PDA

View Full Version : Favorites for OZ: How do YOU decide?

Volcana
Jan 2nd, 2009, 12:48 AM
We all have our favorites. We all have our favorites to win certain titles. How do you pick them? How do you decide who should be favored to win OZ?

Here are some of my factors in making a choice.

Health. Generally, you don't win OZ if you're injured.

The defending champ. Kind of obvious, but outside of injury, players rarely lose the ability to win a title in a single year

The winner of the last big tournament. Again, a bit obvious, but at least it tells you who;s playing well at the time. And of course, 'big tournament' a somewhat subjective. Some years Sydney is a 'big' tournament, despite being a Tier II, because of who plays. Whereas the 'big' tournament before Wimbledon is basically the French. Right now, the last big tournament before OZ is the YEC. We'll see who plays Sydney.

History at the tournament. Serena has won it three of the last six times. And this tournament has recently lent itself to multiple winners. Capriati won it twice. Hingis three times, Serena three times.

Prep. Players prepare SO diferently for the season. Some, clearly, aim to peak late inthe season. See Venus. Whereas in ten years (1998-2007), Martina Hingis made the finals or won of Sydney four times, OZ six times, and TPP eight times.

History on the Surface. This is last for reason. They 'tune' this surface. Some years it's lighning fast, some yeas it's the next slowest thing to green clay. And the summe weathe affects it too. The slower it is, the more it favors retrievers.

SO WHY is any given palyers going to win OZ?

Discuss

Optima
Jan 2nd, 2009, 12:56 AM
Jelena and Venus. They are my picks. Jelena is currently injury free, super motivated, rested, and apparently has trained intensely hard all through the off season, while I think Venus has some extra motivation after that YEC win.

The Daviator
Jan 2nd, 2009, 01:02 AM
On WTAWorld, it's the winner of the last big tournament, I mean all the people picking Dementieva to win the USO after Beijing :spit:

For me, it's simply who's the best, and that's Williams and Williams, they're always the faves for every tournament for me.

The Dawntreader
Jan 2nd, 2009, 01:06 AM
On WTAWorld, it's the winner of the last big tournament, I mean all the people picking Dementieva to win the USO after Beijing :spit:

For me, it's simply who's the best, and that's Williams and Williams, they're always the faves for every tournament for me.

That's pretty much my outlook pre-major, especially now with jUstine gone. If Venus and Serena play well, they can just take the draw apart.

Dave.
Jan 2nd, 2009, 01:09 AM
Surface is new so we don't have any experience of this one being "tuned".

I don't rate the YEC as much of an indicator for the AO because it's been over 2 months. Although Venus did finish very well, she is not the best starter to a season. But she is one to look for though.

I think Jankovic is ready as ever to win a slam, and the AO is one she should have a very good chance in if the other contenders perhaps don't start as well.

Along with Jankovic. Serena and Ana are my favourites to win the tournament. Excluding her loss last year, Serena normally plays well in Melbourne and did win the last slam convincingly. Ana played well on the surface last year, and I think a good end to 08 should (hopefully) have re-established some confidence. She will be hungry and keen to keep her top 5 rank.

CJ07
Jan 2nd, 2009, 01:11 AM
It depends on a player's health, confidence and draw. I think that if you put Venus against ball bashers she'll win, but if you put her against a ball basher and then a pusher, maybe not. Same with lots of players. Jankovic against all pushers she'll be fine, against all ball bashers, probably not.

etc.

MarieC
Jan 2nd, 2009, 01:11 AM
I look at results from the past few tournaments plus their current health. So I'd say Venus and Jelena are the favorites for Oz. Venus is healthy and won 2 tournaments in the fall, plus she played good at the US Open. Jelena had a very good fall season, only running out of gas at the end of it. She's rested up again and ready to go.

RenaSlam.
Jan 2nd, 2009, 01:14 AM
One word: Williams.

Uranium
Jan 2nd, 2009, 01:18 AM
The AO is the hardest slam to judge upon because it depends on how ready they are for it, if they are top shape physically and mentally ready for the first slam.
I usually base the favorites on who I want to win:lol:. But I think the favorites are Venus and Serena and not to be biased, but Serena usually does well in Melbourne and Venus is coming in with some good form. Also Safina, I really think she is gonna have another great year next year and pick up a slam.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Jan 2nd, 2009, 01:19 AM
If Serena and Venus show up motivated and a bit in-form one of them will win irrespective of how everyone else is playing.

young_gunner913
Jan 2nd, 2009, 01:21 AM
One word: Williams.

:hearts:

Aaron.
last name williams

Lucas_Arg
Sharapova, I don't know if she will win but she is my favourite.
If she doesn't, I will go with Serena, Venus won't win this slam and Jelena, well, she should have to poison the food of the other players or something if she wants to make it, so, no.