" - is true.

bad_angel_109
Jan 2nd, 2009, 05:09 AM
Ah ok. I wasn't sure. To tell u the truth I made this thread before I read the article lol. I haven't heard of any match fixing or the like in the WTA, only the ATP...

hellas719
Jan 2nd, 2009, 05:12 AM
Well, there were a lot of Italian players involved in the ATP betting scandal that got them fixed. I remember Di Mauro, Starace, Sanguinetti and I think there were other Italians but I can't remember their names. Maybe 1 or 2 more. However, there are other people that may do this like Nikolay Davydenko.

sunsfuns
Jan 2nd, 2009, 05:14 AM
ATP challenger level is the place where it's truly a problem. Money from gamblers could be large compared to the overall prize money and hence the temptation is significant. I've never heard about anyone betting on women's ITF's.

bad_angel_109
Jan 2nd, 2009, 05:24 AM
ATP challenger level is the place where it's truly a problem. Money from gamblers could be large compared to the overall prize money and hence the temptation is significant. I've never heard about anyone betting on women's ITF's.Really? The challenger level? I thought the senior (cant think of a beter word) ATP Tour would be more luring for gamblers, mafia and whatever else.

But I'm sure there's match fixing in at least one aspect of every sport.

Seyz
Jan 2nd, 2009, 05:46 AM
Sometimes I get the feeling that women are more hungry for prestige than the men. Some of the men seem content never to break it to the #1 spot and hence they wouldn't mind losing a match to make some money I think. Women? I couldn't imagine Serena or Capriati or JHH or Hingis willing to lose a big match. The prestige is more important.

#1SteffiGraf#1
Jan 2nd, 2009, 05:48 AM
challenger level? who the hell bets on challenger level matches?

It has to be Atp tour matches. And he is probably exhaggerating.

sunsfuns
Jan 2nd, 2009, 05:55 AM
Really? The challenger level? I thought the senior (cant think of a beter word) ATP Tour would be more luring for gamblers, mafia and whatever else.

Why would that be? A lot more money would be needed to bribe a top 20 player even if you could find one willing. In challengers even modest amounts of money with right people would be enough and it's just as easy to bet online on challengers as it is on ATP. Just read mtf and you will see that most rumours are about challengers and players who split their time between them and ATP tour (such as Di Mauro, Staraci etc.)...

sunsfuns
Jan 2nd, 2009, 05:58 AM
Sometimes I get the feeling that women are more hungry for prestige than the men. Some of the men seem content never to break it to the #1 spot and hence they wouldn't mind losing a match to make some money I think. Women? I couldn't imagine Serena or Capriati or JHH or Hingis willing to lose a big match. The prestige is more important.

Why the hell would you try to go after folks like that? It's about players like Pin, Vinci, Kleybanova, Niculescu etc (random examples)...

bad_angel_109
Jan 2nd, 2009, 07:04 AM
Why would that be? A lot more money would be needed to bribe a top 20 player even if you could find one willing. In challengers even modest amounts of money with right people would be enough and it's just as easy to bet online on challengers as it is on ATP. Just read mtf and you will see that most rumours are about challengers and players who split their time between them and ATP tour (such as Di Mauro, Staraci etc.)...I just thought the ATP opposed to the challenger level coz of the more high-profile and more publicized matches and what not. Especially with the Nikolai Davydenko assumption/accusation.

But I've just heard about Davydenko, not really anyone else.

jrm
Jan 2nd, 2009, 07:20 AM
Sport + Big Money Involved = Corruption, Fixing Of Matches, Bribary Etc ...

Cp6uja
Jan 2nd, 2009, 07:47 AM
No way that any of WTA girls is directly involved in match fixing!

Only exception is if her coach or manager is a MAN... :devil: :devil: :devil:

BUBI
Jan 2nd, 2009, 09:31 AM
I think it was mens tennis he was talking about, the wta players would never get involved in something like that :angel:
I think so too. This is a problem of ATP...

selesbooz
Jan 2nd, 2009, 02:30 PM
The Williams sister matches have been rigged for years. You know that Richard is shady and i am sure that he has been taken money on the side. How is he living? How can he afford a solid gold dancer like that if he is hardly at the matches. He only shows up when they play each other and always have a large entourage. :tape::devil:

miffedmax
Jan 2nd, 2009, 03:35 PM
What about Lena D? Nobody's serve could be that bad that long. I think the Russian mob has been holding her long-missing father as a hostage since 1999.