PDA

View Full Version : Which Grand Slam defender will. . .

vwfan
Jan 1st, 2009, 08:58 PM
exit earliest in their title defense?

Discuss.

Marionated
Jan 1st, 2009, 09:01 PM
Ana. I don't think she'd be able to handle the pressure. The others all have experience.

Uranium
Jan 1st, 2009, 09:03 PM
Maria.
Ana always seems to do well at RG for the past 4 years, while Maria will be rusty, Venus pretty much does well at Wimbledon and same for Serena.

raffles
Jan 1st, 2009, 09:08 PM
Sorry I missread this. I thought it was who will defend their title.

On to that it will be between:
1.)Maria - doubt she will even play
2.)Ana - same as everyone is saying, won't handle the pressure of being defending champ. R3 exit.

So I voted for Ana because since Maria won't play she can't exit early so it must be Ana that we will have to say a early goodbye.

I can't really predict Serena as we don't know what kind of state she'll be in August. I think Venus will hold on for the longest at Wimbledon and possibly defend.

Tennisstar86
Jan 1st, 2009, 09:12 PM
1.)Maria: Because of Rust
2.)Ana: Wont handle the pressure, we saw what happened this fall after she got to #1
3.)Serena: Might not play.

Craig.
Jan 1st, 2009, 09:13 PM
Might not play?

HRHoliviasmith
Jan 1st, 2009, 09:15 PM
1.)Maria: Because of Rust
2.)Ana: Wont handle the pressure, we saw what happened this fall after she got to #1
3.)Serena: Might not play.

????

LindsayRulz
Jan 1st, 2009, 09:17 PM
Either Maria or Ana. I'd choice Maria between these two because she's going to be rusty without any preperations before the AO. However she might surprise us again and do well. Ana will have time to get back on track before the FO but wouldn't be surprised of an early exit.

Ksenia.
Jan 1st, 2009, 09:25 PM
It depends... Maria hasn't played for a while so she might be in bad shape, and Ana has been slumping but I hope both girls will be ready to defend their titles :)

MarieC
Jan 1st, 2009, 09:26 PM
Maria. Too many question marks are still out there about her shoulder. Heck she might not even play the AO. I think Ana will at least make the QF at the FO, and Venus and Serena will go deep at Wimbledon and the USO as long as they're healthy

RenaSlam.
Jan 1st, 2009, 09:35 PM
Ivanovic.

Costanza
Jan 1st, 2009, 09:42 PM
Sharapova.

Sexysova
Jan 1st, 2009, 09:54 PM
I think Maria if she plays AO.. I read in Czech press she feels the same pain again like before the operation :sad:

Shvedbarilescu
Jan 1st, 2009, 09:54 PM
This is a no-brainer. Sharapova, she is coming from a long injury break and even if she is healthy it will be very hard to find her best form after 6 months out of the game.

Craig.
Jan 1st, 2009, 09:55 PM
I think Maria if she plays AO.. I read in Czech press she feels the same pain again like before the operation :sad:

Reliable source or not?

Sexysova
Jan 1st, 2009, 09:59 PM
Reliable source or not?

reliable..

Cp6uja
Jan 1st, 2009, 10:07 PM
Serena... after 2003 she never reach better result than QF at GS where reach final!
At other hand Maria, Ana and Venus won in 2008 GS tournaments where in previous 2007 season also played in final.

Talking about pressure on Ana to defend title it's nothing in comparasion with pressure which she already feels in Paris last year to reach career 1st slam and #1 spot.

Ksenia.
Jan 1st, 2009, 10:09 PM
I think Maria if she plays AO.. I read in Czech press she feels the same pain again like before the operation :sad:She wrote on her site few days ago that she had surgery and her shoulder is ok now, no pain :shrug:

supergrunt
Jan 1st, 2009, 10:10 PM
sharapova is a possibility

raffles
Jan 1st, 2009, 10:11 PM
Who in the Czech press would have that kind of scope of that state of Maria's shoulder? It's very possibly right but she's claiming she's physically fine so at least publicly she's not got the same pain. I find it all very suspect.

AnnaK_4ever
Jan 1st, 2009, 10:12 PM
Sharapova 40%
Ivanovic 30%
Serena 20%
Venus 10%

Sexysova
Jan 1st, 2009, 10:12 PM
I translated from Czech press!

Sharapova bothers with her shoulder after the surgery, she can miss Melbourne

Russian tennis star Maria Sharapova had to postpone her return on courts. Former world number one announced on her official website on Tuesday that her injured shoulder was operated in the middle of October 2008, because of her shoulder injury she was forced to end her season 2008 earlier. Even that surgery in New York didn't take off the problems with the shoulder.

"Unfortunately, after ten weeks of rehabilitation I started to train with tennis racquet and I feel the same pain, I was bothering with in March, again," Sharapova said. She played her last match in August when she pulled out of Montreal. After doctors found out that there're two scratches in tendons.

Sharapova pulled out of Hongkong exhibition on Tuesday where she should begin her return. Instead she can't be sure to hit the courts at the Australian Open where she's the defending champion. First Grand Slam of the season starts on 19th January 2009.

"I'm doing maximum to catch up the Australian Open but I promised to my doctors, family and my coach that I will not hurry to catch it."

raffles
Jan 1st, 2009, 10:15 PM
Ah I see what's happened. The article has basically cherry picked quotes from Sharapova's statement and put them out of context. She said after the rehab she still had pain therefore she had the operation and is now pain-free. If that's the real story or not I cannot say but that article has not accurately reported that she's saying.

AnnaK_4ever
Jan 1st, 2009, 10:15 PM

Russian tennis star Maria Sharapova had to postpone her return on courts. Former world number one announced on her official website on Tuesday that her injured shoulder was operated in the middle of October 2008, because of her shoulder injury she was forced to end her season 2008 earlier. Even that surgery in New York didn't take off the problems with the shoulder.

"Unfortunately, after ten weeks of rehabilitation I started to train with tennis racquet and I feel the same pain, I was bothering with in March, again," Sharapova said. She played her last match in August when she pulled out of Montreal. After doctors found out that there're two scratches in tendons.

That is NOT what she has stated on her official website :confused:

Ksenia.
Jan 1st, 2009, 10:17 PM

Sharapova pulled out of Hongkong exhibition on Tuesday where she should begin her return. Instead she can't be sure to hit the courts at the Australian Open where she's the defending champion. First Grand Slam of the season starts on 19th January 2009.

"I'm doing maximum to catch up the Australian Open but I promised to my doctors, family and my coach that I will not hurry to catch it."They probably got her wrong :) "Unfortunately after my 10 weeks of shoulder rehab, I started hitting and serving again and I still felt the same exact pain that I have had in my shoulder since March" (pre-surgery) "I had full range of motion after 14 days, after 6 weeks I was throwing a foot ball and after 8 weeks I was back on the court where I belong" (after surgery) :)

AnnaK_4ever
Jan 1st, 2009, 10:18 PM
That's how she explained her withdrawal:
"It's with much disappointment that I have to withdraw from Hong Kong. I've been using this event for the last five years to get match fit and ready for the new season, in fact Hong Kong has been successful in preparing me for the Australian Open. I am very sorry I won't be competing, and I deeply apologise to my fans and the sponsors that they won't see me there this year. I'm just not ready to play against the top class competition in Hong Kong, although I remain hopeful for Australia where I'm the defending champion. Believe me, it's been a very difficult decision, but I only started practicing 16 days ago. I love playing in Hong Kong, and the Organisers attract a world class field."

Sexysova
Jan 1st, 2009, 10:26 PM
thanks you.. but still I'm worried she won't play AO :unsure:

Craig.
Jan 1st, 2009, 11:16 PM

"I'm doing maximum to catch up the Australian Open but I promised to my doctors, family and my coach that I will not hurry to catch it."

Yup, pre-surgery.

Tennisstar86
Jan 2nd, 2009, 12:35 AM
????

Serena has only played all 4 grand slams 4 years while on tour.. we dont know what stat physically she'll be in. thats why i put her 3rd most likely to fall early. (Venus 4th just left her off)

Tennisstar86
Jan 2nd, 2009, 12:38 AM
Serena... after 2003 she never reach better result than QF at GS where reach final!
At other hand Maria, Ana and Venus won in 2008 GS tournaments where in previous 2007 season also played in final.

Talking about pressure on Ana to defend title it's nothing in comparasion with pressure which she already feels in Paris last year to reach career 1st slam and #1 spot.

And Ana tried to tank that pressure away too, but luckily Jankovic chocked more....
The pressure she felt in the fall, isnt the same as shes gonna feel as defending champion and I think she'll handle that the exact way she did at the US Open and Wimbledon