PDA

View Full Version : Will Venus win the US Open again?

Leo_DFP
Jan 2nd, 2009, 03:02 AM
Venus has only won two Opens, the last coming way back in 2001, but it has to be noted that she only loses to class players in Flushing. Just look at her record; it does all the talking:

1997: F (Hingis)
1998: SF (Davenport)
1999: SF (Hingis)
2000: W
2001: W
2002: F (Serena)
2003: DNP
2004: R16 (Davenport) --- unlucky draw that year
2005: QF (Clijsters)
2006: DNP
2007: SF (Henin)
2008: QF (Serena)

Thus, she has played 10 Opens in her career. In those 10 tries, she has won twice, made two more finals, and made three more semifinals. She has lost before the quarterfinals just once. She has lost to the eventual champion in 6 of her 8 losses there. Every player she has lost to is a Grand Slam champion and former world #1.

To me, it seems like destiny. She has to hold that USO trophy above her head at least one more time in her career. If not, it's a big disappointment. She's been unlucky in many of her losses but simply hasn't played the big points as well as necessary - I'm thinking especially about her QF this year against Serena and her QF in 2005 against Clijsters. But one day it will all click for her again, I believe.

RenaSlam.
Jan 2nd, 2009, 03:03 AM
I think she can do it again. Time will tell.

vwfan
Jan 2nd, 2009, 03:05 AM
yes. perhaps in 2009!

mckyle.
Jan 2nd, 2009, 03:09 AM
I think there's a good chance. The unfortunate thing is that she always plays the in-form player and always gives them their toughest match.

Jizynovic
Jan 2nd, 2009, 03:15 AM
im the only one who vote for no so far

ooopps...i think she just got bad luck when she play in usopen

kwilliams
Jan 2nd, 2009, 05:51 AM
She should be able to do it again, she plays so well there!

venus_rulez
Jan 2nd, 2009, 06:19 AM
Yeah I think she'll get another one. Has she played a normal hardcourt season though since 2003? I think there's always been something that's stopped her from performing normally. 2004 was an injury, 2005 she was sick, 06 couldn't play at all, 07 i think she played fed cup and one event where she lost to anna, and then last year everyone was thrown off with olympics. Maybe it's why she hasn't been able to maintain a high high level to win it again.

Leo_DFP
Jan 2nd, 2009, 03:25 PM
bump.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Jan 2nd, 2009, 03:32 PM
She has never lost to a player outside the top 4 at the USO, and she has always done great at the USO, she has a great chance to take that extra step once again, if she is fit and motivated.

Uranium
Jan 2nd, 2009, 04:03 PM
She always loses to the player in the best form that summer and has lost to the eventual champ every year except 1999 and 2004. I think she has a great shot of winning it again.
As for the people saying no:weirdo:

Dave.
Jan 2nd, 2009, 04:05 PM
There is nothing 'only' about winning it 2 times.

Despite not winning it, Venus has one of the better USO records from 2002-2008. And overall has one of the best records from active players. She always seems to find form there but in recent years has just run into better players. As long as she is healthy and keeps playing well in NY she will always be in with a chance.

Ciarán
Jan 2nd, 2009, 04:22 PM
She could. But she won't

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 2nd, 2009, 04:25 PM
Can she? Yeah. She's got a great record there and her game is really effective on fast surfaces.

Will she? If she plays like she did at the YEC, and can maintain that for 2 more matches (which we will never know).

She hasn't been to the finals of a HC major since the 2003 Aussie Open, and for someone who's game is so effective on a surface like hardcourts, it's a little curious that she hasn't been able to put together at least 6 wins at a HC major in 5 years.

What does Venus need to do to get back to the finals of (and eventually win) the US Open? No one knows like she does, but in some of those matches that she lost, she either lead, or had chances and didn't take them. She's got to get better at closing out matches. On grass she has a RIDICULOUS advantage over everyone else (except Serena, and to a lesser extent, Maria) because she's so comfortable on the surface, but on hard, it's a neutral surface, so her advantage is in name and pedigree only.

It's ridiculous to say that a player like Venus Williams won't win another US Open, but if she does, it won't be as easy as it was when she won her 2000-2001 titles.

Vlover
Jan 2nd, 2009, 04:30 PM
If she remains healthy, there is no doubt in my mind.

new-york
Jan 2nd, 2009, 05:29 PM
I think there's a good chance. The unfortunate thing is that she always plays the in-form player and always gives them their toughest match.

exactly.:(

Slutiana
Jan 2nd, 2009, 05:31 PM
Yes.

jonny84
Jan 2nd, 2009, 06:15 PM
I think she can do it for sure. She is still a top player and can beat the other top players.

sweetpeas
Jan 2nd, 2009, 06:15 PM
If she remains healthy, there is no doubt in my mind

So true...I agree.

Matt01
Jan 2nd, 2009, 06:28 PM
She always loses to the player in the best form that summer and has lost to the eventual champ every year except 1999 and 2004. I think she has a great shot of winning it again.
As for the people saying no:weirdo:

:rolleyes:

I'm so tired of the excuses. In my opinion Venus will never win another Slam title outside of Wimbledon again. She hasn't done it the last 7 years so why should she suddenly in 2009 or 2010 as she is getting older and older? :wavey:

Cp6uja
Jan 2nd, 2009, 06:39 PM
USO hardcourts is her best surface after grass, but still i give her less chances than 30%...

US Open traditionally has youngest WTA champions (in average) and since 1997 all champions before Serena/08 is UNDER-25! Actually Martina Navratilova is only Open Era USO winner at 28+ (even Graf or Evert don't do that) so if i must bet i don't think that Venus will be next exceptions of this rule. She have nice chance this season, but choke at several set points against younger sister.

Aaron.
Jan 2nd, 2009, 06:45 PM

I'm so tired of the excuses. In my opinion Venus will never win another Slam title outside of Wimbledon again. She hasn't done it the last 7 years so why should she suddenly in 2009 or 2010 as she is getting older and older? :wavey: Im fine with Venus winning 3 more wimbledons a GS is a GS.

stop trying to put Venus down and she is always one of the favorites at the US Open

Direwolf
Jan 2nd, 2009, 06:48 PM
duh... 5 USO more

new-york
Jan 2nd, 2009, 06:49 PM

I'm so tired of the excuses. In my opinion Venus will never win another Slam title outside of Wimbledon again. She hasn't done it the last 7 years so why should she suddenly in 2009 or 2010 as she is getting older and older? :wavey:

he stated a fact.

Matt01
Jan 2nd, 2009, 06:56 PM
he stated a fact.

Saying that "She always loses to the player in the best form that summer" is an opinion, not a fact.

Uranium
Jan 2nd, 2009, 07:13 PM
Saying that "She always loses to the player in the best form that summer" is an opinion, not a fact.

1997- Hingis won Stanford and San Diego, and won USO.
1998- Davenport won Stanford, San Diego and LA, and won the USO
1999- Hingis won San Diego and Toronto
2000-Won
2001-Won
2002- Serena was coming in with 2/3 slams and then won USO
2004- Davenport won Stanford, Los Angeles, San Diego, and Cincinnati
2005- Kim won Stanford, Los Angeles, and Toronto, went on to win the USO
2007- Henin won Toronto, went on to win the USO
2008- Serena won the USO:p

Couple of flaws in my comment, but pretty accurate.

Spartan
Jan 2nd, 2009, 07:13 PM
Well, she's definitely capable of it. Whether she will or not we'll just have to wait and see. I'd love to see her win it once more though, she always plays well there.

Leo_DFP
Jan 2nd, 2009, 07:21 PM

Ummm, you can't count it out considering one big fact: she just won the YEC for the first time in her career. 5 straight matches on a hard court against top ten players. "Old" Venus is still a force to be reckoned with.

serenafann
Jan 3rd, 2009, 02:29 AM
If she continues to play like she has lately,I would say yes.

Tennisstar86
Jan 3rd, 2009, 02:41 AM
USO hardcourts is her best surface after grass, but still i give her less chances than 30%...

US Open traditionally has youngest WTA champions (in average) and since 1997 all champions before Serena/08 is UNDER-25! Actually Martina Navratilova is only Open Era USO winner at 28+ (even Graf or Evert don't do that) so if i must bet i don't think that Venus will be next exceptions of this rule. She have nice chance this season, but choke at several set points against younger sister.

And before Venus noone ranked 31 had won Wimbledon. no african american had won 5 wimbledon titles. I doubt her age will play a factor... I remember before Pete won his last Grand slam people said (1 year before in fact) there was no way Pete would ever win the Us Open because he was two old and the final was played the night before the semis. Look what happened.

It'll be interesting to see if Matt is around when Venus wins the AO this year...

Amalgamate
Jan 3rd, 2009, 03:22 AM
Hopefully yes :rocker2:

cailllou
Jan 3rd, 2009, 04:34 AM

i bet you truly dont believe what you just said. but even if you do (god help you) you will be eating your words soon enough. no point in arguing with you. cause everyone against you is right. THATS A FACT

cailllou
Jan 3rd, 2009, 04:35 AM
and yes i believe venus has a very good shot at winning the usopen again. even non-venus fans know this and admit to this very real possibility

AcesHigh
Jan 3rd, 2009, 05:48 AM
:smash: She should have won USO 2008 (and don't give me this bullsh!t that Serena should have won Wimbledon).

10 f*cking set points is godawful. The difference is confidence. She SHOULD have won in 2005 and 2008. In 2002, Serena was just way too good and 2007, I just think Henin would have found a way to win no matter what.

Venus will win again. I truly believe she's evenly matched against Serena on that surface(Serena would win at AO or RG), and no one else is in her league IMO when she's playing her best in Arthur Ashe stadium. So all she needs to do is regain her confidence. Hopefully by August 2008, she'll have a slam already... or a few titles and she'll be ready to win a slam outside of Wimby.

AnomyBC
Jan 3rd, 2009, 06:45 AM
I voted no. It's definitely possible, but her window is closing very quickly. That is a very impressive list of players she lost to though.

PS - It is true that she should have won in 2008. She definitely choked in that Final against Serena.

Matt01
Jan 3rd, 2009, 11:26 AM
It'll be interesting to see if Matt is around when Venus wins the AO this year...

Venus' chances to finally win an AO or RG title are close to zero :lol: :wavey:

Anyway, I will be the first poster to give Venus credit if she really does it...

bandabou
Jan 3rd, 2009, 01:59 PM
:smash: She should have won USO 2008 (and don't give me this bullsh!t that Serena should have won Wimbledon).

10 f*cking set points is godawful. The difference is confidence. She SHOULD have won in 2005 and 2008. In 2002, Serena was just way too good and 2007, I just think Henin would have found a way to win no matter what.

Venus will win again. I truly believe she's evenly matched against Serena on that surface(Serena would win at AO or RG), and no one else is in her league IMO when she's playing her best in Arthur Ashe stadium. So all she needs to do is regain her confidence. Hopefully by August 2008, she'll have a slam already... or a few titles and she'll be ready to win a slam outside of Wimby.

Venus SHOULD have won USO 2008, but it's bullshit to say that Serena should have won Wimbledon?! :confused:

terjw
Jan 3rd, 2009, 02:01 PM

Anyway, I will be the first poster to give Venus credit if she really does it...

I agree her chances of the RG title are slim - but I wouldn't say that for the AO. She's actually the 2nd favourite behind Serena in the bookies odds.

Venus has had a habit of playing poorly pre-Wimbledon. But unlike playing on clay - there is no real reason that this should always be the case. After all - just looking at her record at the YEC - you might have said her chances there last year were almost zero.

I think the AO is the most difficult to predict because no-one really knows where all the top contenders are right now. The five players with the shortest odds at the moment are last year's slam winners and the current #1 - SW, VW, JJ, MS, AI.

terjw
Jan 3rd, 2009, 02:06 PM
I voted no. It's definitely possible, but her window is closing very quickly. That is a very impressive list of players she lost to though.

PS - It is true that she should have won in 2008. She definitely choked in that Final against Serena.

:confused: Ermm what final. She didn't make the USO final.

Mashafaaaaan
Jan 3rd, 2009, 02:28 PM

Shoula, coulda, woulda:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o

cailllou
Jan 3rd, 2009, 02:51 PM
Shoula, coulda, woulda:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o

you forgot will;)

Cp6uja
Jan 3rd, 2009, 02:59 PM

And before Venus noone ranked 31 had won Wimbledon. no african american had won 5 wimbledon titles. I doubt her age will play a factor... I remember before Pete won his last Grand slam people said (1 year before in fact) there was no way Pete would ever win the Us Open because he was two old and the final was played the night before the semis. Look what happened.

It'll be interesting to see if Matt is around when Venus wins the AO this year...You obviously have problem to realize difference between "relative" facts like players WTA Rankings for some week and "absolute" facts like players Ages in that week. Poor rankings and seed status which for example Justine have at RG/05, Serena at AO/07 or Venus at Wimbledon/07 before winning titles is very connected with injury problems and missed tournaments which they have in previous 12 months, and number of ages which have every WTA player when played at US Open or any other tournament is absolute category without exceptions or influence of some factors after day of birth. At US Open 2009 Venus will be already 29yo and since 2010 she will be 30+, which is according to previous winners list bigger problem than at any other slam. Like i already notice - in Open Era so far only Navratilova reach USO title after 27 (at late 27 last season, Serena is 2nd oldest USO winner ever in Open Era).

Leo_DFP
Jan 3rd, 2009, 04:44 PM
You obviously have problem to realize difference between "relative" facts like players WTA Rankings for some week and "absolute" facts like players Ages in that week. Poor rankings and seed status which for example Justine have at RG/05, Serena at AO/07 or Venus at Wimbledon/07 before winning titles is very connected with injury problems and missed tournaments which they have in previous 12 months, and number of ages which have every WTA player when played at US Open or any other tournament is absolute category without exceptions or influence of some factors after day of birth. At US Open 2009 Venus will be already 29yo and since 2010 she will be 30+, which is according to previous winners list bigger problem than at any other slam. Like i already notice - in Open Era so far only Navratilova reach USO title after 27 (at late 27 last season, Serena is 2nd oldest USO winner ever in Open Era).

Venus has broken many patterns, set many records. The rules don't apply to her.

Additionally, she's so much more of an athlete than most 28+ year old tennis players in history!

markdelaney
Jan 3rd, 2009, 05:01 PM
I remember watching her defeat to Clijsters in 2005 and she seemed to be on the verge of winning it before losing it.
I don't expect her to win it again, simply because she seems to peak for Wimbledon but like the OP says it seems to always take a top player to beat her at Flushing Meadows

Uranium
Jan 3rd, 2009, 05:04 PM

She has a great chance to win an AO, as for RG her chances are very slim nowadays:(
Sure....:lol:

Cp6uja
Jan 3rd, 2009, 05:19 PM
Venus has broken many patterns, set many records. The rules don't apply to her.

Additionally, she's so much more of an athlete than most 28+ year old tennis players in history!
I not say that she dont have chances to win again US Open - only that her chances is not so good like seems from this poll results or other public expectations.

Evert won USO 6 titles, Graf 5 titles - but both never after 27... so why you think that Venus (not reach USO final since 2002 when she is 22yo) chances to win some title again in New York at 29 or after 30 is so good? I not be surprised if at end we will realize that 2008 is her last golden USO opportunity.

Uranium
Jan 3rd, 2009, 05:22 PM
I not say that she dont have chances to win again US Open - only that her chances is not so good like seems from this poll results or other public expectations.

Evert won USO 6 titles, Graf 5 titles - but both never after 27... so why you think that Venus (not reach USO final since 2002 when she is 22yo) chances to win some title again in New York at 29 or after 30 is so good? I not be surprised if at end we will realize that 2008 is her last golden USO opportunity.

Isn't it you who always complains about TennisForum polls being biased with hate?:o Or does that only apply for Ana polls?
Venus is different from Evert and Graf, just because they couldn't do it doesn't mean she or anyone else for that matter can't win it.:p

Cp6uja
Jan 3rd, 2009, 05:29 PM
Isn't it you who always complains about TennisForum polls being biased with hate?:o Or does that only apply for Ana polls?
Venus is different from Evert and Graf, just because they couldn't do it doesn't mean she or anyone else for that matter can't win it.:pThis poll dont have anything with "haters" or "lovers"... simple my personal opinion is that Venus chances to win at US Open again in future is overrated and i notice her "age problem" like major in this case.

AcesHigh
Jan 3rd, 2009, 05:40 PM
Venus SHOULD have won USO 2008, but it's bullshit to say that Serena should have won Wimbledon?! :confused:

Why should Serena have won Wimbledon? It's pure speculation and since Venus has shown herself to be the best grasscourt player of this generation, it's hard to see how Serena "should have" won Wimbledon.

However, if you have set points in both sets..some of them while serving, there's no excuse for losing a match. I'd say the same thing if Serena were in Venus's place.

AcesHigh
Jan 3rd, 2009, 05:42 PM
This poll dont have anything with "haters" or "lovers"... simple my personal opinion is that Venus chances to win at US Open again in future is overrated and i notice her "age problem" like major in this case.

Does she have an age problem? Where are you getting this from. If Venus is playing her best tennis in YEARS at the age of 28, what makes you think she's going downhill from here? If anything, she's been getting better.

You can't use the history of other players for Venus and Serena b/c they are unique.

Uranium
Jan 3rd, 2009, 05:44 PM
This poll dont have anything with "haters" or "lovers"... simple my personal opinion is that Venus chances to win at US Open again in future is overrated and i notice her "age problem" like major in this case.

So if I open a will Ana win another RG thread, you won't be singing a different tune?....:tape:
Age is no problem for her apparently since she won YEC for the first time at 28.

Tennisstar86
Jan 3rd, 2009, 05:48 PM
Cp6uja, why did you ignore the fact that Everyone said Pete was too Old to win the Us open again and he ended up ending his career on it?

just curious...

BuTtErFrEnA
Jan 3rd, 2009, 07:09 PM

of course...venus was also not at her peak in 02-03, and venus loves serena too much and it affects her when she plays, so all those losses to serena don't count either...but whenever venus wins the world is in order :rolleyes:

anyways...venus can win it again...but i doubt she will unless she plays peak tennis and is combined with maria and serena way off their games...and since i don't see that happening i see serena or maria beating her there :shrug:

BuTtErFrEnA
Jan 3rd, 2009, 07:20 PM
Why should Serena have won Wimbledon? It's pure speculation and since Venus has shown herself to be the best grasscourt player of this generation, it's hard to see how Serena "should have" won Wimbledon.

However, if you have set points in both sets..some of them while serving, there's no excuse for losing a match. I'd say the same thing if Serena were in Venus's place.

1. you want to say venus choked but apparently serena didn't choke, venus was just soo good :weirdo:

2. if such is the case why not agree with matt01 then and say that venus hasn't won a major outside of wimbledon since 01 and therefore she can't...i mean the fact that she can choke 10 sps to serena who was obviously proven as far inferior at wimbledon a few weeks ago must be proof that venus can't win outside of grass...

AcesHigh
Jan 3rd, 2009, 07:40 PM
1. you want to say venus choked but apparently serena didn't choke, venus was just soo good :weirdo:

2. if such is the case why not agree with matt01 then and say that venus hasn't won a major outside of wimbledon since 01 and therefore she can't...i mean the fact that she can choke 10 sps to serena who was obviously proven as far inferior at wimbledon a few weeks ago must be proof that venus can't win outside of grass...

Serena was never in a position to win either set. Being a break up.. or having break points is not the same as having 10 set points.. some of those set points being on one's own serve. Set points in both sets. Some of those set points which could have been won on easy putaway shots.

Really... it's not that complicated.

AnnaK_4ever
Jan 3rd, 2009, 08:07 PM
Cp6uja, why did you ignore the fact that Everyone said Pete was too Old to win the Us open again and he ended up ending his career on it?

just curious...

I'm gonna reply for our Serbian friend.
Pete, for instance, won USO in 1999, reached final in 2000, reached final again in 2001 before winning his last USO in 2002.
Venus hasn't reached finals at Flushing Meadows for 6 years. Not quite the same.

USO-2009 will be Venus' last realistical chance, imo, as she's not getting healthier.

AcesHigh
Jan 3rd, 2009, 08:24 PM
Pete, for instance, won USO in 1999, reached final in 2000, reached final again in 2001 before winning his last USO in 2002.
Venus hasn't reached finals at Flushing Meadows for 6 years. Not quite the same.

USO-2009 will be Venus' last realistical chance, imo, as she's not getting healthier.

Have we really seen a decline in the last 5 years physically? I dont get where people are getting this from. If anything, Venus looked healthier at YEC than she has in 5-6 years.

MrSerenaWilliams
Jan 3rd, 2009, 08:35 PM
We will never know what would have happened if Venus won any of those set points. If she won the first 1st/2nd set, there's no way to tell if Serena/Venus would have played the same way in the 2nd/3rd sets.

Similarly, if Serena more of those bps, there's no way to tell if she would have continued to steamroll after 4-1 in the first, or if it would have still been an straight set win for Venus.

All we know is that Venus won Wimbledon and Serena won the US Open, but with both of those matches, it COULD have gone either way.

Serena CAN win Wimbledon (facing Venus) and Venus CAN win the US Open (facing Serena). They've done it before, and I'm sure they CAN do it again.

....will?

now that's a different matter entirely.

AnnaK_4ever
Jan 3rd, 2009, 08:38 PM
Have we really seen a decline in the last 5 years physically? I dont get where people are getting this from. If anything, Venus looked healthier at YEC than she has in 5-6 years.

I'm not talking about overall fitness though it was clearly an issue for Venus during USO 2005 and 2007. I'm talking about staying injury-free. Hardcourts are much more dangerous for joints than grass courts.

The Dawntreader
Jan 3rd, 2009, 08:40 PM
I'm not talking about overall fitness though it was clearly an issue for Venus during USO 2005 and 2007. I'm talking about staying injury-free. Hardcourts are much more dangerous for joints than grass courts.

That's an issue for the majority of the top 10 these days, especially those in contention for Slams.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jan 3rd, 2009, 08:41 PM
Serena was never in a position to win either set. Being a break up.. or having break points is not the same as having 10 set points.. some of those set points being on one's own serve. Set points in both sets. Some of those set points which could have been won on easy putaway shots.

Really... it's not that complicated.

Kim should have won AO 03, Maria should have won AO 05, Lindsay should have won AO 05, Kim should have won RG 01...need i continue with the amount of people who have lost while having sps or being up in a match and lost, yet you claim venus is the only won who seemingly choked her chances :rolleyes:

AnnaK_4ever
Jan 3rd, 2009, 08:47 PM
That's an issue for the majority of the top 10 these days, especially those in contention for Slams.

Jankovic, Safina, Dementieva, Ivanovic, Radwanska ?

The Dawntreader
Jan 3rd, 2009, 08:53 PM
Jankovic, Safina, Dementieva, Ivanovic, Radwanska ?

Well havent both Jankovic and Ivanovic had injury issues this year?

AnnaK_4ever
Jan 3rd, 2009, 08:56 PM
Well havent both Jankovic and Ivanovic had injury issues this year?

You must be kidding
1) to mention Jankovic who's always dying;
2) to compare Ivanovic's injuried thumb to all injuries and illnesses Venus has gone through.

Direwolf
Jan 3rd, 2009, 08:58 PM

wuts the fuss when VEnus loses to the eventual
champion each time

and she takes the most number of games from them
each time...

recently i mean...

The Dawntreader
Jan 3rd, 2009, 08:59 PM
You must be kidding
1) to mention Jankovic who's always dying;
2) to compare Ivanovic's "afwul" thumb injury to all injuries and illness Venus has gone through.

Of course, i'm not saying those two have had the same injury hells as Venus:lol:

I mean if anything Serena's body is the most precarious of all in the top 10. Remember she had surgery and that knee is still risky, even now. I wouldnt say Venus is the exception in the top 10.

hingis-seles
Jan 3rd, 2009, 09:07 PM

Andre won the US Open in 1999. Pete last won the US Open in 1996 before his multiple finals in '00 and '01 and the championship in '02.

markdelaney
Jan 3rd, 2009, 09:09 PM
I have to say I think but for Serena, Venus would have won it in 2008.

AnnaK_4ever
Jan 3rd, 2009, 09:11 PM
Andre won the US Open in 1999. Pete last won the US Open in 1996 before his multiple finals in '00 and '01 and the championship in '02.

Yes, sorry!
Pete had to miss USO-99 due to back injury. It doesn't change much though.

vwfan
Jan 3rd, 2009, 09:28 PM
You obviously have problem to realize difference between "relative" facts like players WTA Rankings for some week and "absolute" facts like players Ages in that week. Poor rankings and seed status which for example Justine have at RG/05, Serena at AO/07 or Venus at Wimbledon/07 before winning titles is very connected with injury problems and missed tournaments which they have in previous 12 months, and number of ages which have every WTA player when played at US Open or any other tournament is absolute category without exceptions or influence of some factors after day of birth. At US Open 2009 Venus will be already 29yo and since 2010 she will be 30+, which is according to previous winners list bigger problem than at any other slam. Like i already notice - in Open Era so far only Navratilova reach USO title after 27 (at late 27 last season, Serena is 2nd oldest USO winner ever in Open Era).so Serena did it at 27 and that was unusual and Venus almost beat her and came closer than all the other younguns in contention, so your point is made more difficult by this fact.

jjcrew#1
Jan 3rd, 2009, 09:37 PM
No Way!

AcesHigh
Jan 3rd, 2009, 10:16 PM
Kim should have won AO 03, Maria should have won AO 05, Lindsay should have won AO 05, Kim should have won RG 01...need i continue with the amount of people who have lost while having sps or being up in a match and lost, yet you claim venus is the only won who seemingly choked her chances :rolleyes:

Kim and Maria should have won those matches... although Serena fought her way through both, they did choke terribly. Lindsay is a different story as is Kim in 2001.

Only some Serena fans seem to be deluded enough to not see that Venus choked that match away. If Serena had hit some miraculous winners on all the set points, that would be different. However, some of those points were easy putaways..some games, Venus doublefaulted away... etc. It was Venus's best chance and she blew it. I dont think Serena is ever going to give her that shot again.

AcesHigh
Jan 3rd, 2009, 10:20 PM

True, but with Venus's light schedule, I dont see her having a problem anytime soon. If anything, I see her reserving her best tennis for Wimbledon and USO for the next 4 years just like she's been doing for her entire career it seems.

Also, lately she's been playing smarter and coming to net more..ending points more quickly. I think Venus will be fine in terms of injuries, especially since it's rare she misses USO even when injured.

bandabou
Jan 3rd, 2009, 10:37 PM
of course...venus was also not at her peak in 02-03, and venus loves serena too much and it affects her when she plays, so all those losses to serena don't count either...but whenever venus wins the world is in order :rolleyes:

anyways...venus can win it again...but i doubt she will unless she plays peak tennis and is combined with maria and serena way off their games...and since i don't see that happening i see serena or maria beating her there :shrug:

:lol:

LightWarrior
Jan 3rd, 2009, 11:09 PM
I don't know. For some reason, she's trying to hard at the US Open, it's too heavy for her. Unlike at Wimbledon where she's flying.

Tennisstar86
Jan 4th, 2009, 02:18 AM

my point is that Pete who was clearly showing signs of age managed to squeek out a US Open title, but Venus who has not shown any signs of "old" age is getting too old..... and so what you're saying is Pete lost to the eventual champion two years in a row before winning the title....... and here Venus is losing to the eventual champion two years in a row and with tons of haters....

homogenius
Jan 4th, 2009, 02:50 AM
She has still one or two years to do it.Can she find the same confidence she has in Wimbledon ? Big question considering that even at USo where she played some of her best tennis outside Wimbledon the last few players, she wasn't strong enough mentally (the losses against Clijsters and Serena :o).
With a good draw she could do it but she better hurry up cause time goes by.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jan 4th, 2009, 03:08 AM
Kim and Maria should have won those matches... although Serena fought her way through both, they did choke terribly. Lindsay is a different story as is Kim in 2001.

Only some Serena fans seem to be deluded enough to not see that Venus choked that match away. If Serena had hit some miraculous winners on all the set points, that would be different. However, some of those points were easy putaways..some games, Venus doublefaulted away... etc. It was Venus's best chance and she blew it. I dont think Serena is ever going to give her that shot again.

only some venus fans seem to be deluded in thinking that because serena didn't hit a 'miraculous shot' that she did nothing to win the point except stand there...:weirdo: yet i seem to remember many points where serena (whose movement you always criticise) got so many shots back, forcing venus to hit one last shot...and as it goes these days off of grass, that is the perfect strategy...she broke down venus' game on some of those points, barring the few dfs, and it was almost in a jj like way...

but sorry, serena to you seems to have no say in the matches she grinds and fights her way out of, and those 5 slams where she defeated venus probably all came from 35 choking opponents :rolleyes:

Leo_DFP
Jan 4th, 2009, 03:14 AM

And Lindsay didn't reach a GS final since USO '00 before her multiple GS finals in 2005!

Need I mention Pierce?

Venus has always been in the picture, always been close. Age/athleticism will not be a worry for Venus in Flushing. Injuries are another matter.

friendsita
Jan 4th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Totally yes.

V&SWilliams Fan
Jan 4th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Yep she will win it again.